Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasCELTICfan. Show texasCELTICfan's posts

Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?

This new poster on your excellent board fears Ainge might just capitulate to Portland and include Baby in a deal for Fernandez.

Yes, I know, Danny has told us he expects Glen to make a big "leap" in his game in 2010-2011, but that doesn't change the fact Davis will be an UFA after this campaign.  Is it worth parting with Davis now?--especially if a coupling of Shaq and Fernandez manifests itself on the C's roster.

Any thoughts fellow C's fans as to what Baby's value is to the C's moving forward? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?

I don't think they can afford to lose BBD, I would not include him in that deal.  They need all the bodies they can get, and there is no Perk for half the season and Wallace is likely gone.  BBD stands to get more minutes to rest KG, and because O'Neal is only going to play so many minutes. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Why would Portland want BBD?  LaMarcus Aldridge is going to play 40+ minutes at pf, and they have Oden, Camby and Przybilla to round out a stocked front court.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LightSaber. Show LightSaber's posts

It's funny the same people keep wanting Big Baby traded. The only backup PF and the Celtics best rebounder to be traded for a SG? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasCELTICfan. Show texasCELTICfan's posts

In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?:
    Why would Portland want BBD?  LaMarcus Aldridge is going to play 40+ minutes at pf, and they have Oden, Camby and Przybilla to round out a stocked front court.
    Posted by jm02130

Of the four names you mention only one will be a sure frontcourt contributor for Portland: Aldridge.  Oden's injury history precludes him from being a reliable entity.  Camby's age limits his ability to log big minutes.  And Przybilla...well, I'm not sure what he brings to the court aside from an occasional blocked shot and a heap of foul trouble.

Baby, for the aforementioned reasons, would be an excellent addition for Portland, and the usually reliable Chris Forsberg has now reported multiple times that Davis might be what the Blazers seek in a swap for Fernandez.

What was the old saw about the proverbial "smoke and fire"?  A "Baby deal" could go down and, needless to say, that worries this diehard C's fan.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from texasCELTICfan. Show texasCELTICfan's posts

It's funny the same people keep wanting Big Baby traded. The only backup PF and the Celtics best rebounder to be traded for a SG? 
    Posted by LightSaber

Who, LightSaber, wants to see Baby get traded?  I'm just shining a light into dark corners here. 

If you don't want to believe that the possibility of a Baby trade exists, then you don't want to think about how Baby's UFA status after 2010-2011 might facilitate such a move.  It's less about the acquisition of a SG IMHO than it is about Ainge's willingness to make a long term committment to Davis.  Ainge has given us little insight into his long term committment to Davis and that should worry you just a tad LightSaber. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from toineson. Show toineson's posts

I don't mean to keep beating the same horse, but if we do trade Big Baby then we definitely need to bring in Antoine Walker for a look.

Who are the best 3 FA PF's available?  IMO it's down to Toine, Anthony Tolliver (who is likely to sign with either Golden State or Minnesota) and Louis Amundson.  (Sorry Brian Scalabrine and Mikki Moore, but I'm not including you in this group.  You may have been on an NBA roster last season but that doesn't automatically make you guys superior options)...And while Toine's foibles are well documented, the fact remains that he provides a certain versatility as well as experience/durability/reliability (5 seasons of playing a full 82 games which no current Celtic can match... heck, Jermaine O'Neal has never even had ONE season of playing a full 82) that few others can top. 

And while the topic of a Toine reunion is germane to this thread since we are talking about losing a PF, I don't mean to hijack it further... so if anyone wants to sound off or vote on the Toine issue, be sure to head over to the "BRING BACK TOINE" thread. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

in my view....If the C's get Fernandez more than likely the principal return for the Trail Blazers will be draft picks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

I would do BBD for Fernandez and Nicolas Batum, assuming Batum has rehabbed his shoulder.

I could see a three-way where the Celtics send BBD and a second rounder to Portland and 3M in cash to Phoenix.  Celtics get Fernandez and a resigned Amundson (two year deal starting at $2M).  Blazers get BBD and the second rounder, Suns get Nicholas Batum and the $3M.

I think that works unless Amundson becomes a BYC player as a result of his new deal. If it doesn't, I would take Jared Dudley instead.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

I'm no expert on trade rules, but I don't think Rudy for BBD can be done because the salaries don't match.  So it would need to be a larger trade with more players and/or draft picks involved.  But if a straight up trade is possible, no way.  You don't fill a hole by creating another one. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I posted this elsewhere but it belongs in this thread specifically

Why does everyone want to include Glen Davis in these deals?  I think Davis is an excellent power forward at his size.  He always uses the rim to his advantage to keep defenders away.  He carves out space and boxes like a real rebounder.  He is tough and tough minded.  He runs an excellent pick and roll with Rondo and Pierce and does all the right moves on defense.  My nephew and I discussed once about Baby.  He determined had Baby gone to the Clips or some other weak sister he could well be on his way out of the league by now.  But, with a mentor like Garnett chellenging him to be his best, literally getting in his face, he has risen to a second tier player.  He may even be seen at some future All-Star games.  I hate to say this but he reminds me of Barkley...nowhere near as ferocios and consistent, but even Barkley and Shaq have pointed out the similarities.  He's outperformed Rodney Stuckey two years ago.  He made all the right reverse moves against the Magic this past playoffs.  I think he is a major piece of the future.  Some seem to want it both ways; they want to get younger but want to trade their best young talents.  I don't understand that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Fernandez for Oliver Lafayette and Tony Gaffney works in the trade machine haha...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from balticprince. Show balticprince's posts

Big Baby is not going to be included in any trade for Rudy Fernandez. Enough already. Sigh....

In Response to Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?:
    This new poster on your excellent board fears Ainge might just capitulate to Portland and include Baby in a deal for Fernandez. Yes, I know, Danny has told us he expects Glen to make a big "leap" in his game in 2010-2011, but that doesn't change the fact Davis will be an UFA after this campaign.  Is it worth parting with Davis now?--especially if a coupling of Shaq and Fernandez manifests itself on the C's roster. Any thoughts fellow C's fans as to what Baby's value is to the C's moving forward? 
    Posted by texasCELTICfan

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Davis is a nice player but he is expendible, and to get value you have to give value.  Besides, they've got two young pfs coming to camp, and one of them (Harangotty) has shown some promise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

I don't think anyone available can replace Baby on our roster.  His unique skill set, knowledge of our system, and his relationships, cannot be replaced.

He just brings too much to the table and we want to win this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I don't mean to keep beating the same horse, but if we do trade Big Baby then we definitely need to bring in Antoine Walker for a look. Who are the best 3 FA PF's available?  IMO it's down to Toine, Anthony Tolliver (who is likely to sign with either Golden State or Minnesota) and Louis Amundson.  (Sorry Brian Scalabrine and Mikki Moore, but I'm not including you in this group.  You may have been on an NBA roster last season but that doesn't automatically make you guys superior options)...And while Toine's foibles are well documented, the fact remains that he provides a certain versatility as well as experience/durability/reliability (5 seasons of playing a full 82 games which no current Celtic can match... heck, Jermaine O'Neal has never even had ONE season of playing a full 82) that few others can top.  And while the topic of a Toine reunion is germane to this thread since we are talking about losing a PF, I don't mean to hijack it further... so if anyone wants to sound off or vote on the Toine issue, be sure to head over to the "BRING BACK TOINE" thread. 
    Posted by toineson

You've got to be kidding,  right?  Must be a family member.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

IMHO Louis Amundson would be a perfectly adequate replacement for Davis.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from balticprince. Show balticprince's posts

Amundsen will be a nice 11th man, since Big Baby will NOT be included in a trade for Rudy Fernandez. YAWN~

IMHO Louis Amundson would be a perfectly adequate replacement for Davis.
    Posted by jm02130

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

I posted this elsewhere but it belongs in this thread specifically

Why does everyone want to include Glen Davis in these deals?  I think Davis is an excellent power forward at his size.  He always uses the rim to his advantage to keep defenders away.  He carves out space and boxes like a real rebounder.  He is tough and tough minded.  He runs an excellent pick and roll with Rondo and Pierce and does all the right moves on defense.  My nephew and I discussed once about Baby.  He determined had Baby gone to the Clips or some other weak sister he could well be on his way out of the league by now.  But, with a mentor like Garnett chellenging him to be his best, literally getting in his face, he has risen to a second tier player.  He may even be seen at some future All-Star games.  I hate to say this but he reminds me of Barkley...nowhere near as ferocios and consistent, but even Barkley and Shaq have pointed out the similarities.  He's outperformed Rodney Stuckey two years ago.  He made all the right reverse moves against the Magic this past playoffs.  I think he is a major piece of the future.  Some seem to want it both ways; they want to get younger but want to trade their best young talents.  I don't understand that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez?:
    This new poster on your excellent board fears Ainge might just capitulate to Portland and include Baby in a deal for Fernandez. Yes, I know, Danny has told us he expects Glen to make a big "leap" in his game in 2010-2011, but that doesn't change the fact Davis will be an UFA after this campaign.  Is it worth parting with Davis now?--especially if a coupling of Shaq and Fernandez manifests itself on the C's roster. Any thoughts fellow C's fans as to what Baby's value is to the C's moving forward? 
    Posted by texasCELTICfan
    I don't think you have too worry about BBD leaving anytime soon. I would love to see Fernandez make his way to the Celtics but at a prohibitive cost. Also their contracts don't match up! So unless Portland is sending much more to the Celtics than just Fernandez they won't be swapping BBD for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

BBD is going nowhere unless  someone is willing to overpay DA for him.  Rudy F is not overpayment.  I am amazed this thread is even being discussed.   The machinations being discussed especially the three way deal with Phoenix and Amundson seem incredibly far fetched.  Eventually something is going to be done let's hope we get to fleece someone.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from binbones. Show binbones's posts

Posted by jm02130

dude , c'mon....."Oden...Przybilla...."stocked front court"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........you mean....MOCKED-STUNT-BUNCH....  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

What has Glen Davis done (on the court) to deserve the lack of respect he's receiving here?  The guy is what he is, and it's been all positive. He's active, solid (in body and game), knows and accepts his role, and provides a much needed spark at critical times.  Just because he's not taller or longer doesn't mean he hasn't been getting the job done.  When has he stunk up the joint, so to speak?  There may be more creative means of acquiring Fernandez than giving up Davis.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

In Response to Re: Can the C's risk losing Baby in a deal for Rudy Fernandez? : dude , c'mon....."Oden...Przybilla...." stocked front court"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........you mean .... MOCKED-STUNT-BUNCH....  
    Posted by binbones

So are you saying that you wouldn't trade BBD for any one of those 4 players, assuming everyone was healthy?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Re: I posted this elsewhere but it belongs in this thread specifically

In Response to I posted this elsewhere but it belongs in this thread specifically:
    Posted by shines01
        It is strange to read a poster who understands the game like you do, you have an excellent basketball mind.

Sections
Shortcuts