Championship

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Re: Championship

In response to celtic213's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

Marc Stein: Latest deadline rumble: Boston exploring its Josh Smith options. The prob: Can't do it w/out Pierce. Just can't see Ainge sending PP to ATL Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Rumors tagsATLANTA HAWKSBOSTON CELTICSPAUL PIERCETRADEJOSH SMITH  |  SHARE  Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Marc Stein: KG ain't waiving no-trade clause to go to ATL. So Celts would have to part with iconic PP to get J-Smoove. So can't happen w/out more teams Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Rumors tagsATLANTA HAWKSBOSTON CELTICSPAUL PIERCETRADEJOSH SMITH  |  SHARE  Share on FacebookShare on TwitterSubscribe to HoopsHype rumors

Marc Stein: Hawks have convinced numerous teams that Josh Smith will be moved between now and Thursday 3 PM deadline. Question remains where exactly Twitter @ESPNSteinLin 

Makes sense for the Celtics moving PP for Smith first. So then since PP is gone KG will waive his no trade and send him to LA, but why would ATL want Pierce?

Maybe a 3-team deal? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celtic213. Show celtic213's posts

Maybe. Like you said It's about to get verrry interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Celtic, wouldn't it be harder to sign a max level player if the Celtics trade Pierce and Garnett away for multiple mid-level salaried players like Bledsoe and Jordan? If the Celtics line up the Pierce and Garnett contracts to end at the same time (say after two more years), they would have a ton of money to spend in that off-season, whereas if they add all these smaller pieces, they're less likely to have any cap space available.

In recent years, teams build through signing max players in free agency and trading for established disgruntled veterans, not through the draft and mid-level guys. Bledsoe and Jordan are mid-level guys. The more mid-level people you have, the less flexibility to add the top tier impact players. Therefore if the Celtics would be at roughly the same level for the next couple seasons by riding out Pierce and Garnett versus going with Bledsoe, Jordan, and whoever they get for Pierce, then I'd rather ride out Pierce and Garnett, and then sign a max level guy or two when they retire. Or even better, sign those max two guys and bring back one of Pierce or Garnett for short money as role players (something one or both of them may be willing to do if surrounded by top tier talent for a championship run).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to celtic213's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

Marc Stein: Latest deadline rumble: Boston exploring its Josh Smith options. The prob: Can't do it w/out Pierce. Just can't see Ainge sending PP to ATL Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: KG ain't waiving no-trade clause to go to ATL. So Celts would have to part with iconic PP to get J-Smoove. So can't happen w/out more teams Twitter @ESPNSteinLine

Marc Stein: Hawks have convinced numerous teams that Josh Smith will be moved between now and Thursday 3 PM deadline. Question remains where exactly Twitter @ESPNSteinLin 

Makes sense for the Celtics moving PP for Smith first. So then since PP is gone KG will waive his no trade and send him to LA, but why would ATL want Pierce?

No, I think that people have it wrong.  The Celts may be looking to move Rondo to get Josh Smith.  I believe that Danny is going All-In to see what damage they can do this year.  Rondo + Bass for Josh Smith + Lou Williams.  Throw in Barbosa and a second round pick for salary dump advantage.

There could be a three team scenario as well.  But I can't envision that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Rondo and Bass for Smith and Williams would be a tanking trade for the Hawks (at least with respect to this season), yet they're ahead of the Celtics in the standings right now. I can't see them throwing away a playoff spot and decreasing their cap flexibility for the upcoming off-season. The best thing the Hawks have going for them right now is a ton of expiring contracts. Why take themselves out of the running for Dwight Howard? They've got a real shot of pairing him up with Horford to create the kind of dominance that San Antonio briefly had with Duncan and Robinson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

In response to davidap's comment:

Rondo and Bass for Smith and Williams would be a tanking trade for the Hawks (at least with respect to this season), yet they're ahead of the Celtics in the standings right now. I can't see them throwing away a playoff spot and decreasing their cap flexibility for the upcoming off-season. The best thing the Hawks have going for them right now is a ton of expiring contracts. Why take themselves out of the running for Dwight Howard? They've got a real shot of pairing him up with Horford to create the kind of dominance that San Antonio briefly had with Duncan and Robinson.

Why will DH come to Atlanta if they don't have anybody on the roster.  How does Horford make it attractive for DH to come to Atlanta?  They will both be clogging the paint.

If Danny Ferry has decided to trade Josh Smith, he is not going to get much in return.  He has to decide if he wants the headache of signing Josh Smith next year.  Lou Williams has all the question marks that Rondo has against him.  That plus Josh Smith's impending free agency can get this deal done.  Altanta has played well without Josh in the lineup.  So Bass may be adequate for the time being.

Any way, why are we arguing.  The trade deadline is just a few days away.  I don't see KG or PP getting traded.  I see Rondo getting traded.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

To the OP, we were not a play away from winning it all.  We were a play or two from beating MIAMI.  OKC would have mopped the floor with us.  

Blow it up.  This team as constituted will not and can not win it all!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The only way this team can win a championship is if it trades Rondo and part of the return is two borderline starters who fit right in and upgrade what Sully and Barbosa were giving. Thats the tough ballhandling guard and rebound 4-5 that Doc saus we need. Otherwise, not going to happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Why will DH come to Atlanta if they don't have anybody on the roster.  How does Horford make it attractive for DH to come to Atlanta?  They will both be clogging the paint.

Size wins championships. The Lakers won because of their triumverite of Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, and Lamar Odom. They blocked shots, forced their opponents to play perimeter basketball, gobbled up every offensive rebound and got easy put-backs. Horford is mobile enough to play PF while still being an inside threat.If the Haws add Howard, it also becomes a lot easier to find other top players willing to play for a discount in an effort to chase a championship. Somebody significant who could make more money elsewhere will settle for the MLE and someone who could earn the MLE would settle for the veteran's minimum. It happens every time a superstar signs with a new team.

If Danny Ferry has decided to trade Josh Smith, he is not going to get much in return.  He has to decide if he wants the headache of signing Josh Smith next year. 

He doesn't need to re-sign Josh Smith. Josh Smith is valuable just by virtue of being a free agent whose money comes off the books. That's a heck of a lot better than killing your cap space for a significant downgrade in Brandon Bass.

Lou Williams has all the question marks that Rondo has against him. 

Then why would that make Rondo attractive to the Hawks if they're trying to get away from players of that ilk?

Any way, why are we arguing.  The trade deadline is just a few days away.  I don't see KG or PP getting traded.  I see Rondo getting traded.

I hope you're right because I think that's what would be best for the Celtics both this season and going forward. I just can't fathom how Danny Ferry could justify to Hawks fans giving up on a 29-22 record this year AND killing the team's very strong chances at signing a max player this off-season AND moving on from a free agent they signed less than a year ago, to pick up Brandon Bass?

From the Hawks' perspective Pierce makes more sense than Rondo or Bass because he's better than Smith and similarly cap-friendly. Atlanta wouldn't be prematurely removing themselves from the Dwight Howard sweepstakes by acquiring Pierce. They would be if they add Rondo and Bass.

Sections
Shortcuts