Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Re: Celts Get T.Zeller and Marcus Thornton

Zeller is no way similar to Hawes.

Hawes is a career 36% 3pt shooter.

Zeller is a career .000% 3pt shooter.

That stat alone tells you they are not the same type of big man.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

That stat alone tells you they not the same type of big man.

on that same note, we dont need a center shooting 3pt..we already have too many trying 3pointers!!! too many guys..leave that to the guards and SF

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:

on that same note, we dont need a center shooting 3pt..we already have too many trying 3pointers!!! too many guys..leave that to the guards and SF

True.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

Guys, let's  not pretend DA made this trade because he likes Zeller or thornton.  They are filler.  The trade was we let clear clear space today and they give us a 1st round pick us cap space next year in terms of an expiring contract.  Plus we. We need a warm body to play center for the next year or 2 while we tank and wait for our youngsters to grow and wait for Lebron to age.

i love it.  But let's be realistic and not pretend we just got some incredible players

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

"Fierce expected the Celtics to allow the TPE to expire, not use it b/c the team was 'rebuilding' and to stay right around or under the salary cap line."

Really?

Can you show proof that I said that?

You already forgot how you and Mployee attacked me when I proposed using the TPE on Lin and the Rockets' 1st rounder?

Umm, that was my idea WEEKS before you stole it.

It was Bass (or Bogans if it had to be all about $ savings) and Fav for Asik and then Lin absorbed through the TPE as a separate deal so the Rockets could have cap space for Melo. 

You were only 'attacked' for the hypocrisy of regurgitating others ideas and then relentlessly bullying them and attacking their 'ideas' when they didn't happen. As if they were actually predictions and not just fun. We know the only prediction made was your 'Rondo will be traded on draft night if Love is not here' one that obviously was a big dud. 

But whatever, you have been banned and exposed. Better behave under your new name or the internet forum that is your entire world might ban another of your lame names. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Zeller vs. Hawes

Some here always liked Hawes.

Some bullied and ranted on and on that Hawes was not an Ainge kind of player. Looks like that crowd was wrong about the type of big DA was targeting.

In Zeller Danny got a more physical, still improving Spencer Hawes who produces the same (except he doesn't shoot 3's) at 1/3 of the cost!

Way to go Danny!

Zeller produced 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per 36 minutes last year with a solid 15.4 PER (Hawes was 15.7) and a shot 54% from the field (Hawes 47%) AND is two years younger AND costs 1.7 and 2.6 million on his rookie deal before RFA where Hawes will cost 5-6 million a year. Wow!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Been waiting for you to chime in.  Knew you'd like this deal, as I do.  Also was hoping to see you write - "where's acie to take a dump on all of this?"

That was classic.

Do you think Zeller can give us 13 and 8 this year?  I do, and I think with Stevens, he'll only get better.  Pair him with Love, and those numbers can go to 15 and 10 - I truly believe that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

In response to anguskahn's comment:

Guys, let's  not pretend DA made this trade because he likes Zeller or thornton.  They are filler.  The trade was we let clear clear space today and they give us a 1st round pick us cap space next year in terms of an expiring contract.  Plus we. We need a warm body to play center for the next year or 2 while we tank and wait for our youngsters to grow and wait for Lebron to age.

i love it.  But let's be realistic and not pretend we just got some incredible players

Mostly agree, but the fillers are surprisingly not too bad.  One is young center with good rookie contract, the other has expiring contract who can give you some good minutes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Now, this is not the grab Love right? if its not, Rondo is not too happy about this trade..so, Rondo is the odd piece here..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

That stat alone tells you they are not the same type of big man.

That comment alone tells you that you are not qualified to discuss basketball with people who actually watch it, played it competitively and understand it.

Zeller has range out to 20 feet. Other than that ONE stat he is VERY similar to Hawes in his style of play and stats. 

Yeesh.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

That comment alone tells you that you are not qualified to discuss basketball with people who actually watch it, played it competitively and understand it.

Zeller has range out to 20 feet. Other than that ONE stat he is VERY similar to Hawes in his style of play and stats. 

Yeesh.

I actually see Hawes and Zeller play every time they play against the Celtics.

You don't see Tyler Zeller going out to the 3pt line to shoot 3s.

Just because their production or stats are similar, it doesn't mean they're the same type of player.

It's simple.

Hawes is a 3pt shooting big man.

Zeller is more of a traditional big man.

Similar numbers does not equal same style.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Umm, that was my idea WEEKS before you stole it.

It was Bass (or Bogans if it had to be all about $ savings) and Fav for Asik and then Lin absorbed through the TPE as a separate deal so the Rockets could have cap space for Melo. 

You were only 'attacked' for the hypocrisy of regurgitating others ideas and then relentlessly bullying them and attacking their 'ideas' when they didn't happen. As if they were actually predictions and not just fun. We know the only prediction made was your 'Rondo will be traded on draft night if Love is not here' one that obviously was a big dud. 

But whatever, you have been banned and exposed. Better behave under your new name or the internet forum that is your entire world might ban another of your lame names. 

If you accuse someone of stealing, you have to have proof.

Regarding the TPE, you said I expected the TPE to expire.

But when I said I proposed Lin and the Rockets' 1st rounder for the TPE, you are claiming that I stole your idea.

You know what that proves?

That proves that I never said I expected the TPE to expire.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Rondo and John Stockton are pass first PGs that usually average 10 assists per game and around 14-16 points per game.

Does that mean Rondo is similar to John Stockton?

Of course not!

Stockton is a very good shooter while Rondo is not.

If players put up similar numbers/stats, that doesn't mean they're automatically the same type of player.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Rotation and minutes I'd want to see right now:

C - Zeller (24 mins), Faverani (16), Olynyk (8)

PF - Sully (32), Olynyk (16)

SF - Green (32), Wallace (16)

SG - Bradley (26), Thornton (18), Smart (4)

PG - Rondo (32), Smart (16)

Quick hits:

- Zeller's per 36 minute production last year, with slight upticks expected for a year 3 improvement, would put him at around 9 points, 6.5 boards and a block in 24 minutes. Nice production for half the game from a 7 footer.

- Bass is the odd man out. I would prefer to give Faverani 16 minutes at center, Sully 32 at PF and keep Zeller and Olynyk at 24 than give Bass the 22 mins he deserves, bench Faverani and cut the minutes of those other three by 2 per game. A Bass trade should happen. Green and Wallace can play PF if an injury goes down. 

- Rondo should be kept at 31-34 minutes.

- Thornton will eek out 18 minutes but even if he deserves to play the 24 or so he has the last 2 years he can't be given those over letting Smart develop. He'll get those at the expense of Pressey. He is a good shooter and helps there. Based on per 36 minute #'s in 2012 and 2013 if he was played 18 minutes he'd give around 9 points on 48/36/87 %'s, which is definitely above average shooting that the C's need.

- Smart should start at PG in the summer league and Pressey back him up. He will need to look to get most of his minutes as Rondo's backup and (if RR is traded) as his successor, while Phil is a steady 3rd PG who can't shoot like Thornton or defend/score like Smart and Bradley, therefore should not see the floor much in the regular season.

- Look for Bradley to run more fun backdoor and fastbreak stuff with RR and Smart, but otherwise be asked to simply be a '3 and D' player in like 26 minutes. Perfectly acceptable for 8 million a year. His D went from elite to simply very good when asked to play 31 minutes instead of 22 and 28 like in 2012/13. If he can regain all-defensive 1st team status while getting his 39% on 3's to 42-43% then look out!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Rotation and minutes I'd want to see right now:

C - Zeller (24 mins), Faverani (16), Olynyk (8)

PF - Sully (32), Olynyk (16)

SF - Green (32), Wallace (16)

SG - Bradley (26), Thornton (18), Smart (4)

PG - Rondo (32), Smart (16)

Quick hits:

- Zeller's per 36 minute production last year, with slight upticks expected for a year 3 improvement, would put him at around 9 points, 6.5 boards and a block in 24 minutes. Nice production for half the game from a 7 footer.

- Bass is the odd man out. I would prefer to give Faverani 16 minutes at center, Sully 32 at PF and keep Zeller and Olynyk at 24 than give Bass the 22 mins he deserves, bench Faverani and cut the minutes of those other three by 2 per game. A Bass trade should happen. Green and Wallace can play PF if an injury goes down. 

- Rondo should be kept at 31-34 minutes.

- Thornton will eek out 18 minutes but even if he deserves to play the 24 or so he has the last 2 years he can't be given those over letting Smart develop. He'll get those at the expense of Pressey. He is a good shooter and helps there. Based on per 36 minute #'s in 2012 and 2013 if he was played 18 minutes he'd give around 9 points on 48/36/87 %'s, which is definitely above average shooting that the C's need.

- Smart should start at PG in the summer league and Pressey back him up. He will need to look to get most of his minutes as Rondo's backup and (if RR is traded) as his successor, while Phil is a steady 3rd PG who can't shoot like Thornton or defend/score like Smart and Bradley, therefore should not see the floor much in the regular season.

- Look for Bradley to run more fun backdoor and fastbreak stuff with RR and Smart, but otherwise be asked to simply be a '3 and D' player in like 26 minutes. Perfectly acceptable for 8 million a year. His D went from elite to simply very good when asked to play 31 minutes instead of 22 and 28 like in 2012/13. If he can regain all-defensive 1st team status while getting his 39% on 3's to 42-43% then look out!

Hey! good one!  I doubt DA is done though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Bingo!

That's why it's premature to throw out minutes and rotations this early.

Here:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/celtics-trade-zeller-thornton-1st-rounder

A league source told CSNNE.com that the Celtics are "far from done" making deals this summer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

It's also premature to declare Tyler Zeller the starting Center.

Last time the Cavs and Celts met, Oly out played both Hawes and Zeller.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?id=400490066

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Bingo!

That's why it's premature to throw out minutes and rotations this early.

Here:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/celtics-trade-zeller-thornton-1st-rounder" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/celtics-talk/celtics-trade-zeller-thornton-1st-rounder

A league source told CSNNE.com that the Celtics are "far from done" making deals this summer.

I dont expect big names in return! hopefully I am wrong..only big name involved has to be Rondo..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

I dont expect big names in return! hopefully I am wrong..only big name involved has to be Rondo..

Agree.

Rondo's only hope of remaining a Celtic is if Ainge can get Kevin Love.

The Celts can still get Kevin Love.

But the Celts would have to overpay for Love.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Agree.

Rondo's only hope of remaining a Celtic is if Ainge can get Kevin Love.

The Celts can still get Kevin Love.

But the Celts would have to overpay for Love.

[object HTMLDivElement]

It is worth it, now.

Rondo - Bradley - Green - Love  - Oly

Smart - Thornton - Young/Wallace - Sully - Zeller

That is is playoff team.  We may make it back to the playoffs before the lakers and every other team in the lottery.....except the Cavs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

It is worth it, now.

Rondo - Bradley - Green - Love  - Oly

Smart - Thornton - Young/Wallace - Sully - Zeller

That is is playoff team.  We may make it back to the playoffs before the lakers and every other team in the lottery.....except the Cavs.

If the Celts still have Oly and Sully, who did you trade for Love?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Zeller vs. Hawes

Some here always liked Hawes.

Some bullied and ranted on and on that Hawes was not an Ainge kind of player. Looks like that crowd was wrong about the type of big DA was targeting.

In Zeller Danny got a more physical, still improving Spencer Hawes who produces the same (except he doesn't shoot 3's) at 1/3 of the cost!

Way to go Danny!

Zeller produced 13.7 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.3 blocks per 36 minutes last year with a solid 15.4 PER (Hawes was 15.7) and a shot 54% from the field (Hawes 47%) AND is two years younger AND costs 1.7 and 2.6 million on his rookie deal before RFA where Hawes will cost 5-6 million a year. Wow!

[object HTMLDivElement]

Been waiting for you to chime in.  Knew you'd like this deal, as I do.  Also was hoping to see you write - "where's acie to take a dump on all of this?"

That was classic.

Do you think Zeller can give us 13 and 8 this year?  I do, and I think with Stevens, he'll only get better.  Pair him with Love, and those numbers can go to 15 and 10 - I truly believe that!

Boom! Glad you love this deal too! What is there not to like? (other than using the TPE and going over the cap if you were in Fiercy's camp and said the C's would not do this)

If Zeller improves like he did year one to year two in PER and per 36 minutes production he definitely can do what you are asking. 

Toss his per games #'s b/c as a rookie he was thrown into the fire when Varejao was hurt so he had more minutes/bigger #'s but didn't perform as well on the court when out there as he did year two when he was a backup.

Hid PER jumped from 11 to 15.4 and his per 36 #'s went from 10.8p/7.8r/1.2b and 44/76%'s to 13.7p/9.7r/1.3b and 54/72 %'s. Get the FT's back to 76% (more time on the court), keep the FG% over 50%. Improve the points/boards/blocks per 36 to 16/12/1.6 and improve that PER from 15.4 to 17 and give him Bass's 27 minutes.

What do we have?

12 points, 9 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, 50+% from the floor and 75+% from the line and an active hustling slightly above average defender. He'll struggle against Big Al, Cousins, Drummond types Howard but be a solid option against your Bosh, Aldridge, Noah, Valanciunas, Duncan and Pau Gasol types.

Gortat had a 17.6 PER in his career/contract year. Asik was only a 14.9 PER in his 82 games started, 30 mins a game 10.1p/11.7r/1.1 block career season in 2013 before Howard arrived.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

I have a feeling Min wont budge, not for the Celtics.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

Guys there is no need projecting any lineups because I think the entire team will look different by August.

Ainge has more chips than he did in 2007. If Hayward is getting upwards of $15M by next week guys like Bass, Green, AB and Sully are going to be very attractive. Teams are throwing around money for marginal players once the top FAs sign.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

You do realize that even with the addition of Thornton and Zeller, the Celts just have 70.1m in total guaranteed salaries.

Bass' salary is 6.9m.

70.1m - 6.9m = 63.2m

Celts are just a contract away from being a team not over the cap.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to BirdLewsBias' comment:

Guys there is no need projecting any lineups because I think the entire team will look different by August.

Ainge has more chips than he did in 2007. If Hayward is getting upwards of $15M by next week guys like Bass, Green, AB and Sully are going to be very attractive. Teams are throwing around money for marginal players once the top FAs sign.

BINGO!!!

That I totally agree!

Sections
Shortcuts