Celtics acquire Colton Iverson, 7-1 Center in Second Round!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

Celtics acquire Colton Iverson, 7-1 Center in Second Round!

Via trade from Indiana. Iverson is considered one of the best rebounders in the draft.

Colton Iverson’s meteoric rise to become an NBA player concluded on Thursday when he was drafted 53rd overall by the Boston Celtics.

The Celtics made noise earlier in the draft when they agreed to trade Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry to the Brooklyn Nets.

Boston finished seventh in the Eastern Conference last season and now appear to be in a rebuilding mode after the blockbuster trade.

Iverson, a 7-foot center, catapulted from an unheralded transfer a year ago into the second round of the NBA Draft after a senior season at CSU that saw him named first-team All-Mountain West.

After playing his first three years at the University of Minnesota, Iverson transferred to Colorado State University. He sat out a year due to NCAA transfer regulations, but then exploded last season.

He averaged nearly a double-double at 14.2 points per game and 9.8 rebounds per game, helping lead the Rams to an NCAA Tournament win over Missouri.

Iverson becomes the 20th former CSU player to be drafted and the first since Jason Smith went in the first round of the 2007 draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

Re: Celtics acquire Colton Iverson, 7-1 Center in Second Round!

In response to MikeRizzuto's comment:

Via trade from Indiana. Iverson is considered one of the best rebounders in the draft.

Colton Iverson’s meteoric rise to become an NBA player concluded on Thursday when he was drafted 53rd overall by the Boston Celtics.

The Celtics made noise earlier in the draft when they agreed to trade Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Jason Terry to the Brooklyn Nets.

Boston finished seventh in the Eastern Conference last season and now appear to be in a rebuilding mode after the blockbuster trade.

Iverson, a 7-foot center, catapulted from an unheralded transfer a year ago into the second round of the NBA Draft after a senior season at CSU that saw him named first-team All-Mountain West.

After playing his first three years at the University of Minnesota, Iverson transferred to Colorado State University. He sat out a year due to NCAA transfer regulations, but then exploded last season.

He averaged nearly a double-double at 14.2 points per game and 9.8 rebounds per game, helping lead the Rams to an NCAA Tournament win over Missouri.

Iverson becomes the 20th former CSU player to be drafted and the first since Jason Smith went in the first round of the 2007 draft.

Twitter feed on huffington post says we boought it for cash. Wish we did that more often. The rockets have been doing that for years - see chase buddinger for example.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/nba-draft-live-updates-2013_n_3512808.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to jrmccook's comment:

[QUOTE]

Twitter feed on huffington post says we boought it for cash. Wish we did that more often. The rockets have been doing that for years - see chase buddinger for example.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/nba-draft-live-updates-2013_n_3512808.html?utm_hp_ref=sports

[/QUOTE]

You are correct, sir! Initial reports were incorrect!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

REad on this guy  http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/06/nba-pre-draft-tour-colton-iverson-workout/

Not bad..Obviously Ainge followed this guy..could this be one of those 2nd round pick where Ainge finds a gem?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Just watched his highlight video, he looks really slow and methodical.  I think Ainge is building a team comprised of only unathletic, or undersized tweeners.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

Just watched his highlight video, he looks really slow and methodical.  I think Ainge is building a team comprised of only unathletic, or undersized tweeners.

He's 7-0, 255! Did you expect to see him leading a fast break? The guy is a beast on the backboards, which is one of the things we really need. Could contribute off the bench in his first year for ten or 15 minutes a game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]

He's 7-0, 255! Did you expect to see him leading a fast break? The guy is a beast on the backboards, which is one of the things we really need. Could contribute off the bench in his first year for ten or 15 minutes a game.

[/QUOTE]

+1..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I think Hibbert is slow and methodical..same with that brookly guy, forgot his name..usually centers are like that anyways..I like the pick considering we lacked centers before..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeRizzuto. Show MikeRizzuto's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think Hibbert is slow and methodical..same with that brookly guy, forgot his name..usually centers are like that anyways..I like the pick considering we lacked centers before..

Kid looked great on film, plus he showed excellent range shooting the ball. It's time to get some serious muscle on the court instead of playing guys that don't hit the boards and look like Twiggy. Oh yes, I was wrong. He weighs 265!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Kid looked great on film, plus he showed excellent range shooting the ball. It's time to get some serious muscle on the court instead of playing guys that don't hit the boards and look like Twiggy. Oh yes, I was wrong. He weighs 265!

[/QUOTE]

I have read good/great things about the guy..

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

SI and here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/06/27/2013-nba-draft-top-5-sleeper-picks/

one of the sleepers of the draft

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

When Iverson was drafted my initial thought was it figures Bird would get another big rebounder and now I just saw the cash buyout by the C's on the Boston Herald ... Thatta Boy Danny!

Wow! That's two 7 footers in one draft .... We are finally getting big.

.............................................................................................................................................

Exactly. I am so tired of us getting pushed around on the boards.

With Olynyk, Iverson, Evans, Humphries, and Wallace, we have some big strong guys.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from behemothZ3R0. Show behemothZ3R0's posts

I'm actually assuming DA bought this as another trade chip. Always good to have filler!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

C'mon guys lets be real, he has about a 20% chance to ever get out of the D-League.

Does anyone really think he will be any better than Shavlik Randolph??  And do you think that Randolph is any better than a decent 3rd string center?

So if we already have a decent 3rd string center that is fairly young and is already better than this stiff, why waste the pick???

Just like drafting a t-rex armed big man that can't rebound when we are the worst rebounding team in the NBA.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

C'mon guys lets be real, he has about a 20% chance to ever get out of the D-League.

Does anyone really think he will be any better than Shavlik Randolph??  And do you think that Randolph is any better than a decent 3rd string center?

So if we already have a decent 3rd string center that is fairly young and is already better than this stiff, why waste the pick???

Just like drafting a t-rex armed big man that can't rebound when we are the worst rebounding team in the NBA.

I like your point.  Randolph is a mobile and active big who needs playing time to impact games.  He's no all-star, but a serviceable player who could be good #2 behind a PF with C duty in spots.  Size is great and it's what could have changed a season or two around for Boston recently, so coming now is too late as that window is slammed shut.  Going forward, we need a genuine shooting guard (who can shoot, unlike the current crop of ham-handed bricklayers) and a backup point.  It seems like Danny drafted/traded/bought practice players in some regard.  The 1st round picks might turn out if Boston gets lucky, which to me means other teams struggle.  Lest we forget the ages and injuries sustained by PP and KG in the last few years and the effects they might have if they reoccur.  Who know what will happen.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just took a look at some tape on Iverson.  Reminds me a little of Jack Sikma.  Iverson's a little bigger, potentially more of physical presence inside.  I don't dislike the pick at all - a 2nd rounder, big guy with some upside.