Celtics can contend in 14 with KG and Pierce

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Celtics can contend in 14 with KG and Pierce

Lots of talk before this game about what Danny will do in the off season and the consensus was to buy out Paul and shop KG ...

My two cents: I think with Rondo returning, we will be a much better team. What we've seen with Rondo out is that Avery, Jeff and Brandon are all really solid ROLE players. None of these guys will be able to lead a team. Rondo can. Paul can no longer handle the ball and run the team. Rondo is that player.

What we need this offseason: Avery needs to refocus on his defense, his off the ball movement on offense and his spot up shooting. Jeff needs to learn how to go left. Jeff also needs to learn how to kick the ball out to the corner or top of the key on a drive. Look at LeBron, he is so good cause he can get to the basket, teams collapse, he kicks out. I think that it is evident that Jeff has that ability to get to the hoop and score off of many angles and draw the foul, The last piece of his game is passing, the ability to kick it out to Avery or Jordan I  the corner, or Paul on the top of the key. As for Paul, he needs to be in a position where he initiates offense off the dribble only a few possessions a game. He can't be handling theall this much.Rondo will help that.

Rebounding (defensive) has killed us and we need to improve in that area in order for our defense to be affective. I think Jared will help us immensly with that. He has a knack for the ball and looks to get his own on offense.

Guards: I think Doc trusts JET, and JET has what it takes to be effective next year. The decision with Rondo coming back is what to do with the other guys. I think Crawford stays as he is a shot maker, high energy, buying into the defense (can be a really decent 6 or 7th man). We need a backup point, so I think that Williams is a solid cheap option. Odd man out is Lee. I think he is packaged with someone else in possibly a sign and trade for the missing piece:

The final piece is shot blocking. I don't know that Melo will b developed enough next year. Unfortunately I think Wilcox is gone. We need a shot blocker in the paint to come off the bench or pair with Kevin. We are weak playing Brandon at the 5 and you're really hurting his value. I'm not sure who we go after, or if we have the money.

The one thing I don't want to see is a huge amount of change for the sake of change. If Rondo is looking good to come back over the summer, I think Danny needs to stick with what was clearly a two year extension of the big 3 era. Let's give it another shot. We had the pieces, we needed a year for the new guys to gel and I think we can get off to a much better start next year so that we are in a position for the 2 or 3 spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Celtics can contend in 14 with KG and Pierce

IMO the Celtics would have a great chance at competing for the title next year if KG and Pierce return but DA has got to get better talent. I remember hearing Greg Anthony saying on ESPN a few years ago how teams draft based on their image, what defines them. He stated that Boston was a defensive team that picked up players that fit their image. Well, DA strayed from that. Sullinger and Rondo will be back next year. Jeff Green will hopefully realize just how good he is. If DA can bring some bigs on board that can play I would really Boston's chances.

I wish that DA would go back and study the team that won number 17 to see why it was so successful. He put together a team that was awesome defensively and offensively, it rebounded, it intimidated opposing players from trying to attack Boston's interior, it could spread the floor offensively just as it could attack the interior, it come at you in waves with a rotation that could go 12 deep easily, it had a great collection of role players. It is just as important to know why you are successful as knowing why you are unsuccessful.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

The Celts need a 5 and KG should be on the 2nd unit.  Enable that and improve at 2.  If that can happen the Celts have a chance.  Not otherwise.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to prakash's comment:

The Celts need a 5 and KG should be on the 2nd unit.  Enable that and improve at 2.  If that can happen the Celts have a chance.  Not otherwise.

Agree with you about another 5.  If this had happened this year we would have been a lot better team.  Not sure we need another 2.  With Rondo back next season we have Bradley back  playing the 2. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

No disrespect to PP or KG, but the Cs will not be contenders next year with these 2-guys taking up approximately 50% of the teams cap space! A playoff team maybe, contenders No! 

With that stated, the Cs will not be contenders without PP and KG either! 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I understand the salary cap observation.  But what are the moves to be made if salary cap space was availabale?  How will teh Celts become contenders again?  They have to draft and develop talent.  That is not a salary cap issue.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i think the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  danny has had years and years to assemble impressive supporting casts and never did it once.  we were always naked or last second patching a position or two positions....

does anyone really expect old dan-o to "get it" at the point guard and center positions and MANAGE doc to do something more than ADDHD lineup shuffling for 78 games before deciding on a lineup finally?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

"shop KG"- get rid of KG.  KG is not worth the time of day at 11 million dollars on an OLD TEAM that you are trying to trick into a contender.  KG should have shot Danny out of the saddle at 11M and insisted on only signing for 2 million MAX- the guy has pocketed 350 million on salary only, not including endorsements.  he should have worked for next to nothing this year and then we could have gotten a real 5 and some 1 back up.  instead, you get what you see- just KG and no backup for rondo.

get rid of KG.  it's over

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

How can you assemble an impressive supporting cast when KG, Pierce, and Ray were eating more than half of the Celts cap space?

The Celts were and still are a team over the salary cap.

This season for example, the Celts only had the MLE to offer and no quality big man was available for the MLE

Ilyasova got 8m per year.

Kris Humphries got 12m per year.

Maybe we should ask Greg Popovich. Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker are certainly taking up a big chunk of San Antonio's payroll and  they are still very competitive...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

If we had signed K Mart and a dead eye shooter (Reddick)we would be making some serious noise...This was possible...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to Ortiz123's comment:

If we had signed K Mart and a dead eye shooter (Reddick)we would be making some serious noise...This was possible...

it was all possible.  danny sat around like a dead fish and watched k-mart and bird man go by and be signed by others.  as well as other moves that could have been made that were not. 

this  has become standard fare for the celtics- assemble an inadequate roster, repulse one or two players off of it that could have been useful and then play dead at the trade deadline or throw in some USEFUL pieces who were booking negligible salary on deals (ERDEN, ROBINSON) and just dump them when you DO make the rare trade deadline move

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

A few S&T's and a decent draft pick as well as letting a few guys walk will enable the C's to rework the roster if Pierce & KG do stay .

Here are a few guys that can be had at reasonable cost and all are FA's, have ETO's or QO's that can be doable;

PG > Bayless (ETO) $3M .... Jennings (QO) $4M

SG > Morrow (UFA) $4M

F > Clark (UFA) $1.2M .... Aminu (UFA) $2.9M

C > Paculia (UFA) $5.2M .... Cole Aldrich (UFA) $2.4M

Note: Salaries listed are for 2012-13 or QO for upcoming year

Clark says he wants to return to the Lakers and will take less money

Mark Medina @MarkG_Medina 5h

Earl Clark told me he wants to come back to Lakers even if they can only offer less money, fewer years compared to other possible teams

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

Doubt KG will be back. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

"shop KG"- get rid of KG.  KG is not worth the time of day at 11 million dollars on an OLD TEAM that you are trying to trick into a contender.  KG should have shot Danny out of the saddle at 11M and insisted on only signing for 2 million MAX- the guy has pocketed 350 million on salary only, not including endorsements.  he should have worked for next to nothing this year and then we could have gotten a real 5 and some 1 back up.  instead, you get what you see- just KG and no backup for rondo.

get rid of KG.  it's over

I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts on many other threads.  Most Celtics fans believe that KG is being paid a reasonable amount.  If he really wanted to give the Celtics the chance to compete this year he would have agreed to resign with the Celtics for $2 million as you stated above.  This would have given the Celtics the cap space to sign another 5.   I also agree with you that he doesn't need the money.  Shaq did it a few years ago when he signed with the Celtics and wasn't being paid a lot but just wanted a chance to play for another championship. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

the longer PP starts at the 3, the longer jeff green's growth will be slowed. green's a natural 3 and should be starting there. end of story. in green, rondo and bradley we have three very nice starters at the 1-2-3. admittedly, neither rondo or bradley has a deadly outside shot. if we could get a true 2-guard, bradley can come off the bench at the 1 or the 2. that might actually be ideal.

as i said, green should start a the 3. will sully be ready to start at the 4? i hope so. if not, we might need a 1-year band-aid starter at the 4 while sully hopefully picks up his development where it left off before the surgery. enter KG?

and, obviously, we badly need a true 5. so all that said, it seems we need starting-caliber players at the 2 and the 5 this off-season. that should be danny's goal. i love paul pierce, but i don't see how his presence on this team helps us going forward, unless he's willing to come off the bench. even if he were willing to do that, i'm not sure that green needs to be looking over his shoulder at a boston legend like paul. no, the best for everyone, hard as it may be to accept, is that paul moves on. as stated above, KG may prove useful for one more year as a mentor for sully.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

IF Ainge/Doc decide to ride one more year with Pierce and Garnett......one player that could help next year would be S. Dalembert (UFA next year form Milwaukee).

He IS older for sure, but if Ainger could do a sogn and trade with Milwaukee for C. Lee (they have a lot of Free agents at Guard there and Dalembert was mostly a forgotten man last year there).

that would fix some of your  problems that need to be addressed ( 1. Center who can block shots and play defense, 2> Glut of Guards on the roster).

It also wouldn't increase the cap space , as long as Dalemberts new deal was in Lee's cap point ($5M or less).

adding either J. McAdoo or D. McDermott in the first round would be another piece to your puzzle, IMO.

that would give us a roster next year of:

Garnett

Dalembert

Melo

Bass

Sullinger

Randolph(?)

Pierce

Green

Rookie

Bradley

Terry

Crawford

Rondo

Williams

personally I think the team will be torn down and re-built, but you could argue that this roster would be a solid one for one more go at it and in Cap constraits also

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Lots of talk before this game about what Danny will do in the off season and the consensus was to buy out Paul and shop KG ...

My two cents: I think with Rondo returning, we will be a much better team. What we've seen with Rondo out is that Avery, Jeff and Brandon are all really solid ROLE players. None of these guys will be able to lead a team. Rondo can. Paul can no longer handle the ball and run the team. Rondo is that player.

What we need this offseason: Avery needs to refocus on his defense, his off the ball movement on offense and his spot up shooting. Jeff needs to learn how to go left. Jeff also needs to learn how to kick the ball out to the corner or top of the key on a drive. Look at LeBron, he is so good cause he can get to the basket, teams collapse, he kicks out. I think that it is evident that Jeff has that ability to get to the hoop and score off of many angles and draw the foul, The last piece of his game is passing, the ability to kick it out to Avery or Jordan I  the corner, or Paul on the top of the key. As for Paul, he needs to be in a position where he initiates offense off the dribble only a few possessions a game. He can't be handling theall this much.Rondo will help that.

Rebounding (defensive) has killed us and we need to improve in that area in order for our defense to be affective. I think Jared will help us immensly with that. He has a knack for the ball and looks to get his own on offense.

Guards: I think Doc trusts JET, and JET has what it takes to be effective next year. The decision with Rondo coming back is what to do with the other guys. I think Crawford stays as he is a shot maker, high energy, buying into the defense (can be a really decent 6 or 7th man). We need a backup point, so I think that Williams is a solid cheap option. Odd man out is Lee. I think he is packaged with someone else in possibly a sign and trade for the missing piece:

The final piece is shot blocking. I don't know that Melo will b developed enough next year. Unfortunately I think Wilcox is gone. We need a shot blocker in the paint to come off the bench or pair with Kevin. We are weak playing Brandon at the 5 and you're really hurting his value. I'm not sure who we go after, or if we have the money.

The one thing I don't want to see is a huge amount of change for the sake of change. If Rondo is looking good to come back over the summer, I think Danny needs to stick with what was clearly a two year extension of the big 3 era. Let's give it another shot. We had the pieces, we needed a year for the new guys to gel and I think we can get off to a much better start next year so that we are in a position for the 2 or 3 spot.

Put the pipe down.  There is no contending in 14.  Need to move on and blow it up.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Kg would be one of the best back up bigs in the NBA. At this point in his career he isn't any better than average as a starter.

and no the Celtics are not contending next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

I agree with you and have posted similar thoughts on many other threads.  Most Celtics fans believe that KG is being paid a reasonable amount.  If he really wanted to give the Celtics the chance to compete this year he would have agreed to resign with the Celtics for $2 million as you stated above.  This would have given the Celtics the cap space to sign another 5.   I also agree with you that he doesn't need the money.  Shaq did it a few years ago when he signed with the Celtics and wasn't being paid a lot but just wanted a chance to play for another championship. 

the only other thing that i would have to add is that pierce at 15 million is yet another disaster to the salary cap and chances to throw together a CONTENDER roster, rather than a rost of "doing it with mirrors" with incompetents and wash outs from china.