CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season?

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season?:
    and for the record..ray does NOT get double teamed...bc u cant double ANYONE on our team without getting burned..congratulations for proving you dont watch the games...tune in tonite..you DO know theres a game tonite right?
    Posted by JamezHill24

Who's playing?

Pud

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season?

On argument by the critics of Rondo is that anyone could do what he does playing with 4 hall of famers.

from espn the other day:

Rondo has appeared in 33 of the Celtics' 44 games this season, and the numbers illustrate the type of effect he has on the team's offensive production, particularly that of Pierce, Allen, and O'Neal. In the games Rondo has played, Pierce has shot 52.4 percent from the floor, compared to 48.1 percent in the games Rondo has been absent from. Similarly, Allen has shot 51 percent from the field in the contests Rondo has played in, compared to 49.2 percent on Rondo-less nights. O'Neal, meanwhile, has shot an outstanding 70.7 percent from the floor in the 23 games he and Rondo have shared the floor, and a still impressive, yet appreciably lower 61 percent in the games he's played in without Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fryber. Show fryber's posts

People on this board just do not pay close attention to what other posters say, especially if they disagree with their views: I have read multiple posts on Rondo by Dudder, in this thread and in many others, and what he has said every single time is that if Rondo were replaced by one of around 12 other point guards in the league, the Cs would be as good as they are now or maybe even better. He has never said that "anyone could do what Rondo does", and he has certainly never said that Mario Chalmers or Nate Robinson would be one of those potential 12. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season?:
    People on this board just do not pay close attention to what other posters say, especially if they disagree with their views: I have read multiple posts on Rondo by Dudder, in this thread and in many others, and what he has said every single time is that if Rondo were replaced by one of around 12 other point guards in the league, the Cs would be as good as they are now or maybe even better. He has never said that "anyone could do what Rondo does", and he has certainly never said that Mario Chalmers or Nate Robinson would be one of those potential 12. 
    Posted by fryber

But isn't it telling playing with Rondo that Ray, Paul and Shaq are shooting career high shooting percentages? KG had one better year in Minnesota. This is happening because Rondo's of speed and vision. maybe 3 other point guards have that combination. certainly not 12. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

and for the record..ray does NOT get double teamed...bc u cant double ANYONE on our team without getting burned..congratulations for proving you dont watch the games...tune in tonite..you DO know theres a game tonite right?
    Posted by JamezHill24

I agree. Rondo in particular would burn any double team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

Posted by fryber

He has been saying that for four years. Almost no one agrees with him. Do you?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fryber. Show fryber's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : But isn't it telling playing with Rondo that Ray, Paul and Shaq are shooting career high shooting percentages? KG had one better year in Minnesota. This is happening because Rondo's of speed and vision. maybe 3 other point guards have that combination. certainly not 12. 
    Posted by jtkl

To me, the numbers that you quote are certainly revealing. I would not attribute them 100% to Rondo though. I think you have to also take into account Doc's system and the increasing familiarity among these guys after having played together already for 3 and 1/2 seasons (at least Paul, Ray and Kevin). The numbers that I would not take that seriously are those that show the difference in the team's performance this season with and without Rondo, because those just tell me that Rondo is better than Nate, which I think everyone here can agree on. 

Back to the question of whether there are as many of 12 guys or just 3 guys who could do as good a job as Rondo with the current team, I think that we will probably never know; it's a hypothetical question that we would only be able to answer if Rondo were to be traded for each of those potential 12. I think that the more relevant question is what will happen to Rondo's performance after the Big 3 are gone. With a different group of players (potentially with a lower level of talent than the Big 3) around him, will he be able to perform at a high level? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Fratello speaks the truth... Rondo will be left unguarded

watch the game tonite, if he isnt guarded then ill admit he isnt guarded. its not going to happen.
    Posted by JamezHill24

Well Jamez.... Did you hear Mike Fratello begin the game by stating that Portland would not "come running out to guard Rondo"... that they would give him the outside shot?

Don't take my word for it. I don't even watch the game... but Fratello is the color commentator... stating what everyone in the entire known universe acknowledges... except you. 

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : To me, the numbers that you quote are certainly revealing. I would not attribute them 100% to Rondo though. I think you have to also take into account Doc's system and the increasing familiarity among these guys after having played together already for 3 and 1/2 seasons (at least Paul, Ray and Kevin). The numbers that I would not take that seriously are those that show the difference in the team's performance this season with and without Rondo, because those just tell me that Rondo is better than Nate, which I think everyone here can agree on.  Back to the question of whether there are as many of 12 guys or just 3 guys who could do as good a job as Rondo with the current team, I think that we will probably never know; it's a hypothetical question that we would only be able to answer if Rondo were to be traded for each of those potential 12. I think that the more relevant question is what will happen to Rondo's performance after the Big 3 are gone. With a different group of players (potentially with a lower level of talent than the Big 3) around him, will he be able to perform at a high level? 
    Posted by fryber

I think the bigger point is...who cares?

There are also probably 12 shooting guards that could step in fo Ray Allen but Dudder doesn't go on and on about that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoneyShooter. Show MoneyShooter's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : I think the bigger point is...who cares? There are also probably 12 shooting guards that could step in fo Ray Allen but Dudder doesn't go on and on about that.
    Posted by Icon11

This is by far the best post on this thread. Truth. A slap in the mouth, if you will.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : I think the bigger point is...who cares? There are also probably 12 shooting guards that could step in fo Ray Allen but Dudder doesn't go on and on about that.
    Posted by Icon11

The play and value of Ray Allen is hardly a bitterly divisive issue here or anywhere else.

The play and value of Rondo most certainly is a bitterly polarizing and divisive issue... so lots of people must care!

I am sure that Dudder would agree that RA is quite replaceable but that debate rarely comes up. Few would disagree.

With Rondo, his value and game are fodder for debate all day every day.

This clueless  thread is little more than bait begun by a Rondophile to kick a stone-dead horse back to life once again.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : The play and value of Ray Allen is hardly a bitterly divisive issue here or anywhere else. The play and value of Rondo most certainly is a bitterly polarizing and divisive issue... so lots of people must care! I am sure that Dudder would agree that RA is quite replaceable but that debate rarely comes up. Few would disagree. With Rondo, his value and game are fodder for debate all day every day. This clueless  thread is little more than bait begun by a Rondophile to kick a stone-dead horse back to life once again. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

So why is it so irritating to you that some like myself think Rondo is not one of the very top point guards in the NBA but also think that he fits in well with this team and system?  You actually called me out on a thread recently because I don't think he is a problem but I also recognize that his lack of shooting ability knocks him down a bit from the top tier point guards.

I am not trying to bait you here I am genuinely curious. To me it's pretty obvious that what I wrote above is true.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : James... I know that you LUV Rondo... but its only puppy luv. Sorry! A midrange jumper that the ops will take seriously and feel a need to defend against.... is good enough for me. We're not talking RayAllen. RA gets double teamed. Rondo doesn't get double teamed.... he doesn't even get single teamed. 70% FTs I can live with. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

First off I want to say I like Rondo a lot, but his FT's are horrendous.  I have more faith in anyone on our team making 2 free throws than I do Rondo. I know he does a lot of good things but his free throw bother me more than anything.  I think he has started making and taking a few jumpers every game and I am not surprised when they go in.  The free throw part is in his head now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Dudder started ragging on Perk and Rondo early in their careers because posters here could see they would be above average players. For some reason he hated for someone to say something good about them.  I agree with one thing, a lot of times we go overboard when bragging on these guys. To already have Rondo in the HOF is simply ridiculous.  Now Dudder can not change him mind on these guys because he would have to admit he is wrong and been wrong for 3 years.  He is not going to do that.  It doesn't matter if they win 4 championships in a row, RR wins the assist title, makes the all defensive team and 2nd team all pro, Dudder will simply not give Rondo his due.  Of course he had Perkins flipping burgers right before his last million dollar contract.  Man it hurts to be wrong so many times.  I think he actually believe his nonsense now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Dudder started ragging on Perk and Rondo early in their careers because posters here could see they would be above average players. For some reason he hated for someone to say something good about them.  I agree with one thing, a lot of times we go overboard when bragging on these guys. To already have Rondo in the HOF is simply ridiculous.  Now Dudder can not change him mind on these guys because he would have to admit he is wrong and been wrong for 3 years.  He is not going to do that.  It doesn't matter if they win 4 championships in a row, RR wins the assist title, makes the all defensive team and 2nd team all pro, Dudder will simply not give Rondo his due.  Of course he had Perkins flipping burgers right before his last million dollar contract.  Man it hurts to be wrong so many times.  I think he actually believe his nonsense now.
    Posted by OneOnOne

Dudder makes more sense than many of the posters at the other extreme IMHO. Not perfect sense... but more sense. Yes there is ego involved.

Rondo finally developing a serviceable jumper and hitting FTs at 70% changes everything... and Dudder will come around. The problem is that Rondo isn't likely to get to this skill level wearing green.

And so the divisiveness continues ad nauseum with silly azz threads like this one... and the HOF thread that I won't even open.

A year ago when I came onboard, anyone who criticized Rondo, no matter how litely, was demonized and vilified. The Celtic goons here went wild attacking Rondo critics... especially Dudder and to a lesser extent, myself. 

The tide has changed since then... and more posters are speaking out now despite homophobic and homicidal threats.

Things have changed for the better... but the issue continues to be very, very bitter... on both sides.

I have to wonder how divisive this issue may be within the Celtic locker room, particularly after having the hated Lakers down 3 games to 2 in the finals.

Its there.  It has to be.

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN why Rajon Rondo is the reason we lost the Finals for us last season? : Dudder makes more sense than many of the posters at the other extreme IMHO. Not perfect sense... but more sense. Yes there is ego involved. Rondo finally developing a serviceable jumper and hitting FTs at 70% changes everything... and Dudder will come around. The problem is that Rondo isn't likely to get to this skill level wearing green. And so the divisiveness continues ad nauseum with silly azz threads like this one... and the HOF thread that I won't even open. A year ago when I came onboard, anyone who criticized Rondo, no matter how litely, was demonized and vilified. The Celtic goons here went wild attacking Rondo critics... especially Dudder and to a lesser extent, myself.  The tide has changed since then... and more posters are speaking out now despite homophobic and homicidal threats. Things have changed for the better... but the issue continues to be very, very bitter... on both sides. I have to wonder how divisive this issue may be within the Celtic locker room, particularly after having the hated Lakers down 3 games to 2 in the finals. Its there.  It has to be. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Don't kid yourself. When it comes to the criticism of Rondo ..you and Dudder are almost alone out here in la la land.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

yea pud, continue to blame him for the last two losses in the finals..sad..so question, if its Rondo that tears the acl in game 6 and not perk, we win? 

he has the serviceable jumper so we are ALL just waiting on the FT. it may never come, and tho we all hope it does, im okay with the pg that we have rite now bc hes still a top 3 pg in the league. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

the farther we go in the playoffs, the rawer this subject will get. should be lively around here come springtime.

Sections
Shortcuts