Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League:
    In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : Pau Gasol has never been a league MVP. And PAU GASOL IS NOT ONE OF THE 50 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY!  http://www.nba.com/history/50greatest.html Kobe won Finals MVP in 09 and 10 because Pau Gasol was and is still the 2nd best player on the Lakers. Back in 2000-02 Kobe was the 2nd best player on the Lakers. That's why your argument FAILED!
    Posted by P34

That top 50 list was before the current reign of Kobe who is clearly a top 50, actually top 5, player of all time! Same goes for The Spaniard. Guess what....you

FAIL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : That top 50 list was before the current reign of Kobe who is clearly a top 50, actually top 5, player of all time! Same goes for The Spaniard. Guess what....you FAIL!
    Posted by RUMcHale

Michael Jordan said Kobe is only Top 10 material. Failed, did you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

There are some really dumb posts on this board, reinventing the role of Shaq and Kobe when they won 3 titles together. Anyone who watched the Lakers knows that the triangle is center-driven. Kobe and the entire team deferred to Shaq based on the system that was in place and the insistence of Phil Jackson. Would the Lakers have won 5 titles without Phil Jackson? NO! In one series alone, Kobe destroyed the Spurs. His speed and power to the basket were extraordinary. Even Shaq was in awe, saying that Kobe was his hero. What made the 3 Laker titles a coach's achievement is the Lakers won with 2 superstars and inferior role players minus Robert Horry. Had Kobe not been arrested for rape and Karl Malone and Rick Fox not gotten injured, the Lakers would have won a 4th title. Try having Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton, Slava Medvedenko, and Sasha Vujacic as your team! You wouldn't win squat. Getting those Lakers to the playoffs was a signifixcant achievement. As for Gasol, he learned to man-up by learning to play alongside the Assassin.
    Posted by rsalas67m

Excuses again? 

Take note Laker fans, this Laker trolls just said KOBE GOT ARRESTED FOR RAPE!

There is no connection between Kobe's rape and the 2004 Finals. 

Malone and Fox were the reasons why the Lakers lost 4-1 against the Pistons? If I remember right the series didn't even go back to LA, the Pistons WON ALL 3 HOME GAMES IN THE FINALS. How many times did that happen in the history of the NBA?

The Lakers traded Shaq, that's why the Lakers ended up with players like Kwame and Smush. Whose fault is that?

I totally agree that a post that says you can get away with rape as long as you're a great basketball player is a dumb post.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

oh yeah...Smush, I forgot about him.  Where is Smush?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

oh yeah...Smush, I forgot about him.  Where is Smush?
    Posted by shines01

He's in Russia.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

rsalas,

I remember 2004. There is no way that the Lakers should have even been in the finals that year. The KG led Timberwolves had the best record, and beat both the Lakers and Detroit in the regular season. In fact, they swept Detroit. If it was not for the fact that both of the Timerwolves point guards went down during the Western Conference Finals, and KG had to play point guard, the Lakers were toast. Malone was a shadow of his former self, even before the injury, and KG was league MVP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : Michael Jordan said Kobe is only Top 10 material. Failed, did you?
    Posted by ConnectingRod

What would you expect him to say considering Kobe is challenging him for the title of "All Time Greatest".

Personally, I don't think either is the All-Time Greatest. I think that title goes to Bill Russell. The great players are measured in number of titles and Bill has the most. If Kobe is only top 10, so is Jordan.

BTW, I'm a lifelong Laker fan.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : He's in Russia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smush_Parker#Professional_career
    Posted by P34

I'm SHOCKED that Smush Parker would have enough name recognition that he warrants a mention on Wikipedia!

Having said that, that's a good place for him. He sucked!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasBracamonte. Show EliasBracamonte's posts

"...the Pistons WON ALL 3 HOME GAMES IN THE FINALS. How many times did that happen in the history of the NBA?"

You think that's impressive? How about winning all three road games in the finals or going an NBA record 15-1 in the playoffs (LA vs 76ers - 2001).

Now that's impressive!

Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasBracamonte. Show EliasBracamonte's posts

I'm not into "The media hype machine."

About the only thing you said RUWorthy, that I agree with is "Bryant is no MIKAN, Russell, Magic, MJ or Bird" - that's right, he doesn't need to be compared to other greats, he is his own player. That said Kobe is very much on the same level with those guys.

"...easily at a level below those guys"

Unfortunately, I think that because of your age, you imagine players of the past as more than they were - in your mind they are probably god-like. One thing you should practice doing when comparing one generation of players to another is that you keep in mind that the "greats" of the past were susceptible of having good and bad games. It is human nature to view famous people in a more favorable light after they have long retired. This happens with athletes, former presidents, parents, etc. etc. Kobe Bryant is one of the very best players of our generation with an amazing resume of accoplishments that are very much on the same level of the all time greats - and he is not even near retirement!

When you get a little older and when Kobe is long retired, your view of him might change. I mean you're talking about a guy who is trying to take his team to their fourth consecutive NBA finals! 

Give your opinions time is all I'm saying.

Cool 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

There are some really dumb posts on this board, reinventing the role of Shaq and Kobe when they won 3 titles together. Anyone who watched the Lakers knows that the triangle is center-driven. Kobe and the entire team deferred to Shaq based on the system that was in place and the insistence of Phil Jackson. Would the Lakers have won 5 titles without Phil Jackson? NO! In one series alone, Kobe destroyed the Spurs. His speed and power to the basket were extraordinary. Even Shaq was in awe, saying that Kobe was his hero. What made the 3 Laker titles a coach's achievement is the Lakers won with 2 superstars and inferior role players minus Robert Horry. Had Kobe not been arrested for rape and Karl Malone and Rick Fox not gotten injured, the Lakers would have won a 4th title. Try having Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton, Slava Medvedenko, and Sasha Vujacic as your team! You wouldn't win squat. Getting those Lakers to the playoffs was a signifixcant achievement. As for Gasol, he learned to man-up by learning to play alongside the Assassin.
    Posted by rsalas67m

You expect sympathy from us?  You STILL have Luke and Sasha.

Try having  (i luv) Walter McCarty, Vitaly Potapenko, Antoine Walker, Tony Allen, Ron Mercer and Travis Knight as your team, with Pitino as the coach.  I have NO sympathy for you!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EliasBracamonte. Show EliasBracamonte's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : How is that dumb? I don't get how some fans can't take any negative comments that are aimed at Bryant? Bryant is no MIKAN, Russell, Magic, MJ or Bird. He's a classy player, but easily at a level below those guys. The media hype machine makes him out to be better than what he actually is. Although at least he has won championships unlike Lebron James. You actually saw Russell win championships? Like, on TV at the time they were being played? For sure, the Lakers were a dominant team because of Shaq. He had the right pieces put around him by shrewd management. However if Shaq didn't join the team, you would be able to assume that the Spurs would have been the most dominant team in the West. Bryant just didn't have the ability to lead a team deep into the finals on his own. Unlike say an Allen Iverson. Perhaps with a combination of injury to other teams and luck Bryant may have been able to do it. Some players have the ability to lift the guys around them to great heights. And I don't believe Bryant has this ability. He can inspire his team mates during games, but he's not the type of leader that a Mikan, Russell, MJ, Magic and Bird were. Not to denigrate his ability, he's just not that type of player. Pierce and Bryant are the same in so many respects. Each needed good players around them to win titles. No player wins a title in the NBA alone, but those guys I mentioned could take a team by the scruff of it's neck and take them to a title. Usually by their personality as much as their ability.
    Posted by RUWorthy

I'm not into "The media hype machine."

About the only thing you said RUWorthy, that I agree with is "Bryant is no MIKAN, Russell, Magic, MJ or Bird" - that's right, he doesn't need to be compared to other greats, he is his own player. That said Kobe is very much on the same level with those guys.

"...easily at a level below those guys"

Unfortunately, I think that because of your age, you imagine players of the past as more than they were - in your mind they are probably god-like. One thing you should practice doing when comparing one generation of players to another is that you keep in mind that the "greats" of the past were susceptible of having good and bad games. It is human nature to view people (famous or otherwise) in a more favorable light after they have long retired. This happens with athletes, former presidents, parents, etc. etc. Kobe Bryant is one of the very best players of our generation with an amazing resume of accoplishments that are very much on the same level of the all time greats - and he is not even near retirement!

When you get a little older and when Kobe is long retired, your view of him might change. I mean you're talking about a guy who is trying to take his team to their fourth consecutive NBA finals! 

Give your opinions time is all I'm saying.

Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Try having Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Luke Walton, Slava Medvedenko, and Sasha Vujacic as your team! You wouldn't win squat.
    Posted by rsalas67m

Put them in a team with either Magic or Bird in their prime and you'd have a team that wouldn't only be good, it'd be dangerous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

rsalas, I remember 2004. There is no way that the Lakers should have even been in the finals that year. The KG led Timberwolves had the best record, and beat both the Lakers and Detroit in the regular season. In fact, they swept Detroit. If it was not for the fact that both of the Timerwolves point guards went down during the Western Conference Finals, and KG had to play point guard, the Lakers were toast. Malone was a shadow of his former self, even before the injury, and KG was league MVP.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu

That was massive bad luck for the Wolves. If the Wolves had actually won that year there is a chance that KG would still be playing for them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Karl Malone was not a shadow of himself. Malone at 35% would still generate fear and anxiety among most NBA players. The Lakers having to play play Slava Medvedenko instead saved Detroit. The key for opposing teams was the fact that Rick Fox and Karl Malone went down that season and the team was disjointed because of Kobe's legal troubles.

I'm not crying and venting about why the Lakers did not win against Detroit. That's a part of the game. L.A. had won 3 titles in a row. The Lakers won 5 titles in tjhe 2000s. What other organization can compete with that during the decade?

There are still NBA franchises that haven't won a single title. Did you guys see Matt Barnes sizzle tonight? Wait until Andrew Bynum comes back and then we will see just how dominant the Lakers will be.

The troll patrol!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

The 2004 team that played and lost against Detroit was cancerous.

The series that let's me down was the 1989 finals. Losing Magic and Scott destroyed us, people go on about losing Bynum in 2008. He didn't mean as much to our team in 2008 as Magic and Byron did in 1989. 

If we'd lost Bryant in 2008 then that would compare with the 1989 finals injury crisis. People seem to forget we were leading game two when Magic got injured. And losing Byron in practice was just horrible luck.

That may well have been a three-peat if not for those injuries. Although even with both our starting guards fit and healthy, it would have been a massive challenge to beat Detroit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

When Andrew Bynum returns he will be at 100% already?

Laker trolls say Perk will not be 100% when he comes back, but when Andrew Bynum comes the Lakers will dominate.

HAHAHA!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Qdaddy. Show Qdaddy's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics, Most Talented Team in the League : I agree, Shaq needed Kobe and Kobe needed Shaq. The difference is Kobe never won the Finals MVP trophy when Shaq was a Laker.
    Posted by P34

Why do you think Kobe ran him out of town?

We all know he did. Despite his denials.

Those were the two BIGGEST egos to ever don a Laker uniform.

Sections
Shortcuts