Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser

Bleacher Report, Fox Sports, Sporting News amoung sports media outlets declaring that the Celtics along with New Jersey and Portland were the Biggest Trade Day Losers. I unforetunealy agree. And I'm sure there are the usual always sunny day posters in denial with excuses for nor being able to improve the team this year AND begin to rebuild for the future. And please don't give Danny credit for lying in wait for Kaman, which is far from probable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheNewGKDynasty. Show TheNewGKDynasty's posts

Re: Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser

Agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Portland is the biggest loser by dumping salary and getting a number pick 1 pick that is only protected in the top 3? I don't know about that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser:
    Bleacher Report, Fox Sports, Sporting News amoung sports media outlets declaring that the Celtics along with New Jersey and Portland were the Biggest Trade Day Losers. I unforetunealy agree. And I'm sure there are the usual always sunny day posters in denial with excuses for nor being able to improve the team this year AND begin to rebuild for the future. And please don't give Danny credit for lying in wait for Kaman, which is far from probable.
    Posted by elDunker2

HAHA, bleacher report is your source?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser:
    The biggest loser is anyone who thinks the Celtics lost.
    Posted by Kirk6

Very true!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

There is a reason those nimrods don't actually work in the NBA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Please explain how we improved our ability to compete this year and position for the future?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

they're going to wait and see how the buyouts shake out, 2Dunk. i closely follow the same team as you. there's no cause to be so stinkin' negative unless you just plain want to. where's the fun in that? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

They improved for the future by not giving up a first round pick in the deepest draft in recent memory.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Hey, i'm cheerful when its warranted. I'm realistic and will voice my opinion when I feel the tem I pay good money to watch does not make the right deisions imo, we have 3 wys to improve. Trade, draft and FA/buyout. We failed on one of hose option and there is no proof, only hope, that we will land someone that will help by 3/24. I'm angry that Danny was not able to swing a trade that made sense for both tems. There were opporunities based on other deals that went down.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

In response to "Re: Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser":
    They improved for the future by not giving up a first round pick in the deepest draft in recent memory. Posted by KillaCam2010
    Ohh PaLeeease. There is no guarantee any player in the draft is gonna help this team. Just look at draft history. There are more duds than success stories from first round picks. I would take a proven commodity over a complete guess every time. Keeping draft picks did not improve the team. We won't know that till next year. Draft picks are better for trade bait unless you have a top 5 pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

They improved for the future by not giving up a first round pick in the deepest draft in recent memory.
    Posted by KillaCam2010

As I mentioned on another thread, this draft was originally considered really deep but there are those who have said recently that this draft may not be as good as first thought.  

About half the guys drafted in the second half of the first round, are out of or barely hanging in the league five years out.  Draft Express

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OC-CeltsFan. Show OC-CeltsFan's posts

The question is, are we good enough as-is to win it all?   I say no.

Then why didn't we at least better our position for the future; Collect some young players or draft picks, as painful as it might be to break up the Big 3.  Ainge is a hypocrite, he's doing exactly what he said that Red shouldn't have.  Bird was right, when it's his turn to pull the trigger, he's not willing to do it.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

The question is, are we good enough as-is to win it all?   I say no. Then why didn't we at least better our position for the future; Collect some young players or draft picks, as painful as it might be to break up the Big 3.  Ainge is a hypocrite, he's doing exactly what he said that Red shouldn't have.  Bird was right, when it's his turn to pull the trigger, he's not willing to do it.
    Posted by OC-CeltsFan

He probably did not get offered the same quality deal as Red was offered.  Detlef Schrempf and Sam Perkins for Kevn McHale.  If he was, he would have taken it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I dont think any deal DA made was gonna make us much better than we are right now. Certainly, we wouldnt be a serious contender for the title no matter who we got.  So, DA stayed pat.  If we pick up someone it will just be to fill a spot due to injury...just like last year.  How much will it help?? Probably not much if at all.

How much did it help last year?? And now we're what, 20 games from end of season.  It would be the same zombie play like the others, too late to learn the system, Doc yanking them for missing assginements  etc. Has everyone forgot all the players we picked up late last year?

Doing nothing is fine with me unless its a steal. Next season we have lots of $$ and 2 first round picks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

Maybe this is why Ainge didn't make any trades?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/15/danny-ainge-drawing-ire-of-at-least-one-nba-gm/

“I’m through,” the unnamed GM told FOX Sports’ Sam Amico. “Done dealing with (Celtics’) Danny Ainge. Bleep him.”

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser : +1
    Posted by Fiercest34

The Celtics won in LA against the Clippers and then in Golden State. The idea that the team was clicking probably inhibited Ainge just enough not to be as aggressive as he should have been.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

You are probably right Concord.  Hopefully Kamen will be walking thru those doors.  If it were me paying the tab I would go ahead and sign Johnson just to make sure we get someone big.  He is athletic and runs the floor.  He is also know for his defense since he doesn't have a offense.  He would be a good help defender, swatting away shot from the weakside.  With him and Steamer and KG we would have some good shot blockers.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elven 32. Show Elven 32's posts

Maybe this is why Ainge didn't make any trades? http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/15/danny-ainge-drawing-ire-of-at-least-one-nba-gm/ “I’m through,” the unnamed GM told FOX Sports’ Sam Amico . “Done dealing with (Celtics’) Danny Ainge. Bleep him.”
    Posted by Mark from Ct

Great article Mark. Typical of Ainge, he well and truly over-estimated the value of the Ancient 3 and a pg that can't shoot. That's the real reason Boston could do nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

ElDunker, I think you have to consider the source when you cite someone who says the Celtics, along with Portland, were the biggest trade day loser.

If you check out:  http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/15/nba-trade-deadline-report-cards-portland-gets-an-a/

The Celtics got an "Inc" but Portland got an "A" for the reasons below.

Portland Trail Blazers: I love what they did today. Love it. This is not a very good team but they have some nice parts such as LaMarcus Aldridge and Nicolas Batum. So they got rid of the expensive parts and brought back expiring deals. With today’s moves they will be about $25 million under the salary cap this summer (assuming Jamal Crawford opts out as expected) — they can re-sign Batum and still get a max deal free agent. Plus they have the Nets’ first-round pick this draft. That, my friends, is how you rebuild on the fly. The only thing that would have made it better is finding a taker for Raymond Felton. Grade: A.

I think you have to wait it out and see because everyone has their opinion of the trades.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics singled out as Biggest Trsde Day Loser : Great article Mark. Typical of Ainge, he well and truly over-estimated the value of the Ancient 3 and a pg that can't shoot. That's the real reason Boston could do nothing.
    Posted by Elven 32

Elven you like talking with yourself don't you.  Mark and Elven great post you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Well Ronnie rondo had decided if they do not guard him then he will not guard them and his mood swings can occur on the floor swing from offense to defense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Please explain how we improved our ability to compete this year and position for the future?"

OK, sure. We improved by not making a bad trade and not taking on bad contracts. Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something dumb for desperate reasons. Ainge was working the phones like crazy and yes, it would have been better if he had pulled the trigger, but remember, the trades he was looking at involved either Ray or Paul Pierce - those were the guys other teams wanted - so any trade Ainge made would have made our team worse, not better, something folks seem to have trouble understanding. It would have been a trade for the future. It's not like we had a sixth man or young player who was on the end of the bench people wanted. We would have had to trade value. The Ray deals involved young players and draft picks - would have made us worse this year, better in the future. 

When Ainge couldn't pull a deal that he knew the fan base would be good with, given that it would have to be something great to justify trading Allen and saying bye to this season, he held off. I wish a trade had gone through but I'm really glad he didn't make a trade just for trade's sake. 

Finally, you have already condemned Ainge for not being able to sign someone when KG and Ray come off the books. You don't know that. Yes, it doesn't look super good from here, but how about waiting until that plays out before condeming a strategy that has not been completed yet? 

Sections
Shortcuts