Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhiskeyB. Show WhiskeyB's posts

Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League

There's been a lot of talk about Miami's current struggles and the Celtics' manhandling of them. One phrase that keeps popping up is that the Heat will right their ship because they've got the more talent than any team in the league. That's just plain wrong. They have two of the top three most talented players in the league. That cannot be denied. However, while the Heat have two, possibly three, players the Celtics would take in a heart beat, the Celtics have maybe one group of three guys the Heat WOULDN'T take in a heart beat (Wafer, Harangody and Quis). Other than that group the Heat would take any combination of three Celtics players to replace nearly anyone on their team aside from Bosh, Wade, Bron and Haslem. The Celtics are the deepest team I've ever seen in the NBA in my lifetime (admittedly I'm not all that old). Their depth is still impressive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League

Whiskey

It looks as if Haslem is the most consistent player on the floor right now for the Heat.  LeBron James is incapable of subordinating his ego for a team.  Bosh is invisible right now.  He is a much better player than what he is showing.  Spoelstra won't last til the All Star break.  Poor Dwayne looks like he can't believe how bad his team is.

The Celts are also in a spot of finding themselves without Perk but three centers who only play sporadicaly because of injury or inexperience.  Puts Glen Davis into a whole different context than 'competent helper off the bench'.  Glen Davis is holding down the secong line.  Delonte's return will show how well the Celtic's bench is consturcted.  Get the O'Neals well enough to play some mins per game and we can really catch fire.  Slide Marquis Daniels and Nate Robinson into that sceanario and the Celtics are the most talented by far.  Oh yeah, then Perk returns with the sole purpose of reclaiming his starting center job through playing defense.  I can see Perk coming off the bench for very few m/g and working right into torture chamber of offensive and defensively diverse 5s.  We can be throwing rotations of Jermaine, Shaq, Semih, Perk and Baby at the 5.  That should worry Phil Jackson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

shines01, I totally agree with you.  Miami added 1 superstar in Bron.  Adding Bosh was just another normal free agency pickup.  No way Bosh is a close to max player free agent.  Haslem has played well but outside of that, Miami has no players.  Their only injury is Mike Miller and he's no difference-maker so what you see with Miami is what you get.

The Celtics can field a 2nd unit of Delonte, Nate, Quis, Baby and O'Neal/Erden/Perk.  THAT unit can compete with most teams 1st units.  I can't wait til we can get everyone together for 15 games.  We can develop into a frightening team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhiskeyB. Show WhiskeyB's posts

Excellent posts Shines and Petey. I definitely agree with you Shines that Haslem is the Heat's most consistent contributor. He's the type of player you'd love to see wearing green. Our fortune of fives is frankly farcical. Thus far, Big Baby has balled greatly. With West back Robinson will give our bench some more scorin'. The only point on which I disagree with you Petey is that I don't think Perk will be a huge contributor this season. I love the guy but ACL tears are hard to come back from (especially for big guys). He won't be in bball shape and he won't have a lot of confidence in the new graft in his knee. I've gone through three of them so I have some insight into that. I expect him to reach his previous form after next season's all-star break. Other than that I'd say that we pretty much already have developed into a frightening team. We just gotta stay relatively healthy come playoff time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The celtics are scary for sure. Right now I think their only competition might be the Lakers. When is the next Lakers - C's game anyway?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

LA and Boston don't meet until January 30th, which seems ridiculously late for these juggernauts.

When Perkins comes back, Boston is going to be the team to beat in the NBA.  Doc is already managing Shaq's minutes closely (and wisely); when Perk returns, Shaq is going to stock up rest heading into the playoffs.  And for a few minutes last night, he looked like a much younger Shaq. This bodes well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Celts might just be the deepest team, although that Dallas roster has lots of talent.  Miami has Wade and James and a lot of role players, some of whom are too far along in their career or incapable of playing a supporting role.  I never saw Bosh as a max guy, he's never really proven to be a franchise-type player in IMO and he's definitely not a 5. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League:
    [QUOTE]LA and Boston don't meet until January 30th, which seems ridiculously late for these juggernauts. When Perkins comes back, Boston is going to be the team to beat in the NBA.  Doc is already managing Shaq's minutes closely (and wisely); when Perk returns, Shaq is going to stock up rest heading into the playoffs.  And for a few minutes last night, he looked like a much younger Shaq. This bodes well.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

You are kidding, right?! This is the same Perk that Andrew Bynum manhandled on ONE good leg.

We'll be getting Drew back around Thanksgiving. When the teams meet in January, he'll be in game shape and should be dominating. Drew is much more mobile than Shaq and he's proven himself against the Big Fossil. The Lakers will, AGAIN, be the team to beat in the NBA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : You are kidding, right?! This is the same Perk that Andrew Bynum manhandled on ONE good leg. We'll be getting Drew back around Thanksgiving. When the teams meet in January, he'll be in game shape and should be dominating. Drew is much more mobile than Shaq and he's proven himself against the Big Fossil. The Lakers will, AGAIN, be the team to beat in the NBA.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

When was the last time an NBA team giving up 103.91 pts per game to their opponents won a championship?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

If the Celtics beat the Lakers, it will be on the strength of their bench.  Other than Odom and possibly Shannon Brown, I wouldn't take anyone from the Lakers bench over the Celtics' bench and Brown is very inconsistent (rich man's Marquis Daniels - hyperathletic, long, good defense with length/speed, inconsistent shot).

I agree with Petey.  Nate, West, Quis, Baby, O'Neal/O'Neal would be a 6-8 seed in the East this year.  Harangody might be the best 11th man in the league (if that matters - I think he'd be a serviceable 2nd-stringer on most teams and he's at least as good as Luke Walton).

The Lakers' starters would have to beat the Celtics and I still see that as a push, especially with KG looking younger again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Actually, I almost more afraid of the spurs right now than the Lakers. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

ahhh who would you rather have guarding Bynum in a big game?

Perk or Shaq?

SHAQ! Thats why I think we got him, among other reasons, rebounding being one. 

If Shaq puts in 20-25 min against LA just to play defense and get boards. We win. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Wow, Celtic Laker finals talk and it's only November.  Life's good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

One word comes to mind when I think of Shaq playing against Kobe and the Lakers.
    MOTIVATED

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

As a healthy team, I think we're by far the best out there. What really pumped me up was watching Quis play even better than early last season. Baby has improved and taking charges is better  tahn blocked shots... gets us the ball (blocked shots, who knows?) and tags the opponent with another foul.

The two best things are KG is back and moving well, much better than last year. Thats huge for us ... and... what we saw from West/Nate in preseason. If that carries over to the regular season, we will have an awesome team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Oh, almost forgot Shaq. He gives us a presence in the middle almost nobody else could and hes delivering. If we can get 20 mins + a game from him, we're in Schafer city.  Shaq takes no prisoners in the lane, Lebron will tell you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Most pundits favored the Lakers and the Heat before the season started because of Perks injury, KG's diminished level of play in the finals. and the fact that they thought both Shaq and JO were done. As we have found, KG is back, and Shaq is far from done.

Experts kept saying that teams would feed the Celtics a steady diet of pick and rolls to expose Shaq. Guess what, it has not mattered. The Celtic defense, while not as effective as last year, but not as bad as some had predicted, is much more effective offensively.

KG, Davis, Ray, Shaq, and Daniels have all played better than expected by many.

While the rest of the league keeps waiting for age to overtake the Celtics, they just keep rolling along.

By the way, it was not Bynum that manhandled Perk in the finals. it was Kome that kneed him in the knee as was going for a rebound. Perk was not in game seven when the Celtics came within 6 minutes of defeating the Lakers with a diminished KG, and PERK on the bench.

...be afraid,... be very afraid Laker fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : When was the last time an NBA team giving up 103.91 pts per game to their opponents won a championship?
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

I'm not really sure, but this year could be a time that it happens. More importantly, the Lakers +9.1 point differntial is the best in the league.

Let's not forget that we're only about 11 games into the season and they're without their "big man", Andrew Bynum. I guarantee as the season moves forward, that 103.9 point average will go down.

I hope you're not questioning the Lakers ability to play defense when it counts. I think they proved that last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

[QUOTE]One word comes to mind when I think of Shaq playing against Kobe and the Lakers. MOTIVATED
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

One word that comes to mind about Shaq playing Kobe and the Lakers....old.

If Bynum is healthy during the playoffs, Shaq becomes a non-factor.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : I'm not really sure, but this year could be a time that it happens. More importantly, the Lakers +9.1 point differntial is the best in the league. Let's not forget that we're only about 11 games into the season and they're without their "big man", Andrew Bynum. I guarantee as the season moves forward, that 103.9 point average will go down. I hope you're not questioning the Lakers ability to play defense when it counts. I think they proved that last year.
    Posted by Qdaddy[/QUOTE]

Of course you will have a +9 point differential if you keep playing teams like the Suns and the Wolves. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : Of course you will have a +9 point differential if you keep playing teams like the Suns and the Wolves. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

and at home

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]One word comes to mind when I think of Shaq playing against Kobe and the Lakers. MOTIVATED
    Posted by breaktime[/QUOTE]

One phrase comes to mind when I think of Shaq playing Kobe.....4-5!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : One phrase comes to mind when I think of Shaq playing Kobe.....4-5!
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

When Shaq beats Kobe in June it will be 5.5-5. Shaq owns the tie breaker because Shaq beating Kobe is worth 1.5 wins. 

The solution, Laker trolls, is you pray that Kobe and the Lakers don't make it to the Finals. That way if the Celtics win it will be just Kobe-5 and Shaq-5.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Could well be the most talented team in the league on paper. But that counts for nothing if an injury strikes a key player or you lose in the finals.

You could argue that the 1987 Celtics team was the most talented team in the league but injury destroyed that team. Amazingly though they were still able to get to the NBA finals in 1987 which was a great achievement.