Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal:
    I just don't understand why Danny would sign a guy without having worked him out. A player whose ability, health and skills have been questioned by others since he's been gone from the NBA. It just doesn't fit Danny's MO, signing a guy out of the blue like that. Why would he spend days negotiating with Portland's GM, have the GM indicate that it's on hold till he reviews it with their coach this Sunday and not wait for a discision till then. Something doesn't smell right ... but we'll know soon enough. Physical exam, media greeting and C's jersey and all.
    Posted by Mployee8

Of course you would never understand Danny Ainge. He's not a Keystone kinda guy. Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConnectingRod. Show ConnectingRod's posts

PS: I'm not buying into this signing until I see Danny on stage with Wafer holding a C's jersey ... go ahead, call me skeptical!
    Posted by Mployee8

That's the problem with you. If you didn't predict it you won't buy it. Why can't you just accept the fact that you're really not an NBA GM. 

You act as if you're always right when all your predictions didn't come true. Maybe you'll hit the jackpot with Josh Boone. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

I read where several people have written in saying that Von Wafer has had health problems. Does anyone out there have any idea of what they were?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

It's going to be a battle to see who wins more time Wafer or Quis? Quis should have the upper hand but I'm telling you now Wafer is a hungry dude. If Quis can't lock down the position by the start of camp I would look to move him. We can't go through another season of half-A production from the backup SF

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

It's going to be a battle to see who wins more time Wafer or Quis? Quis should have the upper hand but I'm telling you now Wafer is a hungry dude. If Quis can't lock down the position by the start of camp I would look to move him. We can't go through another season of half-A production from the backup SF
    Posted by BiasLewis

Wafer would win that battle hands down. He's kind of "iffy" on the defensive end, but he can explode at anytime on offense.

When that kid starts hitting shots, NO ONE can stop him when he's on.

I was watching the Rockets play the Celtics the other year here in Houston when Von torched the Celtics AT HOME with dagger 3's, and the Rockets won that game.

When he's on, I've seen him score 15 to 20 points in about 10 minutes!

That's what we really need off the bench is instant offense to hold leads.

Sorry Quis, you just LOST your spot!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

He will have to pass a physical.  Every NBA player must take and pass a physical.  If he doesn't pass, his contract will be voided.  I've heard that Von Wafer has a history of back problems.  The Rockets wanted to resign him, that's a good sign.  It says he showed them NBA talent and ability.  The fact that they didn't think Von Wafer was worth waiting for back problems to heal is not. 

Von Wafer is a gunner.  He will shoot without hesitation and from anywhere.  His focus on defense is on-and-off. 

He also has a reputation for being a headcase.  No problem, KG will just have to make him cry too.

In his last year in the NBA, 08-09, he shot 45% from the floor, 39% from 3. He shoots 75% from the line. He's a career 41% shooter, but his numbers have climbed steadily just about every year, so it's looking like he's hitting his stride.  His first two years in the NBA, with the Lakers and the Clippers, were awful.  Couldn't throw the ball in the Pacific.  Spent a year in D-league and seemed to find himself.

Since he played in Greece last year, I'm having trouble finding scouting reports on him.

In 36mpg, he averaged 17.9ppg in his last NBA year with Houston. That's by far his best.  A big improvement over previous years.  A positive assist-to-turnover ratio.  Nice to know you're not throwing the ball away by giving it to him.

Camp is looking like this:

Rondo/Nate
    Ray/Wafer/Bradley/Janning(?)
    Pierce/Q/Sims(?)
    KG/Davis/Harangody
    JO/Erden/Perk/Wallace(?)

That's 16. At least 1, if not 2, are gone by November.

bob

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

I surely hope Wafer can play some kind of D, or is he just offense-minded? He'll get plenty of minutes because the days that Quis played 81 games are ages ago.
    Posted by MichBelgium

I guess he has played it at times. Not sure Rudy was considered a stud on D either. I guess at this stage adding any player will probably come with "baggage"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

He will have to pass a physical.  Every NBA player must take and pass a physical.  If he doesn't pass, his contract will be voided.  I've heard that Von Wafer has a history of back problems.  The Rockets wanted to resign him, that's a good sign.  It says he showed them NBA talent and ability.  The fact that they didn't think Von Wafer was worth waiting for back problems to heal is not.  Von Wafer is a gunner.  He will shoot without hesitation and from anywhere.  His focus on defense is on-and-off.  He also has a reputation for being a headcase.  No problem, KG will just have to make him cry too. In his last year in the NBA, 08-09, he shot 45% from the floor, 39% from 3. He shoots 75% from the line. He's a career 41% shooter, but his numbers have climbed steadily just about every year, so it's looking like he's hitting his stride.  His first two years in the NBA, with the Lakers and the Clippers, were awful.  Couldn't throw the ball in the Pacific.  Spent a year in D-league and seemed to find himself. Since he played in Greece last year, I'm having trouble finding scouting reports on him. In 36mpg, he averaged 17.9ppg in his last NBA year with Houston. That's by far his best.  A big improvement over previous years.  A positive assist-to-turnover ratio.  Nice to know you're not throwing the ball away by giving it to him. Camp is looking like this: Rondo/Nate Ray/Wafer/Bradley/Janning(?) Pierce/Q/Sims(?) KG/Davis/Harangody JO/Erden/Perk/Wallace(?) That's 16. At least 1, if not 2, are gone by November. bob
    Posted by bobheckler

Don't forget Oliver and Tony G. My guess is that Janning will not come. He would have acccepted by now if he was serious

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Don't forget Oliver and Tony G. My guess is that Janning will not come. He would have acccepted by now if he was serious
    Posted by HarryMangurian

Harry,

I would understand if Janning doesn't come now.  With the signing of Von Wafer to a guaranteed contract, where's his playing time going to come from?  He's probably hoping for an invite from Phoenix.  I'd like to see him come here.

I didn't forget about them, I don't think they'll be invited.  Neither showed much.  In Gaffney's defense, they didn't feed him the ball much and now that we've resigned Daniels, he's redundant for a defender at 3.  Oliver Lafayette was a turnover machine.  If he can't take care of the ball against summer leaguers he's not going to against NBA players.  Still, they might be invited just to round out the competition.  I'd be shocked if they make the team.

bob

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Harry, I would understand if Janning doesn't come now.  With the signing of Von Wafer to a guaranteed contract, where's his playing time going to come from?  He's probably hoping for an invite from Phoenix.  I'd like to see him come here. I didn't forget about them, I don't think they'll be invited.  Neither showed much.  In Gaffney's defense, they didn't feed him the ball much and now that we've resigned Daniels, he's redundant for a defender at 3.  Oliver Lafayette was a turnover machine.  If he can't take care of the ball against summer leaguers he's not going to against NBA players.  Still, they might be invited just to round out the competition.  I'd be shocked if they make the team. bob
    Posted by bobheckler

Hi Bob!

I agree with you that they are probably the odd men out.  I guess Gaffney showed something on D but I agree with you that Sims would be a better choice as he showed he can also score . But I think they have already been invited so will be here.

I was hoping for Janning too. He could have been a possible piece for the future. I guess it is still possible but he is probably thinking this is no longer a good option

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobheckler. Show bobheckler's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Hi Bob! I agree with you that they are probably the odd men out.  I guess Gaffney showed something on D but I agree with you that Sims would be a better choice as he showed he can also score . But I think they have already been invited so will be here. I was hoping for Janning too. He could have been a possible piece for the future. I guess it is still possible but he is probably thinking this is no longer a good option
    Posted by HarryMangurian

Harry,

The funny thing is that if Janning had committed to come to camp quickly, they might not have signed Von Wafer.  I know that Danny was very high on Janning by the time he was leaving Orlando to go to Vegas and tried to talk him out of going.

I get the sense that Danny's feeling a little gun-shy after getting blindsided by Tony Allen's departure and by Eddie House going to Miami for an affordable price.  He's not playing a waiting game anymore than he has to.  If Rudy's price is too high to begin with, he's not going to slow down to negotiate a better one.  A bird in the hand...

bob

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Harry, The funny thing is that if Janning had committed to come to camp quickly, they might not have signed Von Wafer.  I know that Danny was very high on Janning by the time he was leaving Orlando to go to Vegas and tried to talk him out of going. I get the sense that Danny's feeling a little gun-shy after getting blindsided by Tony Allen's departure and by Eddie House going to Miami for an affordable price.  He's not playing a waiting game anymore than he has to.  If Rudy's price is too high to begin with, he's not going to slow down to negotiate a better one.  A bird in the hand... bob    
    Posted by bobheckler

I agree with everything you said. Seems like we have had to settle this year

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

I really don't care too much who they sign for this 2 guard/wing guy position...what they need more than anything is another big man to tide them over...don't forget it may take an entire second year for perk to get back to close to what he was previously...THEY NEED ANOTHER BIG!
    Posted by jfaust1954

Yes sir!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

Wafer and Daniels can both play the 2-3, and Robinson and Avery can play the 1-2, so all our backup needs for now are addressed minus one more big man. We need to get Shaq if we want a serious shot at #18 in the next 1-2 years.........no question about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from balticprince. Show balticprince's posts

Nate Robinson is 5'9" and cannot play the 2. Nope, nada, never.

Wafer and Daniels can both play the 2-3, and Robinson and Avery can play the 1-2, so all our backup needs for now are addressed minus one more big man. We need to get Shaq if we want a serious shot at #18 in the next 1-2 years.........no question about it.
    Posted by SuperNtrain

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Question for all the capologists here - especially Fierce. Suppose Portland wants a #1 draft pick and a SG to replace Rudy but another team doesn't have a SG whose salary matches up to Rudy's but they do have a few roster players whose salaries can be used in combination with each other or other signed players and draft picks. So team B sends it's 1) 2011 #1 draft pick 2) one of the minimum salary players on their roster along with 3) a SG just signed for the VM who has no trade value to the receiving team in a trade (just as the draft pick has no value) to team P for their SG. Per the CBA: Minimum Player Salary Exception: This exception also allows minimum salary players to be acquired via trade and teams trading away minimum-salary players do count their salaries (the portion not paid by the league) as outgoing salary when comparing salaries for trade. Note: I see no restriction or holding period on a team seeking to trade their newly acquired VM player as exists for other FA signings. Someone provide a definitive rule regarding the trading of a VM player just acquired - can he be traded at any time or must he be held for 30 days or 3 months etc. Provide your source as well - Thnx! PS: I'm not buying into this signing until I see Danny on stage with Wafer holding a C's jersey ... go ahead, call me skeptical!
    Posted by Mployee8

-

I say he trade bait.

So coluour me skeptical on dis one two.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

I wish he was trade bait. Sadly he is all we could get.  The Celtics were not able to find any room to add anyone of consequence. The Von Wafer was a disappointment in Greece and before that in Dallas.  He is a long long shot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CVD2312. Show CVD2312's posts

Good luck with this guy. Wafer is a headcase and a cancer. He's caused trouble at every stop he's had. Have fun Celtic fans!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laker4eva. Show laker4eva's posts

Von Wafer and Nate on the same team....lmao....good luck with that one!  Tongue out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Good luck with this guy. Wafer is a headcase and a cancer. He's caused trouble at every stop he's had. Have fun Celtic fans!
    Posted by CVD2312

I think you have him confused with JR Rider!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I wish VW the utmost success. He has the potential for it at least. Unlike MD!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

The only way MD will surprise me is if he shoots +45% fg, for 9 ppg for 20 mpg and - 1.5 TO and + 1.5 spg.

Sections
Shortcuts