Celts Still After Asik?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

Re: Celts Still After Asik?

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to KJandHondo's comment:

14.9 million for a "rim protector" who held opponents to 46% shooting when he was within 5 ft to the shot attempt that ranked him 31st for qualified bigs... When guys like Boogie Cousins (44.9%), Greg Stiemsma (41.7%), or Nick Collison (45.5%) all "protect the rim” more effectively I’m not sure if I see the bargain. 

Stats from Kirk Goldsberry’s analysis of interior defense presented at the Sloan Conference:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=10179

If the Celts can get Asik for Bass, Lee, and a protected 1st rounder, it's a bargain.

Also, Asik is not being paid 14.9m per year.

His salary is 5m, 5m, and 14.9m.

That's 8.4m per year on average.

If not Asik then who?

The Celts will be stuck in mediocrity if they keep playing Sullinger at Center.

I agree Playing Sully at center is not a good idea he's a PF.  I was referring to how next year Asik is at 14.9 and then you need to resign him at most likely a higher salary (yes I know it's not 14.9 on the cap but it's still a lot for him).  The more you look at his stats defensivly he is average if anything.  52% success rate when he is defending the rim is no where close to elite. What are the other options? Well at this point it's Asik or Sanders and as I've covered ad nauseam is the vast difference in defensive effeciency bt both if those players (Sanders rim protection: 38.4%). 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

14.9 million for a "rim protector" who held opponents to 46% shooting when he was within 5 ft to the shot attempt that ranked him 31st for qualified bigs... When guys like Boogie Cousins (44.9%), Greg Stiemsma (41.7%), or Nick Collison (45.5%) all "protect the rim” more effectively I’m not sure if I see the bargain. 

Stats from Kirk Goldsberry’s analysis of interior defense presented at the Sloan Conference:

http://www.sloansportsconference.com/?p=10179

If the Celts can get Asik for Bass, Lee, and a protected 1st rounder, it's a bargain.

Also, Asik is not being paid 14.9m per year.

His salary is 5m, 5m, and 14.9m.

That's 8.4m per year on average.

If not Asik then who?

The Celts will be stuck in mediocrity if they keep playing Sullinger at Center.

My phone was acting up didn't mean to double post

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

The only reason why I strongly insist getting Asik is a good idea is because it will only cost us Lee, Bass, and a protected 1st rounder.

If the Rockets ask for an unprotected 1st rounder, I don't want Asik anymore.

To be realistic, the Celts are most likely not getting Asik or Larry Sanders.

If we want a rim protector, we have to draft one.

Okay that's something I too agree on... 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KJandHondo. Show KJandHondo's posts

Your right Sully at center is not a good plan if the goal is making the team better he needs to play PF.  As for Asik I was referring to next year when his contract goes up to 14.9M (yes I know it not all on the cap but it's still a lot).  And as you look at Asik's defensive efficiency statistics it becomes obvious if anything he is an average defender/rim protector.  When you allow opponents to score at a rate of 52% when you are defending the paint you are not elite when players like Hibbert and Sanders have efficiencies of  38.2% and 38.4% respectively.  So when the only options are Asik and Sanders at this early stage there'a a vast difference supporting Sanders over Asik if thr goal is a big man defender that will allow Sully to play 4.  

Larry Sanders is only an option because Mike Dyer13 said so.

But in reality, there are no reports saying the Celts are after Sanders.

Larry Sanders is just too risky.

His contract of 11m per year expires in 2018.

And common sense tells us that Milwaukee is having buyer's remorse.

I mean why make Larry Sanders available when you just locked him up until 2018, right?

Well wasnt he responding on an article saying the Bucks where open to trade talks around him?  I think from the Bucks standpoint if those reports were true means they are deep at the position and feel they could use Sanders to accomplish some goal like cap space, picks, or a position gap.  I too have no idea what one of those options they are looking at also might be that they feel they have a top 3 pick almost locked up and if need be could get Embiid who I think will be better than Sanders even though I like him as a basketball player.  But yeah, I haven't heard anything linking DA to Sanders so at this point it does seem way more unlikely than Asik who has.  And if (its a big if) Sanders can reproduce those defensive stats even with little improvement in rbs or Pts 11M isn't that bad for a Center.   

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to PHX85014's comment:

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

They should be pursuing Asik until he's eventually traded.  He wouldn't necessarily make this team better for this year, but he's a nice piece to the puzzle.  If anything, the Rockets self-imposed deadline probably showed them that they aren't dealing from a position of strength even though they were hoping to create a bidding war.  If DA can get Asik for a reasonable package of players and a pick (if he doesn't have to give up a potential lottery pick) I say he should do the deal. 

This team needs a legit 5, someone who can play 30 mins. a night.  Asik is that guy. 

I like Asik a lot, but what is this story about the Rockets now questioning his knee injury return timetable ? I didn't know Asik had a bad knee.

But if healthy, Asik is more than a nice piece of the puzzle, he's a key piece of the puzzle. Definitely a top 5 center, hard to see him failing on the Celtics with a guard like Rondo setting him up ,  Rondo could make Asik could be a 20p 12r performer every night for the Celtics , solid defender too

"BCN...greatest radio station of all time...first stereo station I listened too...heard Hendrix's "The Wind Cried Mary" in 1967...never listened to AM radio again...

Asik is better than  what we have and what we can get in the draft...Teamed with Rondo, especially on one of Rondo's drive and dishes, it could be nice....of course, as long as both have healthy knees

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

With the age of the posters here, maybe wecould get on the same meals on wheels route, or send smoke signals back and forth

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to billge's comment:

With the age of the posters here, maybe wecould get on the same meals on wheels route, or send smoke signals back and forth

I'm old and used...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

You better Thank GOD for the older folks son because if we depended on todays youth of America to get us through the rough times we seen in the past, we would all be waking up and Heil Hitler! And for sure, can you find a guitar man that even comes close to Jimi Hendrix? Thought so!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to celticelmo's comment:

You better Thank GOD for the older folks son because if we depended on todays youth of America to get us through the rough times we seen in the past, we would all be waking up and Heil Hitler! And for sure, can you find a guitar man that even comes close to Jimi Hendrix? Thought so!

bills one of us Celts...he's also old and used...he gets it.....he watched the C's when they had great all around players...they have no idea how quickly Rondo would cry to his momma is K.C. Jones covered him for one game when they were both in their prime...heck, forget K.C, he'd get dusted by Duck Chaney!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

In response to melswitts' comment:

bills one of us Celts...he's also old and used...he gets it.....he watched the C's when they had great all around players...they have no idea how quickly Rondo would cry to his momma is K.C. Jones covered him for one game when they were both in their prime...heck, forget K.C, he'd get dusted by Duck Chaney!

K, sorry and Thanks for waking me up Mel. Just sticking up for the old guard, ya know. But honestly, can anyone touch JIMI? So far ahead of his time, it was not even fair.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to melswitts' comment:

K, sorry and Thanks for waking me up Mel. Just sticking up for the old guard, ya know. But honestly, can anyone touch JIMI? So far ahead of his time, it was not even fair.

Nope...definitely the GOAT...no one even close....seems like I've been chasing that sound ever since...never heard anyone even close...Stevie Ray was good, but there was and always will only be one Hendrix...my son is a trained professional musician, plays bass and guitar,  and even he says that Hendrix played stuff that was unreal difficult to ATTEMPT to play...he says Hendrix is the GOAT...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

Guys...I'm outta here for the night...have a great one...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

If you like guitar celticelmo, check out Baden Powell playing Manha de Carnaval on youtube, with a cigarette in his right hand. Amazing

Sections
Shortcuts