Celtics DENY Clippers permission to talk to Rivers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Celtics DENY Clippers permission to talk to Rivers

Ainge is saying how bad do you want him...pony up!

Good strategy!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Celtics DENY Clippers permission to talk to Rivers

I hope you are right.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Why would Celtics management deny the Clippers request to talk to Doc?  The only reason would be if Doc told Danny that he is definitely coming back no matter what.

You would think Danny has talked in depth with Doc about his plans and if Doc expressed the slightest interest in moving on, Danny would accommodate that if a team called asking to talk with Doc.  We're not talking about the Bobcats or Pistons requesting permission to talk to Doc.

If Doc told Danny that he just wasn't sure, why would Danny not allow Doc to seek opportunities elsewhere?  Doc's earned it.  I cannot imagine Danny "forcing" Doc to honor his contract if he wanted to coach in the NBA.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

Why would Celtics management deny the Clippers request to talk to Doc?  The only reason would be if Doc told Danny that he is definitely coming back no matter what.

You would think Danny has talked in depth with Doc about his plans and if Doc expressed the slightest interest in moving on, Danny would accommodate that if a team called asking to talk with Doc.  We're not talking about the Bobcats or Pistons requesting permission to talk to Doc.

If Doc told Danny that he just wasn't sure, why would Danny not allow Doc to seek opportunities elsewhere?  Doc's earned it.  I cannot imagine Danny "forcing" Doc to honor his contract if he wanted to coach in the NBA.

+1

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Makes some sense, BUT then why all the uncertainty and mixed signals if Doc has told Danny he's "definitely coming back"?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

The first thing you do when you know their is mutual interest especially if there are 3 years left on his deal, you deny it with the hopes that they really really want him and will pony up a pick for him. I think Doc is playing along because he already knows the Clippers really want him. Why just give Doc away? He's a chip in Ainge's pocket that can help in the rebuild. Ainge wants to know if they will give up compensation and if they're willing too and come to an agreement, then Ainge will give the go ahead for them to talk and get a contract in place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I find myself wondering if the KG, PP, & Doc to to the Clips idea has some actual substance to it.

Celtic reasons: Rebuilding starts in earnest, Doc doesn't want to be part of full fledged rebuilding effort.  PP is from LA, KG lives in Malibu, C's get draft picks and young players.

Clipper reasons:  CP gets vet players and coach he likes.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

yeah.  well, don't play too hard to get.  i can't believe that the clappers really want doc to begin with.  what with all the underachieving big men they have (flake and neanderthal, who fold like a cheap tent every year for a tidy first ROUND exit) and how WELL doc has done connecting to YOUNG BIGS on the celts.....  kind of risky proposition for the clips.

PLEASE TAKE DOC AWAY

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to breaktime's comment:

[QUOTE]

I find myself wondering if the KG, PP, & Doc to to the Clips idea has some actual substance to it.

Celtic reasons: Rebuilding starts in earnest, Doc doesn't want to be part of full fledged rebuilding effort.  PP is from LA, KG lives in Malibu, C's get draft picks and young players.

What does that say about the city of Boston?

Remember in 2011, after the lockout, when CP3 declined to go to Boston?

A deal involving Rondo, Jeff Green, and I think two 1st round picks for CP3 was already in the works. But CP3 didn't want to come to Boston.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe CP3 is allergic to shellfish?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

The Clippers still have to keep Chris Paul.  Nobody knows how mad he is about being blamed for the firing of Del Negro

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

[QUOTE]

What does that say about the city of Boston?

[/QUOTE]

Nothing.....except: Chris Paul was born in NC, went to school at Wake (near home), played in NO (driving distance from home) and now in LA - Southern CA.  The locations are all in the South and/or warm.  People from the South, generally, never or rarely want to go north; they have an unnatural fear of cold.  I lived in Louisiana for 6 years and hearing people talk about what they call the "frozen north" bordered on agoraphobia or fear of leaving familiar surroundings and other social phobias like fear of crowded places (large cities? LA doesn't count because few people jam the streets with foot traffic).  I'm not joking. I met many people who have lived their entire lives never leaving the state.  The South is not anything like the North or Northeast. I wouldn't expect Paul to go to Brooklyn or any other team in the North. People have broken away, but given his pattern, I would doubt he'd change.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to painter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Nothing.....except: Chris Paul was born in NC, went to school at Wake (near home), played in NO (driving distance from home) and now in LA - Southern CA.  The locations are all in the South and/or warm.  People from the South, generally, never or rarely want to go north; they have an unnatural fear of cold.  

Having lived down  south all my life, I have an unnatural fear of shoes.

As cold as it gets in Beanntown, could you still go bare foot?

Pud

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias's comment:
    [QUOTE] 

The first thing you do when you know their is mutual interest especially if there are 3 years left on his deal, you deny it with the hopes that they really really want him and will pony up a pick for him. I think Doc is playing along because he already knows the Clippers really want him. Why just give Doc away? He's a chip in Ainge's pocket that can help in the rebuild. Ainge wants to know if they will give up compensation and if they're willing too and come to an agreement, then Ainge will give the go ahead for them to talk and get a contract in place.

The Celtics would not be "giving Doc away".  Seems to me that the first step is to allow the Clippers to "talk" to Doc.  The Celtics cannot demand recompense before they even allow the Clips to "talk" to Doc.  Or can they?

Couldn't the Celtics tell the Clippers that you are free to contact Doc but if you reach an agreement, the Celtics will want this year's 1st round pick from the Clips.  They can do that so why outright deny that contact.

Honestly, I think this will happen next week because nobody wants to take attention away from a competitive NBA Finals.  The Finals will be over next Thursday so you can bet after that, a lot will pick up and things will progress.  But right now, there just is no need to overshadow the games.

I think Doc and probaby KG ends up in LA with PP being bought out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Good point Petey. I think Ainge deny's it to see who else comes calling. He knows Philly, Memphis, Denver and the Clippers don't have coaches so he could be waiting. Hey Doc signed a 5 year deal and he's already looking into bolting in year 2. Doc knew the run would last 2 years so with that Ainge holds all the cards. Doc will get to coach where he wants but Ainge has a responsibility to do his due dilligence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

BirdLewsBias, you bring up something with your post.  What IS Ainge's responsibility?  Celtics or Doc, KG, PP?  But first, if Ainge permitted teams to contact Doc, we'd sure find out sooner rather than later just who would come calling and with what to offer.  Teams would be lining up to speak to Doc.

Is Ainge's responsibility to allow the worst team in the league looking for a head coach to contact Doc (when he knows that's not what Doc wants) which could result in the Celtics getting a possible lottery pick OR is it to deny a team that really wants Doc, like the Clips, who might afford us a late 1st round pick?

Is Ainge's responsiblity to consider that Doc, if he wants to move on, wants to go to a team "primed" to contend for the title, like the Clips or Memphis, and thus should allow Doc that opportunity?

CAN DOC JUST STEP DOWN AND SUBSEQUENTLY SIGN WITH THE CLIPS with the Celtics getting no recompense?  Or, because he's under contract with the Celtics, the Celtics have his "coaching rights" and could prohibit him from coaching anywhere else if he leaves the Celtics?  How does that go?  Where is Fierce when you need him?

It appears that the groundwork (if you believe the reports) has been laid and this mega-deal (including players, picks and a coach), if done right, could significantly position both teams for what they want short-term (Clips) and long-term (Celtics) so let's start putting it together.  The reconstruction of the Celtics is inevitable so let's get it under way while we have a decent possible offer to consider (again if you believe reports).

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Fuel for the fire

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9384172/doc-rivers-los-angeles-clippers-mutual-interest-sources-say

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, thanks.  So there really is NO REASON why the Celtics would prohibit Doc from coaching elsewhere if he really wanted, right.  They'd simply insist on a draft pick or two as compensation.

Doc has earned that right and I'm pretty sure Danny agrees.  There is no need to create a contentious situation by denying teams interested in Doc, all while refusing to release Doc from the remaining 3 years of his contract.

June 21 - NBA offseason begins (NBA Finals game 7 is on Thursday, June 20).  Can trades be made then?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

love the ESPN article. sounds a lot like what i was saying yesterday. and gives credibility to what stephen a. has been saying. at this point, it sounds like it's just a matter of how much can we get out of LA for a doc, KG, PP package. maybe we're denying teams the right to talk to doc b/c LA is the already-known destination and LA doesn't want doc talking to other teams.

of course, if we're looking for who can give us the most for doc, maybe open bidding is better for the celts. UNLESS doc has already told DA that he wants to go to LA, then danny's friendship with doc is coming into play.

interesting to say the least. should be a fun summer!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

where are they talking about joining up?

Sections
Shortcuts