Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal

MD is currently their backup point guard.  That's why he was resigned.  Nate Robinson is not and will probably never be a point guard.

MD is a smart player, but he has two glaring weaknesses: he can't shoot from the outside and he can't stay healthy.  TA had the same weaknesses, but had a major strength-- the ability to defend 3 positions very well-- that Daniels does not have.

As for Wafer, he was cheap.  He played well that one year in Houston, but it is not a good sign that he was cut last year in Greece.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal:
    MD is currently their backup point guard.  That's why he was resigned.  Nate Robinson is not and will probably never be a point guard. MD is a smart player, but he has two glaring weaknesses: he can't shoot from the outside and he can't stay healthy.  TA had the same weaknesses, but had a major strength-- the ability to defend 3 positions very well-- that Daniels does not have. As for Wafer, he was cheap.  He played well that one year in Houston, but it is not a good sign that he was cut last year in Greece.
    Posted by jm02130

I respectfully disagree.  Danny said Quis lost his confidence last year, and hence his place in the playoff rotation (in addition to his injuries). They tried him at backup PG last season, and it did not work.  Robinson and Bradley are the backups to Rondo.  Rondo will be playig the most mins on the team anyway, I would guess 38-40, leaving 8 to 10 mins for Nate/Bradley at that spot.  Daniels wil be backing up PP on the wing.  They THOUGHT he could run the point in the half-court sets last year, and he is a decent ballhandler, but this year's second unit, I'm quite sure, will be told to run.....and run some more.  Nate is better for that than Daniels!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jm02130. Show jm02130's posts

Nate is a one trick pony. He can't run the offense and neither could House.

Let's hope that Bradley develops quickly. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

VW and MD and the rest should get plenty of minutes, PP, RA, and KG can't play high minutes through a whole season any more, and fully expect them to miss some time with nagging injuries just like the last 3 years, so - players who can step up and fill a starter role for a couple weeks here, a month there - are needed.  I don't know anything about this guy VW, but I like the idea of a guy with something to prove who can score off the bench.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

MD is currently their backup point guard.  That's why he was resigned.  Nate Robinson is not and will probably never be a point guard. MD is a smart player, but he has two glaring weaknesses: he can't shoot from the outside and he can't stay healthy.  TA had the same weaknesses, but had a major strength-- the ability to defend 3 positions very well-- that Daniels does not have. As for Wafer, he was cheap.  He played well that one year in Houston, but it is not a good sign that he was cut last year in Greece.
    Posted by jm02130

MD is the backup PG? And your getting this where? Need to keep the idiots off the board...........Nate Robinson IS the backup PG.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SuperNtrain. Show SuperNtrain's posts

Nate is a one trick pony. He can't run the offense and neither could House. Let's hope that Bradley develops quickly. 
    Posted by jm02130
    You know basketball I see. Yeah I would call someone who is a very good passer, good outside shooter,even has a good midrange jumpshot and can drive well to the hoop a one trick pony.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXQLPR0laNw
    whatever this guys deal is he has some skills, at .8M, seems like a great deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

It is my understanding that Wafer passed his physical with Dallas this past spring, and was signed to a 10-day contract. 

The past health issue was directly related to his back (bulging disc). According to unverified sources, the bulging disc is the reason he failed both physicals with Memphis and Houston, in late 2009 and early 2010 (post Europe).

When healthy this guy is good. He was having a break out year in 2008 / 2009 (Rockets) before he decided to bolt for Europe. He is FIERY!!

If Wafer remains healthy and reports to camp in shape, this may be the sleeper FA signing of the 2010-2011 season. Way to go DA!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I hope the report of bulging back discs is false. That's a serious issue. People that I know who've had bulging back discs have had surgery to correct it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

Is this all that Dany Anige has done in  the offseason, sign two rejects that no one else wants?  This Von Wafer stiff was a reject that the Lakers let go several years ago!  He has played in a TOTAL  OF 109 games!  On top of this the Celtic staff is banking on a rookie to be part of the rotation?????  Sign Scal to a three year deal to complete the trifecta.  Can't wait for the Heat to run circles on the old men from Boston. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Is this all that Dany Anige has done in  the offseason, sign two rejects that no one else wants?  This Von Wafer stiff was a reject that the Lakers let go several years ago!  He has played in a TOTAL  OF 109 games!  On top of this the Celtic staff is banking on a rookie to be part of the rotation?????  Sign Scal to a three year deal to complete the trifecta.  Can't wait for the Heat to run circles on the old men from Boston. 
    Posted by kobedaman

And,of course, because he played and stunk for the lakers, he can never be any good.  People will be saying the same thing about Derrick Caracter in a few years.  He will go play in Europe, come back, sign with another team, and lakers fans will say, "He's terrible, we let him go a long time ago."  Wafer was bad with the lakers, now he's not..............................know what IS funny?  Matt Barnes and Ron Artest "sharing" the same spot.  Now THAT's funny.

This guy used to be kobeismrnba - he can't take a hint, please ban him again!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : What's really funny is that Ratliff is far better than Mbenga, last seasons Bynum backup...so the team that just spanked yours in the finals got better at center, PG (Blake /> Farmar) and SG (Barnes /> Brown).  BWAHAHAHAHA!
    Posted by MagnificentBastard

Typical lakers fan.  A four point win in a Game 7 is a spanking?  RIGHT.  131-92, now that's a spanking!

Theo Ratliff will play about as much as Mbenga, that is a wash.  Blake is better than Farmar, but Fisher and koME are both a year older and slower.  Barnes doesn't replace Brown, he replaces Walton and Sasha.  Played for ORL last year and started. Wasn't asked back...8 teams in 8 years.....oh yeah, real upgrade!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Well I was wondering... If the C's sign Von Wafer and they look to get shaq or Kwame for the minimum what will happen with Sheed's contract then? Does that mean he's expected to come back? Or are they still trying to do a sign and trade with his contract for one of those centers?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

Wafer can shoot you back into a game in 2 minutes and shoot you out of a game in 2 minutes. Wafer has game but he doesn't have stamina which is why he has been with so maqny teams. This could be a non factor or out he could be our Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson, come in for 10 minutes and score 15-20 pts and go sit back down.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Typical lakers fan.  A four point win in a Game 7 is a spanking?  RIGHT.  131-92, now that's a spanking! Theo Ratliff will play about as much as Mbenga, that is a wash.  Blake is better than Farmar, but Fisher and koME are both a year older and slower.  Barnes doesn't replace Brown, he replaces Walton and Sasha.  Played for ORL last year and started. Wasn't asked back...8 teams in 8 years.....oh yeah, real upgrade!
    Posted by BirdandCowens

There's just no way you can keep from replying to them is there??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

If Sheed does not show up to training camp in early October, his contract will become null and void as Sheed will be in breach of contract. "I'm not an attorney." I read this somewhere the past few weeks. I can't recall where though.
       Therefore the C's have less than two months to trade Sheed's contract.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Von Wafer may prove some of us wrong, but I doubt it. This guy seems very limited based on his recent history.  He has one good year and the last two have been awful.  I ask why this guy we need someone reliable.  I predict he won't be a positive. Of course I hope I am wrong.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : What's really funny is that Ratliff is far better than Mbenga, last seasons Bynum backup...so the team that just spanked yours in the finals got better at center, PG (Blake /> Farmar) and SG (Barnes /> Brown).  BWAHAHAHAHA!

Spanked? You have got to be kidding?!! The Lakers were saved by the refs and everybody knows it. They truly are the Fakers because the C's put it to them and the league couldn't stand the thought of the NBA's darlings losing to the big bad Celtics. That's why the refs ensured that the Lakers would win with all of their bogus calls on Boston as well as their ignoring obvious violations from the Lakers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Von Wafer may prove some of us wrong, but I doubt it. This guy seems very limited based on his recent history.  He has one good year and the last two have been awful.  I ask why this guy we need someone reliable.  I predict he won't be a positive. Of course I hope I am wrong.
         The only season Wafer got to play significant minutes, he played very well. That was the season of 2008 and 2009 with Houston. It was also his most recent season in the NBA. I have a lot of optimism regarding Wafer. When I watched the Houston team of 2008 and 2009, I was very impressed by three young players they had. Those players were, Landry, Brooks and Wafer. Wafer just turned 25 years old a week ago. I say we should go into this season with an optimistic point of view.
    Posted by concord27

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal :  There's just no way you can keep from replying to them is there??
    Posted by kyceltic

Don't start with me.  I am hardly the only one that responded to him, and I'll respond to whomever I'd like - got that?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

You know nothing about basketball if you make a statement like... ratliff hasnt been anywhere decent for the past 4 to 5 yrs..  Id take
    Mbenga anytime.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal : Don't start with me.  I am hardly the only one that responded to him, and I'll respond to whomever I'd like - got that?
    Posted by BirdandCowens

Then you need to quit crying about all the laker trolls being on here all the time, because your responding to them only inforces their efforts to post on this forum.
    Or do you need Martini to explain it to you?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics sign Von Wafer to a one year deal :  Then you need to quit crying about all the laker trolls being on here all the time, because your responding to them only inforces their efforts to post on this forum. Or do you need Martini to explain it to you?
    Posted by kyceltic

Thanks, I shall aspire to be more like you when I grow up!

Sections
Shortcuts