Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard......

I would say they are pretty solid.  The Celtics will have Ray Allen's salary off the books by then as well as Garnett, who will probably resign for a cheaper rate, especially if Howard was coming to Boston to play alongside him.  Here is how I see the Howard sweepstakes shape up in 2012.

1.  Lakers - An aging Kobe who will still be able to score 20 ppg will be a nice attraction as well as the chance to play in Los Angeles and be the leader for the  next 6-10 years. 

2.  Knicks - The Knicks already have Stodimier who has turned the Knicks into a solid 4-7 playoff seed.  You add Carmelo Anthony to that roster it's a solid 3-4 playoff team.  Add Chris Paul and then Dwight Howard that roster would win unlimited championships 

3.  Magic - Hometown always has a chance.  I doubt though the roster will be a championship contender to convince Howard to stay. 

4.  Heat - If the Heat find a way to unload Bosh for a solid role player that's affordable and then add Howard to team with Lebron and Wade, they would be unstoppable. 

5.  Celtics - If Garnett came back for a bargain rate to play his final few seasons and a Howard got the chance to play with Rondo in his prime, an aging Pierce who could still score between 15-20 points a game, and probably Ray Allen who would be playing for veteran minimum, it would be hard to argue for Howard to play in a solid market like Boston, following the tradition fo great centers like Russell and Parish.

6.  Nets - Brooklyn needs a superstar.  That owner will pay for quality players to be around Howard and that market is clearly big enough. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Re: Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard......

In Response to Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard......:
    [QUOTE]I would say they are pretty solid.  The Celtics will have Ray Allen's salary off the books by then as well as Garnett, who will probably resign for a cheaper rate, especially if Howard was coming to Boston to play alongside him.  Here is how I see the Howard sweepstakes shape up in 2012. 1.  Lakers - An aging Kobe who will still be able to score 20 ppg will be a nice attraction as well as the chance to play in Los Angeles and be the leader for the  next 6-10 years.  2.  Knicks - The Knicks already have Stodimier who has turned the Knicks into a solid 4-7 playoff seed.  You add Carmelo Anthony to that roster it's a solid 3-4 playoff team.  Add Chris Paul and then Dwight Howard that roster would win unlimited championships  3.  Magic - Hometown always has a chance.  I doubt though the roster will be a championship contender to convince Howard to stay.  4.  Heat - If the Heat find a way to unload Bosh for a solid role player that's affordable and then add Howard to team with Lebron and Wade, they would be unstoppable.  5.  Celtics - If Garnett came back for a bargain rate to play his final few seasons and a Howard got the chance to play with Rondo in his prime, an aging Pierce who could still score between 15-20 points a game, and probably Ray Allen who would be playing for veteran minimum, it would be hard to argue for Howard to play in a solid market like Boston, following the tradition fo great centers like Russell and Parish. 6.  Nets - Brooklyn needs a superstar.  That owner will pay for quality players to be around Howard and that market is clearly big enough.
    Posted by DuncanOrange[/QUOTE]

As much fun as it is to imagine Dwight gunning with Rondo, Ray, Pierce, and Kg, it's impossible.  First, the money wouldn't work unless the c's lost Perk and Baby without sigining anyone else.  Second, Dwight clearly dislikes the C's and would not be a good fit for our team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

You will have a bigger chance of landing an Airbus A320 on the Hudson River.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I agree with Driscoll.  I also don't believe that Dwight would ever sign with the Celtics.  Although, I could see him sign with the Lakers in the future.  Even the Lakers would have a problem signing him because of the salary cap. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deanocelt. Show deanocelt's posts

Howard's true hometown is Atlanta. What about the Hawks? Move Al Horford to Power Forward with Howard at center. Hawks get a point guard and they are off and running.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

after the end of next season, the celtics will only have pierce and rondo under contract, both at incredibly team-friendly deals. there's no reason why we shouldn't go after the premier free agents available. we can then re-sign ray and kg cheaply for reduced roles/minutes/coming off the bench

I also believe that good players will want to play with rondo, the same way players want to play with steve nash, jason kidd or chris paul, because they're so unselfish, such good teammates and consistently make their teammates better

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard...... : As much fun as it is to imagine Dwight gunning with Rondo, Ray, Pierce, and Kg, it's impossible.  First, the money wouldn't work unless the c's lost Perk and Baby without sigining anyone else.  Second, Dwight clearly dislikes the C's and would not be a good fit for our team.
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]

well founded fact based refute... perfect

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Howard and the Celtics?
    Oil and water.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I wouldn't say a "0 %"chance.  That's what Garnett thought, too. Then, he agreed.  Veterans have often thought of the Celtics as a good place to be, especially if the coach is a good one and there are other players there.  After missing out on a lot of championship opportunities, Howard could find the Celtics as an organization that wants to win (especially if we win this year and next).  After some thought, Howard may consider it, but the chances have to be around 20%.  Greater percentages for the Lakers, Clippers, Dallas, etc.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Signing Howard is beyond fantasy.  The guy who started the thread puts us at five.  The chance is no chance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

[QUOTE]I would say they are pretty solid.  The Celtics will have Ray Allen's salary off the books by then as well as Garnett, who will probably resign for a cheaper rate, especially if Howard was coming to Boston to play alongside him.  Here is how I see the Howard sweepstakes shape up in 2012. 1.  Lakers - An aging Kobe who will still be able to score 20 ppg will be a nice attraction as well as the chance to play in Los Angeles and be the leader for the  next 6-10 years.  2.  Knicks - The Knicks already have Stodimier who has turned the Knicks into a solid 4-7 playoff seed.  You add Carmelo Anthony to that roster it's a solid 3-4 playoff team.  Add Chris Paul and then Dwight Howard that roster would win unlimited championships  3.  Magic - Hometown always has a chance.  I doubt though the roster will be a championship contender to convince Howard to stay.  4.  Heat - If the Heat find a way to unload Bosh for a solid role player that's affordable and then add Howard to team with Lebron and Wade, they would be unstoppable.  5.  Celtics - If Garnett came back for a bargain rate to play his final few seasons and a Howard got the chance to play with Rondo in his prime, an aging Pierce who could still score between 15-20 points a game, and probably Ray Allen who would be playing for veteran minimum, it would be hard to argue for Howard to play in a solid market like Boston, following the tradition fo great centers like Russell and Parish. 6.  Nets - Brooklyn needs a superstar.  That owner will pay for quality players to be around Howard and that market is clearly big enough. 
    I would love to see this. Garnett and Allen will both be getting less money coming off their current deals at the end of next season. If we kept them for a reduced role or let them leave, we would have the money to get Howard. Pierce is a Celtic lifer and will be a starter as long as he can score in the 4th quarter, so with Rondo also that's 3 of your starting 5 there. This is where it is on Danny. He NEEDS to draft effective replacements for KG and Ray, or Rondo's prime years will be wasted. However much we praise Danny for aqquiring the big 3, he has been a HORRIBLE drafter other than drafting Rondo. This is when he needs to step up, and if he does we should easily have multiple championships coming up in what will be the "Rondo Years".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

When the big 3 go the Cs become the Cavs - why on earth would Howard want to come to Boston?  People act / think as that there is something attractive in Boston and that there is a reason free agents would like to come here.  Has not the blueprint been established?  Superstars go to where superstars are because it gives them a chance to win.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Believe it or not in the next year or so the Cs will not be contenders.  The very same reason Perk will likely not be here next year is the same reason Howard would never be here - the window is closing.

About 6 years ago the Pistons sent 4 guys to the all-star game and won a title and pretty much since then have been one of the cellar dwellers.  Joe Dumars went from being a genius to a laughingstock.   There is nothing at all in Detroit to lure stars to Detroit.  Ditto for Boston.

It is odd to me how people continue to think that the Celtics being a contender just continues on indefinitely.  And the only way that happens is if Danny somehow magically replaces the big 3 with 3 equally great players.  That very simply will not happen.  Joe Dumars thought hey I'll just replace Billups Wallace and Wallace with an undersized overpayed 2 guard (Ben Gordon, Charlie V), etc. and we can continue to be relevant - you can't do that.

If Pierce, Ray, and KG were in their mid-20s there would be at least a remote chance that someone of Howard's status ending up here but Howard may act like a goof but he has to be looking at the lay of the land and see that within the next 30 months the Cs will be on the outside looking in.

I think if Howard is smart (and I have no reason to believe that he is or is not) he will end up in OKC.  Howard, Westbrook, Green, Harden, Durant and then Ibaka off the bench, etc.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

No chance in hell he comes here. I'll bet anything he goes to the Lakers. Bank on it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard...... : I would love to see this. Garnett and Allen will both be getting less money coming off their current deals at the end of next season. If we kept them for a reduced role or let them leave, we would have the money to get Howard. Pierce is a Celtic lifer and will be a starter as long as he can score in the 4th quarter, so with Rondo also that's 3 of your starting 5 there. This is where it is on Danny. He NEEDS to draft effective replacements for KG and Ray, or Rondo's prime years will be wasted. However much we praise Danny for aqquiring the big 3, he has been a HORRIBLE drafter other than drafting Rondo. This is when he needs to step up, and if he does we should easily have multiple championships coming up in what will be the "Rondo Years".
    Posted by WE5NUTS[/QUOTE]

Do you know anything about basketball?  Danny has done a tremendous job drafting as far as drafting late in the first round every year can get you.

Let me enlighten you:

Pretty much if you don't draft in the top 10, you don't get very good players.....

if you constantly draft late in the first round that means your team is good and you will get nothing from the draft....

There have only been two situations where Danny had a chance to draft blue chip players and he traded both of those picks.

It is not like football or baseball or hockey where you could draft someone in the Xth round and maybe someday get a good player.

Blake Griffin is the rookie of the year and Wall is the runner up. 

The following players on the Eastern conference all-star were not drafted in the top 10 - Rondo..........  Rondo is only in the all-star game because of who he plays with.  If he was in NJ, he would not be in the game.

The following players from the western conference that were not in the top 10 follow....... Manu Ginobili.......

That leads me to the next draft rationale - NBA Gms only select foreigners when they have a late pick and take a "flier" on a player, there have only been a few foreigners that have gone high - Pau, Bargnani, Dirk, and maybe a couple of others.

In other words, the best players are drafted at the top of the draft and with few exceptions the stars in the league are drafted in the lottery.

Rondo gets in because of whom he plays with and were he in the western conference he would be behind Westbrook, Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Davis, and probably a few others.  Next year when Wall is in year 2 and Rose is the reigning MVP, Rondo's all-star 2 year run will stop unless of course his coach continues to include him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard...... : well founded fact based refute... perfect
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm?  I figured a short and sweet summary of why it wouldn't work was better than a long, drawn out reason why Dwight would never come to beantown. 

Bottom line, the C's don't and won't have the money, and we've all seen Dwight mock and try to clown the C's players as well as Boston fans, a prime example being the last time he stepped foot on our parqu floor when he made fun of KG's pregame ritual and antagonized the fans around the tunnel at halftime.  You don't need facts for this no-brainer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

he will sign with the Lakers.....beautiful weather....beautiful people...all the money he wants, and celebrities galore....Hollywood....this is why the Lakers can bring in big time free agents....Boston has history and money if needed....but we can't compete....another reason I absolutely hate free agency!!!!!!!!!  ....I'm so glad I grew up with sports from the '50's through the early '70's...then the games changed!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

[QUOTE]he will sign with the Lakers.....beautiful weather....beautiful people...all the money he wants, and celebrities galore....Hollywood....this is why the Lakers can bring in big time free agents....Boston has history and money if needed....but we can't compete....another reason I absolutely hate free agency!!!!!!!!!  ....I'm so glad I grew up with sports from the '50's through the early '70's...then the games changed!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Yeah I hear you on that, but I think that talent brings talent.  Look at the clippers for instance. They play in the same arena as the Lakers but they can't get free agency talent to save their lives.  It's all about what the team has, not necessarilty where it is located.  The Lakers (as much as it kills me to say) have exactly what Dwight would want in terms of talent: a great scorer in Kobe, a good Mid range player in Gasol, and a good facilitator in Fisher.  The capstone in the decision would be the location and the extra curricular activities that LA can offer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard...... : Do you know anything about basketball?  Danny has done a tremendous job drafting as far as drafting late in the first round every year can get you. Let me enlighten you: Pretty much if you don't draft in the top 10, you don't get very good players..... if you constantly draft late in the first round that means your team is good and you will get nothing from the draft.... There have only been two situations where Danny had a chance to draft blue chip players and he traded both of those picks. It is not like football or baseball or hockey where you could draft someone in the Xth round and maybe someday get a good player. Blake Griffin is the rookie of the year and Wall is the runner up.  The following players on the Eastern conference all-star were not drafted in the top 10 - Rondo..........  Rondo is only in the all-star game because of who he plays with.  If he was in NJ, he would not be in the game. The following players from the western conference that were not in the top 10 follow....... Manu Ginobili....... That leads me to the next draft rationale - NBA Gms only select foreigners when they have a late pick and take a "flier" on a player, there have only been a few foreigners that have gone high - Pau, Bargnani, Dirk, and maybe a couple of others. In other words, the best players are drafted at the top of the draft and with few exceptions the stars in the league are drafted in the lottery. Rondo gets in because of whom he plays with and were he in the western conference he would be behind Westbrook, Paul, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Davis, and probably a few others.  Next year when Wall is in year 2 and Rose is the reigning MVP, Rondo's all-star 2 year run will stop unless of course his coach continues to include him.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

Wow - lots going on here. This is a very good post about what happens in the draft and the NBA All star game as an example of how drafting comes out.  Good points, Dudder.  However, Danny has taken a number of flyers on players.  He could not get an all star but he could have gotten better than he got.  First, he doesn't get credit for drafting Rondo.  he got him in a trade with Phoenix.  Also, from Gerald Green to Orien Greene to Bill Walker to Giddens to Avery Bradley, Danny has passed up good players to take a chance on someone.  Look at the draft for the last 5 years and look who's drafted below Danny's picks.  Now, I know drafting is difficult.  Danny is my man and I think he's done "ok".  But, let's not fool ourselves just because we love Danny.  His picks are not terrible, but not very good, either.  

People like Facts.  Here are some players drafted after JR Giddens:  Mario Chalmers, DeAndre Jordan, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Goran Dragic.  Danny did have better choices.  Of course, Danny had some winners, too (Glen Baby Davis, Perk, Jefferson, to name a few).   So, Danny's done "ok", not terrible, not great.  He's much better at the trade and free agency.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

I don't want any part of that thug. One of the most overrated players in NBA history. The salary cap makes it a moot point anyway.

Let some other team overpay for him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics Chances Of Landing Dwight Howard...... : Wow - lots going on here. This is a very good post about what happens in the draft and the NBA All star game as an example of how drafting comes out.  Good points, Dudder.  However, Danny has taken a number of flyers on players.  He could not get an all star but he could have gotten better than he got.  First, he doesn't get credit for drafting Rondo.  he got him in a trade with Phoenix.  Also, from Gerald Green to Orien Greene to Bill Walker to Giddens to Avery Bradley, Danny has passed up good players to take a chance on someone.  Look at the draft for the last 5 years and look who's drafted below Danny's picks.  Now, I know drafting is difficult.  Danny is my man and I think he's done "ok".  But, let's not fool ourselves just because we love Danny.  His picks are not terrible, but not very good, either.   People like Facts.  Here are some players drafted after JR Giddens:  Mario Chalmers, DeAndre Jordan, Chris Douglas-Roberts, and Goran Dragic.  Danny did have better choices.  Of course, Danny had some winners, too (Glen Baby Davis, Perk, Jefferson, to name a few).   So, Danny's done "ok", not terrible, not great.  He's much better at the trade and free agency.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

I agree but my post was in response to the guy that said Danny was terrible.

Danny has drafted ZERO all-stars and "Danny has had some winners too"  Davis, Perk, Jefferson - zero all-star games.  I watched Utah play Phoenix a week or so ago and Jefferson looks completely lost - he is not even 1% better today in year 7 than he was when he came into the league.  Perk is a journeyman who thinks more of his game than anyone in the league, and Davis is a tweener with the IQ of an ice cube.

Danny will take credit for pulling the Big 3 together and will ride off into the sunset when they are gone.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Dudder,
    I get your opinion of Perk, but where did you get so up close with Baby to know he is so dumb. He certainly plays like a player with a good basketball IQ.

Rondo is certainly of high intelligence and you don't like him either. So why assess the intelligence of DA's draft picks, it is not relevant.  He has done a pretty good job of assessing talent.  BBD is a prime example, despite his ice cube like intelligence the guy is a player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framdude. Show framdude's posts

really?? How are the Lakers supposed get DH? They are the #1 team in terms of payroll at over $90mill. they are over the cap for the next 2 years. between Kobe and Gasol they pay almost $47 mill for 2 players.  Ron artest and Derek fisher have player option in 2012(which they will be sure to exercise)
    Lakers can only do a sign and trade with ORlando, the question is who does Orlando want from Lakers?. Bynum and Odom have team options, do Orlando really want those guys? It's not a cake walk as people make it out to be. Maybe LA sends Gasol to Orlando. but why would Orlando want him, Gasol is sinking fast and he is owed $*it load of money for the next 3 years.
    If the Lakers don't make it NBA finals this season, there might be a lot of changes in LA land next season, unless the Lakers start to gut their roster in anticipation of DH free agency to get under the cap (which is hard to do).
    they have no chance of landing DH.
    The age factor is also a big factor for Lakers much like the Celtics. Fisher is a good facilitator? I would go to LAtimes.com to see what LA fans think of Fisher, Artest, and the rest of supporting cast.
    Atleast Celtics have some younger players like Rondo, Baby, Perk, Nate,Semih and Dwest who can contribute. Lakers have collectively aged. they have Shannon Brown and Steve Blake who are under 30. who else they have got? Fisher, Odom,Gasol, and Artest are all old over 30.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lakerman17. Show Lakerman17's posts

I'll say this Fram...they said similar things to yourself about Shaq when he was in Orlando and we know where he ended up. It's no secret the Lakers covet big centers especially good ones. If DH leaves Orlando, expect lightning to strike the same place twice.

Sections
Shortcuts