Celtics and Clippers engage in trade talk (again)?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

Celtics and Clippers engage in trade talk (again)?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--clippers--celtics-discussing-kevin-garnett-trade--055506411.html

There has to be some truth to this rumor. If so, I am fine with this deal (considering KG will only go to LA and the clippers would never give up CP3 or Blake). I have been saying since rondo went down that we need to get younger...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Celtics and Clippers engage in trade talk (again)?

In response to James37's comment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--sources--clippers--celtics-discussing-kevin-garnett-trade--055506411.html

There has to be some truth to this rumor. If so, I am fine with this deal (considering KG will only go to LA and the clippers would never give up CP3 or Blake). I have been saying since rondo went down that we need to get younger...

KGs statement the other day, when asked about future all star games, "you all don't know what I know" got me thinking! Does he mean pending trade and or retirement! 

We shall see! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

KGs statement the other day, when asked about future all star games, "you all don't know what I know" got me thinking! Does he mean pending trade and or retirement! 

We shall see! 

i just dont think two aging vets can hold up the entire season and playoffs without help..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

We shall see! 

i just dont think two aging vets can hold up the entire season and playoffs without help..

I agree! If DA cannot upgrade the team significantly to make a playoff run, I think he will blow-it-up! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You also said the Raptors were going to surpass the C's no comments on that?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We shall see! 

Deandre Jordan stinks for starters.  KG in a wheelchair is better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

We shall see! 

Of course we would have the "new" worst free throw shooter on the team.  In two years Jordan will look pretty good when KG is hanging out in Malibu.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

But I really would like PP to go with KG( but whom else can we get from them) so they can continue to play together and these 2 Allstars can retire together in their local communities. Plus, they'd really dominate the Hated Lakers & living in SF I'd get to see them play the Warriors. Also, we travel to San Diego to see family so I'd see them playing the Lakers too.  Like Youkilis with NY and Allen with the Heat, their best days will be thought of playing in Boston & I know their hearts will always be in Boston.

I am not in love with Jordan as a Center as not a Cousins or Gortat even so I too like Rondo for Dwight Howard. He isn't playing well as in Orlando and has been injured but I feel it is because he's not happy in LA LA land and not too many enjoy playing with egomaniac Kobe. If we can be assured of a long term commitment from DH, I'd do it. Nice to get JJ Redick too somehow !!! We get Sully back, a PF but strong rebounder, keep Wicox too a good rebounder and have time to see if Melo develops.

Sources: Celtics contemplate Garnett trade Though Kevin Garnett has a no-trade clause in his contract, the Celtics are shopping their big man, who could end up with the Clippers. (Elise Amendola/Associated Press) Sam Amico ARCHIVE | EMAIL
    Sam Amico covers the Cavaliers and an array of other topics for FOXSportsOhio.com. His national NBA columns run twice each week on FOXSports.com. Prior to joining FOX, Amico wrote for NBA.com. He is a native of Akron and began his journalism career at daily newspapers ranging from West Virginia to Wyoming.
    Recommend email print Facebook rss February 16, 2013     nba photos of the week  CHASE IS ON Playoff races are making everyone get serious. Photos of the week.     bracket BUST A MOVE Cheerleaders and dancersget their groove on at NBA arenas.

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers are working on a trade that would send 16-time All-Star big man Kevin Garnett from the Celtics to the Clippers, multiple sources told FOX Sports Ohio late Friday.

In exchange, the Celtics would receive Clippers center DeAndre Jordan and reserve guard Eric Bledsoe. A second-round pick may also be involved, sources said.

The potential deal was first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

Garnett, 36, has a no-trade clause in his contract, but both sides presume he’ll waive it if sent to a contending team such as the Clippers. The Yahoo story also cited Garnett’s home in Malibu and friendship with Clippers guard Chauncey Billups as reasons Garnett might accept a trade.

In exchange, the Celtics would receive a young athletic center in Jordan, 24, and young capable point guard in Bledsoe, 23.

Bledsoe currently backs up All-Star Chris Paul with the Clippers, but many within NBA circles believe Bledsoe is talented enough to run his own team. The season-ending ACL injury to Rajon Rondo last month has the Celtics on the lookout for a starting-caliber point guard.

Rondo’s injury also opened the door for Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge to consider moving some of his other major parts, including Garnett and forward Paul Pierce.

Sources speculated if Garnett were to agree to a trade, the Celtics would then aggressively attempt to move Pierce before Thursday’s trading deadline.

Garnett is in his 18th season and averaging 15.1 points on 50-percent shooting and 7.7 rebounds. He said earlier this week Sunday’s All-Star Game in Houston will be his last. Garnett will start for the Eastern Conference.

Jordan is in his fifth year and averaging a career-high 9.0 points to go along with 7.3 rebounds.

Bledsoe is averaging 9.6 points and 3.3 assists off the Clippers’ bench. He has played in all 56 games, including 12 starts. This is his third NBA season.

The Celtics are 8-1 since Rondo's injury. That includes wins over Miami, the L.A. Lakers and the Clippers

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I am first a Boston teams fan as I spent my first 21 years in Maine before USMC called me away---roots run deep---but also a local team fan living in SF the past 45 years.

SF teams almost have the same intense rivalry with LA teams that Boston does with NY but definitely not quite. Love to go to Warrior-Laker, Giant-Dodgers games and hear & see signs  "Beat LA, Beat LA" similar to in Boston. I don't even like the city of LA, a big sprawling smog infested metropolis.

But, I have to admit I do like the LA Clippers and not because they are better than the hated long time rival Lakers but I guess I still associate them with being from San Diego, a nice quaint Seaport walking around town like Boston. Maybe it's because they've mostly always been an underdog and still haven't won a title & it'll be tough this year too with OKC, Denver & San Antonio & then the Heat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3952186. Show user_3952186's posts

Why would the Clippers trade two of their younger, more promising players for half a year of Garnett? Even throwing PP into the mix might not make them incrementally better for a championship run. I vote for DA to hold pat and see if this Celtics team has the chemistry to make a final run for KG and PP. Both are classic Celtics whose numbers should hang from the rafters when they are done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to user_3952186's comment:

Why would the Clippers trade two of their younger, more promising players for half a year of Garnett? Even throwing PP into the mix might not make them incrementally better for a championship run. I vote for DA to hold pat and see if this Celtics team has the chemistry to make a final run for KG and PP. Both are classic Celtics whose numbers should hang from the rafters when they are done.

Is it a requirement for a player to retire with a team for their numbers to be hung from the rafters...DUNNO ???

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Funny I hate the trade for the opposite reason. You call the Clippers players promising I think it is clear to the Clippers these players are expendable because there upside is not so high. Jordan especially shows no ability to really play a complete game.  I would say he will never be full time player on a good team. The Clippers know that and hope KG will play another year or two.  Lastly I believe the Celtics owners will never trade for  these less than marquee players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Funny I hate the trade for the opposite reason. You call the Clippers players promising I think it is clear to the Clippers these players are expendable because there upside is not so high. Jordan especially shows no ability to really play a complete game.  I would say he will never be full time player on a good team. The Clippers know that and hope KG will play another year or two.  Lastly I believe the Celtics owners will never trade for  these less than marquee players.

+1

They should be looking for high draft picks instead of just nice pieces that probably never going to be or barely once or twice an all-star.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We shall see! 

Concord,

Unless the C's can make a trade for the 2 players Doc said today that they need (ballhandling tough combo guard and rebounding big) then they have to blow it up.

Jordan may not be a star, but if KG will only waive his no trade clause for 1 team, then the C's are getting a VERY good package for him in Jordan and Bledsoe. Jordan is 6'11", 24 years old and going to play very good D. At the least he is a more athletic Perk.

KP was an 8.5p/7.3r/1.7b guy the years between when KG arrived and when he blew out his knee (ages 23-25). Jordan has put up those same #'s the past 3 season w/o KG by his side and is younger now than when Perk went down in the finals. Yes he can't hit FT's and yes he can't be played more than 24-28 mins b/c of it. But at 24 he can keep improving.

If paired with a great offense/mediocre defense PF-C (like Al Jefferson) who goes for 20-24 at C and 10-16 at PF (with Sully and some Green at PF) then you have masked his weaknesses and created a deep, scary, young frontcourt.

Bledsoe is 23 and looking like he will be very very good. A 13/5 guy in 28 mins a game in Feb, he would be terifying with Bradley in the backcourt or an ultra valuable trade chip for tha young scoring big guy we'd still need.   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

We shall see! 

Concord,

Unless the C's can make a trade for the 2 players Doc said today that they need (ballhandling tough combo guard and rebounding big) then they have to blow it up.

Jordan may not be a star, but if KG will only waive his no trade clause for 1 team, then the C's are getting a VERY good package for him in Jordan and Bledsoe. Jordan is 6'11", 24 years old and going to play very good D. At the least he is a more athletic Perk.

KP was an 8.5p/7.3r/1.7b guy the years between when KG arrived and when he blew out his knee (ages 23-25). Jordan has put up those same #'s the past 3 season w/o KG by his side and is younger now than when Perk went down in the finals. Yes he can't hit FT's and yes he can't be played more than 24-28 mins b/c of it. But at 24 he can keep improving.

If paired with a great offense/mediocre defense PF-C (like Al Jefferson) who goes for 20-24 at C and 10-16 at PF (with Sully and some Green at PF) then you have masked his weaknesses and created a deep, scary, young frontcourt.

Bledsoe is 23 and looking like he will be very very good. A 13/5 guy in 28 mins a game in Feb, he would be terifying with Bradley in the backcourt or an ultra valuable trade chip for tha young scoring big guy we'd still need.   

I always respect what you say. I just don't think it will happen. You are assuming than that Rondo will be traded at a low point in value with Bledsoe coming here.  It sounds like a mess.

KG embodies the Celtics mystique right now.  Unless he wants to go, keeping him at least until the end of the year makes sense.  Imagine a team with Jordan, Bledsoe, possibly Josh Smith, and  you have team that is the Hawks.  A physically talented group of idiots who will never win anything beyond a playoff round. 

We need to get a big man like Dalembert or Gortat and bring Delonte West in if he is all there is and make a play for the playoffs.  Pierce and Garnett deserve this and the fans do to.  Garnett will still have some value to the Clippers after the season.  They will not beat the Thunder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I always respect what you say. I just don't think it will happen. You are assuming than that Rondo will be traded at a low point in value with Bledsoe coming here.  It sounds like a mess.

KG embodies the Celtics mystique right now.  Unless he wants to go, keeping him at least until the end of the year makes sense.  Imagine a team with Jordan, Bledsoe, possibly Josh Smith, and  you have team that is the Hawks.  A physically talented group of idiots who will never win anything beyond a playoff round. 

We need to get a big man like Dalembert or Gortat and bring Delonte West in if he is all there is and make a play for the playoffs.  Pierce and Garnett deserve this and the fans do to.  Garnett will still have some value to the Clippers after the season.  They will not beat the Thunder.

[/QUOTE]

I am not assuming Rondo gets traded. I said Bledsoe could be traded in that scenario.

I would prefer Pierce to be involved and make it a 3 team trade where we totally re-vamp the roster and if we brought in a guy like Josh Smith (while keeping Green) then Rondo would very well remain the future PG of the team.

However, since I already brought up Big Al, I would spin Rondo and Bass for Big Al, Utah's pick and Gordon Hayward if we got Bledsoe. Some deal like that yes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I am not assuming Rondo gets traded. I said Bledsoe could be traded in that scenario.

I would prefer Pierce to be involved and make it a 3 team trade where we totally re-vamp the roster and if we brought in a guy like Josh Smith (while keeping Green) then Rondo would very well remain the future PG of the team.

However, since I already brought up Big Al, I would spin Rondo and Bass for Big Al, Utah's pick and Gordon Hayward if we got Bledsoe. Some deal like that yes.

[/QUOTE]

If the moves are that big I will leave that to Danny and Doc. They know what KG means.  That kind of revamping is beyond my pay grade.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Concord,

I assume you are older than me. I get the whole 'Celtic Mystique' and how KG/PP embody it, my Dad saw all 16 titles and raised me on it. But based on what I saw/went through growing up, you HAVE TO, make that move right now.

Mt first Celtic memory is the Bird-Nique shootout. I was 4 in '86. I screamed and punched walls and went nuts every postseason from '88-'93. Then Lewis crushed me. Not getting the lotto pick in '97 crushed me. I'd have gone back and traded the big 3 in '89-'91 in a HEARTBEAT, if it meant avoiding the '94-'07 misery (one good season).

There are 8-10 year old kids out there with no memory of 2008 who have lived and died with PP and KG since the heartbreaking finals we had stolen from us in 2010. Thank God Jeff Green didn't die like Reggie Lewis, meanwhile Rondo is better than Dee Brown and Danny is much more competant than Pitino, but for the sake of kids like that, knowing what I went through. You have to trade KG/PP while you can.

Unless you can get those 2 guys Doc needs, two borderline starters, a 10-12 ppg guard and a 7-9 rebound big who could prop us along. Guys better NOW than Sully and barbosa were. The only way I can see us getting that is by trading Rondo. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

What was the guys name Danny drafted ahead of Jordan, he was so bad i can't even remember his name. Now he wants to trade KG for Jordan!  I really like Bledsoe, but Jordan is very average if that. I wouldn't do it, i would give them Pierce for the pair, but not kg!! 

With Bledsoe there is no need for Rondo, trade him for Josh Smith. Also Bledsoe and Bradley are too small to play together, trade Bradley for Redick!!  Starting five. Bledsoe, Redick, Smith, Kg and jordan. Green,Terry, Wilcox, Bass make a very good bench. Don't forget we get Sully back next year. I forgot to include Lee, what a team!! I know, you guys can't believe i'm not a GM.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Concord,

I assume you are older than me. I get the whole 'Celtic Mystique' and how KG/PP embody it, my Dad saw all 16 titles and raised me on it. But based on what I saw/went through growing up, you HAVE TO, make that move right now.

Mt first Celtic memory is the Bird-Nique shootout. I was 4 in '86. I screamed and punched walls and went nuts every postseason from '88-'93. Then Lewis crushed me. Not getting the lotto pick in '97 crushed me. I'd have gone back and traded the big 3 in '89-'91 in a HEARTBEAT, if it meant avoiding the '94-'07 misery (one good season).

There are 8-10 year old kids out there with no memory of 2008 who have lived and died with PP and KG since the heartbreaking finals we had stolen from us in 2010. Thank God Jeff Green didn't die like Reggie Lewis, meanwhile Rondo is better than Dee Brown and Danny is much more competant than Pitino, but for the sake of kids like that, knowing what I went through. You have to trade KG/PP while you can.

Unless you can get those 2 guys Doc needs, two borderline starters, a 10-12 ppg guard and a 7-9 rebound big who could prop us along. Guys better NOW than Sully and barbosa were. The only way I can see us getting that is by trading Rondo. 

You make excellent points. Trading Rondo if he has decent value makes sense.  Trading KG and Pierce can be done if it makes sense to Doc and DA. I just don't have enough knowledge or information to know the realities of our chances this year.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Concord,

You make excellent points. Trading Rondo if he has decent value makes sense.  Trading KG and Pierce can be done if it makes sense to Doc and DA. I just don't have enough knowledge or information to know the realities of our chances this year.   

You're selling yourself short. You know as much as anyone on this forum!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

What was the guys name Danny drafted ahead of Jordan, he was so bad i can't even remember his name. Now he wants to trade KG for Jordan!  I really like Bledsoe, but Jordan is very average if that. I wouldn't do it, i would give them Pierce for the pair, but not kg!! 

With Bledsoe there is no need for Rondo, trade him for Josh Smith. Also Bledsoe and Bradley are too small to play together, trade Bradley for Redick!!  Starting five. Bledsoe, Redick, Smith, Kg and jordan. Green,Terry, Wilcox, Bass make a very good bench. Don't forget we get Sully back next year. I forgot to include Lee, what a team!! I know, you guys can't believe i'm not a GM.

1. J.R. Giddens, horrible decision

2. Yes KG should have slightly higher value than Pierce right now and Green is ready to step in for him... but the Clippers have 3 SF's and apparently covet KG.

3. Smith wants to play with his buddy and old Oak Hill teammate Rondo, not be traded for him, and the Hawks have a bunch of guards. It would be something like Bass and Green but a 2 for 1 is not wise with so many downed bodies right now.

4. I would take either Bledsoe or Avery over the almost 30 year old Redick, having his best season in a contract year right when the Magic become a bottom 5 team. 22-23 year olds Avery and Bledsoe can 100% play together. Always the problem with 2 small guards is that 1 can't defend a taller SG. Is that an issue for Avery? They would be TERRIFYING together.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

2. Yes KG should have slightly higher value than Pierce right now and Green is ready to step in for him... but the Clippers have 3 SF's and apparently covet KG.

3. Smith wants to play with his buddy and old Oak Hill teammate Rondo, not be traded for him, and the Hawks have a bunch of guards. It would be something like Bass and Green but a 2 for 1 is not wise with so many downed bodies right now.

4. I would take either Bledsoe or Avery over the almost 30 year old Redick, having his best season in a contract year right when the Magic become a bottom 5 team. 22-23 year olds Avery and Bledsoe can 100% play together. Always the problem with 2 small guards is that 1 can't defend a taller SG. Is that an issue for Avery? They would be TERRIFYING together.

To #3, you don't always get what you want, #4 I think it would be an issue, but not as much as the not enough offense issue would be with those two. Redick is 28, i guess that is close to 30. He has 4 more years of his prime years left!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Concord,

Very humble of you. I thought your double-secret probabtion DA hints at blowing it up, Doc says we are close, KG uses the no-trade, then move Rondo idea showed incredible deep thinking.

A move I suggested the other day would be of the kind that gets us what we need now and for the future but its probably too complex:

Dallas - Rondo (try to get him, Howard, Dirk on same team), Bass, Barbosa, Collins

Boston - Marion, Kaman, Darren Collison, Dallas's lotto pick (top 3 protected) should fall in the 6-11 range and maybe a young guard w/ potential like Jared Cunningham.

Boston replaces Bass and his the putrid 6/4 he puts up 90% of the time with Marion, who despite his age is a better defender still and gives you a 12/8 the majority of the time.

Kaman is the big who gets some boards and has a money 18 footer, Collison a gritty, albeir short, ballhandler who can shoot and we get the lottoe pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

To #3, you don't always get what you want, #4 I think it would be an issue, but not as much as the not enough offense issue would be with those two. Redick is 28, i guess that is close to 30. He has 4 more years of his prime years left!!

Redick is vastly overrated and both Bledoe and Avery can score fine. his being a better 3 point shooter is about all he is better at and he is 5-6 years older and looking to get paid more than he is worth past age 30.

Rondo wouldn't be pumped about Atlanta w/o Smith and the Hawks have little need for him.  Smith wouldn't want to be in Boston w/o Rondo. Yes you can't always get what you want... but when you are an unrestricted free agent you can go where you want to be, and Boston would risk losing Smith in 4 months.

Sections
Shortcuts