CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!"

Sorry, KG doesn't rank with Wilt, who was probably the most dominating player in the history of the game.  Wilt holds records that will probably never be broken.  I love KG but really...lets not undersell Chamberlain here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!":
    [QUOTE]Sorry, KG doesn't rank with Wilt, who was probably the most dominating player in the history of the game.  Wilt holds records that will probably never be broken.  I love KG but really...lets not undersell Chamberlain here.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]

The comparison was clearly made ONLY between Wilt and KG's 5 years with LA and Boston and not over a career.

Wilt averaged a 19-19 as a Laker, down from a 35-23 as a Warrior/Sixer and wasn't winnign anymore MVP's.... but he remained an all-star and went to 4 finals, winning one

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry, KG doesn't rank with Wilt, who was probably the most dominating player in the history of the game.  Wilt holds records that will probably never be broken.  I love KG but really...lets not undersell Chamberlain here.
    Posted by cole-ely[/QUOTE]
    Historically you are right. Wilt was a trailblazer and an athletic wonder.

KG is an entirely different player and maybe just slightly less compelling. No guy his size ever covered the whole floor like KG not even Russell.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!"

In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!":
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!" : Different era in the Olympics when KG and Allen played. Saw them play in Sydney which was pretty cool. My all time top 10 Lakers. 1) Magic Johnson 2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar    3) James Worthy 4) Jerry West 5) Shaquille O'Neal 6) Michael Cooper 7) Elgin Baylor 8) Wilt Chamberlain 9) Kobe Bryant 10) George Mikan 11) Chuck Nevitt
    Posted by Skins and Heart[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC ever!" : Mikan makes my list at 10. It's hard to know where to decide where to place him. Statistically he's one of the three most dominant players in NBA history when it comes to leading his teams to championships. Russel, Jordan and Mikan really do stand alone there. However this dominance was before the shot clock and we could argue that it was a different sport then. Baylor is important in our history as he was the link between the Minneapolis and Los Angeles era. Agree with you that the way the Minneapolis era is treated is absolutely appalling and continues to be that way. One banner for five championships. And particular jerseys being 'honoured' instead of retired. Bynum should NOT be wearing number 17. When we get our 18th banner the Minneapolis era may again be forgotten. Wilkes was a fine player but I prefer Cooper. He took on the oppositions best offensive players and shut them down. Was there for all the 80's championships and I feel he's so underrated because he focused on defence. Pau doesn't make my top 10. Perhaps if we win another title with him. I think that Odem contributed almost as much as Pau coming off the bench for our last two championships. Pau, Bynum and Odem were great together.
    Posted by Skins and Heart[/QUOTE]

If you include Minny (I obviously don't) than Mikan over Pau is a no-brainer, the name 'Lakers' should have been left in that State, with the current T'Wolves franchise ready to take it back in 1989 and hang 5 banners and a build a statue for Mikan... ah well.

The LA fans that worship Kobe's jock (clearly you are not one of them) wouldn't want to hear this... but really '98-'03 Kobe was to Shaq what '78-'83 Wilkes was to Kareem. That is why in NO WAY should anyone ever say their is a small gap between Kobe and MJ.

Cooper was like a Frank Ramsey Bruce Bowen type, both who have their #'s retired by Celts/Spurs, but I don't think Ramsey even makes a top 15 in Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!" : Historically you are right. Wilt was a trailblazer and an athletic wonder. KG is an entirely different player and maybe just slightly less compelling. No guy his size ever covered the whole floor like KG not even Russell.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

woweeee.  taking a bit of license, no?  russell covered floor and not only floor but covered up entire team's mindsets with his intimidation.  shot blocking, closing lanes of passing and shooting with incredible speed. 

KG is a good defensive player and all, one of the finest of his era.  but no comparison to Russell.  and russell did all of that at 6-9 and not 7-1 like KG is.

KG's greatest output of blocks ever?  2.2 a game in 2003-04.

If they kept those stats when Russell played?  Russell's career average would have been b/t 4 and 6 a game easily.  And those were by no means in the paint bunny or dunk attempt blocks- Russ covered quite a bit of floor....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

"climb on my back, boys." Max then went out to score 24 pts during the 1984 NBA Finals.

This team will go as far as KG has left in that tank of his.

It appears that Celtics vs Spurs Finals...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]"climb on my back, boys." Max then went out to score 24 pts during the 1984 NBA Finals. This team will go as far as KG has left in that tank of his. It appears that Celtics vs Spurs Finals...
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

I am scared of the Pacers.... and OKC can beat the Spurs

Also Heat and Sixers do have 1 win in series that are not over yet

Both LA teams are toast tho 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

[QUOTE]well let's see.......  if KG in his prime had to defend healthy mchale, in his prime then who would win that matchup.  that matchup would include foul calls..... i'll take mchale, who would dismantle KG in the low post, just like he did with everyone else.
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Except rick smitts and john salley.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!" : I am scared of the Pacers.... and OKC can beat the Spurs Also Heat and Sixers do have 1 win in series that are not over yet Both LA teams are toast tho 
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Funny that OKC may meet SA in finals, which may be like Celtics meeting Pacers. Older veteran team vs young and gun teams. I was at the home game against the Pacers and Celtics won, without Rondo. PP was point had a great game, but 6 turn overs. Celtics need to contain Granger. Need to get Hibbert in early foul trouble to get him out of middle.

I feel experience over youth usually wins, so I like Celtics vs SA in finals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Maxwell has forgot history.

1-Russell
    2-Bird
    3-Havlicek
    4-Sam Jones
    5-Pierce
    6-KC Jones
    7-Cousy
    8-Heinsohn
    9-McHale/Parish
    10-Garnett

That's my ranking

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Maxwell has forgot history. 1-Russell 2-Bird 3-Havlicek 4-Sam Jones 5-Pierce 6-KC Jones 7-Cousy 8-Heinsohn 9-McHale/Parish 10-Garnett That's my ranking
    Posted by BiasLewis[/QUOTE]

I know it's your list and you can put anyone on it you want to, but KC in front of Cousy and no Dave Cowens!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!" : woweeee.  taking a bit of license, no?  russell covered floor and not only floor but covered up entire team's mindsets with his intimidation.  shot blocking, closing lanes of passing and shooting with incredible speed.  KG is a good defensive player and all, one of the finest of his era.  but no comparison to Russell.  and russell did all of that at 6-9 and not 7-1 like KG is. KG's greatest output of blocks ever?  2.2 a game in 2003-04. If they kept those stats when Russell played?  Russell's career average would have been b/t 4 and 6 a game easily.  And those were by no means in the paint bunny or dunk attempt blocks- Russ covered quite a bit of floor....
    Russell is the greatest player of all time very possibly in my opinion.  Still KG covers the whole floor.  Russell generally stayed near the basket, not that he did not come out once and awhile but KG does it as a rule.  The stats mean nothing who would suggest KG is as good a shot blocker as Big Bill,  watch KG and Russell play the floor they do it entirely differently.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: CEDRIC MAXWELL: "KG is the best CELTIC player ever!" : woweeee.  taking a bit of license, no?  russell covered floor and not only floor but covered up entire team's mindsets with his intimidation.  shot blocking, closing lanes of passing and shooting with incredible speed.  KG is a good defensive player and all, one of the finest of his era.  but no comparison to Russell.  and russell did all of that at 6-9 and not 7-1 like KG is. KG's greatest output of blocks ever?  2.2 a game in 2003-04. If they kept those stats when Russell played?  Russell's career average would have been b/t 4 and 6 a game easily.  And those were by no means in the paint bunny or dunk attempt blocks- Russ covered quite a bit of floor....

If they don't believe it, they can ask Jerry West. Russ caught him from about half court and blocked his lay up!!

Sections
Shortcuts