Celtics Film Footage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Celtics Film Footage

Thanks to one of our members on this forum, I get ahold of some great film footage on DVD....in viewing the play I was amazed by the action....I watched footage of the '64 Finals vs San Francisco, the '66 and '69 Finals vs Los Angeles, and the '73 Eastern Finals vs New York...I was around to watch all of these games back in the day...but watching over the last few days really brought back memories....the way the two teams raced up and down the court...it was non stop action...and since there were so few dunks, there were plenty of rebounds to be had...but it seemed that everyone out there could shoot from the outside...including "big guys" like Cowens, Reed, and Leroy Ellis....no slow down...no one on one isolations...no camping out at the three point line...I gotta tell you I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I watched the Celts/Raptors last night and I found today's brand of basketball to be bland by comparison...the athletes of today are bigger and better...but as I've said before...the brand of basketball played up until the '90's was much more entertaining...just my opinion...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Re: Celtics Film Footage

Duke You hit it on the head.  Maybe it is because I grew up in the 80s but to me the offences of the majority of teams today is  almost unwatchable.  To me the Lakers triangle was nothing revolutionary, it just emphasised ball and player movement and it as a result, is untouched as far as modern offensive strategies.  Most teams today however use isolation and rarely emphasise movement – and ESPN will make us believe this is because of great defence (which it is not). 

A funny point, I watched the Hawks Blazers game last night which the Hawks won by 3.  I tell you when the Hawks stopped caring about who took the shots and moved the ball quickly to the open player they looked like NBA champions.  Even average players (Willie Green, Pargo) got a shot of confidence and became effective.  Suddenly the Blazers had to defend everyone on the court.  However the Hawks would go about 5 possessions moving the ball, get a big lead and then revert back to one on one and saw their lead dwindle.  It was almost comical and I wondered why their coach was not picking this up.  Anyway to me ball and player movement makes basketball watchable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Yes!!!!

The object was to beat them down the floor! Scores were typically 120-112, etc.
    It was man to man and physical, all at top speed.

Then came the college coaches, disguised zones (now legal) and eventually, 80-70 snore fests.

I think we might see a return as some coach realizes he doesn't want to face these set zones and dials it up a couple of notches.

The NBA seems to have less adventurous coaches. Remember those 1-4 years, when every team ran the same offense. Now it's all pick and roll. Nobody dares to be different.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I've always said I liked watching the NBA from the '60's through the early '90's...sure athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster.....it doesn't translate to better basketball...I think that is one reason why college ball has such a great audience....the games are terrific night after night for the most part....I get bored watching the slow down, isolation, one on one game...and dunking is totally out of control...it used to be exciting....now it's more of an entertainment factor...field goal percentages are inflated by the dunk...I'd also eliminate the three point shot...or at least get rid of it in the last few minutes of games...I'm probably in the minority...but I am against the three point field goal and the designated hitter in MLB...I also hate the "star treatment" and the "home court officiating" that is rampant nowadays....just my opinion!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics Film Footage:
    [QUOTE]I've always said I liked watching the NBA from the '60's through the early '90's...sure athletes are bigger, stronger, and faster.....it doesn't translate to better basketball...I think that is one reason why college ball has such a great audience....the games are terrific night after night for the most part....I get bored watching the slow down, isolation, one on one game...and dunking is totally out of control...it used to be exciting....now it's more of an entertainment factor...field goal percentages are inflated by the dunk...I'd also eliminate the three point shot...or at least get rid of it in the last few minutes of games...I'm probably in the minority...but I am against the three point field goal and the designated hitter in MLB...I also hate the "star treatment" and the "home court officiating" that is rampant nowadays....just my opinion!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Happy to see that your enjoying those dvd's of the 60's. You must be in "OLD TIMERS" heaven. I noticed that you didn't list the Celtics-Lakers playoff game of  1963 (Cousy's final game). Its a great dvd to have. Its even more Old timerish than the other video's. Enjoy the new year.
     Seems

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hi there my old friend....yes, enjoying the DVD's.....and I was really enjoying the non stop action of "yesteryear"....I'd almost forgotten how fast and exciting the play was...also, hardly any breaks in the action....seemed like many fewer time outs....they just kept running (as our friend "Run" likes to point out...)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Hi there my old friend....yes, enjoying the DVD's.....and I was really enjoying the non stop action of "yesteryear"....I'd almost forgotten how fast and exciting the play was...also, hardly any breaks in the action....seemed like many fewer time outs....they just kept running (as our friend "Run" likes to point out...)
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Just like watching an Allstar game.
    Seems

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Exactly!!  ....except they played defense !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Man to man!

Matchups were really matchups.

Satch had to guard Baylor, Russell vs. Chamberlain etc.

Pierce vs. LeBron, a few years ago, was pretty close. What a shootout!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Hi there my old friend....yes, enjoying the DVD's.....and I was really enjoying the non stop action of "yesteryear"....I'd almost forgotten how fast and exciting the play was...also, hardly any breaks in the action....seemed like many fewer time outs....they just kept running (as our friend "Run" likes to point out...)
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Brought this post back to life just to illustrate the mind set of you and your friends when it comes to the style of play that existed back in the 60,s ( you did mention defense in a later post). I understand why you and your friends are partial to the play of the 60's.  High scoring generally makes for a more interesting game no matter what sport it may be. But I hope that your aware of the fact that the regular season games were very similiar in style and effort to the annual AllStar game where defense never leaves the locker room. When A team opts to fire away from the outside on about 70 to 80% of its shots while running off very little time on the clock you will end up scoring a lot of points. So its not surprising that in the 60's they averaged about 115 points per game on about 103 fga per game. This compares to the following numbers for the 2000's. Points per game=97.2 on about 80 shots per game with only about 55 to 60% of the shots being from the outside.  Sure did like to take those quick outside jumpers back in the 60's.
           Now for the important AllStar game comparison.
      In the 60's, the AllStars averaged 125 points pergame (10 more than the regular season) and 110 shots per game(7 more than the regular season)
      For the 2000's AllStars it was 128.6 points per game(31.4 more per game than the regular season) and 111 shots per game(31 more shots than the regular season). 
        As you can see from the numbers the 1960's regular season games played much,much closer to the style, intensity and numbers of the AllStar games, then did the games of the 2000's which saw the regular season games being played in a fashion that was far from the run and gun style of the AllStar game even though the AllStar games of the 2000's were almost a carbon copy of the 60,s.   So I  fully understand why you and your friends are still hooked on the Basketball of the 60,s.  Fun to watch for sure, but remember that the fans of the 2000's might very well consider the teams of the 60's nothing but run and gun and lacking in the finer points of defense.

Seems     

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

Rules changed the game. College coaches brought sophisticated zones with them and they became legal. The 3 changed everything and it took time to adjust. It's not the same game. I think everyone realizes that.

Defense was played, but it was a different game. Man to man, stay in front of your man, funnel the ball to the middle for help. Never get beat baseline. Think Knights 70's Indiana teams, state of the art at the time.

Now led by college coaches, such as Huggins and Calhoun, defensive theory has changed. Body up defense, force the ball to the sidelines(yes, even the formerly taboo baseline!) and you must defend the 3. It's not the same game at all.

I do think coaches are starting to see the wisdom of beating the defense down the floor. It just can't happen in Boston with this team. You need young legs. Miami has 2 great players that can get to the rim at will. They're starting to put it together. I hate it and wish it was us.

We're not just old cranks pining "for the good old days." Give us some credit. Some of us are pretty knowledgable and have played, and coached, this great game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]Rules changed the game. College coaches brought sophisticated zones with them and they became legal. The 3 changed everything and it took time to adjust. It's not the same game. I think everyone realizes that. Defense was played, but it was a different game. Man to man, stay in front of your man, funnel the ball to the middle for help. Never get beat baseline. Think Knights 70's Indiana teams, state of the art at the time. Now led by college coaches, such as Huggins and Calhoun, defensive theory has changed. Body up defense, force the ball to the sidelines(yes, even the formerly taboo baseline!) and you must defend the 3. It's not the same game at all. I do think coaches are starting to see the wisdom of beating the defense down the floor. It just can't happen in Boston with this team. You need young legs. Miami has 2 great players that can get to the rim at will. They're starting to put it together. I hate it and wish it was us. We're not just old cranks pining "for the good old days." Give us some credit. Some of us are pretty knowledgable and have played, and coached, this great game.
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost[/QUOTE]

Mr Most
        I to am a Old Timer, perhaps the oldest on this board at soon to be 80. I could sit for days and reminisce about the sports world of my youth. Ah such fond memories for me, so you may rest assured, it is not my intent to belittle those same great thoughts that others may hold about their youth. However I sometimes feel that Old Timers are reluctant to acknowledge that the present generation may indeed have some pretty darn good credentials in the sports world.  I'm sure that you and I could talk for days about sports in general, and we would proably agree on more than we disagree. One thing for sure Mr Most.  Things sure have changed a lot in the world of basketball since your namesake first echoed those famous words back in the 50's------ "This is Johnny Most from high above courtside"
    Seems

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrJohnnyMost. Show MrJohnnyMost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics Film Footage :  Mr Most     I to am a Old Timer, perhaps the oldest on this board at soon to be 80. I could sit for days and reminisce about the sports world of my youth. Ah such fond memories for me, so you may rest assured, it is not my intent to belittle those same great thoughts that others may hold about their youth. However I sometimes feel that Old Timers are reluctant to acknowledge that the present generation may indeed have some pretty darn good credentials in the sports world.  I'm sure that you and I could talk for days about sports in general, and we would proably agree on more than we disagree. One thing for sure Mr Most.  Things sure have changed a lot in the world of basketball since your namesake first echoed those famous words back in the 50's------ "This is Johnny Most from high above courtside" Seems
    Posted by SeemsToMe[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I now understand what you were saying.

It's true. This game has grown by leaps and bounds, and so has the coaching. Today's athletes are better. They've been coached from grade school and are physically superior due to specialized training.

But we do have to watch it.

I think much of the complaining has to do with the product currently on display in Boston. It isn't pretty and it is not a happy time. Nonetheless, you'll see more great plays in an NBA game than you'll see in the entire final four. And that's why we watch it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeemsToMe. Show SeemsToMe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics Film Footage : Thanks for that. I now understand what you were saying. It's true. This game has grown by leaps and bounds, and so has the coaching. Today's athletes are better. They've been coached from grade school and are physically superior due to specialized training. But we do have to watch it. I think much of the complaining has to do with the product currently on display in Boston. It isn't pretty and it is not a happy time. Nonetheless, you'll see more great plays in an NBA game than you'll see in the entire final four. And that's why we watch it.
    Posted by MrJohnnyMost[/QUOTE]

Cheer up Johnny. All good things come to an end eventually. Its been a great run and now its time to start thinking about the future. There's nothing quite like winning but I've always been able to take solace in watching a team  that is  rebuilding with talented young players. The draft, free agency and trades can keep things quite lively while the rebuilding takes place. I have faith that Danny and Doc will soon  have the team on the up swing even if this year turns out to be a bummer. Keep the faith.
    Seems 

Sections
Shortcuts