Celts/Knicks opening game thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Celts/Knicks opening game thread

Carmelo gets the superstar call at a critical moment.  Clean steal and he falls down so it LOOKS like a foul.  Terrible!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Crawford is a bum.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Great game but no matter how much we came back, a loss is a loss.  We need to WIN this game, not just look good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

The T on Pavlovic just says it all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

Good game without our captain.
    Rondo's play and that of Bass are very encouraging for the rest of the season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Sasha and Dooling, fun while it lasted, good luck for your next team(s) - soon I hope. Those guys didi nothing at all except cost the Celtics points and turnovers/fouls. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I HATE to lose a close game, however.  We had the lead and gave it up so I'm discouraged about our inability to finish.  Our D and our execution down the stretch were weak.  Rondo was all world until the last 3 minutes.  Nothing at that point.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Celts/Knicks opening game thread:
    Bradley screwed this up. We had an 8-point lead at the start of the 4th qtr. when Bradley forced a shot that got blocked then he turned the ball over on the next Celts possession. Ugh!
    Posted by Fiercest34

Agree - he should not be out there in the second half!!  We will miss Jeff Green, but I LOVE Bass!!  Whoever said it was an even swap for Baby doesn't know squat!!
    Rebounding in the first half killed us!!! We got behind because we gave them too many 2nd shots!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFURY13. Show DFURY13's posts

Bottom line Paul Pierce plays this is a much different game. Celtics probably win by 10. Carmelo wouldn't have scored as many points.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Bradley screwed this up. We had an 8-point lead at the start of the 4th qtr. when Bradley forced a shot that got blocked then he turned the ball over on the next Celts possession. Ugh!
    Posted by Fiercest34

this is exactly what happen....bradley should never see the court....and that force shot my god what the hell was he thinking...that guy is a hog.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Moore should get Bradley's minutes from here on out

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't even bother watching when I know that either of the Crawfords are reffing the game where the Celtics are involved,I't's just a foregone conclussion that the opposing team will reap the benefits of either of those two anti Celtic referees. True to my prediction the Celtics lost because with 8 minutes left in the game the Celtics were in the penalty,wow that's a shocker,Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Bottom line Paul Pierce plays this is a much different game. Celtics probably win by 10. Carmelo wouldn't have scored as many points.

Exactly. The upgrade from Daniels/Pavlovic to Pierce/Pietrus cannot be overstated. Even if you give the Knicks a healthy Baron Davis over Toney Douglas, the Celtics still would have won this game by 10.

Daniels contributed next to nothing and Pavlovic played horrendously. Maybe they'll get better with time, but the Celtics won't need much from them. A week from now, Pierce and Pietrus will be getting the bulk of the SF minutes and that will improve this roster immeasurably.

To only lose by 2 points against a much-improved Knicks team at a rocking Madison Square Garden on Opening Day, without Pierce and the team's best bench scorer should be cause for optimism. Rajon Rondo demonstrated an ability to shoot jumpers. He didn't shy away from taking open shots and he paced the team extremely well. His court vision remains as superb as ever. Brandon Bass was a revelation, rebounding fiendishly and knocking in putbacks that the last couple of years would have resulted in defensive rebounds. He has better shooting range than I expected. Chris Wilcox, who should have played more minutes in my opinon, also showed grit and tenacity in the paint. I loved how he never gave up on a loose ball inside. Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen had flashes of their normal brilliant selves, although couldn't seem to sustain it. That's to be expected when former stars enter their dotage.

Of course I'm frustrated by the inability of the Celtics to maintain late game leads, however there was a lot to be positive about in this game and good reason to be encouraged about the prospects for the season. We already know the Celtics don't need to earn the best record in the Conference, nor do they even need to win the Atlantic Division title to make some noise in the playoffs. Just make the post-season, hope that somebody else knocks off Miami, and the Celtics could have as good a chance as anyone.

I cannot emphasize enough the improved production the Celtics can expect with Pierce and Pietrus playing in front of Daniels and Pavlovic. I also have faith in Ainge to add a defensive stopper who can slow down the Carmelo Anthonys and LeBron James' of the league. Someone like DeShawn Stevenson would be a much better fit than Sasha Pavlovic.

The 2011-2012 Boston Celtics will be a very good team. Today confirmed it. I also say that as someone who fully expects the Celtics to lose against the Heat on Tuesday night. Once April rolls around, this loss will mean nothing, as long as the Celtics finish in the top 8, preferably the top 5, which should be eminently achievable. The Bulls, Heat, and maybe the Knicks will be superior regular season teams. After them, there's no reason why the Celtics can't boast the best record.

Merry Christmas all. I, for one, am excited.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

After that game it looks obvious:
    The Cs need another big small forward (hopefully that will be Pietrus).
    They desperately need a backup PG (and a SG as well).
    Dooling and Bradley were more than bad. Actually Moore can't be worse than Bradley so far.

Bass looked like an All Star today. Hopefully that will last. (Unfortunately JJJ will stick on bench like glue after that display).
    Rondo looked great (until the last 3 minutes). Hopefully that will be a first step.
    One user mentioned it here: The "hate" on rondo just comes because he has the potential to be a MVP in this league. He "just" needs one fundamental aspect to be filled.

I really really really hate this ref called J.C.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

We had nothing going to the basket at the end.  We are a jump shooting team as everyone knows (especially the opposing teams).  For those with no respect for Jeff Green, he's exactly what we need (along with Pierce, of course)......someone who can go to the basket and get fouled or get an easy hoop.   We had none of that and it allowed them to smother KG and Ray.  Add to this the fact that Rondo lost all jump shot confidence in the last 3 minutes.  He's better at the jump shot and free throws clearly, but still not willing and able to take and hit the crunch time jumper.

Gotta love Bass's play.  We just need young legs at the end of games because KG and Ray will always have old legs at the end with no abilty to go to the hole.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

The momentum shifted when Bradley came in. That was game right there..Our worst pick was Dooling. Rondo cant play all the minutes and we cant rely on Bradley/Dooling.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Celts/Knicks opening game thread : No low post threat. Even when KG had a mismatch with Toney Douglas, KG still opted to take a jumper instead of taking advantage of the smaller Douglas in the paint.
    Posted by Fiercest34

This is exactly right, but we have known this for a long time.  Its not his game and we're not ever going to get that from him consistently (he's rail thin and too old and weak to jump over anyone or bully anyone).  So, knowing that.......we gotta find other ways to get to the hole.  Doc's responsibility, Danny's responsibility, and Rondo/Ray/Bass is to find ways to get us baskets underneath.

KG should do it but we KNOW he's not that player.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

Posted by DFURY13

Rubbish. You can only play who is in front of you and NY beat the green. If PP would just man up instead of lamely putting up (w)heelgate, then Boston may have sneaked a win. Sick of his lame excuses. Move him Danny!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

The momentum shifted when Bradley came in. That was game right there..Our worst pick was Dooling. Rondo cant play all the minutes and we cant rely on Bradley/Dooling.
    Posted by cabutan

One of the top criticisms on this Board is that Doc doesn't give Rookies and young players a chance.   When he does and we lose leads (all the time), we say they shouldn't have been in!  

Bottom line is we don't have anyone to spell Rondo and Ray in critical situations.   Bradley and Dooling give us nothing but Doc has vowed to give them a chance and he's doing it.  We're all seeing why Doc didn't want to give the backup guards, other than Delonte, any time last year (Arroyo, Bradley, Wafer).  This year, they'll get time and we'll lose leads every time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Celts/Knicks opening game thread : Doc doesn't call plays for Rondo in the last three minutes because of his poor foul shooting. We ran plays and got open looks, we just did not knock them down. Pierce will be back soon.
    Posted by Kirk6

I'd rather see Rondo shooting a fould shot than us not even getting a shot.  Rondo's foul shooting can't improve until he starts getting comfortable with those pressure situations.

Sections
Shortcuts