Celtics emerge among frontrunners in Houston Rockets' Omer Asik sweepstakes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Celtics emerge among frontrunners in Houston Rockets' Omer Asik sweepstakes

Boston Celtics trade rumors 2013: Celtics emerge among frontrunners in Houston Rockets' Omer Asik sweepstakes  

BRANDON_BASS_TIMBERWOLVES_12-16.JPG Brandon Bass could be used as trade bait to acquire Rockets center Omer Asik.  (AP photo) Print Jay King, MassLive.comBy  Jay King, MassLive.com 
    Follow on Twitter 
    on December 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM, updated  December 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM       Email   More Boston Celtics

With the Houston Rockets now one day from their self-imposed deadline to trade center Omer Asik, the Boston Celtics continue to sound like a possible landing spot.

According to multiple reports, the Celtics have positioned themselves as frontrunners for the elite defender and rebounder. The Rockets are widely expected to move Asik by Thursday because it serves as the final day for a team to acquire players eligible for inclusion in a package deal at the February trade deadline.

ESPN's Marc Stein and Brian Windhorstreported early Wednesday that the Celtics are "increasingly active in the Asik talks" and have emerged as the "strongest rivals" to the Philadelphia 76ers in trade discussions. Stein and Windhorst mentioned both Jeff Green and Brandon Bass as possible bait (one or the other), and the Celtics possess a wealth of first-round picks. Houston is likely to want at least one first-rounder in the deal, according to ESPN. For more specifics, read the report.

Other outlets have called Green's inclusion in any Asik deal unlikely, but Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski also mentioned both Green and Bass as trade candidates. According to Wojnarowski, the Celtics are frontrunners for Asik along with Philadelphia, Cleveland, Atlanta and an unspecified "wildcard."

With the exception of the "wildcard," Stein and Windhorst reported the same four teams as those involved in discussions. The ESPN duo indicated the Hawks are "lukewarm" on Asik and the Cavaliers are more likely to facilitate a three-way trade than acquire Asik themselves.

According to the Boston Herald's Steve Bulpett, the Celtics have had some talks about Asik but would likely need the involvement of a third team because the Rockets don't appear to like what the Celtics would offer.

Asik has proven himself as one of the best rebounders and rim protectors in the NBA, but has become expendable with Dwight Howard in Houston and has reportedly requested a trade.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Celtics emerge among frontrunners in Houston Rockets' Omer Asik sweepstakes

If the Cs trade for Asik - I speculate there will be other trades to follow!

In other words - the current team is good - but DA does not see a contender in any size, shape, or form.

The end goal is banner 18 - not backing into the playoffs as an 7th or 8th seed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Bill Simmons @BillSimmons 9h

If I had to bet on an Asik trade: Boston gets him with Philly involved as 3rd team broker. Don't sleep on Boston's 10 mill trade exception.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Not sure how the $10-million trade exception would factor into this trade? It would likely be used to benefit a third team in the deal?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Bass and 2015 or 2016 first round pick.

Asik would make us a better team now and in the future.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:

Bass and 2015 or 2016 first round pick.

Asik would make us a better team now and in the future.

I would do that trade - Bass and 2015 1st round pick acquired from Clips!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In the trade with the Brooklyn Nets, there was one asset obtained that we didn’t get to meet at the press conference on Monday, and it is potentially the most important item we received. The Boston Celtics, in addition to Kris Humphries, Gerald Wallace, Keith Bogans, and MarShon Brooks, received a $10.3 million trade exception.

Now unless you’re a trade enthusiast or really into the salary cap this is probably of little consequence, but don’t be surprised if it is at the center of a big time trade down the line

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Bass works.  The Celtics need to clear up room at PF. I am not sure about a pick though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

A pick (w/Bass) is the cost of doing business.  The Clips won't be a lottery team next year, so if it's used to bring a known quality player now then it's better than a future pick that's later in the draft.  I'd do Bass (+) in a second to get a high grade center.  I would not trade Green for Asik, however, as his star potential as a #2 option is higher, and his playoff performance was something Bass just couldn't give the team.  I like Bass' game - he's a very good mid-range shooter and not afraid to go to the offensive glass.  Not the quickest defender, though he can play "tough" on certain guys because of his strength.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

How could we trade green?  who would start at the 3, wallace? with no backup?  Even in a weird season like this we can't go that route.  Green is a good player, just not as a first option.  Bass and the clippers pick, which is worth very little in my opinion, for asik would be a great trade.  It gives us a legit center, and it gives more playing time to Oly.  A starting 5 of green, asik, sullinger, rondo and bradley with crawford, oly, lee the first three off the bench is a lot more than i would have hoped for at the start of the year...

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

So I cooked up this four team trade idea based on combining every Celtics related rumor just out of fun.  But the result was actually kind of interesting and I personally really like what the Celtics get back…

Any way four teams: BOS, HOU, MIL, SAC

BOS Trades: Rondo to SAC

Bass to MIL

SAC Trades: McLemore, Thompson, McCallum to BOS

Thomas to HOU

HOU Trades: Asik to MIL

MIL Trades:  Sanders to BOS

Ilyasova to HOU

So Celtics then have starting 5 of Crawford, Bradley, Green, Sully, Sanders and McLemore as 6th man.

They also shed like 6 million in Salary.  Thoughts?

Trade Machine: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ohagcmf

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from myurkus. Show myurkus's posts

milwaukee wouldn't do that.  downgrade for them.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulliu. Show paulliu's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to myurkus' comment:

How could we trade green?  who would start at the 3, wallace? with no backup?  Even in a weird season like this we can't go that route.  Green is a good player, just not as a first option.  Bass and the clippers pick, which is worth very little in my opinion, for asik would be a great trade.  It gives us a legit center, and it gives more playing time to Oly.  A starting 5 of green, asik, sullinger, rondo and bradley with crawford, oly, lee the first three off the bench is a lot more than i would have hoped for at the start of the year...

Agree with you.

That's why Asik to Boston will not happen if the Celts would have to give up Jeff Green.

I'd do Bass plus a draft pick for Asik but I'd hate to see Green go unless you want to increase the chances of getting into the lottery.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Please danny, not Green.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Please, no Asik.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to KJandHondo's comment:

So I cooked up this four team trade idea based on combining every Celtics related rumor just out of fun.  But the result was actually kind of interesting and I personally really like what the Celtics get back…

Any way four teams: BOS, HOU, MIL, SAC

BOS Trades: Rondo to SAC

Bass to MIL

SAC Trades: McLemore, Thompson, McCallum to BOS

Thomas to HOU

HOU Trades: Asik to MIL

MIL Trades:  Sanders to BOS

Ilyasova to HOU

So Celtics then have starting 5 of Crawford, Bradley, Green, Sully, Sanders and McLemore as 6th man.

They also shed like 6 million in Salary.  Thoughts?

Trade Machine: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ohagcmf

C's would be short one roster spot ... who you gonna waive?  Maybe you can give Houston Bogans????

I mean Pressy is so cheap you could pretty much trade him to any team to open up a spot.  Like I tried trading him to SAC and it worked so theres multiple options.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

It will NOT be an upgrade if the Celtics trade Jeff Green for Asik.

Bass for Asik might be better than a wash regarding our record going forward as he's taller & apt to pull in more rebounds but he's not a prolific scorer. I wouldn't even give up a draft pick along with Bass, maybe toss in Lee.  Even keeping our team as it is, we could win the division being a .500 team but I think the Nets will come alive and surpass us. What is our objective with Asik, he's not a Love, Hibbert, Cousins etc. that will bring us a championship. He's simply a big man to be played with Faverani & Olynyk. Our team is exciting now and because of Stevens plays like a run and hustle college team. It doesn't seem we are going to tank...I didn't mean do that on purpose...but I don't see us have the worst record so we may not get the best draft pick but getting the #2, 3 & 4 best will help us going forward & maybe there is a 7 footer in the draft that might become a star---dunno ? But, I would not be excited picking up Asik !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Report: HOU may trade Omer Asik by Thursday

The Rockets "remain on course" to trade Omer Asik by Thursday, according to ESPN.com.

The Celtics and 76ers are the two most active teams in the Asik trade talks, but the Cavaliers, Hawks and even the Knicks have also been mentioned. Brandon Bass might be the Rockets' target in a deal with Boston, while Spencer Hawes could be the target in a deal with Philadelphia, and any deal could involve three or more teams. If this ESPN.com report is correct, all of these variables will be sorted out within 48 hours.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

Who Says No?

BOS Acquires: Thompson, McLemore, Knight, Sanders, McCullum

MIL Acquires: Asik, Bass, Thomas

HOU Acquires: Ilyasova, Lee, Pressey

SAC Acquires: Rondo, Bradley, Garcia (from trade exception)

Yes its ridiculous but kinda interesting...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=koo8sby

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Maybe courtney Lee could change his name to Courtney Li, then they wouldn't have to keep playing Jeremy Lin. 

Sections
Shortcuts