CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!"

this guy is prune to some hyperbole esp when it comes to taking jabs at larry who he still blames for getting him traded after his slow recovery from knee surgery back in the day. his logic is that russ was the best defensive player but far from the best offensive player. feels that hondo is the best offensive player (edge over pp and bird) but was far from the best defensive player. kg he feels is proving right now that he has the skills to be close to the BEST offensive player and that he is right up there with russ. so all things considered, that would make KG the best overall celtic ever!

methinks cedric overspiked his CORNBREAD!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!"

The previous big three was assembled much earlier in their careers.  That is the primary difference.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Maxwell said that KG is greatest Celtics ever makes no sense.  Where did he say that?  Russell and Bird played thirteen years here!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

I,ve got KG 3rd best, even if he had played his whole career in Boston, no way would he pass Russ or LB. Hard to put him above Cowens, McHale, Hondo, Cousy and Sam, but his athletic ability for someone his size is off the charts!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I wouldn't even put him over PP.  It's just a matter of time with the organization if nothing else. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

The person responsible for this thread is known for hyperbole.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

'The person responsible for this thread is known for hyperbole.

lol yeah just a tad. CC, if you're going to say KG is the best Celtic why not just the best player ever? Let's do this. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bird best offensive player, Russ best defensive player

Hondo the best mix of both for a wing

KG the best mix of both for a big

Not really sure how he can say KG best ever when his best ball ever came in Minnesota, yes he has played close to his best ball ever here in '08 and '12 (since March) but he was like this for 6-7 straight years and playoffs in MN and played the worst ball since his 2nd year in the NBA from his Feb of '09 injury to Feb of '12 when he snapped out of this year.

And he should be considered a top 12-15 player EVER, but Russ is #2 and Bird somewhere around #4-7 and those rankings won't change and those gs played their entire careers here, winning 11/3 titles to 1 (so far).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!":
    [QUOTE]The person responsible for this thread is known for hyperbole.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

hahahaha

understatement of the year

I told CC once that I will respond to his threads that interest me with actual posst... but most of what he puts on this board is attention craving gossip page trash b/c the guy is immature, has no life and is desperate for strangers on an internet forum to interact with him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I think Maxwell said this on WEEI. His point was that KG was a better defensive player than Bird and a better offensive player than Russell.

After the segment was over ordway had some fun with that, pointing out that Kevin McHale was a better offensive player than Russell and a better defender than Bird.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

True.

McHale's defense was tremendous before the foot injury. People forget he was the guy guarding 'Nique, Worthy, King, Dr. J a lot of the time... as fast as a 3 with the length of a 5 (like KG... who guarded Kobe and other wings back in the day).

KG was the better rebounder, shot blocker, pick and role defender, talker, etc. Gets the edge overall.

Then again McHale was the more talented offensive player, probably equal as far as points they'd typically drop in their prime... but McHale (who later taught the young KG this stuff) was one of the most talented and difficult to guard post players of all time. KG has a better 18-22 footer, but McHale was no slouch from 15-19.

Based on those 13 seasons and 3 titles compared to 5 and 1... you can't put KG over McHale as an all-time CELTIC.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Ram, IMHO Kevin McHale was probably the best non-center low post offensive player ever, I don't think there has ever been a forward who was as skilled with his back to basket as Kevin. And his defense certainly did cover for Bird's shortcomings as a defender.

As a NBA player KG is better than Kevin but as a Celtic it is hard to say. But even if Cornbread's point was regardless of length of Celtic tenure, it is a hard argument to say KG is a better career player than Bird or Russell. Too many folks dismiss Russell perhaps because the era is long ago IMO including it would appear Cornbread Maxwell.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Ram, IMHO Kevin McHale was probably the best non-center low post offensive player ever, I don't think there has ever been a forward who was as skilled with his back to basket as Kevin. And his defense certainly did cover for Bird's shortcomings as a defender. As a NBA player KG is better than Kevin but as a Celtic it is hard to say. But even if Cornbread's point was regardless of length of Celtic tenure, it is a hard argument to say KG is a better career player than Bird or Russell. Too many folks dismiss Russell perhaps because the era is long ago IMO including it would appear Cornbread Maxwell.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Great post, agree completely

The guy I think compares to McHale most is Hakeem

After that you have guys who are special at one thing (like a skyhook) and/or are just massive and dominant for their era's (basically went Wilt-Jabbar-Moses-Shaq) but they were all Center's.

Duncan is a PF and he rivals McHale

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

Can understand why Maxwell would say that. However I wouldn't know where to put Garnett in the all time Celtics list. This really denegrates Paul Pierce a bit. However, no Garnett = no championship.

If you are talking about greatest Celtics, start with Russell. Then insert "daylight" then start debating who is number two.

Garnett is similar to Russell in that he bought success to Boston. However with Russell he bought it 11 times. Not just in Boston, but for San Francisco and the 1956 Olympic Games. No Russell, no championships for Boston in my mind.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Can understand why Maxwell would say that. However I wouldn't know where to put Garnett in the all time Celtics list. This really denegrates Paul Pierce a bit. However, no Garnett = no championship. If you are talking about greatest Celtics, start with Russell. Then insert "daylight" then start debating who is number two. Garnett is similar to Russell in that he bought success to Boston. However with Russell he bought it 11 times. Not just in Boston, but for San Francisco and the 1956 Olympic Games. No Russell, no championships for Boston in my mind.
    Posted by Skins and Heart[/QUOTE]

Garnett and Ray Allen both have gold medal's

since ur an LA fan, here is how I'd compare KG to purple players:

If KG doesn't win a title this year and retired (the WORST case) he would compare closest to Wilt (5 years, 1 title, 1 finals loss), only not quite as great all-time.

If KG wins a title and retires, or doesn't win a title but reaches the final 1-2 more times, plays 2 more seasons, it gets tricky. His career here would probably compare closest to Pau (5-7 seasons, 2 titles) only a much better player all-time or maybe Jamaal Wilkes, who played 8 seasons and won 3 titles as a 17-21 ppg guy (likely more titles than KG can possibly get) yet was nothing more than a 3rd banana (which KG was in '10/'11 and injured in '09) on any title team and a bench player in '85 (which KG could be on a title team in 2-3 years we never know).

If KG wins a title this year and plays 2-3 more years he would start to compare to Shaq (8 years, 3 titles) and if he won a 3rd titles them KG would have to have the same legacy in Boston (top 6?) that Shaq does in LA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!" : Garnett and Ray Allen both have gold medal's since ur an LA fan, here is how I'd compare KG to purple players: If KG doesn't win a title this year and retired (the WORST case) he would compare closest to Wilt (5 years, 1 title, 1 finals loss), only not quite as great all-time. If KG wins a title and retires, or doesn't win a title but reaches the final 1-2 more times, plays 2 more seasons, it gets tricky. He would probably compare closest to Pau (5-7 seasons, 2 titles) only a better player all-time or maybe Jamaal Wilkes, who played 8 seasons and won 3 titles as a 17-21 ppg guy (likely more titles than KG can possibly get) yet was nothing more than a 3rd banana (which KG was in '10/'11 and injured in '09) on any title team and a bench player in '85 (which KG could be on a title team in 2-3 years we never know). If KG wins a title this year and plays 2-3 more years he would start to compare to Shaq (8 years, 3 titles) and if he won a 3rd titles them KG would have to have the same legacy in Boston (top 6?) that Shaq does in LA.
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]
    Pau with two titles is not even comparable to KG.  KG is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the dominant players of his era. Pau is a fine player who was going nowhere until put on competitive team.  There is really no comparison and I am sure you know that.  Pau is hardly a lock for the hall of fame.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Where do you rank Wilt, Shaq, Wilkes and Pau?

I say all-time Lakers are:

Magic
    Kareem
    West
    Kobe
    Baylor
    Shaq
    Worthy
    Wilt
    Wilkes
    Pau
    Goodrich
    Scott

Mikan doesn't make the list as the exit from Minneapolis was so poorly done and shameful, those teams/titles so disrespected for decades (until it became clear just during the Shaq/Kobe years that they had a shot to catch Boston) that I don't even think they should be part of LA's 16.

And names like 'Lakers' and 'Jazz' should NEVER leave places like Minny and New Orleans. Like 'Sonics' should never leave Seattle.

Kareem and Magic can be flip-flopped in my opinion, arguments either way, but since Kareem was such a sally in LA's titles. injured in 1980 and basically a 7 rebound a game guy the entire decade of the 80's getting by b/c he was 7'2" I go with the player who I think was more gifted and played Center as a 21 year old rookie.

West and Kobe can be flip-flopped as well, but Kobe is such a disgusting human being, and West a class act, and unselfish, AND was so tormented by the Russ-Red dynasty, that I have to lean towards the logo. He led the league in assists at age 33 and more than any other scorer from pre NBA/ABA merger he would have had 4-6 more points a game if there was a 3-point line.

Pau can pass Wilt if he wins 1 more titles and Worthy if he wins a 4th and plays 4-5 more years, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!" : Pau with two titles is not even comparable to KG.  KG is a first ballot hall of famer and one of the dominant players of his era. Pau is a fine player who was going nowhere until put on competitive team.  There is really no comparison and I am sure you know that.  Pau is hardly a lock for the hall of fame.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I'm talking all-time Lakers legacy ONLY

Clearly there are more HOFers and superior Celtics if you go 1-20 all-time than Lakers (both are pretty top heavy)

But Pau was the 2nd best player on two titles teams... KG wasn't the finals MVP the 1 year he won... and I'd say currently both are around the 10-12th best player in their franchises history.

I said all-time KG is MUCH better. One of the 12-15 best off all time. Gasol would have trouble cracking top 75.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

[QUOTE]Where do you rank Wilt, Shaq, Wilkes and Pau? I say all-time Lakers are: Magic Kareem West Kobe Baylor Shaq Worthy Wilt Wilkes Pau Goodrich Scott Mikan doesn't make the list as the exit from Minneapolis was so poorly done and shameful, those teams/titles so disrespected for decades (until it became clear just during the Shaq/Kobe years that they had a shot to catch Boston) that I don't even think they should be part of LA's 16. And names like 'Lakers' and 'Jazz' should NEVER leave places like Minny and New Orleans. Like 'Sonics' should never leave Seattle. Kareem and Magic can be flip-flopped in my opinion, arguments either way, but since Kareem was such a sally in LA's titles. injured in 1980 and basically a 7 rebound a game guy the entire decade of the 80's getting by b/c he was 7'2" I go with the player who I think was more gifted and played Center as a 21 year old rookie. West and Kobe can be flip-flopped as well, but Kobe is such a disgusting human being, and West a class act, and unselfish, AND was so tormented by the Russ-Red dynasty, that I have to lean towards the logo. He led the league in assists at age 33 and more than any other scorer from pre NBA/ABA merger he would have had 4-6 more points a game if there was a 3-point line. Pau can pass Wilt if he wins 1 more titles and Worthy if he wins a 4th and plays 4-5 more years, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.
    Can't understand while Darall Imhoff didn't make your list.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Ah, Cornbread ... After the Celtics got creamed by the Lakers in Game 3 of the '84 Finals, Maxwell said the team was being "too dorsal" on the floor. The consensus was that me meant "docile," but as Kevin McHale said, "We have been playing like fish."

(The Celtics won Game 4, which included McHale's famous takedown of Rambis, and took the Series).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

well let's see.......  if KG in his prime had to defend healthy mchale, in his prime then who would win that matchup.  that matchup would include foul calls.....

i'll take mchale, who would dismantle KG in the low post, just like he did with everyone else.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

The BEST Celtic ever was'nt even a player. Red was the best and will always be the BEST Celtic ever!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!" : Garnett and Ray Allen both have gold medal's since ur an LA fan, here is how I'd compare KG to purple players: If KG doesn't win a title this year and retired (the WORST case) he would compare closest to Wilt (5 years, 1 title, 1 finals loss), only not quite as great all-time. If KG wins a title and retires, or doesn't win a title but reaches the final 1-2 more times, plays 2 more seasons, it gets tricky. His career here would probably compare closest to Pau (5-7 seasons, 2 titles) only a much better player all-time or maybe Jamaal Wilkes, who played 8 seasons and won 3 titles as a 17-21 ppg guy (likely more titles than KG can possibly get) yet was nothing more than a 3rd banana (which KG was in '10/'11 and injured in '09) on any title team and a bench player in '85 (which KG could be on a title team in 2-3 years we never know). If KG wins a title this year and plays 2-3 more years he would start to compare to Shaq (8 years, 3 titles) and if he won a 3rd titles them KG would have to have the same legacy in Boston (top 6?) that Shaq does in LA.

Different era in the Olympics when KG and Allen played. Saw them play in Sydney which was pretty cool.

My all time top 10 Lakers.

1) Magic Johnson
    2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar   
    3) James Worthy
    4) Jerry West
    5) Shaquille O'Neal
    6) Michael Cooper
    7) Elgin Baylor
    8) Wilt Chamberlain
    9) Kobe Bryant
    10) George Mikan

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skins and Heart. Show Skins and Heart's posts

[QUOTE]Where do you rank Wilt, Shaq, Wilkes and Pau? I say all-time Lakers are: Magic Kareem West Kobe Baylor Shaq Worthy Wilt Wilkes Pau Goodrich Scott Mikan doesn't make the list as the exit from Minneapolis was so poorly done and shameful, those teams/titles so disrespected for decades (until it became clear just during the Shaq/Kobe years that they had a shot to catch Boston) that I don't even think they should be part of LA's 16. And names like 'Lakers' and 'Jazz' should NEVER leave places like Minny and New Orleans. Like 'Sonics' should never leave Seattle. Kareem and Magic can be flip-flopped in my opinion, arguments either way, but since Kareem was such a sally in LA's titles. injured in 1980 and basically a 7 rebound a game guy the entire decade of the 80's getting by b/c he was 7'2" I go with the player who I think was more gifted and played Center as a 21 year old rookie. West and Kobe can be flip-flopped as well, but Kobe is such a disgusting human being, and West a class act, and unselfish, AND was so tormented by the Russ-Red dynasty, that I have to lean towards the logo. He led the league in assists at age 33 and more than any other scorer from pre NBA/ABA merger he would have had 4-6 more points a game if there was a 3-point line. Pau can pass Wilt if he wins 1 more titles and Worthy if he wins a 4th and plays 4-5 more years, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

Mikan makes my list at 10. It's hard to know where to decide where to place him. Statistically he's one of the three most dominant players in NBA history when it comes to leading his teams to championships. Russel, Jordan and Mikan really do stand alone there. However this dominance was before the shot clock and we could argue that it was a different sport then.

Baylor is important in our history as he was the link between the Minneapolis and Los Angeles era.

Agree with you that the way the Minneapolis era is treated is absolutely appalling and continues to be that way. One banner for five championships. And particular jerseys being 'honoured' instead of retired. Bynum should NOT be wearing number 17.

When we get our 18th banner the Minneapolis era may again be forgotten.

Wilkes was a fine player but I prefer Cooper. He took on the oppositions best offensive players and shut them down. Was there for all the 80's championships and I feel he's so underrated because he focused on defence.

Pau doesn't make my top 10. Perhaps if we win another title with him. I think that Odem contributed almost as much as Pau coming off the bench for our last two championships. Pau, Bynum and Odem were great together.

Sections
Shortcuts