Championship window not closed yet....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rampageimt23. Show rampageimt23's posts

Championship window not closed yet....

I keep hearing how we are too old and the window has closed but I beg to differ on this.  Just browsing through the Dallas Mavericks roster and noticed overall their core guys are just as old as we are yet here they are in the Finals tied with the Heat 1-1 with home court advantage.  Here is a breakdown:

Ray Allen - 35
    Glen Davis - 25
    KG - 35
    Jeff Green - 24
    Jermaine O'Neal - 32
    Paul Pierce - 33
    Rajon Rondo - 25
    Delonte West - 27
    Nenad Krsitc - 27

JJ Barea - 26
    Caron Butler - 31
    Tyson Chandler - 28
    Brendan Haywood - 31
    Jason Kidd - 38
    Shawn Marion - 33
    Dirk Nowitzki - 32
    Deshawn Stevenson - 30
    Jason Terry - 33

Basically I think if we can avoid injuries and get a solid bench we could be right back in the Finals next year.  Granted the window is closing but I think the Mavs have proved that age doesn't mean that much if you have a good bench.  With the age of the core group of guys we have we need a solid bench who can give us more minutes to give the starters more of a breather.  As much as I hate Danny Ainge I think he was right in saying we also need to learn how to close out games better.  We had Game 4 against Miami all but won but a Rondo missed layup and botched final play in regulation did us in.  A few tweaks to the roster and I think we could be in the mix next year.  But that is my concern.  We are handcuffed salary wise and Danny is not that savvy and creative when it comes to signing free agents.  Someone like a JR Smith would be a nice addition to our second unit but I am not a fan of his attitude and don't think we can afford him unless he takes the MLE.  We need that Jason Terry type guy though on our second unit that can create shots and is a pure scorer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N2thaIzzo. Show N2thaIzzo's posts

Re: Championship window not closed yet....

I agree.  Even in our current financial restraints, we will still be competitors next season.  We will still be one of the top 4 teams in the East, even if we just bring back the same roster.  The key is getting 2 key bench players, i.e. JJ Barea and Jason Terry.  Energy guys that can create their shot so the offense doesn't stall when Pierce goes to the bench.  A big man or 2 wouldn't hurt either...  Not saying that will be enough, just saying, for people to give up on this team is dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

There is only 1 problem, and it is 2 words..................

...........miami heat................ whom I am pretty sure will still be in the leastern conference for the foreseeable future.

Cool

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

All we need is a young athletic big and keep the big four with West, Green, Krstic and Davis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Championship window not closed yet....:
    All we need is a young athletic big and keep the big four with West, Green, Krstic and Davis.
    Posted by maryngary

maybe ainge with his genius basketball mind will get yao ming.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Championship window not closed yet.... : All we need is a young center who can defend and rebound, and a backup point guard. West is not a point guard, he's a two in my opinion.
    Posted by Kirk6

That sounds a lot like perkins whom ainge traded away.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Re: Championship window not closed yet.... : Perkins is damaged goods. But thanks for playing...
    Posted by Kirk6

perkins was damaged goods in game 7 of the 2010 Finals, but he was the anchor of the celtics defense and ainge should be fired for trading him away.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

The championship window is CLOSED--CLOSED--CLOSED:  DA and celtic management will never spend the dollars to recover from the player losses of James Posey, Tony Allen, Kendrick Perkins and P.J. Brown.  DA has not adequately replaced any of them yet and the Big three is older year after year.  Rondo is deliberately thrown down to the floor (dislocated elbow) by one of the league favorites and no one within Boston management even says a peep.

When Perkins was injured , double teamed by Kobe and Bynum, again not even a peep from Celtic management.  I watched that play FRAME for FRAME, OVER and OVER and I can tell you that what I saw was deliberate actions by both Kobe and Bynum to get Perkins out of the game.  I have an older VHS system whiche I taped the game on, the remote allows me to watch frame for frame.  In a nutshell on that play while Perkins was getting ready to go up for any rebound, Kobe placed his hands and his feet on Perkins (four fouls), bolo chopped at him as he was coming down with the ball and Bynum went up in the air and collided with a defenseless Perkins while perk was in the air. You could have called at least 6 fouls on the Lakers on that play. Kobe was very sneaky on the play placing his feet inside Perkins and lifing Perk's right leg just slightly as the ball started to come down. Really sickening to watch.  Yet Celtic management never complained one bit or pointed out what really happened on that play.

I do admit that the celtics did some stupid crap during the game against the lakers, such as Pierce going down to the floor and trying to trip a Laker.  That was sad too and maybe the reason the Celtics never said a word.

I can assure you if Kobe had not gotten Perk off balance and Bynum had not smashed him while he was up in the air (2 on 1), Perkins would not have been injured on that play.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

The championship window is CLOSED--CLOSED--CLOSED:  DA and celtic management will never spend the dollars to recover from the player losses of James Posey, Tony Allen, Kendrick Perkins and P.J. Brown.  DA has not adequately replaced any of them yet and the Big three is older year after year.  Rondo is deliberately thrown down to the floor (dislocated elbow) by one of the league favorites and no one within Boston management even says a peep. When Perkins was injured , double teamed by Kobe and Bynum, again not even a peep from Celtic management.  I watched that play FRAME for FRAME, OVER and OVER and I can tell you that what I saw was deliberate actions by both Kobe and Bynum to get Perkins out of the game.  I have an older VHS system whiche I taped the game on, the remote allows me to watch frame for frame.  In a nutshell on that play while Perkins was getting ready to go up for any rebound, Kobe placed his hands and his feet on Perkins (four fouls), bolo chopped at him as he was coming down with the ball and Bynum went up in the air and collided with a defenseless Perkins while perk was in the air. You could have called at least 6 fouls on the Lakers on that play. Kobe was very sneaky on the play placing his feet inside Perkins and lifing Perk's right leg just slightly as the ball started to come down. Really sickening to watch.  Yet Celtic management never complained one bit or pointed out what really happened on that play. I do admit that the celtics did some stupid crap during the game against the lakers, such as Pierce going down to the floor and trying to trip a Laker.  That was sad too and maybe the reason the Celtics never said a word. I can assure you if Kobe had not gotten Perk off balance and Bynum had not smashed him while he was up in the air (2 on 1), Perkins would not have been injured on that play.
    Posted by larry1717

This is the most hilarious post!  So Kobe had both of his arms and both of his legs on perkins during that play? Do you understand how stupid that sounds? Was perkins giving him a piggy back ride or what? And Bynum came in and collided with him? They must have really practiced that numerous times to have perfected how to manage all of that with the result of perkins being injured.  LMAO

FYI, the Lakers blew the celtics off the court in that game and could have cared less about trying to injure anyone in the process...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

We need a defensive athletic center, and no, Perkins isn't the answer. He's slow and can't even dunk. Not only that, its a friken train wreck the moment he puts the ball on the floor. He was so terrible in the series against the Mav's, I'm glad we traded him.

This team can still compete for a championship but it starts with Rondo learning how to shoot the basketball, then Danny needs to pull a point guard out of his you-know-what, in the draft or by free agency. We also need an athletic center who can play defense and get rebounds. 

If the celtics can fill these holes the Celtics will be in the playoffs and competing for a title, but honestly I don't think anybody is going to beat the Heat at this point...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from larry1717. Show larry1717's posts

We need a defensive athletic center, and no, Perkins isn't the answer. He's slow and can't even dunk. Not only that, its a friken train wreck the moment he puts the ball on the floor. He was so terrible in the series against the Mav's, I'm glad we traded him. This team can still compete for a championship but it starts with Rondo learning how to shoot the basketball, then Danny needs to pull a point guard out of his you-know-what, in the draft or by free agency. We also need an athletic center who can play defense and get rebounds.  If the celtics can fill these holes the Celtics will be in the playoffs and competing for a title, but honestly I don't think anybody is going to beat the Heat at this point...
    Posted by myaim45

Rondo is probably not going to learn how to shoot a basketball much better than he shot one this year.

Finding an athletic center who can play defense and get rebounds is NOT a need according to Danny Ainge.  He has JON, Krystic and Big baby and he says they are tough, set rugged picks, can play defense, rebound and score better than Perk.  Danny sees no need to obtain another big man. 

Danny wants more players that can shoot the ball and play a #2 or #3 position.

We will probably make the playoffs next year no matter how much Danny tries to  mess things up.  However, I doubt we will get past the first round.  The window for a championship has closed thanks to Danny Ainge.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

Without some major changes like
    (1) Rondo becoming a legit offensive player
    (2) Ainge drawing a white rabbit out of his hat (favorable at the 5)
    the Cs have no legit hope for a ring next year.

The only chance that I can see for the current rooster is that a lockout shortens the season below 40 RS games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Championship window not closed yet....:
    I keep hearing how we are too old and the window has closed but I beg to differ on this.  Just browsing through the Dallas Mavericks roster and noticed overall their core guys are just as old as we are yet here they are in the Finals tied with the Heat 1-1 with home court advantage.  Here is a breakdown: Ray Allen - 35 Glen Davis - 25 KG - 35 Jeff Green - 24 Jermaine O'Neal - 32 Paul Pierce - 33 Rajon Rondo - 25 Delonte West - 27 Nenad Krsitc - 27 JJ Barea - 26 Caron Butler - 31 Tyson Chandler - 28 Brendan Haywood - 31 Jason Kidd - 38 Shawn Marion - 33 Dirk Nowitzki - 32 Deshawn Stevenson - 30 Jason Terry - 33 Basically I think if we can avoid injuries and get a solid bench we could be right back in the Finals next year.  Granted the window is closing but I think the Mavs have proved that age doesn't mean that much if you have a good bench.  With the age of the core group of guys we have we need a solid bench who can give us more minutes to give the starters more of a breather.  As much as I hate Danny Ainge I think he was right in saying we also need to learn how to close out games better.  We had Game 4 against Miami all but won but a Rondo missed layup and botched final play in regulation did us in.  A few tweaks to the roster and I think we could be in the mix next year.  But that is my concern.  We are handcuffed salary wise and Danny is not that savvy and creative when it comes to signing free agents.  Someone like a JR Smith would be a nice addition to our second unit but I am not a fan of his attitude and don't think we can afford him unless he takes the MLE.  We need that Jason Terry type guy though on our second unit that can create shots and is a pure scorer.
    Posted by rampageimt23

One of the biggest reasons the Cs got out to a great start and the 2nd or 3rd best record in the first half of the season will not be there next year.

More importantly..... age does not have to be important at all unless of course you can make some sort of correlation between age and talent........  the relative age is not a bad issue right now unless of course you couple it with talent........  KG was a factor in only one game and  Bosh basically outplayed him the rest of the series - Bosh will not likely be worse next year, LeBron will continue to be much better than Pierce, Wade will continue to be much better than Ray, Haslem will be back and healthy, the Cs will add nothing in the draft and basically nothing in the draft and may get very lucky with their MLE, etc. but had Shaq not been here this past year one could easily argue they would have lost 10 more games... Shaq will not be there next year.....

The window is not closed yet but right now nobody wants to close the windows anyway, it is summer.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

Nobody knows what will happen next year. We still have plenty of talent on this team, and we have draft picks and free agents to sign. I am more worried about the lockout...
    Posted by Kirk6

I can only assume that you are worried about the lockout to the degree that it is the only way the Cs have a chance to win a title... i.e. if there is a lockout it will favor the older more experienced teams.... if there is a 50 game season, it will favor KG, PP, Ray, J O, etc.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Re: Championship window not closed yet.... : There are many ways to win a title. None of them involve the lockout. Why do you post here? You are a Laker fan.
    Posted by Kirk6

I post here because I think the average IQ is probably around 65 and would like to try to help those that have absolutely no idea what is going on to improve their lot in life.........

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Perkins is damaged goods."

He would have been a great asset against the Heat though! At least he could have stopped the Heat layup line. 

Seriously, unless Ainge pulls a rabbit out of the hat our championship window is closed. The Mavs are a bad example because they are not beating the Heat, and if they had been in the same conference as the Heat, they would have lost to them. 

The Heat will reload in the offseason also. The Celts will be a playoff team next year but we are no longer a championship team, not unless Ainge pulls off something brilliant.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

to the DA bashers......much like Terry Francona gets praise for winning two World Series.....Danny put together the core that...

obliterated the league in '08

had the best record until Garnett went down in '09....still came close

took the Lakers to game 7 on the road...questionable calls at the end...close loss

lost to the Heat....no embarrassment at that outcome...especially considering Rondo's injury...

Danny blew up the team....Perk I could see...he said he was going the free agent route after he rejected the offer...we got the better of that deal in my opinion...the only thing I question was the trade of Luke & Semih....can't figure that one out at all....

all in all....Danny has done pretty good in my book.....Big Al, West, Gomes, Powe,  Baby.....not bad...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Nobody knows what will happen next year. We still have plenty of talent on this team, and we have draft picks and free agents to sign. I am more worried about the lockout...
    Posted by Kirk6

Well said Kirk. We've got a lot to be positive about. Hopefully Danny can get a few good acquisitions this summer. Lastly, I'm most concerned about the lock out because this is the last season the C's will have as contendors for a while. It's rebuilding time next summer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

As the team stands right now, the window is slammed shut.

The ONLY way I see this changing is if there is an abbreviated 2011-2012 season where the Big 3 doesn't have to go through an 82 game grind. If they have a 50 game season, Celtics are contenders again.

Yeah, DA could find some good supporting pieces but not enough difference makers to matter. I just don't see a path forward there...

So...since we don't know what's going to happen, I have to say that this run is over.

Sections
Shortcuts