Center Steven Adams a draft riser, would he be good in green?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Center Steven Adams a draft riser, would he be good in green?

NBAdraft.net still has Adams in the 20's.

But after the combine and talking to multiple executives Chad Ford has him in the 9-14 range:

Adams' name was especially hot all weekend. His size, athletic ability, defensive skills, soft shooting touch around the basket and excellent interviews all positioned him to move into the lottery from the mid-first round. His rise parallels, to a large degree, what Illinois' Meyers Leonard did last year at the combine. All year, teams feared that Adams didn't have the skill or the mental makeup to be a lottery pick. By Friday, virtually every executive in the NBA was predicting Adams would go somewhere between No. 9 and No. 14 and that he had moved ahead of Kelly Olynyk and Gorgui Dieng on their draft boards.

He is 7'0" 250 lbs with a 7'5" wingspan

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Center Steven Adams a draft riser, would he be good in green?

Here is a scouting report on him from nbadraft.net before he played a Pittsburgh, where he went for 7.2p-6.3r-2b and 57% FG shooting.

Andre Drummond only averaged 10p-7.6r and 53% shootingnhis fresh year at UConn in comparison

Strengths: Bigman with tremendous combination of size, length and athleticism ... Just scratching the surface of his considerable talent ... Extremely fluid. Runs the floor like a deer ... Tremendous rebounder with huge, soft hands and strong arms ... Has a great frame with broad shoulders and already has good amount of strength/weight .... Plays the game with a lot of energy/exuberance. Blue color work ethic/attitude. Has been shielded from the AAU sytem and the pampering and hype that he would have received had he been raised in the USA basketball system ... Tremendous motor and shows a willingness to compete and be coached ... His upside is considerable and he really hasn't developed any bad habits ... Has been working on correcting his jumpshot in the past year, and it has shown considerable improvement, as it had a hitch in it last year at the 2010 adidas Nations (Chicago) and now appears much more fluid ... His feel for the game is surprising considering the amount of time he's been playing the game at a high level ... His passing is good for a bigman showing excellent touch on outlet passes ... Excellent shot blocker. His length makes it very easy for him to block shots, even when he's slightly out of position ... Huge, soft hands makes him a great rebounder ...

Weaknesses: Has never played basketball against a high level of competition, however he's developed a solid base of fundamentals and holds his own against high level players ... Free throw shooting is still a major weakness to his game. But he recognizes that and is working to become better from the line ... Will need to embrace being a star. He's a humble kid and doesn't seem to be overly comfortable in the spotlight, but he has some time to develop his confidence ... Post skills are a work in progress but he seems to have a solid understanding of what he needs to do in the post ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Rame - this guy sounds good, Olynk sounds good, Plumlee sounds good..........what I want is for them to do their homework, and just get us someone  who is NBA READY....NO time in the D-League, no "projects"........and I don't give a rats patoot if he has offensive skills yet.....take up space, rebound and run the floor.  Intimidate and block a shot or two...

IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

In response to Red-16Russ-11's comment:

Rame - this guy sounds good, Olynk sounds good, Plumlee sounds good..........what I want is for them to do their homework, and just get us someone  who is NBA READY....NO time in the D-League, no "projects"........and I don't give a rats patoot if he has offensive skills yet.....take up space, rebound and run the floor.  Intimidate and block a shot or two...

I dont like our track record with drafting bigs..sorry but were drafting a guard..Maybe you havent noticed but we dont have a SG who can actually shoot..or a tall guard period or a back up/replacement for rondo..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to James37's comment:

I dont like our track record with drafting bigs..sorry but were drafting a guard..Maybe you havent noticed but we dont have a SG who can actually shoot..or a tall guard period or a back up/replacement for rondo..

We have Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Terry and Crawford all under contract for next year.......Danny drafted Perk, Jefferson and Sullinger......what "bigs" ruin our track record?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

We have Rondo, Bradley, Lee, Terry and Crawford all under contract for next year.......Danny drafted Perk, Jefferson and Sullinger......what "bigs" ruin our track record?

The BAD ---JaJuan Johnson, FAB MELO. (Perk has been less productive every year since leaving boston). Jefferson I will give you but Sully the verdict is still out on..Now lets look at his histroy with guards, AB, Rondo, Tony Allen - its safe to say they are much better at drafting guards..even the guards not on the team anymore still had decent careers as role players (Bill Walker, E twaun Moore)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

The BAD ---JaJuan Johnson, FAB MELO. (Perk has been less productive every year since leaving boston). Jefferson I will give you but Sully the verdict is still out on..Now lets look at his histroy with guards, AB, Rondo, Tony Allen - its safe to say they are much better at drafting guards..even the guards not on the team anymore still had decent careers as role players (Bill Walker, E twaun Moore)

Don't know how the jury can still be out on Sullinger, but NOT Melo.

Also, we don't have Perk anymore......was he okay when he was here?

He's done MUCH worse with guards......Moore, Walker, Giddens, Greene, Banks, Pruitt............

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

He's done MUCH worse with guards......Moore, Walker, Giddens, Greene, Banks, Pruitt............

I say we dont know how Sully is going to turn out because he didnt play a full season..I never said Ainge is the best at drafting or that he hits on every guard. I am simply saying hes BETTER at drafting guards. And Perkins sucked, he benefited from playing beside KG. He was an above average defender at his peak. His playoff averages this year (2.2 ppg 3.7 rpg) Was he the MVP of the playoffs??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I say we dont know how Sully is going to turn out because he didnt play a full season..I never said Ainge is the best at drafting or that he hits on every guard. I am simply saying hes BETTER at drafting guards. And Perkins sucked, he benefited from playing beside KG. He was an above average defender at his peak. His playoff averages this year (2.2 ppg 3.7 rpg) Was he the MVP of the playoffs??

What a ridiculous comment to make.................

And if Perk "sucked", why did we get worse after he was traded?

He's going big in this draft, deal with it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from James37. Show James37's posts

Get Worst? We were only supposed to have a 3 year window with the big 3 and we did..2 Finals with one resulting in a championship- I'll take that

Not to mention, we have had a solid defense every year since Perkins was traded. (As bad as this year was we were still a top 10 defense). So much for Perkin's 5ppg and 5 rpg (its amazing our offense and defense survived without him)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Get Worst? We were only supposed to have a 3 year window with the big 3 and we did..2 Finals with one resulting in a championship- I'll take that

Not to mention, we have had a solid defense every year since Perkins was traded. (As bad as this year was we were still a top 10 defense). So much for Perkin's 5ppg and 5 rpg (its amazing our offense and defense survived without him)

And Perk was a big part of that........and his last THREE years in BOS, Perk averaged 8.1, 7.6 and 8.1 rpg.

In the future, I would advise you to get your facts straight!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

People don't be carried away by this scouting reports....it is not acurate and sometimes favor certain player it's just a hype...just ask Kwame Brown, Michael Olowokandi, Sam Bowie, Darko Milicic and lot more!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

draft risers and workout warriors always scare me.

seems to me more wash out than pan out.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Danny has had more misses at guard than he has at forward and center EASILY.

He also missed on Marcus Banks (should have been Ridnour), Gerald Green (David Lee) and J.R. Giddens (DeAndre Jordan) but hit on Powe, Big Baby and Gomes.

Bill Walker is a miss IMO based on his upside he should have been a solid rotation player by now. Gabe Pruitt was another miss when the team could have drafted Marc Gasol.

Sully and Melo are too early to know for sure, but if healthy Sully has already shown he is a hit at pick 21. Perk was a big hit, picked like 28th and the starting C for a championship club, two finals clubs, a WCF club and two 2nd round clubs AND he had enough value to land us Jeff Green.

The trade of a draft pick for Telfair was also a bad value move (although it helped get us KG down the road by swapping 2 years of Raef for 1 year of Ratliff).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The Celtics can only pass on a big man in this draft if:

A. A serious talent at guard 'falls' to them. This probably means Muhammad or Carter-Williams. I don't see Oladipo or McCollum falling this far. I'm not a big fan of Caldwell-Pope, Hardaway Jr. or Rice Jr. at pick 16. They are just slight upgrades to Courtney Lee and would force us to make a trade.

B. They know there is a trade in the works involving Lee or Bradley, maybe Crawford or Terry and possibly someone like Bass that brings us a starting quality big man.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

A. A serious talent at guard 'falls' to them. This probably means Muhammad or Carter-Williams. I don't see Oladipo or McCollum falling this far. I'm not a big fan of Caldwell-Pope, Hardaway Jr. or Rice Jr. at pick 16. They are just slight upgrades to Courtney Lee and would force us to make a trade.

B. They know there is a trade in the works involving Lee or Bradley, maybe Crawford or Terry and possibly someone like Bass that brings us a starting quality big man.

nbadraft. net has MIL taking Adams at 15

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah they updated it today, VERY strange that they still have McLemore #1 when its pretty clear the Cavs would take Noel and Porter over him.

They have Muhammad dropping to the C's... that would be amazing. A guy like that is similar to Pierce dropping. Well, since PP was an all-American expected to go top 5 and Muhammad an underachiever Fresh expected to go 5-10, it might be more like Big Al or Rondo dropping 4-8 spots and landing with us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Yeah they updated it today, VERY strange that they still have McLemore #1 when its pretty clear the Cavs would take Noel and Porter over him.

They have Muhammad dropping to the C's... that would be amazing. A guy like that is similar to Pierce dropping. Well, since PP was an all-American expected to go top 5 and Muhammad an underachiever Fresh expected to go 5-10, it might be more like Big Al or Rondo dropping 4-8 spots and landing with us.

I'd rather have Adams than an "under acheiving " frosh who's the same size as Michael Carter-Williams!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Absolutely agree.

There are no NBA ready big men other than Noel in the draft and Adams is at this point WORSE than Melo. He has absolutely NO OFFENSEIVE game and has horrible footwork (like Melo) but unlike Melo is not particularly a good rebounder or shot blocker at 7'.  He is a major project.

Celtics will trade for a starting Center and continue another year or two developing Melo. 

I confidently predict that the Celtics will draft either SGs Carter-Williams or Caldwell-Pope or  Muhammed (G/F) is still around at #16.   

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Where's Acie Earl now that we need him?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Absolutely agree.

There are no NBA ready big men other than Noel in the draft and Adams is at this point WORSE than Melo. He has absolutely NO OFFENSEIVE game and has horrible footwork (like Melo) but unlike Melo is not particularly a good rebounder or shot blocker at 7'.  He is a major project.

Celtics will trade for a starting Center and continue another year or two developing Melo. 

I confidently predict that the Celtics will draft either SGs Carter-Williams or Caldwell-Pope or  Muhammed (G/F) is still around at #16.   

Dieng is actually more NBA ready than Noel, a junior and a National champion who is 230 lbs not 206 lbs, age 23 not 19 and not rehabbing a torn ACL. Zeller is also NBA ready. Noah vs. Dieng is like Howard vs. National champion Emeka Okafor in '04. Only Dieng is going to go 10-20, not #2 like Oak.

But other than that you are correct and I wouldn't bet against your prediction. I just hopw it is Muhammad and we're ready to move Bass and Lee for a legit Center.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Absolutely agree.

Dieng is actually more NBA ready than Noel, a junior and a National champion who is 230 lbs not 206 lbs, age 23 not 19 and not rehabbing a torn ACL. Zeller is also NBA ready. Noah vs. Dieng is like Howard vs. National champion Emeka Okafor in '04. Only Dieng is going to go 10-20, not #2 like Oak.

But other than that you are correct and I wouldn't bet against your prediction. I just hopw it is Muhammad and we're ready to move Bass and Lee for a legit Center.

I wish the Celtics could draft Noel since he is from MA and a big fan of KG.  Imagine him having someone like KG to learn from.  He should have stayed in school for another year since he was injured and only played a partial season. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Scal sure loves this guy:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4705282/adams-a-center-of-attention

Still, VERY raw, would be hard to have TWO young 7 footers in the D-league next year and have either KG or whoever we trade maybe him or others for at C.

Sections
Shortcuts