Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

It appears the Celtics have signed Von Wafer to a one year deal. Not sure what this  means to their interest in Rudy F.

http://espn.go.com/blog/BostonCeltics/post/_/id/4676024/report-cs-sign-von-wafer

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

Could be worse...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I can't see him doing anything more than battling for a spot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

This is good.  He is a no-conscious scorer.  I think he may be exactly what we need.  Sign Shaq, DONE!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

I agree he can definately score. We're getting a hungry guy too. Looks like RF could be out the picture.

That may be it if not S&Ts done for Shaq.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Thats what they are reporting on Hoopsworld.com he took the VM contract and my guess Rudy Fernandez isn't coming to the Celtics. I still think they need a b/u Center and ShaQ would be a good fit. That's a ShaQ call though as I can't see Cleveland working a deal to facil;itate his going to one of their top competitors better.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from uNpReTtiEr. Show uNpReTtiEr's posts

Wafer and Rudy can both shoot, can jump, can dunk, can score. I think Rudy is the better shooter, the Wafer is better at getting to the basket.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

Getting to the basket is much more of a priority in my opinion, and hopefully Wafer can do that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShepherdCall. Show ShepherdCall's posts

He is an offensive firebrand who had a little of a headcase.  I tust and hope that his year overseas has mellowed him out.  I think getting in with a veteran group and Doc Rivers can finish the reform.  He can shot and score off thte dribble. 

I have to trust that Danny and Doc know what they are doing. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Why am I not excited?

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

Does anybody know if he passed his physical?? That was an issue in the past with his back as to why he was waived by a couple of teams.

I'm okay with Von, much better than Fernandez in my opinion. Obviously Doc and Danny knew Fernandez is a bust.

The Portland TrailBlazers probably couldn't GIVE that guy away.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Well, we need someone who can get to the basket.  It is what we have been lacking the last few years.  A person who can break their man down and get to the rim for a dunk, floater, or pull up for a jumper.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal:
    [QUOTE]There's no more room for Fernandez if that's the case. That's a presumptuous statement . Is Erden's contract guaranteed? Can the C's trade three players for two with Sheed's contract?
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

Sure, they could.  But I don't think they will. Danny has said repeatedly that the team needs a shooter and another big.  We now have the shooter with Wafer.    A second unit of Nate, Wafer, Daniels, BBD and JON can certainly have enough offense while the starters rest.  That is a deep team.  IF they want to trade, I think they have to wait now, isn't there a 30 day window or something?  That precludes trading Nate, Daniels or Wafer.  They could still get Fernandez, too, but I don't think so at this point!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

[QUOTE]Does anybody know if he passed his physical?? That was an issue in the past with his back as to why he was waived by a couple of teams.  x x x
    Posted by Waynestarr[/QUOTE]
    Good question. I read that he failed a physical and was unable to rejoin the Rockets last season. I'm certain that his signing is conditioned on his passing a physical.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Bird and Cowens,
    We have opposite instincts Von Wafer and Shaq sound like terrible additions.   Shaq has  had the effect of being an anchor around the  last two teams he played for.  The Suns and Cavaliars are happy his act is gone. The Celtics with all their aging superstars will not mesh well with Shaq.  Still I hope if we do add these guys I am wrong.  It is anything but impressive at this point in my opinion.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Wafer is a good player. Better than Daniels IMO. Wafer is 6'5 and weighs 210 lbs. He's good sized for a 2 guard and if he defends well, he can play the 3 spot. He's only 25 years old. His best season was 2008-2009. He played 20 minutes per game. He averaged almost 10 pts. per game in 20 minutes average mpg. His shooting % was 45% overall with 39% 3 pt. shooting. 2008-2009 was the only season he played significant minutes in the NBA and it was with the Rockets.
       I still think that Ainge moved too quick on Daniels. Now he's signed. I'd rather see minutes go to Bradley at the 2 spot, with Wafer backing up Pierce.
        With the signing of Wafer, I think we can assume the Delonte West is out of the picture for the C's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]Bird and Cowens, We have opposite instincts Von Wafer and Shaq sound like terrible additions.   Shaq has  had the effect of being an anchor around the  last two teams he played for.  The Suns and Cavaliars are happy his act is gone. The Celtics with all their aging superstars will not mesh well with Shaq.  Still I hope if we do add these guys I am wrong.  It is anything but impressive at this point in my opinion.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

I respect that, but I think just the opposite for Shaq.  I think this experience has humbled him a little, and he is on a team of veterans.  He only had Nash before to keep him in line.  Don't  think MeBron or Jamison could keep him in line, but KG and RA can - let's hope!  Wafer?  Jury is still out!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

It's a good signing. He's definitely one of the best offensive players that was available. DWest is certainly no longer an option.

Now, though, I still see two spots available and two needs. We still have a need for a big SF, defender who can shoot (Jarvis Hayes perhaps), and a center (Shaq or Boone).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenpride32. Show greenpride32's posts

Perhaps the asking price on Rudy was too high.  Honestly I'm a little indifferent between Rudy and Von, so I see adding either as a positive.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

I surely hope Wafer can play some kind of D, or is he just offense-minded? He'll get plenty of minutes because the days that Quis played 81 games are ages ago.