Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Re: Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

In response to scubber's comment:

I thought they want players that can play now.  Sully is not going to be enough.  Maybe add Green and AB and 3 picks would probably be needed based on previous proposed deal.  This would be vastly overpaying but is it worth it?

It's worth it to Wyc Grousbeck because it will put a lot of money in his pocket.

But it's not worth it to Celtic fans because the Celtics will not win a championship by overpaying for Love.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Actually, trading Rondo for Nash was my idea last summer..............not that I care one way or the other.  This is why I come on the board here - to have fun and listen to ideas about improving my team.

Now, about moving Jeff Green..........................

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

Bingo!

And he's claiming I stole that idea.

Looks like he stole it from you.

I didn't say you stole Nash. Nash for Rondo was mentioned by very many posters starting it sounds like with Hedley last summer, Fiercy mentioned it in the Fall I believe.

I tweaked Nash for Rondo into simply 'swapping' the Nets pick for whichever one LA got in the 5-8 range if we took Nash with the TPE. I also said Rondo for Nash/Marshall and pick #7 was fine with me, yet still did NOT predict Rondo would be traded at draft night.

All very immature of course. But posters who have earned respect like myself and Hedley don't carry on with the 'you stole this' baloney. Posters who repeatedly bully and call people hypocrites, say they are wrong when an IDEA (not prediction) fails to happen, drag up old posts, and generally carry on like the mentally impaired until BDC finally bans them... yea, those posters need things thrown in their face every now and then.

Like Ainge doing the opposite of what Fiercy said the team would do this summer. Holding onto Rondo. Using the TPE. Exceeding the cap and still looking for a veteran all-star to trade for. Way to go Danny!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

FB - to answer your question (these reply things get too long) - without a third team involved, I think Green, Bogans, Young and Sully (3 picks max) is fair for Love.

If they want us to take Martin, we throw in Anthony and Thornton, and take back Young.

I would use Bass instead of Bogans - and, of course, Wallace.

But 3 first round picks should be the key.  Rookie contracts are four years now.

Since they just took (F me) LaVine, they might not want Young, though.............

Rehash - Bass, Green, Fav, Bogans, Young and 3 #1's for Love and Martin.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

Good stuff. Getting close to what the Wolves would have to consider is a good offer.

Smart over Vonleh hurt us b/c even if Danny valued Smart more, Vonleh had more value to a team like the Wolves. They already have a PG with shooting issues in Rubio.

I think Danny needs to move Smart and Anthony's expiring contract for a young player Minny really desires. Maybe someone still on his rookie deal, but nearing the end of it. This would have to wait until 30 days after Smart signed his contract.

If we are going to take on Martin's contract 3/21, they need to take Wallace at 2/20. If we take Martin they definitely get Young, who is the young shooter they see replacing him and pairing so well with the shooting challenged Rubio.

Wallace, Bass, Sully, Young, Zeller (over Olynyk) and a future pick for Love and Martin.

Then in a separate deal Smart, Anthony (6 million or so) and a future pick are traded for a young player in his prime the Wolves want. Not Klay Thompson obviously. But someone who can be traded and sent back for a contract like Barea, Budinger or Brewer in the 5 million range. 

THAT type of deal going down in the middle of August MIGHT entice the Wolves.

Before then Danny can still try and move Bogans and Anthony or Bogans and Bass in a move with maybe a pick tossed in for a player the Wolves would want. 

We know Love will have to join a team with Rondo, Bradley, Green and one of Olynyk/Zeller at center to feel he is instantly competitive and playoff bound. All Danny should ask him to do is pick up his option year. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I really wanted Vonleh, too.  I am very very curious to know the "issues" he has, and why we didn't take him.  We wouldn't need, necessarily, Zeller if we had Vonleh, so one of them could go.

Before we go dealing Young, though, let's not forget MN just took LaVine at 13.  I think if they wanted Young, they could have had him at 13.  They would be redundant on that team.

Think Monroe would want to go to MN.....LOL?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Zeller vs. Hawes

Some here always liked Hawes.

Some bullied and ranted on and on that Hawes was not an Ainge kind of player. Looks like that crowd was wrong about the type of big DA was targeting.

In Zeller Danny got a more physical, still improving Spencer Hawes who produces the same (except he doesn't shoot 3's) at 1/3 of the cost!

Way to go Danny!

Zeller produced 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per 36 minutes last year with a solid 15.4 PER (Hawes was 15.7) and a shot 54% from the field (Hawes 47%) AND is two years younger AND costs 1.7 and 2.6 million on his rookie deal before RFA where Hawes will cost 5-6 million a year. Wow!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Been waiting for you to chime in.  Knew you'd like this deal, as I do.  Also was hoping to see you write - "where's acie to take a dump on all of this?"

That was classic.

Do you think Zeller can give us 13 and 8 this year?  I do, and I think with Stevens, he'll only get better.  Pair him with Love, and those numbers can go to 15 and 10 - I truly believe that!

A year two to year three jump that is just 50% of the year one to year two jump he put up as far as PER and per 36 minute averages would definitely put him at 13 and 8.

An 11 PER to 15.4 to 17.5

10 points to 13.7 points to 15 points (per 36 mins)

7.8 boards to 9.7 boards to 10.6 boards.

Bam!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Why would they need to get under the cap besides saving Wyck some money?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Why waste real dollars if you're a rebuilding team?

Right now, even with the inclusion of Thornton and Zeller, the Celts are at 70.1m in total guaranteed contracts.

Remove Bass' 6.9m salary and the Celts will automatically be a team not over the cap.

Celts will be under the cap next season because Rondo's contract expires.

So why spend extra now when you don't have to?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Why waste real dollars if you're a rebuilding team?

Right now, even with the inclusion of Thornton and Zeller, the Celts are at 70.1m in total guaranteed contracts.

Remove Bass' 6.9m salary and the Celts will automatically be a team not over the cap.

Celts will be under the cap next season because Rondo's contract expires.

So why spend extra now when you don't have to?

Then I think we have to give a 2nd round pick for someone under the cap to take Bass.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Hoopshype says if we cut Bogans, Babb and Johnson we are under the cap.  No need for any moves.  Accuracy is questioned, as always.

It also says Pressey has the most likely chance of being retained.  They like him, apparently.  His contract becomes guaranteed on the 15th of July.  So, he is probably here for the year!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Then I think we have to give a 2nd round pick for someone under the cap to take Bass.

It's the other way around.

Teams will be looking for bench help.

Bass is perfect because he has an expiring contract and he's a good player.

I think there will be teams who are willing to give the Celts a 2nd round pick for Bass.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Hoopshype says if we cut Bogans, Babb and Johnson we are under the cap.  No need for any moves.  Accuracy is questioned, as always.

It also says Pressey has the most likely chance of being retained.  They like him, apparently.  His contract becomes guaranteed on the 15th of July.  So, he is probably here for the year!

That's true before the Celts used the TPE on Zeller and Thornton.

Now the Celts are at 70.1m.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Not yet includes the salaries we got for TPE?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:

In response to kaktug's comment:

if love and lebron end up in cleveland, we can kiss the east goodbye for another 3-4 years. there's no way we can compete with a team like that. sucks if we're clearing the way for that to happen.

On the bright side, after 3-4 years, when Lebron gets old, it's the Celtics' turn to dominate the east.

maybe. unless another team surpasses us in the meantime. love and lebron together in cleveland will truly suck. we'll have lots of draft picks and young players but we won't be able to sniff anything more than a conference final for the foreseeable future.

it is way too soon to extrapolate out the next four years. One twisted ankle at the wrong time would change everything.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

100 % completely totally...................MY BAD:

As of now, the Boston Celtics are over the projected tax line of $77 million, though they will easily get under that number by simply releasing Keith Bogans and his nonguaranteed contract of $5.3 million, though it's more likely that he'll be used in a trade in some form or another.

With Phil Pressey, Chris Johnson, and Chris Babb having nonguaranteed contracts, it's fair to assume that at least one of them will be cut, with Babb appearing to be the most likely candidate. Boston has loads of committed money ahead of Babb and Johnson on the depth chart, so someone will have to go at some point.

Read it too fast - my apologies to all - it's the tax line, not the cap!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Great great trade all that for nothing 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Th money numbers mean nothing right now . Why bother with them and bore everyone.  There will be more changes

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

100 % completely totally...................MY BAD:

As of now, the Boston Celtics are over the projected tax line of $77 million, though they will easily get under that number by simply releasing Keith Bogans and his nonguaranteed contract of $5.3 million, though it's more likely that he'll be used in a trade in some form or another.

With Phil Pressey, Chris Johnson, and Chris Babb having nonguaranteed contracts, it's fair to assume that at least one of them will be cut, with Babb appearing to be the most likely candidate. Boston has loads of committed money ahead of Babb and Johnson on the depth chart, so someone will have to go at some point.

Read it too fast - my apologies to all - it's the tax line, not the cap!!

Babb has to be gone, I like Johsnson but he is the 5th string SF as of now. Pressey really should go too, there isn't anything that he offers that five pg's in the D league don't have.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:

Thornton is the biggest piece for the Celts in this trade. I believe DA moves RR within the next year. That leaves Smart and AB in the backcourt -  two defensive oriented guards with questionable outside shots. With Thornton added, the Celts backcourt gets some added offense. Thornton paired with Smart or AB is more than adequate. Most posters seem to over-value Zeller. He hasn't even averaged 7 ppg. and 5 rebounds per game. And clearly Zeller isn't going to protect the rim. He may be an adequate backup center at best.  The Celts need a legit big man who can protect the rim or at least a center who can give us 10 rebounds a night. Zeller gives us neither. The obvious key to the Celts long term success is what DA does with all those accumulated 1st round picks. And Ainge can deal Rondo and Green so he has multiple attractive trade options. I can easily see the Celts becoming one of the top 5 teams within 5 years.

Thornton can't be paired with AB, they play the same position.  Both are making a lot and I don't see both stay long term.

Now Bird can pick between Bradley or Thornton for Stephenson.

Stephenson & Hump with picks, etc should be enough for Love.

LeBron isn't going home again. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Gilbert is getting his!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

From the analytical POV...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11176817/grading-offseason-trades

"Boston: A

The Celtics had a trade exception from last year's deal with the Nets set to expire on July 12, and they put it to use by swallowing the final year of Thornton's contract, with Zeller and the 2016 first-round pick as carrots. From Boston's standpoint, Thornton's salary is little inconvenience; the Celtics weren't likely to go under the cap this summer anyway, and in a best-case scenario, they might be able to get a second-round pick for Thornton in exchange for another expiring contract at the deadline.

Zeller is a nice piece for a Celtics team so lacking in true centers. He isn't exactly Tyson Chandler in the paint, but he offers more rim protection than either Kelly Olynyk or Jared Sullinger and could pair well with either of Boston's young big men. For $4.3 million over the next two years, that's useful.

The real gem, however, is adding another protected first-round pick to the pile accumulated in last year's deal with Brooklyn. If the Cavaliers get James, that might not be worth much. If they strike out, and are still a fringe playoff team in two seasons, the Celtics could get a mid first-round pick for their troubles, which would be excellent value."

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:

what a move by DA. a young center, a 1st round pick, and a solid bench player on an expiring contract who can be moved later on for another draft pick. DA is the man.

Trader Danny is BACK!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

I have been on Danny's case all week, but this makes me happy. Just keep it rolling Danny, while you are hot.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to billge's comment:

I have been on Danny's case all week, but this makes me happy. Just keep it rolling Danny, while you are hot.

I'll try, Thanks!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My biggest takeaway from the trade is that Danny has managed to assemble a team that talent wise is an 18-20 win team in a loaded draft next year...and he also rcvd another first in the process. Very astute, great moves by DA...

please, someone tell Stevens to not coach this team to 24 wins next year...now that we have all these choices, we need talent. Look at the frosh bigs next year in college. Surely a couple of them will come out and will be franchise players...

2017 is looking very good here in Boston. A couple of years of heartburn, and then hopefully a yearly, deep playoff team for the next 5-7 years...

another plus...at least tickets will be plentiful and cheap next year if anyone wants to go to a game?

Sections
Shortcuts