Celtics are better with Nate at the point

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Double-T. Show Double-T's posts

Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point

Guess what.....moot point...Doc will always go with Rondo at the end of the game if both he and Nate are healthy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

This is ridiculous how could you argue that Nate is better. Rondo is averaging 14 assists a game. The only thing Nate does better is shoot. Don't get me wrong Nate is a very good player who could start on most teams, but not on a team with arguably the best pg in the game. Nate is more of a shooting guard anyhow. Rondo is a true floor general.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Rondo is 2nd best point guard in NBA behind Deron Williams.

It kills me to see Rondo get to the rim and then pass the ball out over a 2 foot shot.

And it is unacceptable to call Rondo the best point guard in the NBA when he is such a horrible free throw shooter......46 % ? Under 50 % ?

The only player in NBA history where free throws didn't matter was Shaq in his 20's and early 30's. Rondo has to shoot at least 70% from the line to not be a liability late in games or in playoffs. No excuses.

Deron Williams is simply a better scorer than Rondo. He is also big enough to put a beating on Rondo , and in a 7 game series, Williams size and muscle give him the advantage over Rondo. His D is in the same ballpark, his leadership is in the same ballpark, he is the only point guard I would trade Rondo for straight up. I must say Russell Westbrook is also a handful for Rondo, he had a hard time keeping up with Westbrook both times this season

Nate is perfect as a 20 minute backup , Rondo is better as starter, hands down

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

God almighty, how do you make it stop

This noise about Rondo just buzzing and buzzing.  I think I have tinitus.  Makes me want to dig it out of Pud's head with a shrimp fork.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point:
    Rondo is 2nd best point guard in NBA behind Deron Williams. It kills me to see Rondo get to the rim and then pass the ball out over a 2 foot shot. And it is unacceptable to call Rondo the best point guard in the NBA when he is such a horrible free throw shooter......46 % ? Under 50 % ?   The only player in NBA history where free throws didn't matter was Shaq in his 20's and early 30's. Rondo has to shoot at least 70% from the line to not be a liability late in games or in playoffs. No excuses. Deron Williams is simply a better scorer than Rondo. His D is in the same ballpark, his leadership is in the same ballpark, he is the only point guard I would trade Rondo for straight up. I must say Russell Westbrook is also a handful for Rondo, he had a hard time keeping up with Westbrook both times this season Nate is perfect as a 20 minute backup , Rondo is better as starter, hands down  
    Posted by PHX85014

I agree with you, however Russell Westbrook is a handfull for everyone in the NBA to cover. He was a good player last season and over the summer while playing for Team U.S.A he blossomed into a great player.
        There sure are a lot of great point guards in the NBA currently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Doc needs to manage the talent and thier minutes better

Nate was off last nite but still is electric

Nate needs more time as do the rest
    GBBD is learning his role well he missed soem shots last nite but still hada good game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

Also, big assist #'s doesnt necessarily mean your PG is getting everyone involved  and doing a great job...it means first and foremost, your teammates are making shots.  If KGs not hitting his 20 footer, if PP & Ray are missing 3's, Rondos assists are down. 
    Posted by Karllost

True, but in Rondo's case it means everyone is being involved.  Rondo keeps track of who has how many shots, who is hot, and he rewards people for putting themselves in a situation where they can take a high-percentage shot.

People talked about Rondo not taking a layup for a Ray 3 pointer.  First of all, the layup wasnt as open as people make it seem.  It would have been a contested layup, though chances were that Rondo would make it.  Ray in his sweet-spot with an open 3 pointer is a VERY high percentage look.  Ray was also heating up from the 3 point line.  IMO, that was a very good decision by Rondo.

I don't understand why we all keep talking about Rondo not being an able PG for our team.  To me it is down right stupid.  We have won a championship with Rondo.  And probably would have won another one if KG wasn't playing on one leg and Perk hadn't gone down in game 6 of the finals.

Some posters seem to think that focusing on assists is a bad thing.  One even equated it to being the same as Kobe scoring 30+ but shooting 15 for 45 to get there.  To me this is a stupid analogy.  There is no comparison.  The first is an example of selfless play, the second is an example of selfish play.  15 for 45 is bad, but having high assists means your team is shooting efficiently.

Nate Robinson is not a true point guard.  He is a shooting guard.  He will never be able to pass like Rondo, just like Rondo will never be able to score like Nate.  Neither player can drastically change their game at this point in their careers.  I will pick Rondo over Nate to run our offense every day.  So would ALL coaches in this league.  So would most experts.  Obviously, DOC and Danny feel the same.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: God almighty, how do you make it stop

In Response to God almighty, how do you make it stop:
    This noise about Rondo just buzzing and buzzing.  I think I have tinitus.  Makes me want to dig it out of Pud's head with a shrimp fork.
    Posted by shines01

You might want to consider the IGNORE option, shines. I promise to disappear.

As for your other demons... I haven't a clue and don't want to know.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : I agree with you, however Russell Westbrook is a handfull for everyone in the NBA to cover. He was a good player last season and over the summer while playing for Team U.S.A he blossomed into a great player.     There sure are a lot of great point guards in the NBA currently.
    Posted by mem17

Thats correct.  Russell Westbrook is the hardest PG to cover in this league.  He is the quickest and has excellent ball control.  He is an awesome scorer.  BUT, his distribution skills and decision making skills are not even close to Deron's, Rondo's, Chris', Nash's or Kidd's.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

the rondo debate is stupid. but it's not going away. many or most posters here seek to establish some sort of identity. puddinpuddin and acie and the others know rondo's a very talented player. but they have established themselves as contrarian in regards to him and are not likely to change their stance. ordinarily i can appreciate that sort of thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : True, but in Rondo's case it means everyone is being involved.  Rondo keeps track of who has how many shots, who is hot, and he rewards people for putting themselves in a situation where they can take a high-percentage shot. Posted by bilalkazmi

so rondo has a steel trap of a brain about everything in the game except himself having basic shooting fundamentals?  genius or maddening?  4th quarter material in close slow-down games?  not really.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

the rondo debate  is stupid. but it's not going away. many or most posters here seek to establish some sort of identity. puddinpuddin and acie and the others know rondo's a very talented player. but they have established themselves as contrarian in regards to him and are not likely to change their stance. ordinarily i can appreciate that sort of thing.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

no need to appreciate anything- just realize that you are justifying to yourself going unconditionally with the first point guard in the league to clang 50% free throws and be unable to shoot a jumper since izzy hamilton in 1946 who shot 50% but back the everyone averaged 2.1 points a game and shot 32% so izzy was hot.

i mean really.  at what point do you get embarrassed over unconditionally supporting rondo who is two coats of paint away from being great but is now actively running away from a consistent scoring role this year as the team star core fades into old age?  nothing of it makes sense to me, but you're okay with it?

who's crazy?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : True, but in Rondo's case it means everyone is being involved.  Rondo keeps track of who has how many shots, who is hot, and he rewards people for putting themselves in a situation where they can take a high-percentage shot. People talked about Rondo not taking a layup for a Ray 3 pointer.  First of all, the layup wasnt as open as people make it seem.  It would have been a contested layup, though chances were that Rondo would make it.  Ray in his sweet-spot with an open 3 pointer is a VERY high percentage look.  Ray was also heating up from the 3 point line.  IMO, that was a very good decision by Rondo. I don't understand why we all keep talking about Rondo not being an able PG for our team.  To me it is down right stupid.  We have won a championship with Rondo.  And probably would have won another one if KG wasn't playing on one leg and Perk hadn't gone down in game 6 of the finals. Some posters seem to think that focusing on assists is a bad thing.  One even equated it to being the same as Kobe scoring 30+ but shooting 15 for 45 to get there.  To me this is a stupid analogy.  There is no comparison.  The first is an example of selfless play, the second is an example of selfish play.  15 for 45 is bad, but having high assists means your team is shooting efficiently. Nate Robinson is not a true point guard.  He is a shooting guard.  He will never be able to pass like Rondo, just like Rondo will never be able to score like Nate.  Neither player can drastically change their game at this point in their careers.  I will pick Rondo over Nate to run our offense every day.  So would ALL coaches in this league.  So would most experts.  Obviously, DOC and Danny feel the same.
    Posted by bilalkazmi

First off,  your going off the deep end making a case for Rondo over Nate... thats not the issue. Rondo should be the starter imo

You think the Kobe analogy of 15-45 is poor.. well what if Rondo threw a bunch a high risk thread the needle passes and 10 of 17 got through, youd be cheering he got 10 assists?

You say Nate will never be able to pass like Rondo.. ok Ill give you that. Can Rondo shoot jumpers of Ft's like Nate? NO... Will defenses sag off and basically ignore Nate in the 1/2 court offense like they do Rondo? NO

Point is sometimes theres a time/place where Nate is a better choice than Rondo. Like the end of games & 1/2 court offenses in crunch time. You know how much easier it would be for teams to close the gap hacking Rondo? They can double Pierce and let Rondo have a set shot... he'll rarely take it. If you cant see that, I cant help you out.

Its not about who's a better PG... its about Rondo not being complete and Nate being able to add those dimensions at appropriate times

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Rhondo just needs to learn how to shoot.  He can do everything else better than most every guard in the league.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

As everything else you cannot make a blanket statement that we would be better off with Nate or Rondo..........Circumstances will dictate what will happen........if you have a game that has become a half court game with the score close then I would give the nod to Nate due to Rondo's poor shooting Posted by damfuno

THANK YOU- that's what i have said here.  play it by ear in the fourth quarter and if the game grinds to a halt put nate in there and let him prove you wrong- becuase if he's ON, he prevents all the sag down miseries, etc. that befall this team in slow down mode with rondo overly afraid of being hacked to shoot freebies.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    I'm sick and tired of all those Rondo-bashing posts. Let it be , people. He signed 5-year contract and as of right now looks like a franchise player.
    Let's look at the pure stats. He, so far, averages (rounded) 11-5-14. Which means that his assists are translated to about 31 points (11x2 + 3x3). Which means that he averages 42 points a game! I doubt that anyone'd beach about a player with such scoring abilities. And I didn't even count his rebounds andd steals.
    If you want to compare him to DWill, 22-10-4, he has aprox. the same scoring equivalent.
    If you want to compare RR to Nate, I'd take Doc's and DA's opinion, knowledge, experience in basketball over Runrun's any time. BTW, RR has contract more than 2x that of Nate (years and $$).
    Also, let's not forget opinion of such people as Cooz and Magic.
    Yes, Nate is a better scorer. Yes, RR is horrible at FT. Yes, RR is not a perfect PG. Guess what - nobody is. So if you don't like RR - tough luck. Live with it.

AK

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : 4th quarter vs. Nets... game on the line.... Nate's 25 foot dagger three at 0:56 sec.... and then his fast break dish back to KG for the point blank jam at 0:38sec brought tears of joy to my face.  Neither play would have been made by Rondo. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

I agree...with Rondo we would have had two Ray Allen threes and a PP three point play. Are we watching the same game. It is obvious that the offense has more options with Rondon leading at point. Last nights game should be putting your nonsense to rest. Or are we to assume you actually think you know better than Doc Rivers who should be playing in the fourth quarter?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : THANK YOU- that's what i have said here.  play it by ear in the fourth quarter and if the game grinds to a halt put nate in there and let him prove you wrong- becuase if he's ON, he prevents all the sag down miseries, etc. that befall this team in slow down mode with rondo overly afraid of being hacked to shoot freebies.
    Posted by aciemvp

Does your name reflect that you are one of the Acie Law fans who talked about how Acie was better than Rondo? If it does I think your opinion is highly suspect and you should consider that maybe there is some flaw in how you view the point situation.

And given Acie Law's failure you should try a new name or avoid criticizing Rondo or any other point guard as you clearly have serious flaws in how you look at the position.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenkillme. Show greenkillme's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : THANK YOU- that's what i have said here.  play it by ear in the fourth quarter and if the game grinds to a halt put nate in there and let him prove you wrong- becuase if he's ON, he prevents all the sag down miseries, etc. that befall this team in slow down mode with rondo overly afraid of being hacked to shoot freebies.
    Posted by aciemvp

I just took a look at your posting history and you have unequivocally bashed Rondo from the get go. For years.  You have been proven wrong or are you thinking you are smarter than all the pundits who have pretty much put Rondo in the category of elite NBA point guards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

The main job of the point guard is to run the offense of the team. Rondo is averaging 14 plus assists per game. What is there to complain about? He may lack consistency in his jump shots and free throws, but he has shown that he can generate offense for the team when necessary. He can also pull down rebounds with the best of them. Rondo is still a work in progress and returns every season better than the last.  We can expect that he will continue to work on his shooting during the off-season. I recall that Jason Kidd was offensively challenged when he entered the NBA. Over the years, he's developed a fairly consistent outside shot. Can't see why Rondo can't do the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

acie earl, notable celtic stiff and most decidedly not mvp material. hmmm? maybe that explains it -- aciemvp deals in irony.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : True because if Rondo played they would have been up 15 against the Nets in the 4th which means Rondo would be resting up for the Raptors.
    Posted by maine12

correct

Puddin is this boards resident moron whose hateful vendetta against rondo should be ignored for its supreme ignorance and idiocy, and yet people like Kirk feed the troll

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : Does your name reflect that you are one of the Acie Law fans who talked about how Acie was better than Rondo? Posted by greenkillme

no, my name is a very shallow double entendre referring to one of the worst big men ever to put on a green uniform..... acie EARL..... ??  does the picture look like acie law?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are better with Nate at the point : I just took a look at your posting history and you have unequivocally bashed Rondo from the get go. For years.  Posted by greenkillme

you must watch too much olbermann, where any critical thinking is equivocated to hate crimes and such.

i have been a critique of rondo because i want the most out of him.  we have not gotten it yet.  so far this year people are swooning over his increased assist numbers while his scoring (important to have a scoring threat of a point guard or jacque vaghuan might have been a legend?!) is in the toilet, complete with a career worst free throw percentage.

i don't have low expectations when it comes to rondo.  if you've ever read my posts before, then you read how i have 20, 50 times or more stated that I BELIEVE rondo COULD BE the best point guard in the game hands down- by a country mile.

however, he can never be that until he masters the jumper.  i know it's a dead horse.  but, numbnuts, the current discussion centers around WHICH POINT GUARD is BETTER ON THE FLOOR FOR THE TEAM in the fourth quarter if the game becomes slow down.  the answer is that NATE must be given a try to see if he offers anything more than the evasive-to-ball-handling-duties and meek-to-shoot 4th quarter rondo has in the past.

we need to get the double downs and sag defense off of our aging vets if we want to win it all.  can't you see that?  the SECOND that rondo becomes a consistent shooting threat and competent free throw shooter, then he is my fourth quarter man for this team, not to mention BEST GUARD IN THE LEAGUE.  until that point, we have to explore all options as far as what's best for the team.

if you interpret that as hate then you are a modern day thought police lackey, duly formed by the quack pinko public education and university system where any dissent at all is hatred.  you can say it all you want but it doesn't make it true. 

Sections
Shortcuts