Celtics close to signing Shaq

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: Celtics close to signing Shaq

Excellent especially if it's at the wink/wink min. Get ready LA, all the GreenKillers are goint to have a collective bowel movement.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Let's seal the deal. We can still jettison Sheed for someone.

If Ainge can pull two moves off like this, he's the man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Yes!  Now we need a quality backup 3.  But that can wait until the trade deadline.  Barring injuries, DA has now put together a roster that can match up with any team.  Great work!  Time ot get excited about 2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stiorevo. Show stiorevo's posts

Yes, hopefully it will go through.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Jermane O'Neal picked Boston over Dallas for the chance to start. He'll probably sulk now.

If this were 2004, I'd be excited.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DwightPetrocelli. Show DwightPetrocelli's posts

I'm not gonna lie I'd like to see Jermaine and Shaquille both on this roster.  I think it makes for a very interesting playoff run in 2011.  I like what we've done so far this off season and I think one more banner for this squad is a real possibility.  I'm not sold yet on what the little three in Miami can actually do.  Too many chefs spoil the pudding. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Sulk for 18 minutes he can't play?  Try another dipstick.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

the front line of kevin garnett, shaq, jermaine o'neil, perkins and big baby will give fits to every team in the NBA.  our frontline maybe old, but will they be tough or what?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shamrock1000. Show shamrock1000's posts

Couple of questions - Is it really guaranteed Perk gets his starting job back?? I'm not so sure - its not obvious to me that Perk is better than Shaq or JO.  If he doesn't, then is it possible Ainge would trade him or BBD?? It's getting pretty crowded at the 4/5, and a package including either Perk or BBD plus Sheed's contract could bring us back a pretty damn good wing. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Reports: Shaquille O'Neal, Celts close

By Chris Forsberg
    ESPNBoston.com
    Archive

Free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal said Tuesday that he hopes to make a decision about his future soon and multiple reports indicate the Boston Celtics are "close" to signing the four-time NBA champion.

Both NBA.com and Comcast SportsNet New England reported Tuesday the Celtics are close to inking O'Neal.

"For me, it's been a real thinking process," O'Neal told the Associated Press on Tuesday from Orlando, where he was promoting his television series, "Shaq Vs.," with teen pop star Justin Bieber. "I came into the league very graciously and want to go out very graciously. My main thought was I would like to play for a winning franchise, somebody that's used to winning, somebody that keeps winning. Hopefully, I'll make my decision here in the next one or two days."

O'Neal
    O'Neal

The Celtics can offer only the veteran minimum salary ($1.35 million for a veteran of 10-plus NBA seasons), but Cleveland could facilitate a sign-and-trade with Boston if the 38-year-old center requires more money. O'Neal has made nearly $291 million in basketball contracts alone, including $20 million with the Cavaliers last season.

O'Neal has found a quiet market for his services this offseason, which led some to speculate he might find a better payday overseas. But O'Neal indicated Tuesday that he plans to stay on this side of the Atlantic.

"I know I will play in the NBA next season," said O'Neal. "International? No. The good thing about me and my career is I came in, did it my way, did more than expected. For every athlete or every great person, there's a time when it has to end. When and if it ever ends it will be very graciously.

"We're going to have a big party. We're going to have a ceremony and the next thing I'll be waiting for is the entrance into the place where your name will never be forgotten."

The Celtics will start the season without center Kendrick Perkins, who underwent knee surgery last month and is expected to be sidelined into February. Boston utilized the mid-level exception to sign free-agent Jermaine O'Neal last month, but Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge often noted the team remained in the market for another impact big man.

No player on the free-agent market probably offers more potential impact than Shaq, who has averaged 24.1 points and 11 rebounds per game over 18 NBA seasons.

O'Neal appeared on ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live" on Monday and said he'd like to play two more seasons in the NBA and that the Celtics would potentially be a good fit for him.

O'Neal stressed to Kimmel that he's on a "730-day program," suggesting he wants to play two more years until he reaches 40. When Kimmel suggested he couldn't picture O'Neal in a Boston uniform, O'Neal responded, "The Celtics would be a good program."

Pressed if he would feel weird putting on a Celtics jersey after spending time with the Lakers, O'Neal simply shook his head and said, "No."

The Celtics have aimed to sign free agents to short-term deals with an eye toward a massive roster turnover following the 2011-12 season. Even by signing O'Neal to a two-year deal, the team would not be jeopardizing its future plan.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

Yes we need some big bodys..good move he will give some good minutes off the bench..he will look strange in green at first..Sorry Big Baby you are not Shrek anymore!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from laker4eva. Show laker4eva's posts

Sign for the devil Shaq....then you don't get no#34 retired at Staples.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

We need all the rebounding help we can get. Even if he is old he can still box out and move people.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Sounds like the only thing left is to do is to dot the T's and cross the i's and this thing is done.

ESPN has it now, and he spoke of TV last night that "Boston is a good program." whatever that means, andthat he will have no problem wearing Celtic green.

Look for a sign & trade to happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5434969

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics close to signing Shaq:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like the only thing left is to do is to dot the T's and cross the i's and this thing is done. ESPN has it now, and he spoke of TV last night that "Boston is a good program." whatever that means, andthat he will have no problem wearing Celtic green. Look for a sign & trade to happen. http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5434969
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

Looks like the people have spoken!! Danny must have seen your poll!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]Excellent especially if it's at the wink/wink min. Get ready LA, all the GreenKillers are goint to have a collective bowel movement.
    Posted by croc[/QUOTE]

Please! Shaq's best days are BEHIND him. In the games that Bynum has played Shaq, he's more than held his own and neutralized the Old Leprechaun. Bynum continues to improve and if strengthens his legs more (as has been reported) he'll make Shaq and the Miami look bad. Bring him on. The Lakers are on a mission to get Phil has 4th 3-peat. That's a feat that will never be challenged...and something Auerbach never did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics close to signing Shaq : Please! Shaq's best days are BEHIND him. In the games that Bynum has played Shaq, he's more than held his own and neutralized the Old Leprechaun. Bynum continues to improve and if strengthens his legs more (as has been reported) he'll make Shaq and the Miami look bad. Bring him on. The Lakers are on a mission to get Phil has 4th 3-peat. That's a feat that will never be challenged...and something Auerbach never did.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to see Phil win a championship on a average team. So far he has won with the likes of Jordan, Kobe, and Shaq. I bet he will not win one with a average team

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Jermane O'Neal picked Boston over Dallas for the chance to start. He'll probably sulk now."

I doubt that - I suspect J O'Neal is glad he won't have to bang with big dudes. I suspect they might even rotate starts based on matchups. If we can get both O'Neals that definitely helps our front line versatility, and if/when Perk returns, would actually give us one of the best front courts in the Eastern conference as long as peeps stay healthy. Since front court is a weakness for the Heat and to some extent the Bulls this is not a bad thing at all...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Compared to Ratliff, Shaq is in his prime.  The C's bench, which wasn't bad, has taken a twist upwards - with the chips for more additions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JuanKarlos. Show JuanKarlos's posts

I will take anything that will get in the way of that narcissitic, "I'm bigger than the NBA" b*tch Princess James.

Here's hoping there's a good locker room grudge from the Cav's past season, which Shaq takes out on the prissy princess '89 Pistons or '95 Knicks stylez.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics close to signing Shaq : Please! Shaq's best days are BEHIND him. In the games that Bynum has played Shaq, he's more than held his own and neutralized the Old Leprechaun. Bynum continues to improve and if strengthens his legs more (as has been reported) he'll make Shaq and the Miami look bad. Bring him on. The Lakers are on a mission to get Phil has 4th 3-peat. That's a feat that will never be challenged...and something Auerbach never did.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Please!  We know we are not getting Shaq.  We are getting the best FA big man still available.  Shaq was last seen playing for MIA.  And  no one cares about Bynum or Phil here - have a nice day!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Well, at least Shaq is better than Kwame Brown.  But I would have preferred a younger "building block" player like Louis Amundsen.  I don't think Shaq has that much left, and the Celtics are rapidly becoming the NBA's designated assisted living facility.

Oh well, I cheered for Michael Olowokandi.  I suppose I can cheer for Shaq.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from toineson. Show toineson's posts

[QUOTE]I will take anything that will get in the way of that narcissitic, "I'm bigger than the NBA" b*tch Princess James. Here's hoping there's a good locker room grudge from the Cav's past season, which Shaq takes out on the prissy princess '89 Pistons or '95 Knicks stylez.
    Posted by JuanKarlos[/QUOTE]

LOL hear hear!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from KB24RULZ. Show KB24RULZ's posts

Shaq-sign with the devil and forget your #34 ever getting retired. Besides, 4 titles is a testament to how good you were. More than pierce,kg and ray put together.