Celtics interested in Bynum

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

Re: Celtics interested in Bynum

he stays injured too much.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbostonceltics. Show bigbostonceltics's posts

well if the celtics can pull something like that off then thats ok.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Why would the Cavs do it?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I don't think we need to add Faverani, Wallace should be enough. I would be trying to get a better pick out of it as well. I'm not a capologist but after we waive him wouldn't our payroll be 3 mil less for this year? If so that would give us some wiggle room for any further trades this year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why would the Cavs do it?

[/QUOTE]

Good question.

I don't have an answer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Cause they want done with him Give what it takes but get a draft choice, considered that he is a physical and enthusiasm cripple

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cause they want done with him Give what it takes but get a draft choice, considered that he is a physical and enthusiasm cripple

[/QUOTE]

They can just waive him by Jan 7th.  Why take on Wallace's terrible contract?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

There is no reason for the Cavaliers to give up anything of value along with Bynum when they themselves can simply waive him by January 7th. They're seeing whether they can recoup something for him from a team that's desperate to add a once franchise center. Forget about adding a draft pick. The Celtics would have to give up a draft pick.

If I'm Danny Ainge, I would definitely be interested in adding Bynum. Of course it's a big risk, but it's also high reward. How often does a legitimate top-caliber center become available for pennies on the dollar? Bynum has championship pedigree. He's not old. When healthy, he's a top 3 center in the NBA. If the Celtics can keep his head on straight, and he avoids injury, they're right back in the thick of contention. I like my chances with Rondo and Bynum leading the way. The attitude issues are worth the gamble. Teams in the predicament of the Celtics don't often get these opportunities, so they have to take these kinds of chances for any hope to compete.

There's no real downside. If Bynum destroys team chemistry, the Celtics will pick higher in the draft (which is what most of us wanted before the year started anyway). If his contract becomes guaranteed, he's still only a short-termer at mid-level dollars and easy to discharge. There's no real downside. The Celtics either get better because he's rejuvenated and returns to championship form or they get better because he's the same Andrew Bynum that he's been with the Cavaliers and his presence increases the probability of a high lottery pick. It's a win-win proposition.

Offer Cleveland their choice of Gerald Wallace or Kris Humphries, add a conditional first round pick (top 10 protected), and that should get it done.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I would consider giving the Cavs the Clippers first round choice in 2015 if they would be willing to take Wallace's contract.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

[QUOTE]

I would consider giving the Cavs the Clippers first round choice in 2015 if they would be willing to take Wallace's contract.

[/QUOTE]

First round protected only.

Chris Paul could blow out a knee and the Clippers turn into a lottery team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the Clippers draft pick is top 10 protected anyways - not 100% sure, but pretty sure.  I agree, though - only a lottery protected pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheOriginalDfury13. Show TheOriginalDfury13's posts

Wallace gives them a legit SF that can benefit from a real PG. Bynum doesn't really fit what they do. I would do that trade.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Wallace and Bynum have almost identical contracts as soon as Bynum's becomes guaranteed in January so dealing one guy for each other is pretty much a salary wash.

The Celtics take on the gamble of making Bynum back into a quality player, but the Cav's do not get much which means that they will want a draft pick.

The Celtics have lots of draft picks at this time spread out over the next few years.  Some are their own (which all C's fans hope are not going to be a lottery pick beyond this year) and some are from other teams.  Some of the picks from other teams right now look better than others, but the Clippers's pick in 2015 appears to be one that can be given away.  Some of the C's own picks look better than others as well.

One thing to consider with all of the number one picks that the Celtics do have is that the Celtics probably do not plan on being able to play all of the guys that they can draft in the next few years if they are indeed going to soon become a contender again.  And, that holds true even if each of the draft picks actually turn into good pro players.  Young guys are great but playoff teams that plan to do well probably will not have a roster chuck full of guys younger than 24.

Some of these draft picks then are going to have to be used to bring in some veterans at some point to go along with Rondo, Green, Sullinger, Olynik, Bradley, etc.  It, basically, comes down to "when" do the Celtics want to start this process.  They can wait to see how things look in a couple of years or they can make a calculated move now to get the big man they desperately need.

A guy like Bynum, who is already established and quite young although still a risk as far as health and (now) attitude might be a good guy to start with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

If we trade for Bynumit it's to waive him and save money. If another team is willing to sign this punk more power to them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

DA, grab him! only you know what he's worth to the Celtics, so we are waiting to see how you try to do this smartly. Go gett'm DA! Do your thang!!! if you choose not to do so, nuff said. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think I'd rather keep the pick.  What does $10M slot really going to do for us next year, I don't think it is the right time for us or any good free-agent to consider the Celtics yet.  And the year after, an expiring contract might have some value and usefulness.  Of course, Wicks would not mind some pocket change I think.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

There is no reason for the Cavaliers to give up anything of value along with Bynum when they themselves can simply waive him by January 7th. They're seeing whether they can recoup something for him from a team that's desperate to add a once franchise center. Forget about adding a draft pick. The Celtics would have to give up a draft pick.

If I'm Danny Ainge, I would definitely be interested in adding Bynum. Of course it's a big risk, but it's also high reward. How often does a legitimate top-caliber center become available for pennies on the dollar? Bynum has championship pedigree. He's not old. When healthy, he's a top 3 center in the NBA. If the Celtics can keep his head on straight, and he avoids injury, they're right back in the thick of contention. I like my chances with Rondo and Bynum leading the way. The attitude issues are worth the gamble. Teams in the predicament of the Celtics don't often get these opportunities, so they have to take these kinds of chances for any hope to compete.

There's no real downside. If Bynum destroys team chemistry, the Celtics will pick higher in the draft (which is what most of us wanted before the year started anyway). If his contract becomes guaranteed, he's still only a short-termer at mid-level dollars and easy to discharge. There's no real downside. The Celtics either get better because he's rejuvenated and returns to championship form or they get better because he's the same Andrew Bynum that he's been with the Cavaliers and his presence increases the probability of a high lottery pick. It's a win-win proposition.

Offer Cleveland their choice of Gerald Wallace or Kris Humphries, add a conditional first round pick (top 10 protected), and that should get it done.

I agree wholeheartedly with your excellent analysis of why we should go after Bynum. In short, he's better than anyone we have under the post and might be a great targetfor Rondo to lob to under the basket.

But if a bad attitude and he ruins team chemistry, dump him but the risk that he might rejuvenate into the Allstar Center  albeit he is injury prone too, the upside is worth it I think.

I recall when we beat Lakers in 2008 the tinsletown fans cried that with a healthy Bynum we might not have won so as we also felt that if we had Perkins in game 7, we'd won too. But in 2010, I don't believe he was that effective...it was the supposed softy Gasol who played well and especially better than Garnett.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

What do mean that opportunity like this does not come very often?  He was available last year for anyone who was willing to come up with the money.  Now you want to trade something valuable to get him for the same bad contract?  He won't play for LA or Philly or Cleveland, what makes Boston so special?  It only makes sense if you trade and dump him to get rid of bad contract.  I guess if you want to throw more money away, you can keep him beyond Jan deadline.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The post says the Celtics have assets AND EXPIRING CONTRACTS the Cavs might be interested in.

That is obviously not Wallace guys. Duh.

Bynum for Humphries and a draft pick would be the obvious trade.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Celtics didn't have the money to sign Bynum as a free agent, but they can obtain him via trade. He's a top 3 center when healthy. Sometimes a change in scenery helps a player mature. I don't know if he'd excel in Boston and behave himself, but even if he didn't, that would be okay too. There is nothing to lose by adding him. Either he makes the team a lot better by reverting to prior form, or he continues to struggle and the Celtics get a high lottery pick. The money is irrelevant because it will be essentially equal to the outgoing salaries of Humprhies or Wallace. There's no long-term commitment, even if he stays after January 7th.

I am utterly dumbfounded by how more of you wouldn't want to take a flier on a guy who is not that far removed from playing a primary role on two NBA championship teams. Plus he's not even 30! People here are seriously underrating Andrew Bynum. Of course he's worth Kris Humphries and a protected pick. It would be insane not to offer that to the Cavaliers. It's not as though a lot of talented centers are available to the Celtics, let alone franchise-caliber centers under 30 at mid-level dollars with championships on their resume. Ainge should be jumping all over this opportunity.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would trade the Clippers pick too, if we could get rid of Wallace in the deal....

[/QUOTE]

I think the Clippers draft pick is top 10 protected anyways - not 100% sure, but pretty sure.  I agree, though - only a lottery protected pick.

[/QUOTE]