There will likely be 10 centers taken in the first round. YS Mock summarized below. Every mock has the Cs taking one of them, but we need a starting C and Noel is the only day one starter and will be taken first by Orlando. Mock has us picking Gonzoga C Olynyk at #16. A skilled offensive player but cannot block the middle, rebound, nor play D very well. We would still need to find a starting C. Other than trading Rondo to get Noel, Len (8) and Dieng (12) are athletic great potential talents who play effective D, but are project requiring development. I'm not a fan of Zeller nor Plumlee either.
So I don't see us selecting a C in the draft.
I would target CJ McCollum SG from Lehigh (projected at 9) who has a very good shot, good defensively and good all around game with potential PG skills. We could then move Bradley in a pakcage (or Rondo?) for a starting C. Or preferably pick RudyGobert, 7'2" PF age 19 (projected at 15) with a great shot, who is also a likely to get big minutes. Both offer much needed offensive production.
1. Orlando – Nerlens Noel C Kentucky - The consensus first pick in the draft, but coming off an ACL tear. The Magic are stacked with competent big men and need to work on finding an eventual replacement for Nelson.
8. Washington – Alex Len C Maryland - Wizards are set at the guard spots with Wall and Beal. (but have needs at both forward spots). A big, athletic two-way center.
10. Portland – Cody Zeller F/C Indiana - Zeller’s probably going to be a better NBA player than what he showed in the tourney, and his ability to run the floor will work in his favor.
11. Philadelphia – Mason Plumlee C Duke - Bynum didn’t work out and Hawes may not be the long-term answer. His offensive game is developing and he’s a solid defensively with some athleticism.
16. Boston – Kelly Olynyk C Gonzaga - Olynyk appears to be well suited for the half-court offense and averaged nearly 18 PPG and 7.3 RPG last season, his Jr. year. 7’0” 240 (needs addl bulk), age 22. Good offensively with lots of range. Downside: not a very good rebounder, not very effective defensively. lots of turnovers and fouls
17. Atlanta – Steven Adams C Pittsburgh - The Hawks need a big (and SG). Adams is project with good upside potential. 7’0”, athletic and can run the floor. Needs to develop an inside game.
23. Indiana – Jeff Withey C Kansas State - Withey is athlete (former volleyball player). Strength is a concern and needs bulk. A good shot blocker and skilled down low. Solid backup for Roy Hibbert.
26. Minnesota (via Memphis) – Lucas Nogueira C Brazil - A freakish athlete with raw offensive skills. Nikola Pekovic has foot problems that may limit his career. The Wolves also need wings.
27. Denver (via Memphis) – Mouhammadou Jaiteh C Boulogne - Denver needs to supplement Kosta Koufos and JaVale McGee. (also need a SG). Jaiteh is only 18 years old but is 6’11” and strong. He’s raw offensively and will be a project.