Celtics Draft Pick Analysis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Celtics Draft Pick Analysis

There will likely be 10 centers taken in the first round.  YS Mock summarized below.  Every mock has the Cs taking one of them, but we need a starting C and Noel is the only day one starter and will be taken first by Orlando.  Mock has us picking Gonzoga C Olynyk at #16.  A skilled offensive player but cannot block the middle, rebound, nor play D very well.  We would still need to find a starting C. Other than trading Rondo to get Noel,  Len (8) and Dieng (12) are athletic great potential talents who play effective D, but are project requiring development.  I'm not a fan of Zeller nor Plumlee either.

So I don't see us selecting a C in the draft.  

I would target CJ McCollum SG from Lehigh (projected at 9) who has a very good shot, good defensively and good all around game with potential PG skills. We could then move Bradley in a pakcage (or Rondo?) for a starting C.   Or preferably pick RudyGobert, 7'2" PF age 19 (projected at 15) with a great shot, who is also a likely to get big minutes.  Both offer much needed offensive production.     

1. Orlando – Nerlens Noel C Kentucky  -  The consensus first pick in the draft, but coming off an ACL tear. The Magic are stacked with competent big men and need to work on finding an eventual replacement for Nelson. 

8. Washington – Alex Len C Maryland  -  Wizards are set at the guard spots with Wall and Beal. (but have needs at both forward spots). A big, athletic two-way center.

10. Portland – Cody Zeller F/C Indiana -  Zeller’s probably going to be a better NBA player than what he showed in the tourney, and his ability to run the floor will work in his favor.   

11. Philadelphia – Mason Plumlee C Duke  -  Bynum didn’t work out and Hawes may not be the long-term answer. His offensive game is developing and he’s a solid defensively with some athleticism.

12. Oklahoma City (via Toronto) – Gorgui Dieng C Louisville  -  OKC Could use an alternative/replacement for Perkins. Dieng is a good defender and offensively he can knock down mid-range jumpers.

16. Boston – Kelly Olynyk C Gonzaga  -  Olynyk appears to be well suited for the half-court offense and averaged nearly 18 PPG and 7.3 RPG last season, his Jr. year.  7’0” 240  (needs addl bulk), age 22.  Good offensively with lots of range.   Downside: not a very good rebounder, not very effective defensively.  lots of turnovers and fouls

17. Atlanta – Steven Adams C Pittsburgh  -  The Hawks need a big (and SG). Adams is project with good upside potential.  7’0”,  athletic and can run the floor.  Needs to develop an inside game.

23. Indiana – Jeff Withey C Kansas State  -  Withey is athlete (former volleyball player). Strength is a concern and needs bulk. A good shot blocker and skilled down low.  Solid backup for Roy Hibbert.

26. Minnesota (via Memphis) – Lucas Nogueira C Brazil  -  A freakish athlete with raw offensive skills. Nikola Pekovic has foot problems that may limit his career.  The Wolves also need wings.

27. Denver (via Memphis) – Mouhammadou Jaiteh C Boulogne  -  Denver needs to supplement Kosta Koufos and JaVale McGee. (also need a SG).  Jaiteh is only 18 years old but is 6’11” and strong. He’s raw offensively and will be a project.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Celtics Draft Pick Analysis

I hope that Danny Ainge selects the best player available. He messed up last time by drafting for need and ended up with Fab Melo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

That's a good policy as a general rule, especially if you have some depth, but we don't so we don't need and shouldn't draft a PG or SF regardless of available talent at those positions, unless there are already plans in place to trade Rondo or Green.  

We have an immediate need for starters or big minuetes at SG (Bradley does not provide consistent enough scoring productivity, Lee is a disappointment and Terry is old) PF (Sully injury insurance, size and Garnett age) and Center (because we don't have one). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Can we wait to see if Garnett and Pierce will be back next season first?

I mean, if KG returns, does anyone realy wnat our other options at Center next season to be Melo and one of the mid-round rookies?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

This article talks about the modern/future big man....

Sounds Like KG is the perfect model....lets hope we get someone with these attribute in this draft...

He can shoot, pass, dribble, create and defend. He can play inside and outside, allowing teams to spread the floor and create space for shooters – the de facto base offense for many NBA teams.

The modern big man is more versatile, and the international influence is widespread and growing.

I like – Kelly Olynyk C Gonzaga  ,– Gorgui Dieng C Louisville  as they are in our draft range..

Olynynyk is already ready for NBA..Dieng is still developing his offense...take the nba ready...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/05/02/nba-big-men-international-influence-marc-gasol-omer-asik-andrew-bogut-serge-ibaka/2130453/ 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bird-to-DJ. Show Bird-to-DJ's posts

Big picture out 2-4 years, we will need a starting C, starting 2G, quality back-up PG, and depth at the 4, if not a starting 4 (Sully is 6'7/6'8 - he may be a starting PF on a chapionship team or he may be a role player on a champioship team -- assuming we are in the hunt 3-4 years from now).  Assuming no trades (the only way to realistically project)... we have Green, AB, Sully, and Rondo as legit top-8 players 3-4 years from now.  With that many long-term needs, that tells me you draft the best player available regardless of position - or if the best available is a SF and you simply don't want to duplicate that position if we don't buy out PP, then attempt to trade down a few spots and pick up a future 2nd...  It is interesting how mide a variety there currently is for the C's and where specific players will go on all the mock drafts...

For those that say Melo is a wasted pick - let's wait and see.  Also keep in mind the alternatives... In the rest of the first round only two players actually simply played in over 50 games (Jenkins 2G Atlanta and Exeli with GSW... more NBA ready but with a very limited ceiling) and only three that averaged double figure minutes in the games they did play (add in Moultrie in Philly with 47gp).  It is not like there was an obvious pick who showed that teams should not have passed on him...  Two to three years from now, you can make an assessment of Melo and the pick;  aslo Perk yr 1 - 10gp for a whopping total of 35mins; yr 2: 60gp but still only 9mpg.  With Melo, I think we drafted the equivalent of a HS senior in terms of where he was develomentally... He deserves at least the amount of time Perk got...  However, I suspect Perk got very little time from many on the board...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Yeah, but Melo is still developmentally behind the top 4 centers in this draft already.  He lacks footwork, positioning and athleticism.  He look like a poor man's Perkins without the D and agressiveness.  I really don't think he will develop into anything more than a 3rd string journeyman center in this league.  Just doesn't have the abiity to build on IMO.  I hope I'm wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

I've been checking out alot of highlight/scouting footage on Youtube.com on alot of these guys projected to be picked around 16th. Here's a list of the names I've looked at as far as centers go.

Gobert, Dieng, Plumlee, Steven Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Zeller, Len, Withey, Isaiah Austin (?)

I Know Len and Zeller are projected to be in the top ten, but you never know who's going to rise and fall around this stage in the draft.

Let me just start by saying I don't like Olynyk even though he's probably the closest to being "NBA ready". I like defensive centers, and he is very far from. I put a (?) by Austin cause i'm not seeing him in any mock drafts anymore. Adams is too raw for me (though reported to have a lot of upside) and Plumlee would make a better PF then a center I think, though I love Mason's energy and athleticism. I guess if we went with either Gobert, Dieng, or Withey, I wouldn't be too upset. Gobert has freakish length and is a solid athlete. 7'1 w/ a 7'9 wingspan! How many times have we said we'ld love to stick long, athletic types on the court with Rondo? Gobert is that, plus he's only 19! BUT, this guy is a major stringbean. I'm 5'9, and I think I could knock this guy out of the way for a rebound.  Dieng is 6'11 and is a very good shot blocker and rebounder. On top of that, he played with a winning team in college (something I think gets overlooked alot). Winning is very addictive. The reason I like Withey is he's an ELITE shot blocker who can also rebound as well. Some say he's also NBA ready. Just not as a starter. Nor will he ever be a starter according to many analysts. Watching him move around on the court reminds me alittle of Kevin McHale. Though, he doesn't have McHale's game obviously. He's 23 years old with NO ceiling.

A few other names I've seen mentioned in mock drafts is Archie Goodwin (2 guard-Kentucky), Dennis Schroeder (point guard-Germany), and this Giannis Adetokoubo (small forward-Greece). All three have a reported "HUGE ceiling". I like all three, but they are all at least 2 years away from helping a team. Especially Goodwin. Horrid shooter, but excellent dribble drives. Can go Left or right, equally as good. finishing needs work as well. Schroeder is reported as having great speed with a ......descent shot. Only 19 he's built short with nice wingspan. Like Rondo.

Anyway... that's what I've got so far. Really looking forward to predraft workout camp. That's when you start getting a real feel for who's rising and sliding in the draft.

Just watched CJ McCollum's scouting video. I don't like him as a PG over a SG. Combo guard? 6'3 SG who isn't very athletic? Has a good head for the game and some nice moves though. And then there's that whole foot injury thing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Melo's a bust.  I never wanted them to draft him.  He's a bust.  Maybe bust isn't the right term because I don't believe he ever really had any potential.  If they draft a center, I will scream.  There is not going to be any center there who will be able to cut it at the NBA level.  I would rather see them gamble on signing Oden - I know he is not going to be a full time player....or maybe even play, but if the money and years are right, I would take that gamble.  I want the Celtics to be god awful next year, so we can start the rebuilding process. 

They should draft the best player available.  You should never draft out of need.  When you draft out of need, most of the time you end up with a player who neither fills the need or can play so you walk away with nothing.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Oden's career is over.  His knees are shot.  Like Brandon Roy, no star potential wants to admit they're done at such an early age... and then there's that one last paycheck thing.   

The Celtics will need to get a known competent starter at Center as their first priority.  It will have to come va trade vs FA and it will require outgoing talent from the existing squad which will include one or more of the following:  Rondo, Bradley, Sully, Pierce or Green.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

That's a good policy as a general rule, especially if you have some depth, but we don't so we don't need and shouldn't draft a PG or SF regardless of available talent at those positions, unless there are already plans in place to trade Rondo or Green.  

We have an immediate need for starters or big minuetes at SG (Bradley does not provide consistent enough scoring productivity, Lee is a disappointment and Terry is old) PF (Sully injury insurance, size and Garnett age) and Center (because we don't have one). 

+1

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to DrBoogiebone's comment:

I've been checking out alot of highlight/scouting footage on Youtube.com on alot of these guys projected to be picked around 16th. Here's a list of the names I've looked at as far as centers go.

Gobert, Dieng, Plumlee, Steven Adams, Kelly Olynyk, Zeller, Len, Withey, Isaiah Austin (?)

I Know Len and Zeller are projected to be in the top ten, but you never know who's going to rise and fall around this stage in the draft.

Let me just start by saying I don't like Olynyk even though he's probably the closest to being "NBA ready". I like defensive centers, and he is very far from. I put a (?) by Austin cause i'm not seeing him in any mock drafts anymore. Adams is too raw for me (though reported to have a lot of upside) and Plumlee would make a better PF then a center I think, though I love Mason's energy and athleticism. I guess if we went with either Gobert, Dieng, or Withey, I wouldn't be too upset. Gobert has freakish length and is a solid athlete. 7'1 w/ a 7'9 wingspan! How many times have we said we'ld love to stick long, athletic types on the court with Rondo? Gobert is that, plus he's only 19! BUT, this guy is a major stringbean. I'm 5'9, and I think I could knock this guy out of the way for a rebound.  Dieng is 6'11 and is a very good shot blocker and rebounder. On top of that, he played with a winning team in college (something I think gets overlooked alot). Winning is very addictive. The reason I like Withey is he's an ELITE shot blocker who can also rebound as well. Some say he's also NBA ready. Just not as a starter. Nor will he ever be a starter according to many analysts. Watching him move around on the court reminds me alittle of Kevin McHale. Though, he doesn't have McHale's game obviously. He's 23 years old with NO ceiling.

A few other names I've seen mentioned in mock drafts is Archie Goodwin (2 guard-Kentucky), Dennis Schroeder (point guard-Germany), and this Giannis Adetokoubo (small forward-Greece). All three have a reported "HUGE ceiling". I like all three, but they are all at least 2 years away from helping a team. Especially Goodwin. Horrid shooter, but excellent dribble drives. Can go Left or right, equally as good. finishing needs work as well. Schroeder is reported as having great speed with a ......descent shot. Only 19 he's built short with nice wingspan. Like Rondo.

Anyway... that's what I've got so far. Really looking forward to predraft workout camp. That's when you start getting a real feel for who's rising and sliding in the draft.

Just watched CJ McCollum's scouting video. I don't like him as a PG over a SG. Combo guard? 6'3 SG who isn't very athletic? Has a good head for the game and some nice moves though. And then there's that whole foot injury thing.

I too have been watching videos and reading scouting reports and have decided that this is just an awful draft year. Goodwin - a shooting guard that can't shoot? Schroeder appewars to be more than a few inches shorter than listed and doesn't distribute well. Schroeder's "huge ceiling"just means the ceiling looks higher to him because he's farther away from it.  The largest group of "most usable" players are those already in supply - SF and PF and the Celtics don't have that need.  Package a player or two and trade this year's pick and a conditional for the next two years.  How many people have seen Melo play in person in the last two months?  We simply don't know if he's a bust; we only know that he hasn't contributed this year.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

The Melo pick was a disaster.  Almost hard to believe Ainge could take a chance on someone so ill equipped.  A killer when you look at the needs we have.  Melo will never be anything in the NBA.   If I am wrong I would love to be called a fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Melo's a bust.  I never wanted them to draft him.  He's a bust.  Maybe bust isn't the right term because I don't believe he ever really had any potential.  If they draft a center, I will scream.  There is not going to be any center there who will be able to cut it at the NBA level.  I would rather see them gamble on signing Oden - I know he is not going to be a full time player....or maybe even play, but if the money and years are right, I would take that gamble.  I want the Celtics to be god awful next year, so we can start the rebuilding process. 

They should draft the best player available.  You should never draft out of need.  When you draft out of need, most of the time you end up with a player who neither fills the need or can play so you walk away with nothing.   

this is the exact same wayi feel...when we drafted melo...i said we just threw away the pick....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

In response to painter's comment:

I too have been watching videos and reading scouting reports and have decided that this is just an awful draft year. Goodwin - a shooting guard that can't shoot? Schroeder appewars to be more than a few inches shorter than listed and doesn't distribute well. Schroeder's "huge ceiling"just means the ceiling looks higher to him because he's farther away from it.  The largest group of "most usable" players are those already in supply - SF and PF and the Celtics don't have that need.  Package a player or two and trade this year's pick and a conditional for the next two years.  How many people have seen Melo play in person in the last two months?  We simply don't know if he's a bust; we only know that he hasn't contributed thisyear.  

I'ld rather them try to move this years pick for something else as well. And not any package deal to move up in the draft. I dont think any of them (maybe 1,2, or 3 tops) can help a team next year. But as always. You can never be 100% sure.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

this is the exact same wayi feel...when we drafted melo...i said we just threw away the pick....

In my mind, Fab Melo will be a bust if he is just not bright at all or if he has a terrible attitude or if he is just not tough enough to make it in NBA.  I can't say much about being dumb.  But I have to believe that the Celts would have explored that.  Dany did pass on DeAndre Jordan, a super athletic perceived talent but a dumb player.  Regarding attitude, yes, there were some rumblings about that.  But there were rumblings about Perk's attitude as well.  It is one thing to have a bad attitude in college.  NBA changes things once you start getting paid.  Finally, the last one is where many players fail.  JJJ comes to mind.

I am not ready to write off Fab.  Doc will need to help him grow up.  He is fantastic at it.  Look at what he has done with Green.  It is possible that Fab will crack the rotation this coming year.  How much worse can he be as compared to Wilcox?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

Good stuff.

I like Alex Len,  but he ain't falling down to #16.   Kelly Olynyk is the only other big I am familiar with,  and he can drop as far as #16.  Good shooter,  horrid defensively...  but has potential to be a Nowitski type F/C,  in a perfect world

What is it with these 7 footers that want to be shooting guards?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I don't think we can say Melo is a bust yet.  From the outset, DA said that he needs to learn the NBA game, and he does.  He's a big, athletic body, he can block shots and can probably be a passable rebounder at the 5 in the NBA.  Give him some time to learn the pro game and to get in better shape.  Not saying Melo's an all-star in waiting, but did anyone think Perk would turn into a legit NBA 5 at first?  I would say that Melo has more raw skills than Perk ever had, and if he has 1/2 of Perk's work ethic then maybe we have something worth developing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

I didn't think it was a good idea to draft Melo, I thought that if we were going to hang onto KG & PP, it was best to get someone who could help immediately (like Sully).  However, since Ainge picked Melo and since he's such an obvious project, giving him 3 yrs to shape up seems reasonable.

Not looking forward to next season, unless it's to see how bad a team we could be sans PP & KG.  More L's than W's and lotto picks the next 2 yrs is the C's best chance to get back in the hunt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think DA needs to collect assets again.  Keeping KG and PP here isn't doing anything but prolonging the time needed for a rebuild.  I'd rather they trade KG/PP and get back whatever they can in players and picks and take a chance at finding some talent and/or stockpiling assets to be used in a trade.  I love KG and PP as players, but DA needs to cut bait and maybe give those guys one more shot at a title. 

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts