Celts Still After Asik?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MitchUnderpants. Show MitchUnderpants's posts

Re: Celts Still After Asik?

In response to Fierce34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-power-rankings--trail-blazers-move-into-top-spot-053707788.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

20. Boston Celtics (12-17; last week's ranking: 17): The Rockets let their self-imposed deadline to trade center Omer Asik pass, but Boston is still having trade discussions in hopes of landing him, a source said.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so.  And notice the rankings include The ATL at #12.  Meaning one of our two, prescious, 1st round picks would be nothing more than another 'project' player.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to MitchUnderpants' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-power-rankings--trail-blazers-move-into-top-spot-053707788.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

20. Boston Celtics (12-17; last week's ranking: 17): The Rockets let their self-imposed deadline to trade center Omer Asik pass, but Boston is still having trade discussions in hopes of landing him, a source said.

[/QUOTE]

I hope so.  And notice the rankings include The ATL at #12.  Meaning one of our two, prescious, 1st round picks would be nothing more than another 'project' player.

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

We got Rondo and Sullinger in the later rounds.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to chris33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

[/QUOTE]

And Bradley

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I'm ready to make this deal. This team has no identity and I know we're rebuilding but to lose games like the Wiz and Pacers games is just stunning.

Time to do something with Crawford. He's just too cool, takes bad shots and can't run a team. Green is a reluctant scorer when you need him to be aggressive. We're too small when Sully is trying to play Hibbert.

Again, this team isn't really a team just a collection of players that don't fit together. Get Asik and Rondo healthy. Then you have a true PG and C to truly evaluate everyone in their true positions.

Either totally tank or try to be good, but don't tease us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

They should be pursuing Asik until he's eventually traded.  He wouldn't necessarily make this team better for this year, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle.  If anything, the Rockets self-imposed deadline probably showed them that they aren't dealing from a position of strength even though they were hoping to create a bidding war.  If DA can get Asik for a reasonable package of players and a pick (if he doesn't have to give up a potential lottery pick) I say he should do the deal. 

This team needs a legit 5, someone who can play 30 mins. a night.  Asik is that guy. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Asik as I am of hearing about him, I'll take him But he better be as good as some here represent him or the y hear about it forever. Second, we give up nodraft choices. May be fools gold, but we need to use them wisely this one time.  And no Billy B , i'll give you my first round for three twos. Then somehow we need one linch pin , king pin free agent , and I guess you know it won't be Lebron, right?

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdLewsBias. Show BirdLewsBias's posts

I still wouldn't give up a 2014 #1 but I would give up a 2015 #1 for Asik. Only in years where you have multiple picks. It's harder to play big when you're small than it is to play small when you're big...unless you have LBJ. I would rather have a legitimate C than a bunch of PFs trying to play C. I would also like to have a legitimate PG rather than a bunch of SGs trying to play PG.

There are two spots on the court that you just cannot make up for and that's PG and C....again unless you have LBJ. You can lack one but you can't lack both...see Indy. The Pacers cannot win a title with Hill as the starting PG.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

It's a game of who blinks first now.

HOU has to say they want to keep him, but they will field all offers.

DA can't budge from his current offer.

I would throw in a 2014 draft pick here - we will stink by the end of the year - let them have the worse of our two picks this year........Asik is better than anyone we could get there, and we could still get Embiid!

Moving Wallace will be key.  Moving Hump is very secondary now.

Someone answer me this - I think I know.

Will Bradley and Crawford be RFA's or FA's?  What I want to know is - can we match any offer they get, or did that ship sail?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    They are all projects,from 1 to 60.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from debrit. Show debrit's posts

Picking high in the draft,does not means that you get a frachise player.Takes 3-4 years to develop a young player.D,ont forget these guys have only high played only high school level and in most case,one year of college level.They know how to dunk,most of them are poor free throws shooters.Takes time to get a nba body and game developed.Go celtics.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Go for Embiid, not Asik.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

Go for Embiid, not Asik.

might be hard to get hmi without the top pick!.

no less than the third pick.

and getting that high up not only requires having a very bad record this year.....but LUCK wiht those piing pong balls.

I've never counted on those lotto balls since 97.

Billups and Mercer...yeah...GREAT!

bottom line for me is, if you can make the team better now with a trade you do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to kdp59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Go for Embiid, not Asik.

[/QUOTE]

and getting that high up not only requires having a very bad record this year.....but LUCK wiht those piing pong balls.

bottom line for me is, if you can make the team better now with a trade you do it.

[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is Asik makes $15 million dollars next year.

We can do better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.

[/QUOTE]

And Bradley

[/QUOTE]

Brooklyn and Atlanta will both likely land in the teens for picks.

This draft is DEEP. If Danny drafts like he does 60% of the time (Rondo, Sully, Bradley, Tony Allen, Al Jefferson, Delonte West) in the 15-25 range and not the way he drafts 40% of the time (Marcus Banks, Gerald Green, Jujuan Johnson, Fab Melo) this team should land two VERY quality players.

Thing is you really need to be top 12, and ideally top 6 to land an all-star franchise player. Even his best two picks, Rondo and Big Al (throw Green in there too before the Ray trade) are all 3rd best players on contenders, 2nd best players on playoff clubs borderline all-star guys. Not the all-nba 1st/2nd team types we desperately need one of. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Depends on the price, if his cost makes it impossible to sign Sully and Bradley, plus a top talent on the team, then we need to think.  The Bigs we have, playing with Rondo and adding a good player through the draft or trade, would look much better than they do now.  We must have a go to player and he is not on the team at this time.  By draft or trade we must obtain a top talent.  Do not spent too much on a second line center like the one the Rockets put on the bench.  Sullinger at this time may be better than what we get in the draft, so we are most likely looking at a trade for a top talent to lead this team.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to kdp59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Go for Embiid, not Asik.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bottom line is Asik makes $15 million dollars next year.

We can do better.

[/QUOTE]

yes and he is making $5M this year...next year is the final year of his deal and Humphries $12 is off the books next season. os the Celtics can obsorb the extra $10M for next year and still have moeny for one of the two first round picks.

add in Bogans $5M gone and you have the money for the other first round pick AND giving AB a $3M raise .

Crawford and Brooks make over $4M combined this year also,so you could even resign Crawford.

the $15M is NOT a problem for one year.

and NO Asik won;t get that           on any extended deal....$8-10M is his top end in the open market.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They should be pursuing Asik until he's eventually traded.  He wouldn't necessarily make this team better for this year, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle.  If anything, the Rockets self-imposed deadline probably showed them that they aren't dealing from a position of strength even though they were hoping to create a bidding war.  If DA can get Asik for a reasonable package of players and a pick (if he doesn't have to give up a potential lottery pick) I say he should do the deal. 

This team needs a legit 5, someone who can play 30 mins. a night.  Asik is that guy. 

[/QUOTE]

I like Asik a lot, but what is this story about the Rockets now questioning his knee injury return timetable ? I didn't know Asik had a bad knee.

But if healthy, Asik is more than a nice piece of the puzzle, he's a key piece of the puzzle. Definitely a top 5 center, hard to see him failing on the Celtics with a guard like Rondo setting him up ,  Rondo could make Asik could be a 20p 12r performer every night for the Celtics , solid defender too

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to billge's comment:

Asik as I am of hearing about him, I'll take him But he better be as good as some here represent him or the y hear about it forever. Second, we give up nodraft choices. May be fools gold, but we need to use them wisely this one time.  And no Billy B , i'll give you my first round for three twos. Then somehow we need one linch pin , king pin free agent , and I guess you know it won't be Lebron, right?

The good thing about Asik is he's a true Center.

He's lacking in the offensive end, but as a rim protector, he's the next best thing to KG.

Also, the Celts can get 7 more years from Asik, playing at a high level.

Unlike guards, Centers usually last longer because they're not too dependent on speed and quickness.

So the Celts will have a quality Center for the next 7 seasons if they can get Asik.

[/QUOTE]

14.9 million for a "rim protector" who held opponents to 46% shooting when he was within 5 ft to the shot attempt that ranked him 31st for qualified bigs... When guys like Boogie Cousins (44.9%), Greg Stiemsma (41.7%), or Nick Collison (45.5%) all "protect the rim” more effectively I’m not sure if I see the bargain. 

Stats from Kirk Goldsberry’s analysis of interior defense presented at the Sloan Conference:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=10179

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Danny Ainge is one of the best talent evaluators in the NBA, I'd keep the picks.  There is no quick fix in today's NBA unless you get very lucky and a disgruntled all star wants to come to your hometown.  The way to rebuild is through the draft, continue to add pieces like Indiana has done, get a good coach (like we have) and do it patiently.  

I know fans aren't that patient but that's the way it is, count yourselves lucky we have a good front office and ownership.  Asik can't save us now and if we got him it would only be to shed his overweight contract at the end of the year.  The guy is a role player.

25. This post has been removed.