Celtics will be too good for the lottery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Celtics will be too good for the lottery

All the pundits keep assuming that the Celtics will end up with a lottery pick because they traded away Garnett and Pierce. I am not convinced that they'll be any worse than they were last year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they finished with a better record.

The team's biggest problems last year were: 1. age (the three oldest on last year's roster are now gone), 2. rebounding (Humphries, Iverson, Olynyk, Melo should help there), 3. health (Rondo, Sullinger should be ready to start the season), and lack of scoring punch off the bench (Brooks and regular playing time for Crawford and Lee should boost the shooting depth).

Throw in the emergence of Jeff Green, the addition of a solid veteran like Gerald Wallace, retention of decent to good rotation players like Brandon Bass and Avery Bradley, plus whoever the Celtics might sign with the MLE, and this is a team that can definitely compete for a 6-8 seed in the Eastern Conference.

After Miami, Indiana, Chicago, and Brooklyn, probably New York and Cleveland too, I don't see any Eastern Conference teams that are clearly better than the Celtics as currently constituted. They're at the same level as the Sixers, Hawks, Raptors, Bucks, Wizards, Pistons, etc., and still better than the Bobcats and Magic.

To truly contend for the top pick in the draft, the Celtics need to make some additional moves. They can get away with keeping one of Green/Rondo, but not both of them. Teams with two legitimate All-Star candidates generally make the playoffs.

I would look to trade Rondo to somebody who will also take two out of Bass, Wallace, and Lee. If the Mavericks fail in their pursuit of Howard, Dallas could be one option, as reported. Another good option would be the Golden State Warriors.

To Golden State: Rondo (2 years remaining), Wallace (3 years remaining), Lee (3 years remaining).

To Boston: Biedrins (1 year remaining), Jefferson (1 year remaining), Rush (1 year remaining), future 1st round draft pick.

This trade would clear up a ton of cap space, net an additional draft pick, and ensure that the team is sufficiently bad this upcoming season.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Celtics will be too good for the lottery

In response to davidap's comment:

All the pundits keep assuming that the Celtics will end up with a lottery pick because they traded away Garnett and Pierce. I am not convinced that they'll be any worse than they were last year. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they finished with a better record.

The team's biggest problems last year were: 1. age (the three oldest on last year's roster are now gone), 2. rebounding (Humphries, Iverson, Olynyk, Melo should help there), 3. health (Rondo, Sullinger should be ready to start the season), and lack of scoring punch off the bench (Brooks and regular playing time for Crawford and Lee should boost the shooting depth).

Throw in the emergence of Jeff Green, the addition of a solid veteran like Gerald Wallace, retention of decent to good rotation players like Brandon Bass and Avery Bradley, plus whoever the Celtics might sign with the MLE, and this is a team that can definitely compete for a 6-8 seed in the Eastern Conference.

After Miami, Indiana, Chicago, and Brooklyn, probably New York and Cleveland too, I don't see any Eastern Conference teams that are clearly better than the Celtics as currently constituted. They're at the same level as the Sixers, Hawks, Raptors, Bucks, Wizards, Pistons, etc., and still better than the Bobcats and Magic.

To truly contend for the top pick in the draft, the Celtics need to make some additional moves. They can get away with keeping one of Green/Rondo, but not both of them. Teams with two legitimate All-Star candidates generally make the playoffs.

I would look to trade Rondo to somebody who will also take two out of Bass, Wallace, and Lee. If the Mavericks fail in their pursuit of Howard, Dallas could be one option, as reported. Another good option would be the Golden State Warriors.

To Golden State: Rondo (2 years remaining), Wallace (3 years remaining), Lee (3 years remaining).

To Boston: Biedrins (1 year remaining), Jefferson (1 year remaining), Rush (1 year remaining), future 1st round draft pick.

This trade would clear up a ton of cap space, net an additional draft pick, and ensure that the team is sufficiently bad this upcoming season.

I absolutely agree with you. Boston may wind up with a better record than last season's. Boston is loading up with guys cerebral guys that can score. Having a high basketball IQ like that possessed by Sullinger, and Olynyk makes up for their lack of experience. Iverson gives the C's something they haven't had since Perk was wearing green. There are still some guys that I wish were not Celtics like Crawford (erratic, uncoordinated) and Melo (uncoordinated and slow) but I wouldn't be surprised to see them gone by the start of the season. I also wouldn't be surprised if Boston ends up with Josh Smith,  Al Jefferson, and/or Rodrigue Beaubois.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

45 is the ceiling  im gonna say 42

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Right now they are probably around 500 with Rondo and Green. Rondo is an all-star and was the best player on the Celtic in 2011-2012 and the first half of this year. Green is a pretty good player and could average over 20 ppg without Pierce. The problem is going to be the defense has gone down and they still need a scorer so they are probably right around where they were last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Right now they are probably around 500 with Rondo and Green. Rondo is an all-star and was the best player on the Celtic in 2011-2012 and the first half of this year. Green is a pretty good player and could average over 20 ppg without Pierce. The problem is going to be the defense has gone down and they still need a scorer so they are probably right around where they were last year.

But when is Rondo coming back? That is the question.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

We can have Rondo sit out most of the season like Derrick Rose.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

We can have Rondo sit out most of the season like Derrick Rose.

And have a undrafted free agent as our starting point guard. I actually like Pressey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KillaCam2010. Show KillaCam2010's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Russell1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Will Rondo come back in October, November, or December?

We don't know yet.

[/QUOTE]

Probably depends on managements mindset. If they truly want to tank they probably hold out till the season is already toast.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Russell1. Show Russell1's posts

In response to KillaCam2010's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Russell1's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

Will Rondo come back in October, November, or December?

We don't know yet.

[/QUOTE]

Probably depends on managements mindset. If they truly want to tank they probably hold out till the season is already toast.

[/QUOTE]

Which begs the question if that is what Danny is planning and you have teams that want Rondo now, why not trade him? He will be in his final year after next year and will want a max contract.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrCricket. Show MrCricket's posts

i want whatever the OP is smoking. you're expecting olynyk, iverson, and melo to be monsters on the glass? LMAO!!! who is iverson? who is melo? one of olynyk's main weaknesses is rebounding. gerald wallace? kris humphries? "emergence" of jeff green? LOLOLOL 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

In response to MrCricket's comment:

[QUOTE]

i want whatever the OP is smoking. you're expecting olynyk, iverson, and melo to be monsters on the glass? LMAO!!! who is iverson? who is melo? one of olynyk's main weaknesses is rebounding. gerald wallace? kris humphries? "emergence" of jeff green? LOLOLOL 

Iverson will not even play in the NBA next season. He's going to play in Europe.

[/QUOTE]

So why draft him?  For future years?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

I agree with the sentiment of this post. But I think DA has already shown his cards. This will be a tanking season to absolutely re-load with vigor next summer. Salary space, high drafting, picks to trade will set this team up for years so nothing will get in the way of this plan.  There will be no half-measures. Rondo will be eased back nice and slowly if not traded so don't even count on him for 30 games. Sully will develop but will be held back to take care of his back. AB and Greene will post some nice numbers and learn some mentorship and leadership. The rollercoster is fully on. Half this board will go into hibernation for next season probably too. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

You are basing your assessment on the current roster, which will not be the roster come opening night.  Humphries won't be here.  Rondo will be given all the time in the world to come back and even with that there is a strong possibility he will be gone by the opening game.  They'll exhaust every possibility to move Wallace - that'll be a tough one.  We have no idea what this roster will be on opening night.  Either way, I believe the Celtics are determined to spend next year developing young players - which usually translates to losses - alot of them.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Ainge isn't done making our team bad for this season. 

No way does this Celtics team sniff the playoffs. 

If they end up being any good, Ainge will trade the good players away for expiring contracts during the season. 

That includes Rondo. 

I guarantee we tank it this year and get into the lottery, don't worry yourself about it. 

Relax and enjoy the losing....