Championships by one coach and team.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Re: Championships by one coach and team.

RUWorthy, your criticism of Dr. Buss about not "respecting" the Minneapolis Lakers is petty and irrelevant. And then making the point that Bynum wears a number that a previous Minny Laker wore is also "disrespectful." Who appointed you holier than thou? 

Many players see others wear their numbers and look upon it as a badge of honor. But really, bringing up this topic about not respecting history, implying that Dr. Buss is just an opportunist because of his "failure" to acknowledge Minneapolis is really hilarious and downright petty.

There are 2 statues of former Lakers at the Staples Center--Magic and Jerry West. There are no statues of Mikan, Baylor, Chamberlain, Jabbar. Is that being disrespectful? Sadly, you are looking for any irrelevant, unsubstantiated, and ludicrous reason for denigrating the Lakers.

Why is there no STATUE of Bill Russell? He was the greatest Celtic ever but NO STATUE? That's how mundane, superficial this discussion is. But I don't try to belittle or condemn the current Celtic owners or the city of Boston for not doing so. Yet, you feel it necessary to keep bringing up Minneapolis as if that history has been swept under the rug. That isn't true but who really cares? Except for those trying to throw dirt at the Laker franchise.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

Thanks for replying Smile

I don't know. I think it's ludicrous for Lebron James to say that number 23 should be retired for each team. Which shows a complete disregard for the history of the NBA.

I think you may have hit it on the head when you said "who really cares?". How many fans care about the Minneapolis days or even the early days in Los Angeles. I do, as it's a rich history and one of the greatest histories in sports.

It's not an attempt to throw dirt, it's more a wake up call. Saying that some people out there do care about, and know the history of the team.

Have heard of players who do like the idea of others wearing their numbers. But in some cases, numbers ought to be retired. I'm not talking about retiring 18 numbers, but really, you're a key player in a franchise that was won 5 titles in 6 seasons, then really your number SHOULD be retired. If you are acknowledging that history and those championships as being your own.

The statues at Staples Centre are about right. It shouldn't become a statue park by any means. Perhaps 1 or 2 more in the foreseeable future. Thinking Mikan and Bryant (argument and a good one can be made for Shaq as he was the driving force behind three titles).

I think there will be a Russell statue. And the sooner it's done the better. Boston should get their act together and do it. If it's a question of money then I'm sure plenty of Celtic fans would donate towards it. Heck a lot of former Celtic players would and should get behind such a project.

I am criticizing Dr Buss because of this. The Minneapolis titles were only used when we started to win titles at the beginning of the last decade. If you are to use those titles, which we should have done since the move to LA. Then you should go the whole nine yards. Dr Buss was quoted in "The Lakers" book by Roland Lazenby that he didn't consider the Minneapolis titles to belong to Los Angeles and basically what happened in Minneapolis, stayed in Minneapolis. This is actually on page 93 of the book. The ISBN number for it is 1-57028-062-2. I strongly suggest you read the book and make up your mind as to when these titles became relevant to our team.

http://www.amazon.com/Lakers-Basketball-Journey-Roland-Lazenby/dp/1570280622

You really ought to read the book, it's cheap enough from Amazon and it's a really great read. In fact it's good for any fan of Basketball in general.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Nice Post!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team.:
    Thanks for replying I don't know. I think it's ludicrous for Lebron James to say that number 23 should be retired for each team. Which shows a complete disregard for the history of the NBA. I think you may have hit it on the head when you said "who really cares?". How many fans care about the Minneapolis days or even the early days in Los Angeles. I do, as it's a rich history and one of the greatest histories in sports. It's not an attempt to throw dirt, it's more a wake up call. Saying that some people out there do care about, and know the history of the team. Have heard of players who do like the idea of others wearing their numbers. But in some cases, numbers ought to be retired. I'm not talking about retiring 18 numbers, but really, you're a key player in a franchise that was won 5 titles in 6 seasons, then really your number SHOULD be retired. If you are acknowledging that history and those championships as being your own. The statues at Staples Centre are about right. It shouldn't become a statue park by any means. Perhaps 1 or 2 more in the foreseeable future. Thinking Mikan and Bryant (argument and a good one can be made for Shaq as he was the driving force behind three titles). I think there will be a Russell statue. And the sooner it's done the better. Boston should get their act together and do it. If it's a question of money then I'm sure plenty of Celtic fans would donate towards it. Heck a lot of former Celtic players would and should get behind such a project. I am criticizing Dr Buss because of this. The Minneapolis titles were only used when we started to win titles at the beginning of the last decade. If you are to use those titles, which we should have done since the move to LA. Then you should go the whole nine yards. Dr Buss was quoted in "The Lakers" book by Roland Lazenby that he didn't consider the Minneapolis titles to belong to Los Angeles and basically what happened in Minneapolis, stayed in Minneapolis. This is actually on page 93 of the book. The ISBN number for it is 1-57028-062-2. I strongly suggest you read the book and make up your mind as to when these titles became relevant to our team. http://www.amazon.com/Lakers-Basketball-Journey-Roland-Lazenby/dp/1570280622 You really ought to read the book, it's cheap enough from Amazon and it's a really great read. In fact it's good for any fan of Basketball in general.
    Posted by RUWorthy

You are absolutely 100% correct about the non-recognition.  When Cooke bought the team, he said he wanted nothing to do with the MN lakers.  I do give Buss credit for recognizing the past, but was it too little, too late?  Now the question is - do those titles belong to LA?  Much can be debated, but in my opinion, yes, they do - he bought the whole thing - they are his.  Just like OKC now "owns" one NBA title.  The ORGANIZATION, not the fans - the fans of LA don't deserve the 5 titles.  Buss can share them if he chooses.

Also, and this is again just my opinion - I believe down to the depth and breadth of my soul that once LA has 17 IN LA (and let's face it, it will happen someday), they will (probably Buss Jr.) once again say they don't want the MN titles.  That wil be a black day for fans everywhere, because it will prove the hypocrisy that we on  this board have been whining about for years does, in fact, exist.  I hope I am not around then, because I will lose what respect I have for the lakers at that point!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

Why can't you respond to posts in a polite manner? I was probably a fan of The Lakers since before you were born.
    Posted by RUWorthy

He is a classless jerk. There are laker fans here who I may not agree with but are capable of making  a point and have some class, This guy was all over the board
    untill the loosing streak by his Lakers then he comes back at the strat of the playoffs. ZERO CRED  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team. : You are absolutely 100% correct about the non-recognition.  When Cooke bought the team, he said he wanted nothing to do with the MN lakers.  I do give Buss credit for recognizing the past, but was it too little, too late?  Now the question is - do those titles belong to LA?  Much can be debated, but in my opinion, yes, they do - he bought the whole thing - they are his.  Just like OKC now "owns" one NBA title.  The ORGANIZATION, not the fans - the fans of LA don't deserve the 5 titles.  Buss can share them if he chooses. Also, and this is again just my opinion - I believe down to the depth and breadth of my soul that once LA has 17 IN LA (and let's face it, it will happen someday), they will (probably Buss Jr.) once again say they don't want the MN titles.  That wil be a black day for fans everywhere, because it will prove the hypocrisy that we on  this board have been whining about for years does, in fact, exist.  I hope I am not around then, because I will lose what respect I have for the lakers at that point!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

Hey hedley aka is acgreen or whatever you are this week, how did you get on with my Laker #17 dvd? Not heard from you so I'm guessing your dreaming up another alter-ego.

As for your respect comment, that's all nice and fluffy but unlike you I have no respect for the celtic franchise other than to say I do find snaq as funny as he used to be when he WAS a great player with the Lake Show.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team. : He is a classless jerk. There are laker fans here who I may not agree with but are capable of making  a point and have some class, This guy was all over the board untill the loosing streak by his Lakers then he comes back at the strat of the playoffs. ZERO CRED  
    Posted by genaro008

I agree 100%.  RUWorthy and QDaddy are good, rsalas is ok, but I can do without the rest.  THAT guy, who rame has called an ignorant troll, and Flobus McLiar have been on ignore for about 2 weeks with me.  Then after taking a week off, I find all these posts by him.  We should all just ignore him, he is useless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

phil is a joke compared to Red.

Red BUILT BOSTON. There is no Celtics basketball legacy without Red. 

the lakers would have been just fine without phil the chicago bull. 

Red built the team, created a new style of play, won so many championships, and he stayed with the team for 50 years or so. He was there for Russel, Hondo, Bird, and even was a big influence on Paul Pierce.

phil is an opportunist and he did damn good, but he isnt a builder or creator. He doesnt stick around in bad times. Most of all, his legacy is split between 2 cities and that just isn't as special as being with same franchise through the ups and downs.

Red is like the rich father who started out in s sweatshop working for dimes, while phil is the spoiled rich kid who inherited everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team. : Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............
    Posted by Laker-Nation32

since u wont respond in a respectful way to a very educated and smart fan (RUworthy). I will have to give what u deserve.

F U AND HAVE A NICE DAY PUNK.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Again you're just descending into a level where you shouldn't. Come on, it's not too hard to behave in a civil way. Just because you're on a forum doesn't mean you shouldn't treat people with little or no respect. You couldn't respond to the questions and links I posted previously because you can't. It's indefensible. Championship trophy caps which features a trophy that only came into being in 1977 is just wrong. It's bad history, and shows no regard for the Minneapolis team and our first team to win a title in LA. The 1971 champions. It's lazy marketing, and a poor concept. What are your opinions on this? A simple question. It's as poor as that Michael Bay Pearl Harbor film, featuring ships from the reserve fleet getting destroyed in the attack. They are clearly 'modern' ships and way advanced of anything that was afloat in 1941. Poor history and film making.
    Posted by RUWorthy

good stuff.

its like the lakers want to claim they have 16 championships, but dont even mention who was a part of the beginning and where those titles were won.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dirty52. Show dirty52's posts

Thanks for replying I don't know. I think it's ludicrous for Lebron James to say that number 23 should be retired for each team. Which shows a complete disregard for the history of the NBA. I think you may have hit it on the head when you said "who really cares?". How many fans care about the Minneapolis days or even the early days in Los Angeles. I do, as it's a rich history and one of the greatest histories in sports. It's not an attempt to throw dirt, it's more a wake up call. Saying that some people out there do care about, and know the history of the team. Have heard of players who do like the idea of others wearing their numbers. But in some cases, numbers ought to be retired. I'm not talking about retiring 18 numbers, but really, you're a key player in a franchise that was won 5 titles in 6 seasons, then really your number SHOULD be retired. If you are acknowledging that history and those championships as being your own. The statues at Staples Centre are about right. It shouldn't become a statue park by any means. Perhaps 1 or 2 more in the foreseeable future. Thinking Mikan and Bryant (argument and a good one can be made for Shaq as he was the driving force behind three titles). I think there will be a Russell statue. And the sooner it's done the better. Boston should get their act together and do it. If it's a question of money then I'm sure plenty of Celtic fans would donate towards it. Heck a lot of former Celtic players would and should get behind such a project. I am criticizing Dr Buss because of this. The Minneapolis titles were only used when we started to win titles at the beginning of the last decade. If you are to use those titles, which we should have done since the move to LA. Then you should go the whole nine yards. Dr Buss was quoted in "The Lakers" book by Roland Lazenby that he didn't consider the Minneapolis titles to belong to Los Angeles and basically what happened in Minneapolis, stayed in Minneapolis. This is actually on page 93 of the book. The ISBN number for it is 1-57028-062-2. I strongly suggest you read the book and make up your mind as to when these titles became relevant to our team. http://www.amazon.com/Lakers-Basketball-Journey-Roland-Lazenby/dp/1570280622 You really ought to read the book, it's cheap enough from Amazon and it's a really great read. In fact it's good for any fan of Basketball in general.
    Posted by RUWorthy

Another good book

http://www.amazon.com/Show-Inside-Spectacular-Angeles-Lakers/dp/0071430342/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303071963&sr=1-3

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team. : since u wont respond in a respectful way to a very educated and smart fan (RUworthy). I will have to give what u deserve. F U AND HAVE A NICE DAY PUNK.
    Posted by btownteamsrking

If the Lakers loose today he will not be on the board till we loose or they win. Qdaddy faces it when he looses and smiles when they win for that He gets my respect

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from eatinglue. Show eatinglue's posts

Lakers may lose against Hornets in game one. 3 minutes left and the game will be HISTORY.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

In Response to Re: Championships by one coach and team. : You are absolutely 100% correct about the non-recognition.  When Cooke bought the team, he said he wanted nothing to do with the MN lakers.  I do give Buss credit for recognizing the past, but was it too little, too late?  Now the question is - do those titles belong to LA?  Much can be debated, but in my opinion, yes, they do - he bought the whole thing - they are his.  Just like OKC now "owns" one NBA title.  The ORGANIZATION, not the fans - the fans of LA don't deserve the 5 titles.  Buss can share them if he chooses. Also, and this is again just my opinion - I believe down to the depth and breadth of my soul that once LA has 17 IN LA (and let's face it, it will happen someday), they will (probably Buss Jr.) once again say they don't want the MN titles.  That wil be a black day for fans everywhere, because it will prove the hypocrisy that we on  this board have been whining about for years does, in fact, exist.  I hope I am not around then, because I will lose what respect I have for the lakers at that point!
    Posted by hedleylamarr

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Hedley, this post ranks among the top 5 on this board......very nice my friend!!!

Sections
Shortcuts