Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.

Interesting  post here: http://www.celticsblog.com/2012/2/13/2794323/rondo-is-a-square-peg-thriving-in-a-round-hole-usually#storyjump

Have had this thought more than a few times myself, hence this discussion.
    Most of the arguments concerning Rondo revolve around whether to trade him or keep him. 

Constructing trades involving him are relatively easy and straignt forward.  They address getting our long sought after bigman and some sort of PG to compensate for Rondo's absence.

The alternative is not so easy, but for some  of us, more interesting.
    If DA gambles on Rondo's potential and decides to rebuild the team around Rondo's game, what would he try and do and who would he go after?

Ideally, we would have a very very fast team.  Athletic wing men who could run and grab boards.  Passing that could rival anything the 80's had to often Showtime, but this time  in Boston?

Maybe, just maybe, this is what Rondo needs.  The type of team that best exploits his talents.  I can remember thinking PP was a bit of a headcase for a number of years,  but that urge to act out got sublimated once he was surrounded by the right sort of talent that pushed his desire to win to the front.

Anyway, Jeff said it much better than I have.  Click on the link, read the article, and pro or con, post your opinion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.

In Response to Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.:
    [QUOTE]deally, we would have a very very fast team.  Athletic wing men who could run and grab boards.  Passing that could rival anything the 80's had to often Showtime, but this time  in Boston?
    [/QUOTE]
    Typo: often should be offer

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That article sums up exactly what I said about Rondo when discussing building for next year.

I wanted to surround him with O.J. Mayo, Jeff Green, Jason Thompson, Robin Lopez, Avery, JuJuan Johnson and at least 1 good young 1st rd pick.

With of course the big 3 as reserves.

Others here said we need to blow everything up, trade Rondo and be one of the 5 worst teams in the game asap

I said give Rondo some horses and have some fun as one of the 4 best teams in the east until Pierce retires in 2014, then (if you are not a contender) trade Rondoand a couple of your other guys who are creeping up on 30, when RR has 1 year left on his deal and is 28.... go lotto for 2-3 seasons at that point

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Thinking the posters who want to trade Rondo for a bigman to up our chances this year have completely forgotten the year we traded for 6th man of the year Rodney Rogers to up our chances in the playoffs (and gave away Joe Johnson).
    That trade worked out very well, as I recall.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Running with Rondo at the helm would be great to watch but likely wouldn't result in any titles.
    Not that winning it all is the only thing that counts, but just sayin.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd rather win 50-55 games and battle the Heat and Bulls in the 2nd round in really fun series over the next 2 years with athlete's fit to rondo's game and the big 3 off the bench retiring gracefully at the same time ('14) than trade everyone and go lotto

We are not getting one of the first 5 picks in this years draft and the '13 one is going to be pretty weak

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'd rather win 50-55 games and battle the Heat and Bulls in the 2nd round in really fun series over the next 2 years with athlete's fit to rondo's game and the big 3 off the bench retiring gracefully at the same time ('14) than trade everyone and go lotto

We are not getting one of the first 5 picks in this years draft and the '13 one is going to be pretty weak... trade rondo summer of 2014 before his final deal after Pierce retires and rebuild then

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs.:
    [QUOTE]I'd rather win 50-55 games and battle the Heat and Bulls in the 2nd round in really fun series over the next 2 years with athlete's fit to rondo's game and the big 3 off the bench retiring gracefully at the same time ('14) than trade everyone and go lotto We are not getting one of the first 5 picks in this years draft and the '13 one is going to be pretty weak
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Celtics can get any top 10 picks with their own first round draft pick if they dont make the playoff as well to be part of the lottery pick.  But the Celtics can not have the Clippers's 10 top protected draft pick.  Supposely the clippers do not make into the playoff this year, and got the #10 lottery pick, the Celtics will lose that draft pick for the year of 2012.  That first round pick will be transfer over to next year.  Still the top ten protected first round picks from the Clipper is good up to the year of 2015. 

But the Clippers is more likely going to make into the playoff.  Therefore the Celtics will more likely to have two first round picks.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTEvans. Show BTEvans's posts

No way that they should trade Rondo - he's a rare player who can spearhead a running team and make other players better. See how well they do in the playoffs this year, then figure out how to rebuild when Garnett / Allen are free agents. If they want to come back at reduced pay, that's fine, but limit their minutes, so they can be more productive. The additions they've made this year are good: Pietrus and Bass are solid veterans; Moore and Johnson are good rookies with strong upsides. Avery Bradley is a pest defensively who could develop into a DJ-type defensive stopper. Add a healthy Jeff Green to that mix, and sprinkle with a key free agent or two and you've increased team speed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]No way that they should trade Rondo - he's a rare player who can spearhead a running team and make other players better. See how well they do in the playoffs this year, then figure out how to rebuild when Garnett / Allen are free agents. If they want to come back at reduced pay, that's fine, but limit their minutes, so they can be more productive. The additions they've made this year are good: Pietrus and Bass are solid veterans; Moore and Johnson are good rookies with strong upsides. Avery Bradley is a pest defensively who could develop into a DJ-type defensive stopper. Add a healthy Jeff Green to that mix, and sprinkle with a key free agent or two and you've increased team speed.
    Posted by BTEvans[/QUOTE]

Very good post!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Totally agree with these  posts.The best part of it is that we have players that like to play defense..other wise we are just the Suns and Nuggets of the East. As it stands, we are on the verge of the Showtime of the east. Miami has been building under similar ideas with another mercurial star that struggles when the game slows. That part of the game can be worked on and improved. Rondo is worth keeping. We do have the ingredients to build with strategically selected additions via the draft and or free agents..I also like the idea of staying put (unless opportunity presents itself) with the current team even if it means an early exit this year. The coming draft and free agents are worth the wait. Especially if it results in a ten bagger. (DH).

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : You really that gullible or you're just desperate for allies. You didn't know that that's his first ever post? Ha Ha
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

Actually it was a great post compare to a same poster posting thousand dumb posts!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Really?  Saying that Rondo is a bad FT shooter is dumb?  Saying that Rondo is a bad shooter outside 15 feet is dumb? Saying that Rondo disappears in the 4th qtr. of games is dumb? Saying that Rondo is too inconsistent is dumb? Saying the truth is dumb?

And Fiercest is dumb!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : DH and Rondo are poor FT shooters. You really want Boston to become Bricktown? Brick City? DH can't shoot outside the paint. Rondo can't shoot outside of 15 feet. We play 3 vs. 5 basketball?

Fierce, Shaq was a bad free throw shooter as well and won 4 titles. Wilt, was god awful and won a few. It's maddening but their are other phases of the game. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celitcs & Rondo: Next 3-5 yrs. : Really?  Saying that Rondo is a bad FT shooter is dumb?  Saying that Rondo is a bad shooter outside 15 feet is dumb? Saying that Rondo disappears in the 4th qtr. of games is dumb? Saying that Rondo is too inconsistent is dumb? Saying the truth is dumb?

I wouldn't say dumb. In fact some of those statements are very  fair, but I think some are incorrect. For instance. Rondo is shooting 50% from the field this year and is actually hitting his 17 foot jumper. I think his inconsistency is the result of playing with an old team compromised of savy veterans that can't run with him, forcing him to reduce his greatest strength. In the bulls game he shot more than Allen and Piece. You don't think there is going to be sqawking if that happens every game? Rondo is almost forced into a slow half court game by the age of the starters. Let me tell you JO is not beating anybody down the court on a break. 

Rondo however is a poor free throw shooter and in the fourth quarter he sometimes does seem to tighten up. But he also tends to raise his game in big games.  Think game four versus the cavs.  Wanting to trade Rondo  is a fair point of view but I think it is a dangerous one. Right now this is a Point Guard's league. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

[QUOTE]No way that they should trade Rondo - he's a rare player who can spearhead a running team and make other players better. See how well they do in the playoffs this year, then figure out how to rebuild when Garnett / Allen are free agents. If they want to come back at reduced pay, that's fine, but limit their minutes, so they can be more productive. The additions they've made this year are good: Pietrus and Bass are solid veterans; Moore and Johnson are good rookies with strong upsides. Avery Bradley is a pest defensively who could develop into a DJ-type defensive stopper. Add a healthy Jeff Green to that mix, and sprinkle with a key free agent or two and you've increased team speed.
    Posted by BTEvans[/QUOTE] Great post,but I hope its not all downhill for you afterwards.

25. This post has been removed.