Celtics' Salary Cap Situation

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation

Then explain to me how the lakers say they will go after BOTH Baron Davis and Rashard Lewis when they are cut!!

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216779/Lakers_Would_Be_Interested_In_Davis_Lewis

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

There are some players available but I doubt we can sign them. My top 2 on a wish list would Delambert and Chandler,but unless DA pulls a rabbit or 2 out of his hat. I don't know how this works but between Shaq and Rashweed that 8 mil against the cap. If someone retires doesn't that cap space become trade exemptions? If that is the case then we may have some wiggle room via sign and trade. Otherwise some guys that are ok jouneymen that may help; Leon Powe,Etan Thomas,Dan Gadzurich,Brandan Wright,Mo Peterson,Larry Hughes,AK47 Kiralinko,Josh Powell,Jamario Moon  and Jeff Foster. I have no idea of the in and outs of salary cap loopholes and exceptions so I don't know if we can sign guys like these.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

what if you use the full MLE before you sign green to his contract...see what i mean? that way you can fit it in...i maybe wrong..but there are ways...

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation : The Lakers are counting on those players to accept the vet's minimum or somewhere in the 2-3m price range. 
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY - so why can't we count on the same from Kwame, Crawford, or JRich?

I would not waive any player yet, btw - why help out one of your competitiors?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation : Kwame and J-Rich are possibilities, but Crawford signing a 1-year deal for 3m? There are going to be a lot of teams interested in Jamal Crawford. Signing with the Celts for the short term is a big risk for Crawford. He's already 31 years old. So he's going to want to get the best deal as this might be his last big contract.

You are probably right......but he made 11 mill last year...not going to see that again, and he said he would be interested in coming here.  JRich made 14.......he's not going to see that again, either.  How about Rashard Lewis?  Maybe PHO will cut Pietrus?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

That center position will be very tough to fill, won't it?  There are very few who are decent and don't require lots of money or multi-year contracts.   

Danny has his work cut out for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

BEST REALISTIC CENTER OPTIONS FOR CELTICS:

1. Dan Gadzurek
    2. Semih Erden
    3. Aaron Grey

(did I spell any of these guys names right ?)

DONT TRADE RAY ALLEN, GIVE HIM A 2 YEAR EXTENSION !

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation : True. That's why I kept saying I prefer not having a season this year. I say prefer because it's very unrealistic to expect all the players to survive one season without pay.

But not having a season is a moot point now. The question now is what does Danny do? I think he'll keep JON, sign a journeyman center like Gray, and Doc will play a lot of small ball. Green's minutes should go way up!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

BRING BACK LEON
    BRING BACK LEON
    BRING BACK LEON!!!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Not true, Fierce. The Warriors version of small ball is ineffective. But, the Spurs and Heat played it very effectively last year. Duncan sat a LOT of minutes and the Heat never had a center (Joe Anthony is NOT a legit center). We can play JON 25 mins, play Green at both power forward and small forward, give Johnson some minutes, etc. Send me some positive vibes, man. Don't keep saying nothing works. Let's talk about some possibilities of what might work. What would u do as Coach and as GM to help the C's this year while maintaining that great flexibility for next year?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Not true, Fierce. The Warriors version of small ball is ineffective. But, the Spurs and Heat played it very effectively last year. Duncan sat a LOT of minutes and the Heat never had a center (Joe Anthony is NOT a legit center). We can play JON 25 mins, play Green at both power forward and small forward, give Johnson some minutes, etc. Send me some positive vibes, man. Don't keep saying nothing works. Let's talk about some possibilities of what might work. What would u do as Coach and as GM to help the C's this year while maintaining that great flexibility for next year
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

He told you,  s---can the whole season......LOL!!  HA HA

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics' Salary Cap Situation : Duncan and the Spurs are not considered small. Duncan is considered as the best PF in NBA history. Every time Duncan won there was always another 7-footer in the rotation. In 1999 and 2003 it was David Robinson, 2005 it was Nesterovic and Mohammed, and 2007 Oberto and Elson.  The Heat didn't win a championship because Joel Anthony and Bosh were no match for Dirk and Chandler. Again, small ball failed. We've already seen what KG can do without Shaq and Perk. There's no excuse for going 0-0 from the FT line in Games 1 and 2 against the Heat in the 2nd round of the playoffs. And we already saw what Jeff Green can do at PF when he was at OKC. The only positive I see this season is being able to watch our Big 3, Rondo, Jeff Green, and JaJuan Johnson. I'm not expecting the Celts to get to the ECF or Finals this season. But I'm really looking forward to the 2012 NBA Draft and the free-agent bonanza of 2012. 

So let's examine these facts - Duncan was the only man on the team over 6'11" and that sounds like what team (CELTS!!).  They had a Barkely like power forward spelling Duncan last year (Blair) and had the best or second best record in the league.  In the last year Duncan won a championship, Elson and Oberto were no where to be found.  The reason they won was Manu and Tony.  Everyone knows that and Tony was recognized as MVP! 

The Heat did not win the championship last year but they got to the finals with a chance.  That's bad?????  I'd take that again this year any day!!  Small ball got them to the finals and you're knocking that?    Everyone else in the sports world is recognizing how close they got.  Moreover, the Heat didn't lose because their Center was the problem.  They lost because Dirk (Power forward) and Jason Terry + JJ Berea were killing them.  Chandler helped but he was only about the 4th or 5th reason they won.  Again, small ball (good power forward, good shooters, great D, some missed shots by your opponent) was successful.

Fierce, man, come on.  You gotta give someone some credit and stop knocking every team and every solution.  The Heat were a VERY successful team last year and we all cannot deny that.  Big ball was the Lakers and they lost big time.  I'm not knocking big ball (I'd love to have a dominant center)....but its not the only way to win.  And while I want a championship, I first want the CHANCE to win a championship (ie. get to the Conf Finals and the NBA Finals).  Playing Garnett with Green and Green with someone like BBD could help us get there so that we keep JON's minutes to a minimum.  Small ball for about 25 minutes of the game could really help this team keep its older guys on the bench and rested.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Fierce,

check out the stats for last year for the Spurs.  Look at the height of their players, the amount of minutes Duncan played vs the amount Blair and other smaller players played.

My point is that there were not a big team.  My point is not that this always wins a championship.  What it does is rest people like Garnett and JON so that we get a decent record during the season AND we get to then play a larger lineup deeper into the playoffs.  We also build up our bench players' experience by playing them more.

I'd love to get a center but as you know - there are not a lot of centers in our price range for this year.  So, we need a workable solution if we can't get a decent back up center.

Sections
Shortcuts