Celtics State of the Cap

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Re: Celtics State of the Cap

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some here think if Hump's 12m expires, the Celts will have 10-11m in cap space to sign a free-agent.

Not true.

Right now the Celts have 10 players under contract for next season.

This doesn't include Avery Bradley and the incoming 1st round picks.

The projected salary cap next season is 62m.

Celts have 50.1m in total salaries for 10 players.

But again, this doesn't include Avery Bradley and the 2 1st rounders.

That's why I keep saying Celts should get something for Hump on or before the trade deadline because the Celts will get nothing once Hump becomes an unrestricted free-agent.

[/QUOTE]

Fierce, the Celts have $48M for 8 players.  They will have less if Joel Anthony opts out or gets bought out.  No point in including AB's qualifying offer and then binning him as a free agent.

After that I agree that there is not enough room for a free agent maneuver.  That is why I am waiting to see if Danny can drop Jeff Green and Bass's salaries.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prakash's comment:

[QUOTE]

Fierce, the Celts have $48M for 8 players.  They will have less if Joel Anthony opts out or gets bought out.  No point in including AB's qualifying offer and then binning him as a free agent.

After that I agree that there is not enough room for a free agent maneuver.  That is why I am waiting to see if Danny can drop Jeff Green and Bass's salaries.

[/QUOTE]

Joel Anthony will not opt out.

And I don't think he will get bought out because he becomes an expiring contract next season.

Celts have 50.1m for 10 players.

AB is not included in that list of 10.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/boston-celtics-team-salary/

1. Rondo

2. Wallace

3. Green

4. Bass

5. Joel Anthony

6. Fav

7. Oly

8. Sully

9. Pressey

10. CJ

[/QUOTE]

Ah, OK.  I don't know why HoopsHype does not list Pressy and Fav options.  Yes, they do count against salary and even if the options were not picked up, there will still be a cap hold for the slots.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If you can move Humphries in a deal that is an expiring contract paired with either an asset in the form of a small salary talented young player still on his rookie deal or simply a 2014 first round pick (or future pick that isn't guaranteed to be in the 25-30 range) then you do that.

If you cannot move Humphries for such a return then by no means do you panic and trade him for a veteran non-starter with a 7+ million contract for next year just get a young bench player (a Bayless type talent) or a 2nd round pick in return for taking that contract.

The sign and trade option that exists for him and the Celtics this summer could be a win win for both Hump and the C's. Right now 9-10 million in contracts have to come back for him and teams are all pretty capped out and rosters set. This summer he could be offered a couple of 3-4 year 6-7 million a year free agent deals from teams he doesn't want to play for. He can turn around and let the Celtics sign him for 2 years 8-9 million per and trade him to a contender who otherwise didn't have the cap space to get Hump. That team will give the Celtics back a player or players making 5-7 million and draft picks or young talent Ainge feels is worth doing that.

If some team is dumb enough to call him the first day of free agency with a 4 year 40 million offer I'm sure he will bolt, but if so Danny shouldn't care too much unless he turned down a talented young player or draft pick at the deadline to pin his hopes on a sign and trade. i'm sure Danny won't be taking that gamble. If Hump is still here in March it is probably b/c the Bobcats or Suns refused to part with a 1st rd pick for him.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Bass, Bradley, and Humphries are the three most likely to be traded.

The only one I would miss would be Humphries. He is good.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

[QUOTE]

Some here think if Hump's 12m expires, the Celts will have 10-11m in cap space to sign a free-agent.

Not true.

That's why I keep saying Celts should get something for Hump on or before the trade deadline because the Celts will get nothing once Hump becomes an unrestricted free-agent.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarity FIERCY !

I predict Ainge will trade at least 8 players off the current Celtics roster, possibly 9....

CELTICS REBUILD 2013-2014: THE MOST DECISIVE TURNING OF THE PAGE IN RECENT NBA MEMORY.....

NO HALF MEASURES, FULL SPEED FORWARD.

LUCKY TO HAVE AINGE AT THE HELM

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Not true.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the clarity FIERCY !

I predict Ainge will trade at least 8 players off the current Celtics roster, possibly 9....

CELTICS REBUILD 2013-2014: THE MOST DECISIVE TURNING OF THE PAGE IN RECENT NBA MEMORY.....

NO HALF MEASURES, FULL SPEED FORWARD.

LUCKY TO HAVE AINGE AT THE HELM

[/QUOTE]

You predict he'll trade 8 or 9 current players?  Yet, it's impossible for him to acquire Harrison Barnes or Alex Len?

Put down the crack pipe, son!

Sections
Shortcuts