Celtics vs. Kings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Re: Celtics vs. Kings

In response to Fiercy's comment:

I don't get it.

Why would a rebuilding team prefer a 29-year old 6-9 PF over a 23-year old SG who plays offense and defense?

The Celts already have 2 young PFs in Oly and Sully.

It doesn't make sense to add a 3rd PF at 7-8m per year.

Also, don't forget the Celts still have Bass.

Until Ainge gets rid of Bass, Bass is still a Celtic and he'll be paid 6.9m by the Celts next season.

If we go to full Tankapalooza part 2 both AB and Hump could be gone without anything in return. 

Hump has played great , beyond expectations, and I'm surprised Phoenix or Houston didn't take him for their playoff push. If Danny wants another Top 5 pick next year then he's better off letting both go by giving lowball offers. It would suck getting nothing in return but, another top 5 would be worth it to pare down salary for 2015 or 2016. Would you guys rather have Parker or Wiggins and a good free agent playing in 2015 or AB? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

If we had Hump in 2010, i think we beat the Lakers.  Hump would make every good team a better team. We are a bad team and a young team, as much as i like Hump, no way i keep him over AB.  If Bass goes, or Sully is traded in a big off season deal, then i could see Danny keeping Humphries. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

You need at least 4 bigs in the front court rotation even without any injuries potential. Hump could stay and there will be plenty of minutes for him to play.  Fav is the odd man out if he is not resigned.  I guess Embiid or Randle could change the equation but until it is set in stone, who knows?  AB is a lot more expendable to me as a small and going to be very expensive SG.  I take a decent big man over a decent SG any day, and we don't want to pay for both with our current salary cap situation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Scubber, I like the idea of having 4 bigs in the front court rotation.  Right now, Sully is injured/hurting and just think if Bass and/or Hump had been traded by the deadline.  We'd be sitting with an injured/hurt Sully and Oly backing him up and Fav playing the center (or a center we would have picked up by trading Bass or Hump).

Having a front court rotation of 4 solid, quality bigs is the best you could ask for.

Fierce asks what if someone gets injured.  Good question because AB seems to always be injured.  If the Celtics were to add a solid, quality center (Embiid, Asik, somebody) to a front court rotation of Bass, Hump, Sully and Oly, we'd be set there.

All we'd need to do is fill out the wing players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

We need a 2 and a 5.

We need to trade Bass and release Humphries, so we can sign a free agent 2 or 5 depending on who we draft.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, I think Mployee8 said it best - "Veteran Leadership".

Unless we're lucky enough to be like OKC and draft players like Durant 2007 2nd overall, Westbrook 2008 4th overall, Ibaka 2008 24th overall (a steal) and Harden 2009 3rd overall, how do we think the Celtics are going to go from lottery to contending in a fairly short period of time?

That's not going to happen.  I'm not so sure it can happen like that.  We are going to have to be "middle of the pack" for a couple years after being "terrible" for a few years before breaking into contending status.  That is if the Eastern Conference doesn't significantly improve so we need some talented, solid, veteran players to package with our abundance of draft picks to get something long-term in return.

To get to that level, our next 3 drafts will have to be very high lottery picks (top 5ish and better) AND DA is going to have to hit "paydirt" on all of them.

And keep in mind what effect that will have on our core players currently on the roster.  It might require Oly, Sully, AB and Green to become role bench players because they are not guys that will win you a championship although they will want young star money once their rookie deals are over.

But then again, they are very good but OKC doesn't have a ring either and they could not keep the band together because that's the other downfall of drafting all these stars - paying everybody.  OKC is 7 years into their rebuild (KD in 2007) and they are flourishing so hopefully with no Miami Heat in the next 3-4 years, we can have much better results.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, you "bolded and underlined" my comment and then responded by saying "exactly my point" but your point is not a response to my comment.

Please re-read what I wrote.  I said we are "terrible NOW" (that means with Bass and Hump). So how can you ask "how can we become terrible if we have Bass and Hump"?  See what I'm saying! Even with a top 5 pick this offseason, we'll still be terrible next year (with Bass and Hump on the roster).

Is it your preference that the Celtics should be at 10 wins this season rather than 19?  Do you want us to be the worst team in the NBA?  What level of "terrible" are you looking for?

What does it matter?  That doesn't guarantee anything but more ping pong balls, which we've seen, doesn't translate to the top pick each year.

I think that this season and at least in the next two seasons, we'll be terrible enough to qualify for the lottery (top 5 this year and top 8 in the next two years).

With a small probability of getting Embiid, we may have to settle for Iverson and Fav next season and having Sully, Oly, Bass and Hump will compensate for our challenges at center.  We'll still be terrible and STILL have options to move them for the right deal.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Fierce, I want the Celtics to get the #1 pick THIS YEAR.

I will defer to you on which draft picks will be impact players next year because I know Embiid, Parker or Wiggins will be impact players immediately.