Celtics head to playoffs as 8th seed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Celtics head to playoffs as 8th seed

In response to cole-ely's comment:

Well, if its a choice between a top 10 pick and making the playoffs as #8, better to get the pick.  But if you're looking at picking 20 or making the playoffs, better to get the cash from the playoff series and get the experience.

Remember too, the more success you have, the more trade value your players gain.

Don't get that one.  How can you pick at #20 and not make the playoffs?  Unless you have another teams pick.  In which case, whether you make the playoffs or not is irrelevant.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

In response to BaileyPowe's comment:

as we're not likely to go from last to first again, i'd be quite pleased to make an 8th seed playoff appearance next spring as a huge step in the direction we want to go. what - 8th seed playoff is by definition mid limbo? living there year in and out is one thing, passing through is quite another.

bp

I agree, teams that are always in the playoffs but not in contention are usually in that position not for lack of talent but lack of a stable organizational structure. 

We have some decent talent, that with the right style and level of potential accomplished  we could be an eighth seed . I know we technically have 18 players on the pay role now but two are good as gone (Babb, Bogans),four are on the bubble ( Johnson,Pressey,Faverani, Anthony)  and another maybe wearing a different uni by November. We have a ton of what if's at this point but no definite answers. If half of of the what if's turn out positive we could be a decent team, if not, we could be worse than last year.

Last year all our what if's turned out no. This season we have some of the same what if's but with new twists and some new what if's. ;

Same old:

Jeff Green, different season same question. JG is in a contract year and could be pushed for production and minutes from Evan Turner, Marcus Thorton and James Young at the 3 and Sully and OK at the 4. If JG pushes back and has a monster year he could make a big payday, if he folds into a shell he will be an MLE for the rest of his career.

Avery Bradley, can he stay healthy? This is the first year AB isn't injured or recovering from surgery in his career. I think AB is an exceptional player and to me his health is the only question. AB is a player that regardless of what position you label him, should be on the court. The fact that he has refined his game despite his injuries says to me if he can come into this season having worked on his game he could have a breakout season.

Rajon Rondo, is he able to lead a this group to over achieving or was it his surrounding cast that made him look good? Can he flourish in an more up tempo motion offense ? I'm a Rondo supporter and I give him a total pass on last season. RR is also in a contract year a has a lot of questions to answer for potential FA suitors. Has he regained his explosiveness ? Is he as good with an less experienced and accomplished supporting cast ? Can he show enough to lure another main piece here?  He has a lot to gain or lose this year.

Sully and OK, will they reach their potential because of their high skill levels or will they be limited by their physical shortcomings ?

New what if's:

Marcus Thorton, will he be on the team opening day, where will he fit in ? Marcus is also entering a contract year and like Green and Evans is at a career deciding season, to fulfill his potential or be an MLE the rest of your career.

Evan Turner, this his last chance to not only resurrect his career but to stay in the league. Turner is teetering on verge on being one of the biggest top draft  busts ever, he doesn't come up big this year he better learn another language.

Tyler Zeller, can he quite his critics and become the player he was in college at this level or is he a annual 10th 11th player off the bench?

Is this the team we're starting the season with? I haven't mention Brandon Bass and almost didn't mention Marcus Thorton, both may be moved before opening night.

Are Smart and Young as good as they think? Smart has been so hyped up you'd think he was the #1 pick. Is it hype or talent? Every time I saw Young play last year I was impressed, if KU won he would've been MVP. I was surprised by the direction of him being picked not with his being picked. Young has smooth game and sneaky explosive athleticism and could the steal of the draft, or not.

All the what if's turn out positive we'll be a competive team fighting for one of the last couple of spots and making the higher seed work to get by us. JG reacts positively to Turner pushing for minutes and Thorton pushing him for shots and finally realizes his potential. RR regains his explosiveness and shows he can excel in a faster more motion oriented offense and improves his FT% that would warrant a max deal. AB stays healthy and regains his unbelievable foot and hand speed and continues to improve his stroke. Turner finally gets it. Thorton realizes the are two parts of the game. Zeller, Sully and KO continue to adapt and improve. Smart is as good as advertised and Young is as good as I think he can be, we'll  be good enough to both make the playoffs and get better.

If the what if's don't turn out and we start out slow expect a fire sale and watching our first and second year players a  seeing the majority of minutes.

Hmmmm...awesome post. You nailed a lot of the issues with just about every player. Just wanna say.....VERY GOOD

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

In response to prakash's comment:

Exactly. We may already have our Wall in Marcus Smart, but like Wall, Smart will take a couple years before he is ready to lead a team into the playoffs.  Unlike Wall, Smart has a veteran former All-Star taking up his desired position as a starter. Wall got every opportunity to succeed and take his lumps on a team where he was definitely going to be the man. Smart, at the moment doesn't have those luxuries.

Do you think that having to fight for your position and minutes is bad?  It may not be.  If Marcus Smart is truly a super star potential then let him go get it.  Let him build the hunger.  Stars and leaders in the league do not get things handed to them.  They compete to get there.  Kevin Johnson played  behind Mark Price.  Kobe Bryant played behind Eddie Jones.

Sully and Olynyk will be the key to this year.  How much can they raise their game?  Smart and Young will likely struggle and will see limited minutes.  Rondo might revive Turner's career.  The believe that Celts will not mind the 8th seed.  Otherwise, Turner's signing would be a very head scratching move.

No matter how you want to SPIN it, Marcus Smart starting and playing 28+ mins a game is better for his development, confidence, and value than playing 18 mins in a bench role.

Smart plays killer D...the "other" PG does not...not anymore.....this discussion is OVAHHH!

The reason why RR doesn't play KILLER D knucklehead is because he has learned/been told to pick his spots. He is needed on the floor, not Ir'd. RR can shut down ANYONE he wants to when the game is on the line. Just like all great players, they learn to pick their spots. DJ....my favorite....was killer when the game was on the line. He didn't do it all 48. You need to lay off the dude and give credit where credit is due. The kids a baller.....when the heat is on he's at his best. Just like DJ, JoJo, BIG red n the rest before him. Now......if you want to debate weather or not he should.be traded to bring more assets because we are rebuilding.....that's something I might agree with. But NO......RR is a BALLER.....get that straight...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Well, if its a choice between a top 10 pick and making the playoffs as #8, better to get the pick.  But if you're looking at picking 20 or making the playoffs, better to get the cash from the playoff series and get the experience.

Remember too, the more success you have, the more trade value your players gain.

Don't get that one.  How can you pick at #20 and not make the playoffs?  Unless you have another teams pick.  In which case, whether you make the playoffs or not is irrelevant.

I just threw the number 20 out there.  I don't know exactly how many teams are in the league.  Where is the first playoff pick exactly?

Anyway, the point being it's rarely a choice of top 5 or bust.  And if you're looking at picking, we'll say in the teens, might as well make the playoff and make the money and hopefully your players have more value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Remember, if guys like sully, green and oly can get us some wins, it will increase their trade value which may be turned into draft pics.

Green's value is set. Everyone knows what and who he is. And imagine how much more value Sully, Olynyk, Smart, ect. could have after a season playing 30-35 minutes a game and maximizing their individual potential as opposed to being 2nd and 3rd string players behind Bass, Wallace, Bradley and Rondo on a 38 win 8th seed.  It's not even close.

To maximize the value of the young guys on this team they need to play, and if they are playing big mins this team isn't making the playoffs. The decision to sacrifice development or wins must be made, because there is no young Durant, Lebron, or Duncan on this team that will step in as a 20 year old and win you games singlehandedly. 

I agree you play the young guys.  But I don't agree that Green's value is set.  I think he could have a good month and gain some value and someone would want him.  I can see OKC wanting him back, to be honest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Remember, if guys like sully, green and oly can get us some wins, it will increase their trade value which may be turned into draft pics.

Green's value is set. Everyone knows what and who he is. And imagine how much more value Sully, Olynyk, Smart, ect. could have after a season playing 30-35 minutes a game and maximizing their individual potential as opposed to being 2nd and 3rd string players behind Bass, Wallace, Bradley and Rondo on a 38 win 8th seed.  It's not even close.

To maximize the value of the young guys on this team they need to play, and if they are playing big mins this team isn't making the playoffs. The decision to sacrifice development or wins must be made, because there is no young Durant, Lebron, or Duncan on this team that will step in as a 20 year old and win you games singlehandedly. 

I agree you play the young guys.  But I don't agree that Green's value is set.  I think he could have a good month and gain some value and someone would want him.  I can see OKC wanting him back, to be honest.

I agree with you about Green returning to OKC.  He could help them next season.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

With the addition of Rondo, Zeller, and Smart the Boston Celtics have a much better team than last year.  Bradley , Green, Sullinger, Bass, Thornton and possibly Turner will provide a boost to the team.  That is 9 players that should make us better with their addition or improvement from last year.  KO and Young are question marks but could give us something.  Wallace is a proven vet who will get better when we start competing for a playoff spot.  That is 12 players ready to go; and a player from what is left over should make a positive showing.  We have a good young coach with experience in the NBA and we also have Tommy.  Get on the band wagon we are going to the playoffs.  (rude posters please refrain)

The Celtics will shock everyone by rising to the #4 spot in the East.....Marcus Smart Rookie Of The Year, Rondo QB's Celtics into playoffs and beyond 1st round........

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Marcus Smart rookie of the year out of the 2 spot isn't going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I just threw the number 20 out there.  I don't know exactly how many teams are in the league.  Where is the first playoff pick exactly?

Anyway, the point being it's rarely a choice of top 5 or bust.  And if you're looking at picking, we'll say in the teens, might as well make the playoff and make the money and hopefully your players have more value.

OK, I understand the gist of your post.  Yes, I agree, every move has a good bit of failure probability associated with it.  If the odds fall in your favor then you are a genius.  Otherwise, you are a bum.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

These aren't the realistic outcomes of what the Celtics can accomplish. The REALISTIC choices are: Trade Rondo by the deadline and end up a top to mid lottery team (depending on how long into the season before being traded). Which means in the top TEN! Or keep Rondo and MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE sneak into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth. Then end up with a 15-18th pick.  There is a better chance that the team ends up with a top 5 pick in this draft if Rondo is traded before the season, than there is that they make the playoffs with him on the team all year IMO.

This team if running on all cylinders could be a nice story like the Suns of last year, (who didn't make the playoffs) But they aren't anywhere near as good or balanced as the other overachievers, the Wizards, who did.

Honestly this current team reminds me of Jeff Green. People are going to be saying, "look at all this potential and opportunity! There is no way they shouldn't be able to reach it." Just like what most people were saying about Jeff last year.  Then by mid season everyone is P.O.d and ready to tear the team down because they proved them wrong. Every few games though, they'll show you that potential and we'll all say WTF!? It just won't amount to a ton of wins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Rondo will have to show me a lot more than he did last year for me to believe he will be a positive factor at all, much less lead us to the playoffs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:

Exactly. We may already have our Wall in Marcus Smart, but like Wall, Smart will take a couple years before he is ready to lead a team into the playoffs.  Unlike Wall, Smart has a veteran former All-Star taking up his desired position as a starter. Wall got every opportunity to succeed and take his lumps on a team where he was definitely going to be the man. Smart, at the moment doesn't have those luxuries.

Do you think that having to fight for your position and minutes is bad?  It may not be.  If Marcus Smart is truly a super star potential then let him go get it.  Let him build the hunger.  Stars and leaders in the league do not get things handed to them.  They compete to get there.  Kevin Johnson played  behind Mark Price.  Kobe Bryant played behind Eddie Jones.

Sully and Olynyk will be the key to this year.  How much can they raise their game?  Smart and Young will likely struggle and will see limited minutes.  Rondo might revive Turner's career.  The believe that Celts will not mind the 8th seed.  Otherwise, Turner's signing would be a very head scratching move.

No matter how you want to SPIN it, Marcus Smart starting and playing 28+ mins a game is better for his development, confidence, and value than playing 18 mins in a bench role.

Smart plays killer D...the "other" PG does not...not anymore.....this discussion is OVAHHH!

The reason why RR doesn't play KILLER D knucklehead is because he has learned/been told to pick his spots. He is needed on the floor, not Ir'd. RR can shut down ANYONE he wants to when the game is on the line. Just like all great players, they learn to pick their spots. DJ....my favorite....was killer when the game was on the line. He didn't do it all 48. You need to lay off the dude and give credit where credit is due. The kids a baller.....when the heat is on he's at his best. Just like DJ, JoJo, BIG red n the rest before him. Now......if you want to debate weather or not he should.be traded to bring more assets because we are rebuilding.....that's something I might agree with. But NO......RR is a BALLER.....get that straight...

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hey, puss head, if he's not a "baller' night in and night out, for whatever the reason, they don't need him any longer....DJ could pick his spots because he was on a loaded team...what's Rondo waiting for, K Love? Got THAT straight?! WHOEVAHTHEHECKYOUAREN'T

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

Same was said last year.

Some here said Celts will surprise people and win 41 games or 37 games last season.

But when it was looking like the Celts were going to win more games than they should, Ainge traded Crawford and Lee.

Celts then went from a 13-21 team and a shot a the 8th seed to a 25-57 team and in the hunt for a top 5 pick.

There are teams that are desperate to make the playoffs, like the Charlotte Hornets.

But the Celtics is not the Charlotte Hornets.

The Boston Celtics and their long time fans will only be happy if the Celts are in the Finals.

I remember in the recent 20+year rebuild that we (long term fans, listened to Bill destroy the Russians on the radio gang) would have been happy to be in the playoffs.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

These aren't the realistic outcomes of what the Celtics can accomplish. The REALISTIC choices are: Trade Rondo by the deadline and end up a top to mid lottery team (depending on how long into the season before being traded). Which means in the top TEN! Or keep Rondo and MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE sneak into the playoffs by the skin of your teeth. Then end up with a 15-18th pick.  There is a better chance that the team ends up with a top 5 pick in this draft if Rondo is traded before the season, than there is that they make the playoffs with him on the team all year IMO.

This team if running on all cylinders could be a nice story like the Suns of last year, (who didn't make the playoffs) But they aren't anywhere near as good or balanced as the other overachievers, the Wizards, who did.

Honestly this current team reminds me of Jeff Green. People are going to be saying, "look at all this potential and opportunity! There is no way they shouldn't be able to reach it." Just like what most people were saying about Jeff last year.  Then by mid season everyone is P.O.d and ready to tear the team down because they proved them wrong. Every few games though, they'll show you that potential and we'll all say WTF!? It just won't amount to a ton of wins.

THIS!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Expectations, mine are positive if Danny wants to win, he just my not like last year.

Sections
Shortcuts