Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed.

Shaq can handle his own. I am more worried about Jerlame Oneal. The guy has shown flashes, but is always getting hurt!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticjay. Show celticjay's posts

I'm worried about Shaq's rebounding the past few weeks.  Many games he's only grabbing a couple of boards.  I know his minutes are down due to early foul trouble, but he's still a monster and should get some boards.  This team has been getting beaten badly there since Garnett's been out.  Harangody is the most active rebounder on the team.  

Cause for concern?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Shaq is what he is - his mobility is a little limited and many of the fouls are because he just reaches with his long arms.  In last nights game, I think there was some payback for Shaq from one of the officials he gave some smack to previously.  His rebounding is affected by his mobility and ability to just go get the ball, he can carve out space - but doesn't move well enought to really go after the ball.  Pierce gets a good # of rebounds and you can see he really gets up and goes after the ball when he has a chance to get it.  Rondo the same as he just chases the ball down.  Semi has sort of fumbly hands and doesn't seem to grab the ball really well.  Perk was never super mobile to get after the ball and that limits his rebouding ability.  Why does Kevin Love get so many rebounds?  He's got a nose for the ball, and at his size and with long arms, he really goes to get the ball and has the hands to grab it, that's the difference between an OK rebounder and a great rebounder. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Wanted one out of shape moron.  Someone who can destroy the chemistry quicker than acid.  A loud-mouth has-been.  One who really helps the guys around him learn the game.

Rasheed Walllace  --  17 Technical Fouls.  He coached Perk into 16 T's.  Some kind of tough rebounding guy, who plays under the boards, to help us with our "O" rebounding.  Tough to get rebounds when you are 23' from the basket.

A great shooting big man. In the play-offs, he shot 41.6% FG  --  34.5 % "3" 's  --  3 rebs  =  6.1 Pts..

Forget this guy.  he doesn't have what we need.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoCalCeltFan. Show SoCalCeltFan's posts

I'm afraid Shaq has nothing left. Really, he looks like a refugee from some "Y" League. He makes no effort to box out or get in position to rebound. Passes that even someone with a 6" vertical should grab he lets sail by. He 'lumbers' [the Bulls' announcer's words last Saturday] toward the hoop, seemingly with o idea what he's going to do. I didn't expect the Shaq from 5 years ago to show up this year, but I also didn't expect the Shaq of 5 years from NOW to show up either.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Sheed isn't coming back so the post is kind of irrelevant. We're gonna ride with what we have. JON should be your bigger concern, he can't stay on the court.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed.:
    Wanted one out of shape moron.  Someone who can destroy the chemistry quicker than acid.  A loud-mouth has-been.  One who really helps the guys around him learn the game. Rasheed Walllace  --  17 Technical Fouls.  He coached Perk into 16 T's.  Some kind of tough rebounding guy, who plays under the boards, to help us with our "O" rebounding.  Tough to get rebounds when you are 23' from the basket. A great shooting big man. In the play-offs, he shot 41.6% FG  --  34.5 % "3" 's  --  3 rebs  =  6.1 Pts.. Forget this guy.  he doesn't have what we need.  
    Posted by CaptChris

Hmmmm, that's one side of the story.  Its a true side 85% of the time.  Only 15% of the time during the regular season was he of any value.  But, that's too low of a percentage to retain the guy.  I HATED him during the regular reason.  I was praying they would just release him or sit him down permanently.  I wanted Sheldon to play more than Rasheed!!!!

Then the other side of the story happened. He played great in the post season.  Next to Garnett, he was our best big man.  I think he outplayed Perk because he played Defense AND offense (Perk provided only one of the two things).  He was the only one able to really challenge and block Gasol's shot and no one stopped him in his post ups.  He limited his 3 point attempts and went down low to do the dirty work.  He was the exact opposite of the regular season.  I loved this Rasheed.

So, what would we see if they could even sign him.....Dr. Jekyl or Mr. Hyde?  Who knows.  Doc may be able to motivate him.  Is it worth a gamble....maybe....maybe not.  I don't really know.  I just know its not as black and white as you portray it in your post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Remember, last year rasheed had a lot of issues with his back by the end of the season.  Perhaps he's had time to heal?  If he comes in at a decent weight and he wants to play, I say give him a shot.

Who would I release from the roster?  Well, if I were just looking at this year, maybe bradley.  If I were looking more long term, I'd rather lose wafer. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed.:
    Remember, last year rasheed had a lot of issues with his back by the end of the season.  Perhaps he's had time to heal?  If he comes in at a decent weight and he wants to play, I say give him a shot. Who would I release from the roster?  Well, if I were just looking at this year, maybe bradley.  If I were looking more long term, I'd rather lose wafer. 
    Posted by cole-ely

I'd send Bradley to the D league and keep Wafer.....he's starting to finally play better and he's athletic (which we need).  Wafer is only under contract this year for the league minimum so he won't be around next year anyway.   If Bradley develops in D-league, we can bring him up next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Good thinking

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Shaq's defense improves when KG is playing because KG is usually quick enough to help Shaq, and hide some of his pick and roll, and quickness issues. When KG comes back, things will improve.

Perk should also help, but it wil take time to get back to domination defense for him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

yea, but for 10 or 15 minutes a game as a bench player.  the fatigue of playing so much is wearing his legs out.  he has games where he look more mobile, and then it is gone again.  he's filling the role we need right now, but he could be killer off the bench in the playoffs with limited minutes and fresh legs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3+pointer. Show 3+pointer's posts

i have no clue

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think Shaq will be fine when KG, Rondo & the rest of the starters are all in the lineup.

Remember how good Shaq was early in the season? He was playing like a star & several announcers on TNT & NBA TV were saying he deserved to be on the All Star team. Well, Shaqs game has gone south since then.  Why it has is the question... but I think it will right itself. We especially need to start posting him more & getting him the ball early on.

Sheed? Id take him back in a second!  The guy was a disaster all reg season last year but showed his stuff in the playoffs... thats what we need him for..

Look at the center position.. Perk is an unknown .. Shaq hopefully returns to form.. Semi is a 3rd string center at best... JON prob done for his career..

Sheed is a very good defensive player, caused Bynum & Gasol all sorts of problems... he can post up and score when he wants to... Sheed played great team ball for us in the playoffs... so his retirement is perfect.. we didnt need to suffer with his reg season loafing & can get the benefits in the post season when he steps in the gas.,

All assuming, of course, that he doesnt weight 400lbs by now

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed. : I concur completely with your assessment but the fact remains that sending Bradley to D-League would not remove him from the roster to sign Sheed. He still counts as one of 15 guys in the roster. So the question should be: Who do we release if they want to sign Sheed?
    Posted by fiorelladad

You're right, a player who's assigned to the D league is automatically placed on the inactive list which is part of the 15 man roster.  So, the choice would have to be to release Jermaine.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Jerlame, a touch mean, but very funny.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Sheed managed to split the Boston locker roon into factions during the season.  He got anyone who was unhappy with their playing time, or use to his side.  He didn't work to solve any problems, he helped cause them.

In judging his play in the play-offs, we had no other options.  Perk was playing very poorly.  He almost disappeared in some play-off games.  So anyone who showed any life would look good in comparison.

Isn't it weird that people have to say Rasheed could do very well down low, when he wanted to go there.  Just seems that he didn't.  Anyone think that would change this year?

This year we have Shaq, Perk, Jermaine, and Erden and hopefully a healthy KG.  A totally different situation.

We don't need Wallace.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

In Response to Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed. : You're right, a player who's assigned to the D league is automatically placed on the inactive list which is part of the 15 man roster.  So, the choice would have to be to release Jermaine.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life
    I'm not sure you can just release a guy with a 2 year 12 mil contract.  How would that even work?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Can shaq deliver in big games am worried maybe there is need for sheed. : I'm not sure you can just release a guy with a 2 year 12 mil contract.  How would that even work?
    Posted by jeezem

I believe that you are right.  The Celtics could definitely use Rasheed instead of Jermaine, but it just isn't possible.  If Jermaine is out for the rest of the regular season, it definitely isn't good for us for the remainder of the season.  I just hope that Perk is back soon and able to contribute.  It probably will take him at least a few weeks to get back to being an effective player again. 

Sections
Shortcuts