Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

Re: Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

FB - to answer your question (these reply things get too long) - without a third team involved, I think Green, Bogans, Young and Sully (3 picks max) is fair for Love.

If they want us to take Martin, we throw in Anthony and Thornton, and take back Young.

I would use Bass instead of Bogans - and, of course, Wallace.

But 3 first round picks should be the key.  Rookie contracts are four years now.

Since they just took (F me) LaVine, they might not want Young, though.............

Rehash - Bass, Green, Fav, Bogans, Young and 3 #1's for Love and Martin.

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. Getting close to what the Wolves would have to consider is a good offer.

Smart over Vonleh hurt us b/c even if Danny valued Smart more, Vonleh had more value to a team like the Wolves. They already have a PG with shooting issues in Rubio.

I think Danny needs to move Smart and Anthony's expiring contract for a young player Minny really desires. Maybe someone still on his rookie deal, but nearing the end of it. This would have to wait until 30 days after Smart signed his contract.

If we are going to take on Martin's contract 3/21, they need to take Wallace at 2/20. If we take Martin they definitely get Young, who is the young shooter they see replacing him and pairing so well with the shooting challenged Rubio.

Wallace, Bass, Sully, Young, Zeller (over Olynyk) and a future pick for Love and Martin.

Then in a separate deal Smart, Anthony (6 million or so) and a future pick are traded for a young player in his prime the Wolves want. Not Klay Thompson obviously. But someone who can be traded and sent back for a contract like Barea, Budinger or Brewer in the 5 million range. 

THAT type of deal going down in the middle of August MIGHT entice the Wolves.

Before then Danny can still try and move Bogans and Anthony or Bogans and Bass in a move with maybe a pick tossed in for a player the Wolves would want. 

We know Love will have to join a team with Rondo, Bradley, Green and one of Olynyk/Zeller at center to feel he is instantly competitive and playoff bound. All Danny should ask him to do is pick up his option year. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I really wanted Vonleh, too.  I am very very curious to know the "issues" he has, and why we didn't take him.  We wouldn't need, necessarily, Zeller if we had Vonleh, so one of them could go.

Before we go dealing Young, though, let's not forget MN just took LaVine at 13.  I think if they wanted Young, they could have had him at 13.  They would be redundant on that team.

Think Monroe would want to go to MN.....LOL?

[/QUOTE]

Vonleh measured 6'8". That was the drawback. 

[/QUOTE]

You think he's done growing?  He's only 18 going on 19 in about 6 weeks. Plenty of time left to add a few more inches. 

Talk of character issues abounds mostly about him dissing IU and Coach Crean. If he did speak negatively about a former coach or how he was or wasn't utilized pointing the finger at the coaching staff for his shortcomings then that makes sense. It was also said that he sat out games and even skipped team workouts if fatigued. You can read more here.

http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/144/Contents/Andy-Katz-talked-to-both-Exum-and-Vonleh-before-the-draft-29345820" rel="nofollow">http://indiana.247sports.com/Board/144/Contents/Andy-Katz-talked-to-both-Exum-and-Vonleh-before-the-draft-29345820

[/QUOTE]

I'm not Danny Ainge. Perhaps Danny knew the Cs had Sully, Oly, Bass and a deal in the works for Zeller and wanted to cover his bases if Rondo leaves?? I would not have been upset with them drafting Vonleh either.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

So much for the build through the draft theory. No team has the roster for that many draft picks. A trade has to happen at this point or you have serious wasted value here.

[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, it supports the building through the draft theory.

Rondo, Bass, Joel Anthony, and Marcus Thornton all have expiring contracts.

And Wallace and Jeff Green will have expiring contracts in 2016.

It's not like the Celts will not lose any players for the next 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

There was a nice piece on CSNNE that was illustrating my point. Ainge is acquiring assets. You can only have 12 players active so how are you going to develop 9 first round draft picks while developing Smart, Oly, Sullinger, Young, and Zeller while having Bradley around with a large contract for the next 4 years?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

You can use two draft choices to get a higher pick in any given draft,

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

So much for the build through the draft theory. No team has the roster for that many draft picks. A trade has to happen at this point or you have serious wasted value here.

[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, it supports the building through the draft theory.

Rondo, Bass, Joel Anthony, and Marcus Thornton all have expiring contracts.

And Wallace and Jeff Green will have expiring contracts in 2016.

It's not like the Celts will not lose any players for the next 2 years.

[/QUOTE]

There was a nice piece on CSNNE that was illustrating my point. Ainge is acquiring assets. You can only have 12 players active so how are you going to develop 9 first round draft picks while developing Smart, Oly, Sullinger, Young, and Zeller while having Bradley around with a large contract for the next 4 years?

[/QUOTE]

You use those picks to move up to get higher quality players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

You can only have 12 active players, but you can keep 15 players.

Players are going to get injured in the course of an 82-game season.

That's why Babb made the team when Bayless got hurt.

If not traded or let go this season, Celts will not have Thornton, Bass, Anthony, and maybe Rondo next season.

Fav also doesn't have a guaranteed contract next season.

Right now the only players that will most likely remain for next season are Green, Wallace, AB, Sully, Oly, Smart, Young, and Zeller.

That's just 8 players.

Besides, the Celts can always try to move up in the draft by offering multiple picks for a pick in the top 5.

Having a lot of picks is not a problem.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to billge's comment:

You can use two draft choices to get a higher pick in any given draft,

Bingo!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

Bingo again!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Or you use them to entice another team to help you get some Love.

I now hope James goes back to MIA.........because then CLE is out of the Love-stakes.

Should then be between BOS, PHO and GSW........should be!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Or you use them to entice another team to help you get some Love.

I now hope James goes back to MIA.........because then CLE is out of the Love-stakes.

Should then be between BOS, PHO and GSW........should be!

PHO has Eric Bledsoe to offer.

Not to mention the Lakers' 2015 1st rounder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to teejaytee70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great trade.  We got something for nothing.  Now, hopefully, Cleveland can sign LeBron and Trade for Love, so we can put the Kevin Love nightmare behind us!

First of all we probably want the LeBron deal to fall through, if it does than the Cavs are a mid tier playoff team at best and the #1 pick we just received will be better.

Secondly can we stop pretending like Love is a bad player because he didn't win a ring in Minnesota?  This is such a heaping pile of sht, it smells to high heaven.  How many rings did LeBron win in Cleveland with a substantially better cast that Love had in Minny.  The best player Love played with was who; Ricky Rubio?

I swear only on this board is "great" not even good enough.  If he was asked to play on the Dream Team by coach K and continues to put up such obscene numbers than he is as good as advertised.  

You can't fake 26 points, 13 boards,  4 assists, 1 block and one steal a game.  You just can't do it.  

And there isn't some unquantifiable characteristic that he is lacking, it's a joke.  

I'm not trying to pile on here teejay because maybe I misunderstood your position but if not you are far from alone.  Love is the real deal, we're desperate for a talent like him, don't get it twisted.

[/QUOTE]

LeBron's Cleveland teams went ALOT further than Love's Minnesota teams.  It's not that he hasn't won a ring in Minnesota.  It's that he hasn't even got them to the playoffs in 6 years - not even an 8th seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Not saying Love isn't a good player, but is he worth emptying all your assets for?  Is he a Rondo a championship nucleus???????  I don't think so.  If Love is the next KG, then Jeff Green is the next LeBron James.  I'm sorry, but a team with Love and Rondo with max contracts is not a contending team; it's a 43 win team.

How about keeping our assets and clearing some cap space and going into the lottery next year and maybe signing a guy like Al Jefferson for alot less money than Love will command?  Is Love so much more of an impact player than Jefferson?  I don't think so.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Is Love so much more of an impact player than Jefferson?  I don't think so.

[/QUOTE]

Better, younger, less injury, shoots 46% from three point land, Big AL doesn't shoot threes... Yes Love is better, I agree you don't break the bank but a #1, one of our young players and a contract player is not "too much."  Even if we don't get him and he plays out his one year deal we should go after him next year.... If that falls through sign Big Al instead.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Better, younger, less injury, shoots 46% from three point land, Big AL doesn't shoot threes... Yes Love is better, I agree you don't break the bank but a #1, one of our young players and a contract player is not "too much."  Even if we don't get him and he plays out his one year deal we should go after him next year.... If that falls through sign Big Al instead.

How can you sign someone who's not a free-agent?

Big Al signed a multi-year contract with Charlotte last year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

Like getting Zeller and the #1 draft pick (If Lebron goes back to Cleveland , this is pick #26 - #30) , so was it really necessary to take on Marcus Thornton's contract ? Couldn't Ainge have done a little better tha that ? Why not just give the whole $10.3M trade exception to Paul Pierce ? I'd much rather have him than Thornton, wouldn't you ?

Don't understand how Cleveland is giving us a #1 and Zeller when we give them nothing.....

I don't know about this trade

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you sign someone who's not a free-agent?

[/QUOTE]

He has an opt out clause after the second year.  So, if he opts out, then I would make a play for him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

In response to myurkus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zeitgeist49's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thornton is the biggest piece for the Celts in this trade. I believe DA moves RR within the next year. That leaves Smart and AB in the backcourt -  two defensive oriented guards with questionable outside shots. With Thornton added, the Celts backcourt gets some added offense. Thornton paired with Smart or AB is more than adequate. Most posters seem to over-value Zeller. He hasn't even averaged 7 ppg. and 5 rebounds per game. And clearly Zeller isn't going to protect the rim. He may be an adequate backup center at best.  The Celts need a legit big man who can protect the rim or at least a center who can give us 10 rebounds a night. Zeller gives us neither. The obvious key to the Celts long term success is what DA does with all those accumulated 1st round picks. And Ainge can deal Rondo and Green so he has multiple attractive trade options. I can easily see the Celts becoming one of the top 5 teams within 5 years.

[/QUOTE]

I think you undervalue Zeller.  His numbers aren't great, but look at his minutes.  If he plays more, and obviously improves, He could be a 15-10 guy.  We have to at least give him a chance.

[/QUOTE]

There is a reason Zeller wasn't given a lot of minutes. Have you seen him play ? I doubt he will ever be a 15-10 guy. But we shall see.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Give it up on PP..   He's old and wearing out..  He had a good run. Time to move on

Always Right.....at least in my mind

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

He has an opt out clause after the second year.  So, if he opts out, then I would make a play for him.

I don't think MJ's going to let him go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo again!

[/QUOTE]

Ainge tried that this year and it didn't work.  Next years draft has the potential to be loaded too. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

Like getting Zeller and the #1 draft pick (If Lebron goes back to Cleveland , this is pick #26 - #30) , so was it really necessary to take on Marcus Thornton's contract ? Couldn't Ainge have done a little better tha that ? Why not just give the whole $10.3M trade exception to Paul Pierce ? I'd much rather have him than Thornton, wouldn't you ?

Don't understand how Cleveland is giving us a #1 and Zeller when we give them nothing.....

I don't know about this trade

Thornton is an expiring contract. Good for potential trades.  I don't think Paul Pierce is walking through those doors this year.  If Lebron bails and stays in Miami then that's a really good draft pick for nothing. What's not to like ? A really good move by Danny. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you sign someone who's not a free-agent 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bam! 

That is how you use facts to take a snotty, arrogant and INCORRECT barb by the board bully and turn it into the ignorant personal attack it is.

I mean, Al's contract is right there on hoopshype, Fierce just couldn't wait to try and be the smartest guy in the room again when it is childish trash like this that is the reason he was banned. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

How can you sign someone who's not a free-agent 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bam! 

That is how you use facts to take a snotty, arrogant and INCORRECT barb by the board bully and turn it into the ignorant personal attack it is.

I mean, Al's contract is right there on hoopshype, Fierce just couldn't wait to try and be the smartest guy in the room again when it is childish trash like this that is the reason he was banned. 

[/QUOTE]

Your posts are on target as usual.

+100!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Bam! 

A player option doesn't mean he's a free-agent until he decides to opt out.

Have you heard of any news of Big Al opting out?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Bam! 

[/QUOTE]

A player option doesn't mean he's a free-agent until he decides to opt out.

Have you heard of any news of Big Al opting out?

[/QUOTE]

Like Love?

It happens.

Bottom line, he's a FA if he wants to be!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:

Like Love?

It happens.

Bottom line, he's a FA if he wants to be!

Love already announced he's opting out and not coming back to Minny next season.

But I haven't heard of any news regarding Big Al opting out.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

James Irving love

do the cavs have more players to win it all? I think James is pondering that

i think with da, our coach and all the draft picks , rondo stay or go for something and there is reason for hope

but the nba isn't like the nfl, 

with all the possibilities , we need a Durant . I like that he was a Celtic fan

I like DA a ton, but it is still a Karp shoot

, the caves with labor on could have 3 number 2 picks, and there is still no guarantee they. Win a.championship

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land