Celtics vs. Magic

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Celtics vs. Magic

In response to prakash's comment:

In response to Fiercy's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

Question - does a PG who shoots a terrible percentage from downtown fit B. Stevens offense? 

I keep saying it, Rondo is not a good fit in Stevens' system.

I disagree.  Can't add one more constraint.  It is Stevens' job to design a system that fits the personnel.

B. Stevens could try to implement the Doug Moe style offense "run and gun"  - It would be more fun to watch! 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I disagree.  Can't add one more constraint.  It is Stevens' job to design a system that fits the personnel.

Fits the personnel means the whole team.

But not for just 1 player.

Celts were doing well when Crawford was the PG because every Celtic on the floor was a scoring threat.

Doc Rivers was the master at masking Rondo's weaknesses.

As I said, I disagree.  There are many issues with this team.  And as the Celts address them, Brad has to work a system that fit the personnel including maximizing Rondo's strengths.  It is not like the Celts were doing great with Crawford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

I don't think Brad Stevens will change his system or change the way he coaches just to accommodate Rondo.

What is this Brad Stevens' system that you are talking about?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I don't think Brad Stevens will change his system or change the way he coaches just to accommodate Rondo.

Read and react offense versus two man game where you focus on mis-matches! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

"The sets they run are more read-and-react type things than the normal execution of go from point A to B and then go on with this. He's got terminology of actions. But he's not going to play the two-man game or three-man game to see what the defense is going to give him. Instead he'll run an action and leave it to his players to read the defense. "That has made it difficult to get a handle on what he's doing, because he might get three different things on three possessions all on the same play call. What they ran the first time with that terminology isn't going to be the same thing they run the second time he makes that call.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Fits the personnel means the whole team.

But not for just 1 player.

Celts were doing well when Crawford was the PG because every Celtic on the floor was a scoring threat.

Doc Rivers was the master at masking Rondo's weaknesses.

Crawford held the ball too long, chucked up bad shots and was very inconsistent.  JG a threat?  Really???  Sully a threat?  Come on man, get real.  Folks are scared of Oly shooting 3s, JG shooting 3s, AB shooting 3s.  No wander the paint is packed.  THEY CANT PUT THE BALL IN THE BASKET FROM BEYOND THE ARC!!! 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

B. Stevens could try to implement the Doug Moe offense "run and gun"  - It would be more fun to watch! 

Brad Stevens believes in analytics.

The system is an equal opportunity offense, getting players open to get easy shots.

Every player is a threat and must  s-h-o-o-t  if open.

Do you want Sully and Oly chucking threes? Who is going to be under the basket rebounding.  If it is read and react, why does RR need to be standing behind the three point line? Can't he take a 18-20 footer? Or drive in "since his defender will be a few feet away? 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Read and react requires people to move and create spaces as well.  There were serious spacing issues when Rondo was on the floor and not because of him.  I do believe that people are getting used to Rondo's presence.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Read and react requires people to move and create spaces as well.  There were serious spacing issues when Rondo was on the floor and not because of him.  I do believe that people are getting used to Rondo's presence.

Agree - but will defenders follow Rondo to the arc if they dont believe he can make a s-*t? Likely the answer is no - they will play off him and transition to a help defender if/when needed!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:

Crawford held the ball too long, chucked up bad shots and was very inconsistent.  JG a threat?  Really???  Sully a threat?  Come on man, get real.  Folks are scared of Oly shooting 3s, JG shooting 3s, AB shooting 3s.  No wander the paint is packed.  THEY CANT PUT THE BALL IN THE BASKET FROM BEYOND THE ARC!!! 

Like I said, Rondo is not a good fit because Rondo is not a scoring PG.

When you have 3 HoFers then Rondo is the perfect PG.

But with this current Celtics team, you said it yourself, Rondo has no one to pass to.

New salary cap rules will also prevent teams from having 3 superstars.

So if Rondo is to succeed in Brad's system, Rondo has to score at least 16 points per game.

But you're not going to average 16 ppg if you're a PG and you don't have a 3-point s-h-o-t.

I disagree. But let me ask you this.  If Rondo can only succeed on a team with superstars i.e., KG, RA and Pierce, how did they do w/o Rondo?  There flaws were exposed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

You didn't notice the Lakers and Magic always give Rondo space, daring him to  s-h-o-o-t?

The problem is not Rondo, he's just not a good fit for this new coach.

The bigger question is does Stevens know that?  How about Ainge?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to jdm894g's comment:

Like I said, Rondo is not a good fit because Rondo is not a scoring PG.

When you have 3 HoFers then Rondo is the perfect PG.

But with this current Celtics team, you said it yourself, Rondo has no one to pass to.

New salary cap rules will also prevent teams from having 3 superstars.

So if Rondo is to succeed in Brad's system, Rondo has to score at least 16 points per game.

But you're not going to average 16 ppg if you're a PG and you don't have a 3-point s-h-o-t.

I am not sure where the scoring point guard requirement comes from.  Yes, Rondo can't be a scoring liability.  But we are talking 2nd. game back here with serious minute restrictions.  Plus a team that is really not spacing well yet in the system.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

You didn't notice the Lakers and Magic always give Rondo space, daring him to  s-h-o-o-t?

The problem is not Rondo, he's just not a good fit for this new coach.

No, I didn't see that today.  What I saw was a big clog down below.  The other players needed to move to create more options.  Otherwise there is just one option: Rondo to s-h-o-o-t.  That is no offense.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

The bigger question is does Stevens know that?  How about Ainge?

I keep saying it, if a team offers a top 5 pick or a lottery pick for Rondo, Rondo is gone!

Ainge would be crazy not to entertain a top 5.  More likely it is a late first from a good team that would be offered.

Sections
Shortcuts