Celtics should hang on to Doc for dear life

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Celtics should hang on to Doc for dear life

I'm mostly a lurker here. I enjoy the discussions and insight and rarely post. But I have to put in a word in defense for Doc Rivers given the frequent calls on this board for firing one of the Association's finest coaches (I personally think he may well be the best). Sure, Doc has had some solid, veteran talent to work with since arriving in Boston, but multiple finals appearances (including a 17th banner with a newly-manufactured lineup -- never an easy task), multiple, unexpectedly deep playoff runs, high level play-drawing expertise and the respect of players, owners and officials aren't simply a quirk: the dude's an excellent coach.

That said, nobody is beyond criticism, and everybody has room for improvement -- so sure, I disagree with his moves and his rotations from time to time. But if Boston finally has arrived at the time to begin a serious re-building effort, the Celtics would be hugely fortunate to hang on to Doc's services for as long as possible. Let's not kid ourselves: Boston's not the easiest sell in the NBA to high level talent. I think the supposed indifference among younger players for the franchise's glorious history is probably a bit exaggerated -- in my view most great players are students of the game, and that means an awareness of history. But history doesn't compete with the chance to win rings. And if you're going to put up with a cold climate, the marketing opportunities in New York or Chicago are obviously stronger.

Like any team the Celtics should try and leverage every advantage they have. They don't have the weather of Miami or LA. They don't have the market size of Chicago or New York. But, in addition to a heck of a lot of history and a tradition of winning, Boston has a coach a lot of guys would like to play for. I hope Danny and the owners carefully consider this fact in their rebuilding efforts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Number6Fan. Show Number6Fan's posts

Re: Celtics should hang on to Doc for dear life

I agree with you.  But please recognize that this board, like most of the web, doesn't reflect an accurate cross section of the public.  These things tend to be dominated by people with axes to grind, people who crave attention, and outliers.  Without naming names, you can identify all of the above here.  The reasonable middle tends to be drowned out (as it does in US politics).  So don't freak out at what you read here.  Most Celtic fans do not believe that Doc or Danny or Rondo is the Antichrist.  And most people don't post all day everyday just for the sake of being present.  :-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Well written, well said. Doc is a huge asset to the Celtics organization and if he is willing to commit to rebuilding the franchise in the post Garnett era, then we will be fortunate to have him. I believe he has indicated this much. Number6 is right, I hope. this board is not a true representation of real Celtics and basketball fans. Rondo is a special player, Danny is an above average GM and Doc is an exceptional coach. Go Celtics!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

We must all remember the "what have you done for me lately" attitude that many possess.  Not winning a championship every year is kind of normal.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Well written, well said. Doc is a huge asset to the Celtics organization and if he is willing to commit to rebuilding the franchise in the post Garnett era, then we will be fortunate to have him.

Thanks. And I'm certainly not saying there aren't other solid coaches out there, or that Doc's management of games is the key to victory. I'm just focusing on the narrow issue of Boston's recruitment/rebuilding efforts. My sense is Doc Rivers is coach that players want to play for. If you're trying to rebuild and re-stock your franchise -- and it's obvious the Celtics have finally arrived at that point -- that's a huge plus. Also, imagine the miserable situation the Celtics could potentially be in next season if both Pierce and KG are gone AND there's a lack of a solid, consistent coaching situation, That's essentially what the Lakers have experienced this season. No thanks. In my view consistency and continuity are hugely underrated virtues in sports. Just look at the Patriots' success under Belichik. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LakerDynasty. Show LakerDynasty's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

There is someone here who brags about having lots of money and all he does is bash Doc Rivers everyday, including Sundays.

He even said replace Doc Rivers with Jeff Van Gundy. That led to one Celtic fan saying he will stop being a Celtic fan if the Celts replace Doc with Jeff Van Gundy.

HAHAHA

Is this the same guy that ranted on poor Rondo relentlessly and said he was quite a BRICK LAYER?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

12 posts of total garbage and counting

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts