Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeterParker2. Show PeterParker2's posts

Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins

How can he deserve 8.5 million per year?   The only wrong thing was to trade for nothing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lakerfaker. Show lakerfaker's posts

Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins

I thought  you guys got a number one pick and Jeff Green for him?   You just gave him away?   That is bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

He's injured but surely not worth 8.5 even when completely healthy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeterParker2. Show PeterParker2's posts

Yes, hopefully we will get a good pick in the coming draft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins:
    He's injured but surely not worth 8.5 even when completely healthy.
    Posted by kccorwin

OKC really wanted Perk and thought he would improve their team.   My take is that if he hadn't been traded he would have resigned with the Celtics.  I don't believe that any other NBA team would have offered him more than the Celtics were willing to pay him.  I have confidence that Danny will sign a good/elite center this offseason.  We definitely have the money to sign someone.  The biggest mistake that Danny made was signing Jermaine.  He didn't contribute much in his time with the Celtics and just took up cap space. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeterParker2. Show PeterParker2's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : OKC really wanted Perk and thought he would improve their team.   My take is that if he hadn't been traded he would have resigned with the Celtics.  I don't believe that any other NBA team would have offered him more than the Celtics were willing to pay him.  I have confidence that Danny will sign a good/elite center this offseason.  We definitely have the money to sign someone.  The biggest mistake that Danny made was signing Jermaine.  He didn't contribute much in his time with the Celtics and just took up cap space. 
    Posted by susan250

Yes, you are right.  Paying 6 million to Perks is better than to Jermaine.  I hope we will sign McGee this summer.  He would be a better centre available.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : Yes, you are right.  Paying 6 million to Perks is better than to Jermaine.  I hope we will sign McGee this summer.  He would be a better centre available.  
    Posted by PeterParker2

Not a chance in hades.....he re-ups with Denver!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : OKC really wanted Perk and thought he would improve their team.   My take is that if he hadn't been traded he would have resigned with the Celtics.  I don't believe that any other NBA team would have offered him more than the Celtics were willing to pay him.  I have confidence that Danny will sign a good/elite center this offseason.  We definitely have the money to sign someone.  The biggest mistake that Danny made was signing Jermaine.  He didn't contribute much in his time with the Celtics and just took up cap space. 
    Posted by susan250

Excellent analysis.  Perkins would have been nice to have around but that is in hindsight. The real mistake as you point out was banking on Jermaine O'neal after he had been terrible in Miami.  He was a tragic waste of a MLE.  Green had heart problems who could have known a thing like that in advance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Monday Morning quarterback I know but I’d been happy with Perk retiring a Celtic and would have liked to have kept Posey, House & Tony Allen too.  Bad, bad luck he got injured in Game 6 & then we lost # 7 two years ago.  He always played great “D” on guys like Bynum & D. Howard.  A few factors, I believe, is why he was not resigned.  He was injured so one never knows how one recovers & perhaps we felt he wasn’t worth the money. Despite being known for great “D” & rebounds, he was not a prolific scorer & a lousy foul shooter & we felt in close games, opponents would do the “Hack the Shaq” routine.  At the time, Rondo too was not a good foul shooter & we didn’t want 2 on the team. We really felt we got a good deal as knowing PP was aging, we got Jeff Green a good “F”, not a center, but at 6’9” a good rebounder & good scorer to backup Pierce. To replace Perk we got the Serb Krystic.  We also got Shaq. Jermaine O'Neal got more than Perk wanted, I think(not sure)...what a bust ! Krystic went to Europe & Shaq got injured & Green had a heart condition & we got unluckily screwed and really haven’t had a center since Perk…please don’t tell me Sheed who liked shooting “3s” more than banging under the boards. Perk had great chemistry with all the team members, especially KG.  So, again, as a Monday moring qtrback, I’d love to have had Perk with us because, OKC, although a much younger team, is still mostly a jump shooting team as are we. But Durant & Westbrook can drive to the basket when needed but the team does not have a prolific scoring Center like Bynum, Gasol, Hibbert, Howard etc. in the paint. We too have good perimeter scorers, KG, PP, Allen & even Rondo has picked it up & Bass & Pietrus too.  So, Perk would have been great getting rebounds & passing the ball out again to these guys.

OK, enough already as it’s all yesterday’s newspaper that Perk is gone !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : Not a chance in hades.....he re-ups with Denver!
    Posted by jdm894g

If Mcgee has a mind made of something other than mush, he seems like a real talent.

He will be possibly overpriced in this year's market however.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The problem was the deal was to have been for Harden and we'd sweeten it with a #1 (the Jujuan pick) and instead they came back with Green and sweetened it with their #1 (the Clips pick) and Danny jumped on it b/c Marquis was hurt, LeBron/Deng stood in our way (Green was more their size) and the Clips looked to be picking in that 10-15 range in a deep draft, then it fell into the 20's when they got CP3.

Defensible...but bad in the end now that Harden is a star, Green has a heart condition and Shaq/JON/Krstic never helped replace Perk the way it was assumed they could.

Perk is worth 8 million. We are going to have to pay that much for a Jordan Hill, Jason Thompson or JJ Hickson type player and they are not even C's. Humphries and McGee will get 11-13 million. Hibbert likely a max deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Imagine if Green played that stingy Posey type defense last year, resting PP, while adding 11-13ppg and NOT havign a heart condition, Shaq returned to 80% of what he was in Nov-Jan, JON carried over his burst of 10-12 good 20 min 6p-7r-3b games thru last years playoffs and this season, and the Clippers pick was sitting at 11-14 right now??

Ah well

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Posted by susan250

Danny also gave up thinking that Perk was good enough to be a building block around Rondo to make the post-big 3 era a championship team... and therefore his 8-9 million per year cap hit would keep us out of the bidding for a guy like Howard that WOULD keep us a contender.

If only Danny knew, like most of us here did, that Dwight was NEVER coming to Boston, the trade may never have happened.

What he should have been doing was keeping Tony Allen or trying to trade for guys like Battier/Ariza summer of 2010.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : Danny also gave up thinking that Perk was good enough to be a building block around Rondo to make the post-big 3 era a championship team... and therefore his 8-9 million per year cap hit would keep us out of the bidding for a guy like Howard that WOULD keep us a contender. If only Danny knew, like most of us here did, that Dwight was NEVER coming to Boston, the trade may never have happened. What he should have been doing was keeping Tony Allen or trying to trade for guys like Battier/Ariza summer of 2010.
    Posted by rameakap

A bird in the hand beats two in the bush. A gm like Ainge has to restrain his natural agressiveness in favor of a more conservative approach when you have something that is working well enough.

The approach he used with the Perk trade is totally acceptable when your team is going nowhere. That was not the case.

Unfortunately he had to make that mistake, but at least he has learned from it this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

not signing perk was one of the worst decisions i have ever seen. i look at our team now and the only gapping weakeness is a lack of rebounding and toughness inside. Hmmmm... i wonder who the perfect player would be to fill that whole?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

not signing perk was one of the worst decisions i have ever seen. i look at our team now and the only gapping weakeness is a lack of rebounding and toughness inside. Hmmmm... i wonder who the perfect player would be to fill that whole?
    Posted by p-dogg81

I agree wholeheartedly...instead of needing to shoot 5-10% better because we are last in the league in rebounds, it'd been nice to win shooting 35-45% and not 45-55% on nights when we got cold like 2nd half of Philly's game if we could get 10-15 more rebounds and blocked shots for extra possessions.  OH Well...next year, hopefully !!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Posted by p-dogg81

Perk brought toughness, rebounding not so much.  Don't get carried away.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

I thought  you guys got a number one pick and Jeff Green for him?   You just gave him away?   That is bad.
    Posted by lakerfaker

OKC probably thinks he worth every penny, right about now..don't you think?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics made right decision - Not to re-sign Perkins : I'll give you the toughness inside but Perk was never a 10+ rebounder.....in fact with the nubs he has for fingers he is not anywhere close to a good rebounder
    Posted by damfuno

What you need to examine is the way he keeps the oppositions best rebounder away from getting the ball. That's the role he plays extremely well. It's called putting a body on someone.

Sections
Shortcuts