Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics

In Response to Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]i'm amazed all these guys want to play together instead of competing against each other. most of these guys lack that winning instinct that bird, magic, and jordan had. out of the whole miami team, wade is the only one with it. I think carmelo has it a bit.
    Posted by PierceIsTheTruth[/QUOTE]

These guys know that competing against each other with only themselves as the star does NOT win championships.  You talk about the competitiveness of Bird or Magic but remember Bird had McHale, Parish, DJ, Danny, etc.  Magic had Kareem, Cooper, Byron Scott, Worthy, etc.   Duncan had Robinson, Elliott, Manu, Parker.   These guys all are playing by themselves (CP3 is the only legit potential hall of famer on that team).   Same for Denver.   Amare at least had Nash with him.  Lebron was a one man show and same for Wade.  They got tired of watching (and getting beat by) KG, Paul, Ray, and Rondo or Duncan, Parker, Ginobli (who beat Lebron in the finals) or Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum.  

It takes at least 3 stars or overachievers to win a championship and these new players know that.   The league got watered down over the last 15 years so this is their way of trying to build a team that really competes.   CP3 knows that if he doesn't team with some stars - he's toast in terms of a championship.  Same for Howard.

In many ways KG, Ray, and Paul helped show the way (even though they didn't do it themselves - Danny did it).  Remember, KG wasn't coming here until he saw Paul and Ray here together!

Net, net - these guys want to be like Bird and Magic.  Only Michael had the advantage of winning in a weak league as the primary superstar on his team.  Even he couldn' beat the Pistons nor Celtics in his early years by himself!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Just do the trade and bring CP3 to Boston, even if it's only for 1 year. If he leaves then the Celts just freed up 17.8m worth of cap space.
    Posted by Fiercest34[/QUOTE]

100% agree...F him!!  They have 66 games plus playoffs to get him to change his mind.  KG didn't want to come here, either......we take care of our heroes here, and if it's only for a year, we can get Nash or Billups next year.....we should actually INCREASE the offer  - tell them we'll take Okafor, too!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

I n Response to Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics:
    [QUOTE]paul is a great player, but he probobaly only has a couple good years left until his knee injury catches up to him, if danny really thinks adding cp3 will make us championship contenders this year then i guess im on board, although i am a rondo fan..if cp3 ends up here i think the one year deal is a good option for both sides because we dont know how his knee will hold up...and he doesnt get locked into a long term contract with the big 3's nba lifetime coming to an end very shortly...but remember that KG didnt want to sign an extension when he first got here and now hes a total celtic
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

I agree with your post,   Go Celtics

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Net, net - these guys want to be like Bird and Magic.  Only Michael had the advantage of winning in a weak league as the primary superstar on his team.  Even he couldn' beat the Pistons nor Celtics in his early years by himself!

There was the 2006 Pistons team that essentially won without any superstars. The 2011 Mavericks won with only one superstar (Dirk Nowitzki).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

" Celtics hater Stern is all about.
    Its ok for the Lakers, the Miami, the NY and the rest of the NBA to get better but not the green.
    He hates the green."

ha yeah that's why Stern stopped KG from coming to the Celts even though it was a steal. 

Get real. What Stern cares about is TV ratings. The NBA is more dynamic with the Celtics as a good team and Celts/Lakers is still the biggest TV pull. If Stern loves the Knicks why have they had such little luck in the draft lottery. It wasn't Stern's fault Perk got injured and couldn't play in Game 7 and bring back another ring.

"There was the 2006 Pistons team that essentially won without any superstars. The 2011 Mavericks won with only one superstar (Dirk Nowitzki)."

Right but the 2006 Pistons were an aberration reliant on an imploding and injured Lakers team. Pistons couldn't win again despite the same personnel. The Mavs only won because the Heat choked, the Heat had that series. Congrats to the Mavs I was happy for them but like the Pistons the Mavs aren't repeating. You need a couple stars. 

Look folks, Paul might not want to sign long term with the Celtics but Ainge has to pursue it. He's pursuing it because he's looking beyond the Big Three and feels rightly that Paul would be a better building block than Rondo. Ainge also feels he can get Paul to sign on in conjunction with Dwight Howard. More power to him to try. I'm slightly wary of Paul's injury prone nature but Ainge has every preroragative to pursue Paul. Having said that I think he may have to trade Rondo anyhow as this may be the final blow to Rondo's attitude about the C's. In that regard Ainge is playing a high stakes game as it may become difficult to get fair trade value for Rondo. 

But that's what Ainge does, he goes for the jugular. Sometimes unfortunately he makes the wrong move. There were talks of an OKC thing this year that would have Perk coming back in exchange for Green (as part of a larger deal). Doubt it's true but it wouldn't surprise me either, in that Danny is not afraid to cut his losses and try again. It makes for a problematic but certainly entertaining ride. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

ha yeah that's why Stern stopped KG from coming to the Celts even though it was a steal. 

KG pickled in Minny and no way out.
    At that time, budding young Jefferson was very attractive as a solution for the team.
    Not a shabby trade at that time.
    KG is old and time to be recycled....that's the reason why stupid Stern approved the trade.
    If ain't old and excellent ball player, ain't going to celtics.

History learned  from Lewis & Bias. Followed A 20 years Celtics drought because of Sternzhyte hate with the celtics.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Im surprised some people are willing to rent out cp3, as if a slight improvemnt in pg play will net us a championship. We have a very good young pg in rondo whos locked up at a reasonable contract. We need some front court depth and a lockdown permiter defender. Not a pg with bad knees who doesnt want to be here.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with you.  If Paul doesn't want to sign with the Celtics why would anyone want him for one year.  Then the Celtics need to acquire someone else.  It definitely isn't a good idea.  Acquiring a backup center is more important than trading Rondo. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think it's a good thing that Danny is exploring all options.  As much as I like Chris Paul, I think Rondo is a better true PG.  Chris Paul is the better player and a better scorer, but he'll cost a lot and I'm not sure you can really build a team around a smallish player with a bad knee.  Without really sitting back and doing my salary cap homework, I think it would be easier to rebuild with Rondo's team-friendly contract, and whomever the C's can bring in via FA will benefit from playing with Rondo.  Paul dominates the ball because he can, and he's a great player, it's just that I think Rondo is 90% of the player Paul is at half of what it would cost to re-sign Paul.     

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MajorMajor. Show MajorMajor's posts

[QUOTE]ha yeah that's why Stern stopped KG from coming to the Celts even though it was a steal.  KG pickled in Minny and no way out. At that time, budding young Jefferson was very attractive as a solution for the team. Not a shabby trade at that time. KG is old and time to be recycled....that's the reason why stupid Stern approved the trade. If ain't old and excellent ball player, ain't going to celtics. History learned  from Lewis & Bias. Followed A 20 years Celtics drought because of Sternzhyte hate with the celtics.    
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

You're one pucked up son of a beach!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Net, net - the se guys want to be like Bird and Magic.  Only Michael had the advantage of winning in a weak league as the primary superstar on his team.  Even he couldn' beat the Pistons nor Celtics in his early years by himself! There was the 2006 Pistons team that essentially won without any superstars. The 2011 Mavericks won with only one superstar (Dirk Nowitzki).
    Posted by davidap[/QUOTE]

So are you suggesting that the exceptions who won championships are the model these guys should shoot for?

Moreover, you must not have been around at that time if you think the Pistons didn't have stars.  Their lineup was Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Rick Mahorn, Vinne Johnson, a guy named Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, John Salley, and Mark Aguirre.  You think that isn't better than Lebron's or CP3's supporting casts at Cleveland and NO???  That team went 63 wins and only 19 losses !!    The Mavs had Tyson Chandler, Jason Kidd, and Jason Terry to go with Dirk.   How do you think that compares to Daniel Gibson, Big Z, Mo Williams, and Andy Varejao?   Lebron was on a island by himself. 

I don't like it being orchastrated by the players themselves, but I understand their desire to play with one or tow other stars to really have a chance at a championship.   Cleveland's owner should have recruited another star or two and Lebron would still be in Cleveland today!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

I guess at this point, if this deal led to championship #18 I'd be all for it....as was said last season...the goal each year is to win the championship....if we accomplish that then we move on and continue the process....the "Big 3" will soon become a memory just like the original "Big 3".....play for the win now....then build for the future....maybe, just maybe CP3 likes it in Boston.....stranger things have happened  (see Len Bias and Reggie Lewis)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

so can I keep my Rondo jersey?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

So are you suggesting that the exceptions who won championships are the model these guys should shoot for?

Moreover, you must not have been around at that time if you think the Pistons didn't have stars.  Their lineup was Isiah Thomas, Joe Dumars, Rick Mahorn, Vinne Johnson, a guy named Dennis Rodman, Bill Laimbeer, John Salley, and Mark Aguirre.

I didn't realize those guys were on the 2006 championship Pistons team I referenced.

The Mavs had Tyson Chandler, Jason Kidd, and Jason Terry to go with Dirk.  

Tyson Chandler and Jason Terry are not superstars. They're very good complementary players. The Jason Kidd of today is no longer a superstar either. Of course a team needs a strong supporting cast to win a championship. The contention, however, was that a team needs three superstars to win an NBA title. I disagree. Two is generally sufficient, it can happen with just one, and sometimes even none (the '06 Pistons). It would obviously be easier to win if you accumulate two or three elite players, but the Celtics need a backup plan for the likelihood that they won't be able to amass that volume of talent.

How do you think that compares to Daniel Gibson, Big Z, Mo Williams, and Andy Varejao?   Lebron was on a island by himself.

Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Mo Williams have both been All-Stars and Anderson Varejao is an effective scrappy bigman who might be top-10 at his position in the league (granted, the 5 slot no longer brims with talent). The Cavaliers could have, and should have, won at least one title during LeBron James' tenure. Their failure to win in the playoffs falls on him more than on the other players. The role players were phenomenal in the post-season. It was James who disappeared at the end of key games. It was James who quit on his team.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Ok, then tell me whether you'd bet your paycheck on Lebron's Cavs team or the Mavs team with Kidd, Terry, and Chandler. Second paycheck on Chris Paul's Hornets vs the 2006 Pistons team (even though that wasn't the Pistons team in my original post about the old Bird Celtics, Magic Lakers, and Isiah Pistons that Jordan couldn't beat because they were too deep in talent). Which ones are deeper and better. Be honest with yourself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

CP3, Wade, Lebron, Carmelo, Amare, Howard, etc just want to be like Byrd, Magic, KG, Kobe, and Duncan - play with a lot of talent because that's what made for great teams.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, the Pistons won a championship in 2004, not 2006. In 2006 it was Shaq and Wade vs. Dirk in the Finals.

Actually  it was Shaq, Wade, and the zebras against Dirk.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Guys, the Pistons won a championship in 2004, not 2006. In 2006 it was Shaq and Wade vs. Dirk in the Finals.

Good correction, Fierce. I didn't catch that when he brought it up. 

The main point still stands.......These mid-career stars want to have more talent behind them because they've now grown up a little now and they realize that being the superstar of the team all by yourself yields money but no championship.  They want both money AND a championship so they know they have to team up to do it.  The owners of Cleveland and former owners of New Orleans would have to have built a team with a better supporting cast in order to keep their stars.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics : Good correction, Fierce. I didn't catch that when he brought it up.  The main point still stands.......These mid-career stars want to have more talent behind them because they've now grown up a little now and they realize that being the superstar of the team all by yourself yields money but no championship.  They want both money AND a championship so they know they have to team up to do it.  The owners of Cleveland and former owners of New Orleans would have to have built a team with a better supporting cast in order to keep their stars.  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Right on the money.

Then again, there are the Mavs with one legit superstar and a good supporting cast. Chemistry and team play can get it done however, its a raity these days.
    Stars today dont have the patience to build a championship and owners maybe dont know how.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Chris Paul wouldn't sign with the Celtics : Right on the money. Then again, there are the Mavs with one legit superstar and a good supporting cast. Chemistry and team play can get it done however, its a raity these days. Stars today dont have the patience to build a championship and owners maybe dont know how.
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

I think they know how, but it is difficult when guys keep leaving

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Well, Woods stayed 7 years so IMO he stayed long enough. Bird, Duncan, Magic, Shaq, and Jabbar didn't have to wait past their 8th year to see great teammates to play with. I'm not saying I like what Lebron and James did, but I do understand their motivation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I meant "what Lebron and Wade did".

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]Well, Woods stayed 7 years so IMO he stayed long enough. Bird, Duncan, Magic, Shaq, and Jabbar didn't have to wait past their 8th year to see great teammates to play with. I'm not saying I like what Lebron and James did, but I do understand their motivation.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Who's Woods?
    IF you mean James....he made the Finals once and the ECF twice in the last 3 years he was in CLE...............seems to me he didn't leave a horrible team.  CP3 MAY leave a bad team, and Bosh did...but CLE had the best record in the regular season when he left!