Case for/against Jeff Green?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Case for/against Jeff Green?

Case for:  DA needs to acquire assets to develop as players or to use as trade chips.  Trading Perk for Green and then letting Green walk means we should've just kept Perk and took our chances with him in free agency. 

Case against:  Green is a role player on a contender and will likely want to be paid like a starter.  Green is not leading this team anywhere, and if he's a top 3 core player you're bang in trouble.   

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : Murphy did not sign in NJ as free agent. He was part of a 4 team trade that allowed the Pacers to dump his salary. In NJ, he was beaten out of minutes by Humphries and the Nets need to develop  Favors.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

You're right. But, he did average 14 pts/10.5 rebounds a game for two years before this. Makes sense now that you explained the minutes, especially with Lopez manning the 5, Humphries is similiar, younger, tougher. I'd still like to give him a serious look in preseason

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : You're right. But, he did average 14 pts/10.5 rebounds a game for two years before this. Makes sense now that you explained the minutes, especially with Lopez manning the 5, Humphries is similiar, younger, tougher. I'd still like to give him a serious look in preseason
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]
    Giving Murphy a serious look in preseason is the easy part. At what cost is the hard part.
    Murphy's 14 points come via camping out at the 3 point line. (Shades of Raef?)
    Murphy also brings zero athleticism, zero defense and zero protection of the rim. That being said, as Baby is out the door, I could envision Murphy taking 18 minutes from KG next year. However, if Celts do take him back, they also need an esxperienced C that can defend the rim. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : Giving Murphy a serious look in preseason is the easy part. At what cost is the hard part. Murphy's 14 points come via camping out at the 3 point line. (Shades of Raef?) Murphy also brings zero athleticism, zero defense and zero protection of the rim. That being said, as Baby is out the door, I could envision Murphy taking 18 minutes from KG next year. However, if Celts do take him back, they also need an esxperienced C that can defend the rim. 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

I can only assume that you and everyone else knows that with the MLE already used and being way over the cap that the team is very limited as to whom they can sign that is not already on the roster?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: The guy hits threes and posts up well........

In Response to The guy hits threes and posts up well........:
    [QUOTE]He can get up and down the court with Rondo. Maybe the only one on the Celtics roster besides Delonte. His defense will get better and played reasonably well against LeBron. Note, LeBron's biggest shots were on Pierce. He is definitely a keeper.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

Uhh, no. James hit a few fallaway threes on pierce, but by the number HJames Devoured Green. Scored agaisnt him at will and forced the Celtics to help, something they didn't have to do with Pierce guarding him. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from terrrapin. Show terrrapin's posts

In Response to Re: The guy hits threes and posts up well........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The guy hits threes and posts up well........ : Uhh, no. James hit a few fallaway threes on pierce, but by the number HJames Devoured Green. Scored agaisnt him at will and forced the Celtics to help, something they didn't have to do with Pierce guarding him. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

What game were you watching? Game 2 is ours if Pierce makes James put the ball on the floor after the Ray Allen 3 in front of the Celtics bench. A two has us still with the lead and the ball. The momentum had switched. He allowed him to drain the huge three and changed the game way before Rondo's blown layup. Also in game 5 he hit two huge threes in a row after James Jones shot to blow that lead out and the game. No, he didn't score  at will against Green.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tabuckiss. Show Tabuckiss's posts

Jeff is only YOUNG....can DUNK without pulling a calf muscle....is SMART, AND TEACHABLE...he's TALL..in in control of himself....he a must save to build on with Rondo teaching him...yea...this is a no brainer!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : Totally unfair assessment. He joined the team midseason, when there is little to no practice time to get acclimated, and was asked to play at least 3 different spots while guarding, at times, the best player on the other team. It's rare for a player to get traded to a good team, especially one with a core that'd been together for a while, and figure out how to fit in. Of COURSE he looks lost and aloof at times, we were watching him do in real games what he needed to learn on the practice court...which will happen next year. As for saying he doesn't have a killer instinct...I have no idea how you can even go there. Does he not play with intensity? He wouldn't have the ball in his hands with a chance to win it anyway, so how can you judge that? That's a completely objective statement that I doubt you can back up in any way, shape or form. He;s a very good, young, skilled player. Ainge DRAFTED this guy and dealt him in the Allen deal, he knew what he was getting back for Perkins. I'm willing to bet Ainge had plenty of other offers for the big man (who was NOT signing here), and he CHOSE Green over others. Is Nazr Mohammed a FA?

We do have his time with the Thunder too. Sure he scored a decent amount he also gave up more than he scored on defense when he was there. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The guy hits threes and posts up well........ : What game were you watching? Game 2 is ours if Pierce makes James put the ball on the floor after the Ray Allen 3 in front of the Celtics bench. A two has us still with the lead and the ball. The momentum had switched. He allowed him to drain the huge three and changed the game way before Rondo's blown layup. Also in game 5 he hit two huge threes in a row after James Jones shot to blow that lead out and the game. No, he didn't score  at will against Green.
    Posted by terrrapin[/QUOTE]

Apparenlty I watched the one you missed. You Never Want James to put the ball on the floor. YOU WANT him to shoot threes.  Your defense has done it's job if he is shooting threes. Exspecially fallaway threes. 

According to Newmann and Oliver, Pierce checked LeBron 69 percent of the time, with Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green and Marquis Daniels (no longer with the team) filling in the rest. But against Pierce, LeBron shot just 43 percent from the field and his efficiency plummeted to depths rarely seen from him. In fact, LeBron scored 75 points per 100 possessions with Pierce covering him, down from his 93 points per 100 possessions when guarded by all other Celtics defenders.

Agaisnt Green lebron was shooting 60% in the playoffs. until game 3 where he did start to play a bit better. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The guy hits threes and posts up well........ : Apparenlty I watched the one you missed. You Never Want James to put the ball on the floor. YOU WANT him to shoot threes.  Your defense has done it's job if he is shooting threes. Exspecially fallaway threes.  According to Newmann and Oliver, Pierce checked LeBron 69 percent of the time, with Rajon Rondo, Jeff Green and Marquis Daniels (no longer with the team) filling in the rest. But against Pierce, LeBron shot just 43 percent from the field and his efficiency plummeted to depths rarely seen from him. In fact, LeBron scored 75 points per 100 possessions with Pierce covering him, down from his 93 points per 100 possessions when guarded by all other Celtics defenders. Agaisnt Green lebron was shooting 60% in the playoffs. until game 3 where he did start to play a bit better. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

Exactly right..... I am often confused how LeBron pounds the ball into the floor at the circle and has a distinct advantage against a guy and dribbles behind his back between his leg gives a jab step and then shoots a 3 and misses badly quite often..... take dude off the bounce and put Spaulding on his forehead...

I just saw an interview with LeBron and he said he will be taking the ball to the rim and not settling for 3s.

If he could elevate his free throw shooting to around 90% and become a better 3 point shooter he could become the greatest ever but in the meantime he should take the ball to the hoop on every single possession....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : Totally unfair assessment. He joined the team midseason, when there is little to no practice time to get acclimated, and was asked to play at least 3 different spots while guarding, at times, the best player on the other team. It's rare for a player to get traded to a good team, especially one with a core that'd been together for a while, and figure out how to fit in. Of COURSE he looks lost and aloof at times, we were watching him do in real games what he needed to learn on the practice court...which will happen next year. As for saying he doesn't have a killer instinct...I have no idea how you can even go there. Does he not play with intensity? He wouldn't have the ball in his hands with a chance to win it anyway, so how can you judge that? That's a completely objective statement that I doubt you can back up in any way, shape or form. He;s a very good, young, skilled player. Ainge DRAFTED this guy and dealt him in the Allen deal, he knew what he was getting back for Perkins. I'm willing to bet Ainge had plenty of other offers for the big man (who was NOT signing here), and he CHOSE Green over others. Is Nazr Mohammed a FA?

Hey, like PP said after the trade "in DA we trust" .  I hope your right!! I can only judge from what I have seen from him in OKC and here in Boston.   I don't see it but I hope you are right! Would love to be wrong about this!  We shall see!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]Case for:  DA needs to acquire assets to develop as players or to use as trade chips.  Trading Perk for Green and then letting Green walk means we should've just kept Perk and took our chances with him in free agency.  Case against:  Green is a role player on a contender and will likely want to be paid like a starter.  Green is not leading this team anywhere, and if he's a top 3 core player you're bang in trouble.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.  If we keep butter fingers, I hope I am wrong.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigJoedaddyBoston. Show BigJoedaddyBoston's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The guy hits threes and posts up well........ : Uhh, no. James hit a few fallaway threes on pierce, but by the number HJames Devoured Green. Scored agaisnt him at will and forced the Celtics to help, something they didn't have to do with Pierce guarding him. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]

Thank you for clarifying this.  Lebron treated Green like a 3rd grader was defending him out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : You're right. But, he did average 14 pts/10.5 rebounds a game for two years before this. Makes sense now that you explained the minutes, especially with Lopez manning the 5, Humphries is similiar, younger, tougher. I'd still like to give him a serious look in preseason

Are you saying you really WANT the NJ Nets reject who is worse than Humpries and lopez?   So, we are now so bad that we WANT the Nets rejects.....a guy who can't get minutes on either the C's nor the Nets??   Wow, what makes you want a guy like that?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Case for/against Jeff Green? : I can only assume that you and everyone else knows that with the MLE already used and being way over the cap that the team is very limited as to whom they can sign that is not already on the roster?
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]
    The MLE is availible every year because it only effect the first year of the contract. The Bi-Annual Exemption is every other year.

Sections
Shortcuts