Celtics possibly offering their top pick in a deal for Kevin Love

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Celtics possibly offering their top pick in a deal for Kevin Love

There is the link we can talk off of:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-sources-wolves-open-idea-trading-love

What they are rumored to want:

1. A high pick in this years draft

Well we can offer pick 5 or 6 if we don't get lucky enough to land top 3. 

2. A solid veteran or two that would come in right away and contribute to a team that is lacking veteran leadership.

We have Bass and Wallace up for grabs. Bass is more useful and his 1 year 7m salary MUCH more acceptable. I doubt they want Wallace's 2/20, unless maybe we take back Martin's 3/21, but for now let's just say Bass.

3. Other assets

I would go so far as to make a 'Godfather' offer (one they cannot refuse) that includes Sully and one of the C's future 1st rd picks. Probably their own next year or the Nets in 2015, no protection on either.

I don't think any other teams can better our offer. If the Wolves miss on a top 3 pick and Parker would they trade Hayward (QO), pick 4 or 5 and Kanter for him? The Bulls would probably offer Boozer's expiring, both their first round picks in the teens and that European prospect everyone talks up a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Read Boston is a possible choice, but don't count out the Rockets.  McHale drafted Love, and they have a strong bond.  While HOU doesn't have a high draft pick, I think a lot is contingent on what Love wants.  Sure, we can offer 5, 6 7 or 8.....but if Love doesn't want to play here, it's pointless.  Also read GSW is a landing spot.  He likes that team, even though they don't have any draft pick.  Would they take Lee and Harrison Barnes?  Tuesday is a big night!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Love wants to play for a contender, I think he'll be wary of coming to Boston. I doubt Ainge would do this deal if the Celts get a top 3 pick, but if they get 5 or worse, I'll be Ainge will do his darndest to make it happen. 

I hope it goes through only because runrunrun will lose his mind and he won't ever be able to post his racial crud in here ever again

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I could see this as being step one in an Ainge two year master plan to return the C's to not just contender status but legit dynasty potential if all goes well.

Step 1: Add Love at the draft (lotto pick, Sully, Bass, Bogans, future unprotected #1). Love agrees to pick up his 2015-16 option but doesn't sign max extension.

Step 2: Nail pick 18, add a player who is not just a role player but a very good future starter/6th man

Step 3: Keep Avery for less than we all thought earlier this year, like 5/27.5

Step 4: Trade for Asik. Humphries (signed and traded at like 2/20), Faverani and Clippers 2015 1st rd pick for him sounds like a fair offer to me. 

Step 5: Rondo signs a slightly below max, Baron Davis style extension that preserves future cap space. Like 5 years 80 million. Pierce returns for 2 year MLE deal.

2014-2015 rotation:

C - Asik, Olynyk

PF - Love, Olynyk, maybe some Wallace if he is finally healthy

SF - Green, Pierce (signs for the MLE, 2 years)

SG - Avery, a player like Jordan Adams or Nik Stauskas (pick #18), maybe some Pierce 

PG - Rondo, Pressey

That team would challenge Miami each of the next two seasons. Green picks up his option for 2015-2016 and Asik signs like a 5 years 40 million deal to stay here ages 29-33. 

Summer of 2016, right as the Heat players are all pretty much in the spots in their career the Celtics big three were after the 2010 finals (Ray - 35 Wade - 34, KG 34 - Bosh 32, Pierce 33 LeBron 31, LBJ/Wade with WAY more miles on treads than '10 PP/Ray) the C's create the cap space to sign either Durant or LeBron (I prefer Durant, more of a Celtic/Red style player and person).

Summer of 2016 the salary cap will be up around 70-72 million. 

Rondo - 15

Asik - 7

Bradley - 5.5

Olynyk - 3

2014 17th pick - 2.25

2015 or 2016 1st rd pick in teens - 2

2016 1st rd pick in 20's - 1.25

Total = 36 million. That leaves 34-36 million for Love and Durant or LeBron to split. The two of them would need to be onboard with taking slightly less to join forces with the team in place, simply remove a middle of the road SF in Green from a top 4 team in the East and replace him with a top 2 SF in the league making C's the best team in the NBA. LeBron or Durant would 'settle' for like 4 years 100 million while Love signs the same 5/80 that Rondo signed.

Pierce plays a final year at the veteran minimum/BAE in 2017, his 19th in the league, retires 4 months before his 40th birthday with an NBA title and 2nd most points in Celtics history. 

Boom!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And how do they get Love to agree to an extension?  That is really the first thing that has to happen before Ainge agree to a deal.  From Love perspective, why would he agree to an extension now?

[/QUOTE]

Agree. No go if Love is only here for a year. Two more days and they find their draft position. Once that's set then Danny can get to work making and taking offers.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

It's nice to dream. Maybe something will happen. But even a starting 5 of rondo, Bradley, green, love and asik would need another shooter at the 2 or 3. Maybe we get lucky and get a hood with the nets pick. Like I said, it's nice to dream. lol

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's nice to dream. Maybe something will happen. But even a starting 5 of rondo, Bradley, green, love and asik would need another shooter at the 2 or 3. Maybe we get lucky and get a hood with the nets pick. Like I said, it's nice to dream. lol

[/QUOTE]

Stauskas is the best shooter in the draft, he might slide to 17.

Jordan Adams should be there at 17, he apparently looked great at the combine and shot lights out and was already one of the 5 best shooters in the draft along with Harris, McDermott, Stauskas and Napier.

P.J. Hairston is a SG who could be around at 17 as well although I don't see him slipping past the Bulls. 

I don't want anything to do with Hood, especially with Green and Wallace on the team or with PP possibly coming back for the MLE if we landed Love. Hood is a SF who is not aggressive and is invisible for long stretches of time on the floor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

And how do they get Love to agree to an extension?  That is really the first thing that has to happen before Ainge agree to a deal.  From Love perspective, why would he agree to an extension now?

[/QUOTE]

I would almost have to be a package deal you would have to make sure both he and Rondo would agree to stick around. You would still be one star scorer away from being really good.
    I have used this handle since 2005.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to nightrider495's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say if they do so, I hope that they don't offer too much more than that. I like Kevin Love a lot, I just don't want them to mortgage the future to have 5 good years, and then turn around and go through another season like this. I say use the draft picks and build like the Thunder did. That way u have a good team for a decade.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Love is not the impact player that KG was.  He is a non-factor on the defensive end and his personality will not dominate the locker room.  I'll say it again.  What has Minnesota won with him?  They are a lottery team this year.  Let's try building through the draft.  The Spurs hit grand slams in 3 drafts and have been contenders for 17 years now.  I don't want another 5 year window.  I want a 15 year window.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Celtics don't need a star at #17, they just need to find a player who will go down as one of the top 10 in that draft class who slides that far. It could be one of those 3 SG's, and the C's really just need a SG who SHOOTS, plays 20-24 mins a game off the bench and burns teams a la Terry, Kerr, House, Paxton, Ainge, the current version of Ray Allen, Andrew Toney... they have their 3 and D defender in Bradley.

Look at the top 10 in their draft class players in the last few years who went 15-20.

2011- Kawhi Leonard, Iman Shumpert (not top 10 anymore) and Tobias Harris

2010 - Avery, Eric Bledsoe, Larry Sanders (if he gets his act together)

2009 - Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Jeff Teague

2008 - Not all top 10 but looks at these names! Robin Lopez, Roy Hibbert, JaVale McGee, JJ Hickson, Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee, Kosta Koufos, Nicolas Batum, George Hill and Serge Ibaka went in the 15-26 range.  

In that same draft! Michael Beasley, Joe Alexander, Anthony Randolph, D.J. Augustin, Marreese Speights, Brandon Rush and Jerryd Bayless went in the 2-14 range. Yikes!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I might roll the dice with our second 1st rnd pick but I don't know if K Love for 2 yrs is worth mortgaging the teams future on unless DA pulled off another rabbit out his hat and we get Love,Rondo and Melo or someone else like when he got KG and RA. I don't see it happening.

Love hasn't been to playoffs once is 6 years, is he the veteran role model for a young team? If Love wanted to go to a possible contender it would be Houston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

offer anything but the top pick.  this guy has averaged 60 games a year for minny.  not really any body of work to show he's rugged enough to last through a significant playoff run.  he makes a backloaded SIXTEEN MILLION two years from now.  that's a lot of cheese. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

I would almost have to be a package deal you would have to make sure both he and Rondo would agree to stick around. You would still be one star scorer away from being really good.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

If Kevin Love is the #1 guy and Rondo the #2 guy, the Celts would just be a 2nd round playoff team.

No way Rondo and Love can beat Lebron or even the Pacers.

[/QUOTE]

Thus the question, why would Love agree to an extension before a trade to the Celtics?  He wants to go to an already a good team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Id do Wallace, KO or Sully, and bogans plus our lotto pick for Love, or swap Bass and Wallace and give them pick 17 instead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

If Kevin Love is the #1 guy and Rondo the #2 guy, the Celts would just be a 2nd round playoff team.

[/QUOTE]

Thus the question, why would Love agree to an extension before a trade to the Celtics?  He wants to go to an already a good team.

[/QUOTE]Because we have a FA magnet in the form of soon-to-be FA  Rajon Pierre Rondo.

After all, it was the opportunity to play with Rondo (he's that good)  that attracted Shaq to this franchise.

How quickly we forget.

Pud

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

What if Minnesota wins the lottery?  Might that change K Love's thinking?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to nightrider495's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I say if they do so, I hope that they don't offer too much more than that. I like Kevin Love a lot, I just don't want them to mortgage the future to have 5 good years, and then turn around and go through another season like this. I say use the draft picks and build like the Thunder did. That way u have a good team for a decade.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Love is not the impact player that KG was.  He is a non-factor on the defensive end and his personality will not dominate the locker room.  I'll say it again.  What has Minnesota won with him?  They are a lottery team this year.  Let's try building through the draft.  The Spurs hit grand slams in 3 drafts and have been contenders for 17 years now.  I don't want another 5 year window.  I want a 15 year window.

[/QUOTE]

This is exactly the reason why I'm not sold on icing so much up for Kevin Love. Keep your picks and wait for guys to become free agents and sign them. I'm sure with a top three pick, Rondo, Sullinger, Bradley, and Olynyk,  that may entice free agents to come here and sign. That would be a solid start of a long term nucleus to build off from. They would still have a ton of cap room to sign people.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Just say no to Kevin Love.

Sign Hayward as a free agent and keep Sullinger and the pick.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He would become coming to a team with one All-Star, that could sell him that they could easily still improve. The question is do you need a Ray Allen deal first to convince him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Minnesota is loaded with talent, and yet they still suck.  But let's mortgage our future for their best player by trading players with higher potential...no thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

1-rondo/bayless/prosy

2-bradley/#17 pick

3-green/wallace/johnson

4-love/olynyk

5-asik/olynyk

what do you do with bass and hump? either would be a nice backup to love, but we can't keep 'em all. definitely need another 2 who can shoot. if not asked to be "the man", can green be that third player behind rondo and love? or do we need to sway him out for either a draft pick or someone like hayward? i think we're stuck with wallace no matter what, unless we end up trading away rondo, then maybe we can attach him to a rondo deal.

honestly, at this point, if we can swing love, that's great. if not, assuming we land a top 5 pick and can get a cornerstone-type player, i'm good with that too. it's nice to have some options opening up.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Minnesota is loaded with talent, and yet they still suck.  But let's mortgage our future for their best player by trading players with higher potential...no thanks.

[/QUOTE]

who on our current roster has higher potential than love? i'm not saying he's a leader like KG. that role will fall to rondo i think. but who else is going to average 26 and 12 on this celtics team? i like sully, but i don't think his ceiling is quite that high.

Sections
Shortcuts