Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject

"the Celtics' dominance happened during the dark ages of the league".......well, their early dominance may have....BUT.....Laker fans hold on dearly to almost one third of their team's titles....and those were won during the darkest of all times....before the shot clock era....every one of Boston's came after the game was changed for all time....Majic, you and I have a respect for one another I believe...what kind of gets to me is that...whenever I bring up a time where a team could win 18-17 by outscoring their opponent 3-1 in the final quarter...where a game could go six overtimes with only one shot taken during each overtime....no one on the Laker side of the argument even acknowledges how the game was played pre shot clock.....the Celtic dynasty lasted from the late '50's (a very early time) through the late '80's.....we all know what happened to our team (but the Lakers went through the same time frame with only one title as well during an earlier period)......over the last 30 years the Lakers have been the most consistent team in basketball....I have no problem with that....but Boston won titles in every decade but the '90's...the Lakers didn't win in the '90's either.....nor did they win in the '60's as Boston was always a little better....I post this respectfully as my opinion...I certainly don't ask or even expect you to change yours...we can agree to disagree...that is fine by me....my best friend and I have been doing it for a long time...

Happy 4th to all...stay safe and enjoy being an American!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject : Boy, do you really know how this forum works? Your post on 6/14/2011, posted at 1:42 PM, is not hidden in "the Auerbach coaching tree" thread. It's there for all of us to see. If you want to check whether it's hidden or not, there is an easy way, just ask. I won't laugh at your ignorance. Well, you don't have to feel ashamed.  I mean, I am not wiping out the Celtics' excellence. There is no shame for the Celtics to be the 2nd best franchise in the league. Just that they weren't consistent enough over the 65 years to be the best. You don't have to. It's not for you to decide. It's not for me to decide either. Take Lakers and Celtics fans out of the equation, which team would the basketball world choose? I mean, if you based on neutral opinions, media, etc., you have absolutely no chance, due to two reasons: 1) the media and Internet explosion in the last 2-3 decades, which coincided with the Lakers' dominance. 2) the growth of the game at the national and international level, which coincided with the Lakers' dominace. The Celtics dominance, as I repeatedly emphasize, happened during the dark ages of the league, a league of irrelevance with minimal followings. You Celtic diehards have no problem ranting and raving them as #1, which can easily be countered by the ranting and ravings of Lakers diehards. In the last 20-30 years you got no chance when (1) the majority of the NBA followings formed their loyalty (which team to root for, especially for the international audience); (2) the majority of the neutral NBA followings (non-Lakers, non-Celtics) formed their opinions.
    Posted by MajicMVP[/QUOTE]

1.  Don't call me boy!!
    2.  6/14 was 2 weeks ago, and there are over 50 posts on that thread - it is no longer on the first or second page - please seek help!!
    3.  Contradict yourself much!!  Gee Glass Cow, we really appreciate you not "wiping" out the Celtics excellence.  Then, in your next sentence, you give an OPINION, that you expect us all to follow blindly.  50's - lakers dominated, Celtics took over.  60's and  70's  - Celtics  80's - early Celtics lakers late.  90's and 00's - lakers.  10 -? tied at 0-0.......fairly even if you ask me.  And AGAIN, learn how to take a compliment, because you won't get many on here.  Right now, today, the lakers are the better franchise.  But having won 5 titles in MN and 5 in Inglewood.................does NOT make the LOS ANGELES lakers the best ever....am I going too fast for you?
    4.  HOW can you possibly take them out of the equation?  See, the thread is entitled Celtics vs lakers.  I refuse to get involved in your little web where you twist things around.
    5. The lakers are not as popular as you are leading us to believe.  Already in LA, I see Heat and Mavericks jerseys popping up.  And, as YOU say, this is the fault of the Internet and today's society.  This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of world, and loyalties to anything - stocks, teams, even spouses is more and more fleeting.  Packers jerseys are selling like hot cakes, like Steelers jerseys did last year.  This is no more loyalty with young people.  You should be thankful you still have "die hahd" Celtics fans like me.  Who else would you be able to spew your hateful venom on?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject:
    [QUOTE]"the Celtics' dominance happened during the dark ages of the league"....... well, their early dominance may have....BUT.....Laker fans hold on dearly to almost one third of their team's titles....and those were won during the darkest of all times....before the shot clock era....every one of Boston's came after the game was changed for all time....Majic, you and I have a respect for one another I believe...what kind of gets to me is that...whenever I bring up a time where a team could win 18-7 by outscoring their opponent 3-1 in the final quarter...where a game could go six overtimes with only one shot taken during each overtime....no one on the Laker side of the argument even acknowledges how the game was played pre shot clock.....the Celtic dynasty lasted from the late '50's (a very early time) through the late '80's.....we all know what happened to our team (but the Lakers went through the same time frame with only one title as well during an earlier period)......over the last 30 years the Lakers have been the most consistent team in basketball....I have no problem with that....but Boston won titles in every decade but the '90's...the Lakers didn't win in the '90's either.....nor did they win in the '60's as Boston was always a little better....I post this respectfully as my opinion...I certainly don't ask or even expect you to change yours...we can agree to disagree...that is fine by me....my best friend and I have been doing it for a long time... Happy 4th to all...stay safe and enjoy being an American!!
    Posted by Duke4[/QUOTE]

Well, why would you get so hung up with a 18-17 game? that's a very high scoring game to me. You know, most of the games I watch end up at either 0-0 or 1-0, while 3-2 is considered a scoring spree. If you think I would be on your side to bash a 18-17 era, you come to the wrong person. Unless you can find me a final score of 0-0 or 1-0, I have no problem with any no-shot-clock era...

Now, if you think that the dark ages were nothing to write home about, I totally agree. That's why I've been stressing the Lakers advantage of 10-6. Don't worry, it's not over the Celtics (since the "6" aren't for the Celtics). To you folks, that would not be considered a loss...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

OK buddy....I tried....as I said....agree to disagree.....it always works in the end!

Peace

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject : 1.  Don't call me boy!! 2.  6/14 was 2 weeks ago, and there are over 50 posts on that thread - it is no longer on the first or second page - please seek help!! [/QUOTE]
    You said it was hidden. The post wasn't hidden. It was presented on plain sight. And there wasn't much effort needed. A search of "Red", it's there...

[QUOTE]
    3.  Contradict yourself much!!  Gee Glass Cow, we really appreciate you not "wiping" out the Celtics excellence.  Then, in your next sentence, you give an OPINION, that you expect us all to follow blindly.  50's - lakers dominated, Celtics took over.  60's and  70's  - Celtics  80's - early Celtics lakers late.  90's and 00's - lakers.  10 -? tied at 0-0.......fairly even if you ask me.  And AGAIN, learn how to take a compliment, because you won't get many on here.  Right now, today, the lakers are the better franchise.  But having won 5 titles in MN and 5 in Inglewood.................does NOT make the LOS ANGELES lakers the best ever....am I going too fast for you? [/QUOTE]
    Son, you really have to calm down. You are saying that Inglewood is not Los Angeles? Are you getting desparate or something? this is about the Lakers. No Laker fans gets hung up with the Los Angeles or Inglewood is not Los Angeles. And this thread is not about the "Boston Celtics vs Los Angeles Lakers". This thread is about "Celtics vs Lakers". This argument of the titles from MN and Inglewood is really grasping for thin air. As long as it's the Lakers franchise, there isn't anything you can do. I mean, it's not like the Lakers are claiming the 3 Warriors titles and the 1 Kings title because we are all California brethens...

As for their relative merits in decades, you should know my take are different from yours.

40s - Lakers
    50s - Lakers
    60s - Celtics
    70s - Celtics
    80s - Lakers (there is no such thing as early Celtics Lakers late. Lakers won the title in 80, Celtics 81, Lakers 82, Celtics 84, Lakers 85, Celtics 86. Celtics were playing catchup of 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 since the beginning of the Bird-Magic era, once they tied it 3-3, they lost 3-5.)
    90s - Lakers
    00s - Lakers
    10s - Lakers

So it's obvious that the Lakers won 6 of the 8 decades. Not only that, the Celtics experienced two extreme depression eras in the 90s and 00s. Those are strikes against them. As rampage said "what's the big deal of making the playoffs? Kobe would be laughing at you if you only want the Lakers to make the playoffs". Right, since making the playoffs is no big deal, nothing to write home about, then MISSING THE PLAYOFFS is the ultimate embarrassment.

And don't forget the dark ages and the blossom ages of the NBA. While the Celtics had an advantage in the dark ages. Since the NBA boom in the 80s, the Lakers have clearly had the edge.

[QUOTE]
    4.  HOW can you possibly take them out of the equation?  See, the thread is entitled Celtics vs lakers.  I refuse to get involved in your little web where you twist things around. [/QUOTE]
    Because if you put them in the equation, then it's not about neutral opinions. I am cutting you some slack but you probably don't realize it. The Lakers have much more international followings than the Celtics. For example, last year I went to a video store in Asia and asked what type of NBA videos are the best sellers. #1 Jordan and Bulls, #2 Kobe and Lakers, #3 Lebron. I asked about the Celtics and there weren't much market. Put Lakers fans in the equation and take a popularity vote, the Lakers would win the title of "most successful franchise" in a landslide.

[QUOTE]
    5. The lakers are not as popular as you are leading us to believe.  Already in LA, I see Heat and Mavericks jerseys popping up.  And, as YOU say, this is the fault of the Internet and today's society.  This is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately kind of world, and loyalties to anything - stocks, teams, even spouses is more and more fleeting.  Packers jerseys are selling like hot cakes, like Steelers jerseys did last year.  This is no more loyalty with young people.  You should be thankful you still have "die hahd" Celtics fans like me.  Who else would you be able to spew your hateful venom on?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]
    Well, if that's the case, which team has won a more recent championship? Celtics or Lakers? Using your logic, there should still be more Lakers following than Celtics following. Then you still lose out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from koberulz. Show koberulz's posts

The toughest part of Dead "Red"'s coaching career was trying to keep Russell motivated to play for such a racist hateful city.

Everyone knows PJ's offensive sytem, ask another fan what offensive system Dead "Red" ran, and they would say who? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]The toughest part of Dead "Red"'s coaching career was trying to keep Russell motivated to play for such a racist hateful city. Everyone knows PJ's offensive sytem, ask another fan what offensive system Dead "Red" ran, and they would say who? 
    Posted by koberulz[/QUOTE]

Cousy, Jones and Russell.  Red ran the triangle! Any thing  else you need to know?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject : You said it was hidden. The post wasn't hidden. It was presented on plain sight. And there wasn't much effort needed. A search of "Red", it's there... Son, you really have to calm down. You are saying that Inglewood is not Los Angeles? Are you getting desparate or something? this is about the Lakers. No Laker fans gets hung up with the Los Angeles or Inglewood is not Los Angeles. And this thread is not about the "Boston Celtics vs Los Angeles Lakers". This thread is about "Celtics vs Lakers". This argument of the titles from MN and Inglewood is really grasping for thin air. As long as it's the Lakers franchise, there isn't anything you can do. I mean, it's not like the Lakers are claiming the 3 Warriors titles and the 1 Kings title because we are all California brethens... As for their relative merits in decades, you should know my take are different from yours. 40s - Lakers 50s - Lakers 60s - Celtics 70s - Celtics 80s - Lakers (there is no such thing as early Celtics Lakers late. Lakers won the title in 80, Celtics 81, Lakers 82, Celtics 84, Lakers 85, Celtics 86. Celtics were playing catchup of 0-1, 1-2, 2-3 since the beginning of the Bird-Magic era, once they tied it 3-3, they lost 3-5.) 90s - Lakers 00s - Lakers 10s - Lakers So it's obvious that the Lakers won 6 of the 8 decades. Not only that, the Celtics experienced two extreme depression eras in the 90s and 00s. Those are strikes against them. As rampage said "what's the big deal of making the playoffs? Kobe would be laughing at you if you only want the Lakers to make the playoffs". Right, since making the playoffs is no big deal, nothing to write home about, then MISSING THE PLAYOFFS is the ultimate embarrassment. And don't forget the dark ages and the blossom ages of the NBA. While the Celtics had an advantage in the dark ages. Since the NBA boom in the 80s, the Lakers have clearly had the edge. Because if you put them in the equation, then it's not about neutral opinions. I am cutting you some slack but you probably don't realize it. The Lakers have much more international followings than the Celtics. For example, last year I went to a video store in Asia and asked what type of NBA videos are the best sellers. #1 Jordan and Bulls, #2 Kobe and Lakers, #3 Lebron. I asked about the Celtics and there weren't much market. Put Lakers fans in the equation and take a popularity vote, the Lakers would win the title of "most successful franchise" in a landslide. Well, if that's the case, which team has won a more recent championship? Celtics or Lakers? Using your logic, there should still be more Lakers following than Celtics following. Then you still lose out.
    Posted by MajicMVP[/QUOTE]

Son, the very fact you can remember that I even wrote it and then "search" my name makes you an Internet stalker, BOY!

I have no further interest in anything you have to say, so go ahead and claim your moral victory, with your defeatist attitude and "straw man" arguments.  lakers did not win last year, how can you say 10's belong to the lakers?  NBA was formed in 1949, so I doubt the validity of that comment as well.  The more you write, the more the twaddle!

I, thankfully, am NOT your son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My father was a WWII war hero who passed away in 2008 - put me on ignore, because you are clearly deranged!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rampageimt23. Show rampageimt23's posts

You know what I thought better of the situation and I am not done with this yet....boom...carry on

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Celtics vs. Lakers - Thread to end all Threads on this subject : Son, the very fact you can remember that I even wrote it and then "search" my name makes you an Internet stalker, BOY![/QUOTE]
    Boy, when you don't remember what you said and contradict your own statements, it's your problem, not mine. Your definition of an Internet stalker is just hot air. You can't substantiate that when someone uses your own words against you. You only have yourself to blame when you can't make consistent stands...

[QUOTE] I have no further interest in anything you have to say, so go ahead and claim your moral victory, with your defeatist attitude and "straw man" arguments.  lakers did not win last year, how can you say 10's belong to the lakers?  NBA was formed in 1949, so I doubt the validity of that comment as well. [/QUOTE]
    I count the decade from xxx0 to xxx9, following the convention of the media.
    The NBA count the seasons of the playoffs, e.g. 1996 Bulls, 1972 Lakers. So the 10's so far:

2010 Lakers
    2011 Mavericks

Comparing the Lakers and the Celtics in the 10s so far, how can't I say 10's belong to the Lakers?

NBA was formed in 1949, for the 1949-50 season, yet the NBA counted its predecessor, the 3 seasons of BAA (1947, 1948, 1949) as part of its history. Well, it's obvious that you don't know that part of the NBA history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajicMVP. Show MajicMVP's posts

[QUOTE]You know what I thought better of the situation and I am not done with this yet....boom...carry on
    Posted by rampageimt23[/QUOTE]

You are not done? I can't wait to see how you can make some lame arguments on Kobe, that would rather lose in the early rounds than in the finals. Fortunately, Kobe is a competitor, not a loser like you are...

And better yet, who proclaim Princeton as the best college football program?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from salinasfan. Show salinasfan's posts

To all the idiots crying and fighting about whom's team is the best ...your both pure assanies dumb-s#$ts,,,neither team compares to each other because they did not play each other all these years in championships games...the Bulls were great when they won,.The Spurs were great,the Lakers were great when they had their runs and so were the Celts..I've been a Celtic fan since 1967 they had great runs,just like the rest...Jesus your talking basketball...your talking two of the greatest dynasties EVER,,EVER,EVER,EVER....some of the greatest players in basketball played on theses teams...celtic fans are you saying that Jerry West,Elgin,Wilt,Jamaal,Worthy,Kobe suck????Laker fans are you saying Russell,Cousy,Mchale,Bird,Achibald..etc etc suck????Then neither of the two of yous know nothing about basketball...so shut up and stop comparing teams there's nothing to compare..these are 2 of the greatest teams,the NBA wouldn't be the NBA without these 2 great teams....both these dynasties are great for who they are!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

well said! ....really interchangeable with great history and the best rivalry....they are the NBA historically!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]To all the idiots crying and fighting about whom's team is the best ...your both pure assanies dumb-s#$ts,,,neither team compares to each other because they did not play each other all these years in championships games...the Bulls were great when they won,.The Spurs were great,the Lakers were great when they had their runs and so were the Celts..I've been a Celtic fan since 1967 they had great runs,just like the rest...Jesus your talking basketball...your talking two of the greatest dynasties EVER,,EVER,EVER,EVER....some of the greatest players in basketball played on theses teams...celtic fans are you saying that Jerry West,Elgin,Wilt,Jamaal,Worthy,Kobe suck????Laker fans are you saying Russell,Cousy,Mchale,Bird,Achibald..etc etc suck????Then neither of the two of yous know nothing about basketball...so shut up and stop comparing teams there's nothing to compare..these are 2 of the greatest teams,the NBA wouldn't be the NBA without these 2 great teams....both these dynasties are great for who they are!!!
    Posted by salinasfan[/QUOTE]

You are correct.  It is, however, difficult for educated and intelligent people on a CELTICS forum to give credit to the lakers, and Bulls and Spurs, only to have our own team denigraded.  I maintain anyone would fight back.  Except with Majic, he is clearly deranged!
    BOTH teams are great for who they are - very well said.........tell that to the lakers fans, who think only their team is great.  It is maddening!!

Sections
Shortcuts