Celtics are too old is getting too old

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old

We may be 10 deep in numbers but in reality we are not even close to that. Shaq can't hit a free throw, JO is soft and Perk is recovering from a major injury. Unlike some here I don't have much faith in Rondo yet what with his failings so I hope he has been working on that. From what I've seen of the Worlds, he hasn't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

wow.....just when I thought we were free from trolls a new one shows up.....quite smug, I might add (smug.....quite often another word for young punk)...anyway...to each his own....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old:
    Thank you to Bob for making my thread as long as it has. No one has disputed that the lakers are older this year than we are, or that both teams are ready to have at it again.  Should be great, but you guys bore me now, same old non-smack talk day after day, troll after troll, handle after handle....................................think I'll try another thread.  Thanks again bob...or KB24, or whoever you think you are!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Well, which is it? Would you like me to be bob, or KB24? I think I would prefer bob. Always wanted to be a Robert. My friends could call me bob. So, bob it is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : This thread is about age, not injuries. But with Garnett's issues and Perkins injury, I'd be happy to go there. Maybe you should read my post again. What I am saying is that your Big 3 is 2-4 years older than their Laker counterparts, and that Bynum is younger than Perk and MUCH younger than Shaq or even JON.   
    Posted by CK57

You said Ratliff is just a 3rd string Center. I don't believe that. It's impossible that Gasol, Bynum, and Odom will play all 82 games. Sooner or later Ratliff is going to play significant minutes for the Lakers. 

Every NBA team needs at least 4 bigs for an entire season. It's a long season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

The Lakers have been operating with there 3 main bigs for a number of seasons now. Mbenga and co got trash minutes but it was the Laker big 3 that carried them. Ratliff will be used for trash minutes unless the injury curse hits.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

The Lakers have been operating with there 3 main bigs for a number of seasons now. Mbenga and co got trash minutes but iw the Laker big 3 that carried them. Ratliff will be used for trash minutes unless the injury curse hits.
    Posted by RUMcHale

The Lakers had some injuries last year and both Bynum and Gasol missed some games. Mbenga, the guy Ratliff is replacing played a grand total of 355 minutes for the year, his most as a Laker. He appeared in 49 games and averaged a little under 7.5 minutes a game. Hardly big minutes, even with some injuries factored in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : The Lakers had some injuries last year and both Bynum and Gasol missed some games. Mbenga, the guy Ratliff is replacing played a grand total of 355 minutes for the year, his most as a Laker. He appeared in 49 games and averaged a little under 7.5 minutes a game. Hardly big minutes, even with some injuries factored in.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it

Wow, he must have been earning a bunch when you divide his salary by the minutes played. Pro sports people don't know how lucky they are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : Let's not forget Ratliff will take BOTH Mbenga and Powell's mins next year.  With Walton hurt, they have Blake, Barnes, Brown, and Sasha, to go with Odom (who is a great 6th man).  Assuming the trolls are correct, and Ratliff rarely plays, that means major mins for Odom, Gasol and Bynum...............and let's not forget the immortal Derrick Caracter, who has a weight clause in his contract.  BABY doesn't even have a weight clause!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Not really, the minutes work out pretty good with those 3. Bynum averages 30.4, Gasol averages 37, and Odom averages 31.5 per game. Mbenga and Powell sucked hard, barely played, and the minutes were still completely workable. Ratliff and Caracter can easily full the roles of those scrubs, probably better. 

No offense, but Big Baby needs a weight clause in his contract. The Lakers gave Caracter a guaranteed contract, which is not all that usual for a second rounder. About half of that money is contingent on him being in shape, hardly unfair for a guy who dropped down the board because he couldn't control his weight.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : Not really, the minutes work out pretty good with those 3. Bynum averages 30.4, Gasol averages 37, and Odom averages 31.5 per game. Mbenga and Powell sucked hard, barely played, and the minutes were still completely workable. Ratliff and Caracter can easily full the roles of those scrubs, probably better.  No offense, but Big Baby needs a weight clause in his contract. The Lakers gave Caracter a guaranteed contract, which is not all that usual for a second rounder. About half of that money is contingent on him being in shape, hardly unfair for a guy who dropped down the board because he couldn't control his weight.
    Posted by Give-in-to-it

Clearly you're talking about something that you know nothing about. Glen Davis' contract has a weight clause. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : Clearly you're talking about something that you know nothing about. Glen Davis' contract has a weight clause. 
    Posted by P34

You are right, and I couldn't care less about Baby's contract. I was responding to the other Celtics fan who made the comment that Baby doesn't even have a weight clause, as a means of demeaning the Lakers way of doing business. If he has one, that is probably good, because it is warranted. You're beef is with him, not me. Now go get him tiger.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : Was that his old contract, or his new one?  I don't think it was his first contract.
    Posted by BirdandCowens

His 2nd contract. In order for Glen to get the full amount each year he must keep his weight in check. Something like that. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Baby has a weight clause, not sure how's that going to work with Shaq around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

Baby has a weight clause, not sure how's that going to work with Shaq around.
    Posted by RUMcHale

A weight clause is just simply smart business when you are dealing with athletes that can not manage their weight without incentive. Caracter should have one, so should Glen Davis, and so should Shaq, especially Shaq.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

I believe Shaq had one when he was in LA, it was called Kobe.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Didn't Kobe use to call Shaq out about his weight when he turned up for the start of a new season?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

Didn't Kobe use to call Shaq out about his weight when he turned up for the start of a new season?
    Posted by RUMcHale

It never mattered, Shaq was always in atrocious shape to start the season, save maybe the first couple in LA. I remember the surgery Shaq delayed until after the start of the season, that created some stir amongst the fans. Then Shaq made the comment on hurting it on company time, and fixing it on company time. Shaq lost a lot of fans over that little incident.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

I'm sure multi-millionaire/ actor/ cartoon character/ icon/ future HOF'er/ sure to have to number retired in LA / Shaq cares about how many fans he's lost in LA!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

The physical ability to be the greatest of all time might have been there if Shaq ever cared enough to try and tap into it, but he didn't. This is no doubt why Bill Simmons wrote that he is despised in the coaching ranks. Shaq never cared about what his coaches think, so how could he possibly care about the fan base?

Thanks for pointing that out, but you aren't saying anything that wasn't made abundantly clear by Shaq through his lackadaisical effort throughout his career. Like a lot of athletes, he didn't respect his gifts. He was good enough to do the minimum, and still be dominant, so that is what he did. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

As "atrocious" shape as he may or may not be in, he is still: better now than Theo Ratliff ever was a major upgrade over Sheed Thanks for continuing my thread, you da man!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Continuing your thread? What does that even mean? I think someone is in need of some cheap validation, poor guy. Glad I could help, I guess. If I was a gambler, I would bet that Shaq will end up not being a major upgrade over what Sheed brought to the Celtics at playoff time. The league is starved for legit centers, and yet, Shaq had no market, and had to sign for vet minimum. There is a reason for this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : Yes, he wanted more money, and when he realized he couldn't get it, he went to the best situation possible for him..........thanks for caring about YOUR future jersey in the rafters guy
    Posted by BirdandCowens

And why, in a NBA starved of true centers would Shaq not be able to get nothing but minimum offers from only 1 contender? Miami is in dire need of big men, but no interest in Shaq, why is that do you think?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : He burned bridges with Pat Riley??????????? Challenge me, Bob, everyone knows Riley holds major grudges.  He resigned from the Knicks via fax!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

What are you talking about? Challenge you to what?  I am Robert, and my friends call me bob, I remember. Why are you so huffy and and bitter? I am extending your thread, I thought you would be happy. 

Was that question a sore subject or something? No one else wanted Shaq, no big deal. No need to get temperamental, it was just a question.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : And why, in a NBA starved of true centers would Shaq not be able to get nothing but minimum offers from only 1 contender? Miami is in dire need of big men, but no interest in Shaq, why is that do you think?
    Posted by Give-in-to-it

-

Why is Miami in dire need of big men?

Shaq want's to play till he's 40 and play for a contender, plus he's got a bone to pick with both Kobe and Bron. He's made over $300 Mill in salary alone over his career as someone else pointed out, plus endorsements so the money is not all that important to him.

I believe the C's took a gamble on Shaq, a welcome gamble in my opinion, and rolled the dice --  if he doesn't work out, they cut him with no big financial loss.

But he may toe the line and be a good citizen for his last season if he can keep his eye on the prize, then it would be a win/win,which what I hope for.

Now, can I get one of those big thank you's for continuing the thread, which by the way I know you stole from me from a post of mine in another thread.  No charge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Give-in-to-it. Show Give-in-to-it's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics are too old is getting too old : I don't think I like the new Bob...............no verbal assaults, no insults, no morons, how about a nice NAZI reference..............oh yeah, you did that, hey what happened to that?  Oh, right, I ratted you out again. How's the old currency market going, Bob?
    Posted by BirdandCowens

New bob old bob? What is with you? You wanted me to be bob, so I agreed, now what do you want? Do you mean to tell me that the mildly sarcastic NAZI reference to the Lakers organization really offended you. Hmmm, it was just made in jest. Sorry if that offended you, but I can't really understand why. I mean you just made a NAZI reference, and it doesn't bother me in the least. Are you always this sensitive? I wasn't calling you or anybody a NAZI, you understand that right?

Currency Market? You aren't making any sense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

CK 57,

Heres the problem about your age of the big 3 argument.

last year in the finals the OLDER big 3 kept the celtics in the series with a PG who could not shoot a jumper and a center who does not have an offensive game.

With having robinson and west as back up PG's the celtics are better in the fact that there shooters who can make shots who can make the laker defense honest. How many times did kobe sag on rondo?...ALOT...

Also your kobe vs ray allen argument. Sure duh kobe is better but fisher/blake will be on ray most of the time and not kobe. and when ray has been on kobe kobe hasnt shut down ray...ray has gotten his points...

Put an older shaq and joneal. THOSE GUYS CAN SCORE...now bynum will have to play the center on the defensive end instead of playing a zone. And with KG being 1 on 1 with gasol more than having to go 2 on 1. KG will do better against paul. And with ball movement the celtics can use delonte west/nate robinson to open the ball for paul against ron artest. And with the inside scoring somebody will have to double. The lakers NEVER DOUBLED. in the finals.

In regards to the bench...

Baby can rebound...WHO GIVES A F about virsitility. Did you see what baby did on odom...
    Heres your 2nd unit against bostons..
    LA: PG: blake , SG Brown, sF BArns, pF Odom, Gasol......
    BOS: PG: West, Sg, N robinson, Sf M Danilels, PF. Baby, C. S oneal...
    To me thats pretty even...
    With Perk coming back With shooters like von wafer...with west and robinson...

Heres the difference Boston has insurance to rest KG. They can have baby start. And have 2 centers where they can play erden who is 7 foot 1.

Good Job danny you made boston BIGGER AND STRONGER than LA. and with the chip on there shoulder. With shaq wanting to put his little brother in his place. BOSTON will edge out the lakers.
    If health works in there favor

PS: sure boston is an old team but you have AS MUCH 30 year olds on your team. YOU know what they say about 30...Thats when you get injured.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoctorCO. Show DoctorCO's posts

Elas b,

I think shaq should start because he is a better offensive player. than joneal and perk..

I have never been a perk fan...

But look at my post about the second units..there pretty even thats why they play the games..

But what bothers me with you faker fans is that you think kob bryant is 20. And thats not the truth.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

CK 57, Heres the problem about your age of the big 3 argument. last year in the finals the OLDER big 3 kept the celtics in the series with a PG who could not shoot a jumper and a center who does not have an offensive game. With having robinson and west as back up PG's the celtics are better in the fact that there shooters who can make shots who can make the laker defense honest. How many times did kobe sag on rondo?...ALOT... Also your kobe vs ray allen argument. Sure duh kobe is better but fisher/blake will be on ray most of the time and not kobe. and when ray has been on kobe kobe hasnt shut down ray...ray has gotten his points... Put an older shaq and joneal. THOSE GUYS CAN SCORE...now bynum will have to play the center on the defensive end instead of playing a zone. And with KG being 1 on 1 with gasol more than having to go 2 on 1. KG will do better against paul. And with ball movement the celtics can use delonte west/nate robinson to open the ball for paul against ron artest. And with the inside scoring somebody will have to double. The lakers NEVER DOUBLED. in the finals. In regards to the bench... Baby can rebound...WHO GIVES A F about virsitility. Did you see what baby did on odom... Heres your 2nd unit against bostons.. LA: PG: blake , SG Brown, sF BArns, pF Odom, Gasol...... BOS: PG: West, Sg, N robinson, Sf M Danilels, PF. Baby, C. S oneal... To me thats pretty even... With Perk coming back With shooters like von wafer...with west and robinson... Heres the difference Boston has insurance to rest KG. They can have baby start. And have 2 centers where they can play erden who is 7 foot 1. Good Job danny you made boston BIGGER AND STRONGER than LA. and with the chip on there shoulder. With shaq wanting to put his little brother in his place. BOSTON will edge out the lakers. If health works in there favor PS: sure boston is an old team but you have AS MUCH 30 year olds on your team. YOU know what they say about 30...Thats when you get injured.
    Posted by DoctorCO

-

Nice post Doc.  I like your line of reasoning.  I don't find much to argue about in anything you say.

I've always maintained that I'd rather see Jermaine start than Shaq because of how slow Shaq is, but I believe in actuality it doesn't matter too much and they will take turns based on matchups till Perk gets back.

Danny did do a dammed decent job.

Sections
Shortcuts