Celtics going after Oden

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Celtics going after Oden

Ben Rohrbach: Grousbeck on offseason: big sign & trade a possibility, Celtics need more help at 2-3-4 & Oden is on the radar ("How could he not be?")

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Re: Celtics going after Oden

In Response to Celtics going after Oden:
    Ben Rohrbach:  Grousbeck on offseason: big sign & trade a possibility, Celtics need more help at 2-3-4 & Oden is on the radar ("How could he not be?")
    Posted by MichBelgium

I Like it, Anybody who saw him play in college knows what he can do, he's a beast when he's healthy so let's just hope he stays on the court

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notrade. Show notrade's posts

I don't like it. It rings of the Pervis Ellison desperation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

Boy if he could only stay healthy, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Hi,
    Why do they need Oden if they've already got Shaq:same effect but the price is much less?

AK

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Oden will never stay healthy.  What precedent of an injury prone big man suddenly staying healthy is there?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bramrok. Show bramrok's posts

Celtics have no chance anyway against the Heat next year without taking a huge gamble. I would take it. There is about a 10% chance Oden could stay healthy,
    and that is better than the Celtics chances with the way the team is currently constituted.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics going after Oden:
     Celtics have no chance anyway against the Heat next year without taking a huge gamble. I would take it. There is about a 10% chance Oden could stay healthy, and that is better than the Celtics chances with the way the team is currently constituted.
    Posted by bramrok

I agree, if the MLE is all we would have to pay him, i would go for it!! But that would be all i would do next year, we need to wait til 2012 and go after a true super star, or two if possible!!  Sounds easy doesn't it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

That is Mr. Ainge's style getting players with rotten knees. Why hasn't Ainge been fired yet???? Just saying...
    Posted by RicoCeltic

Well having no understanding of the salary cap allows you to ask questions like that?  Ainge has not been fired yet because he has ZERO flexibility in the cap era........ but of course you knew that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbrann. Show mbrann's posts

Dam...Oden is very likey to remain injured forever. But you guys might be right that we stand no chance next year unless Danny doubles down and makes another crazy move like signing Oden.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

Oden will never stay healthy.  What precedent of an injury prone big man suddenly staying healthy is there?
    Posted by concord27

Zydrunas Ilgauskas.  He was as injury prone as anyone, but has finished his career with multiple healthy seasons.

That's honestly the only one I can think of.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Sorry, that is not how I read it.  The Celts need help at 2,3,4 and Oden in none of those.  I see the big sign and trade possibility as a trade for Rudy Gay because Memphis may be forced into another salary dump.  Green at much lower salary will be ideal for the Memphis situation where Zach Randolph is the prominent man now.  The question will be, how can the Celts fill out the salary match requirements.  Maybe, Sheed's contract will come into play.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

It sounds like an option but I wouldn't spend the MLE on another rehab project.

And after Bill Walton, Pervis Ellison, Perk, Jermaine O'Neal, and Shaq...I don't think I can take another season following the daily injury reports.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

That is Mr. Ainge's style getting players with rotten knees. Why hasn't Ainge been fired yet???? Just saying...
    Posted by RicoCeltic

How do you like your new coach Brown??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Bill Walton had more injuries that Oden..and he got us 1 champioship...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

The Celts may as well set up an orthopedic clinic with Shaq, JON and Oden as its permanent residents.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Posted by concord27

That's what people said about Grant Hill but he turned out to have solid career, Greg Oden is only 23 and basically has yet to begin his career. it's not like he has played a ton of minutes and games in his career and now he's knee are weak, he only played 82 games so he has a lot of mileage left in his legs. Things don't always turn out for the worse.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenaboveGold. Show GreenaboveGold's posts

Hi, Why do they need Oden if they've already got Shaq:same effect but the price is much less? AK
    Posted by sinus007

Also, Greg Oden is 16 years younger than Shaq, so he probably won't al 3 months to recover from a calf/achilles minor injury if he has one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Hi, Why do they need Oden if they've already got Shaq:same effect but the price is much less? AK
    Posted by sinus007

You were being funny, right?   

In case you weren't, its because Shaq may never play again and if he does, he may be on the court for 4 minutes and then injured again!!!!

If we can compete for Oden, its great, but we'll be one of many and Portland has the edge.  The owner (Paul Allen) knows and loves this kid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Sorry, that is not how I read it.  The Celts need help at 2,3,4 and Oden in none of those.  I see the big sign and trade possibility as a trade for Rudy Gay because Memphis may be forced into another salary dump.  Green at much lower salary will be ideal for the Memphis situation where Zach Randolph is the prominent man now.  The question will be, how can the Celts fill out the salary match requirements.  Maybe, Sheed's contract will come into play.
    Posted by prakash

You're right that the C's need help at the 4 (not the 3, they have Jeff Green and not the 2 as they have West and Wafer). So, is it more important to have a center to rebound and play D or a 4 to back up KG so he plays less minutes?  Not sure, but I'd pick a center.  I think its easier to find a backup 4 than a back up 5.

It really hurt us this year having Shaq out, JON out, Semih out every other game, and Perk out then traded.   Krstic was effective for 3 weeks and that's it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Oden is an interesting possibility. He would be a big gamble to say the least. As other posters pointed out, several other players have recovered from multiple major leg injuries to have good careers afterwards. I'll add one of my favorites to that list. Bernard King.
        It will be interesting to see what the free agent market will be for Oden, that's if there's a free agent market at all this summer. With the article I just read in the globe, the negotiation process is not going well at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

I get it that at 23 Oden's got great upside but he seems more like a luxury for top teams that already have a solid rotation. Unfortunately, at this point we've got too many holes to roll the dice again with our MLE and take a flyer on a guy who may or may not come around. We need to get youger and athletic a.s.a.p. and while Oden meets the first need, I'm just not sure he fills the latter and most important criteria.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Posted by concord27

only one i can think of is zydroopas iglausksus

Sections
Shortcuts