Clifford Ray is out, Kevin McHale....in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

Re: Clifford Ray is out, Kevin McHale....in?

Where are you getting this info?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In Response to Re: Clifford Ray is out, Kevin McHale....in?:
    Sorry, here's the link: http://celticshub.com/2010/09/09/assistant-coach-clifford-ray-leaving-the-team/ My above post is a "hope-it-happens" thing. What's your take on it?
    Posted by fiorelladad

To lose Clifford would be a really big loss as the article said! I wonder why he would be leaving....... McHale was a great inside move offensive player but I wonder how he would fill the defensive void Clifford would leave, if he even wanted the job, of which I am in doubt. Ask KG!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

losing Cliff is a tough  pill, so that's 2 assistant coaches gone now?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Lets hope the guy is wrong! Clifford Ray is just as important as Doc he takes the big guys and teaches them the inside game. I love Kevin but he's not in Clifford's class as a coach, if the Celtics are looking for a replacement coach I'd rather they bring in Cowens,Parrish or Maxwell as all three of these guys were better defensive players than McHale. Benbow is a good writer so he might be right.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poopsteo. Show poopsteo's posts

I was pretty P.Oed when thibs left and DOC was thinking about retirement. If he would have left and Thibs went to the bulls who would be our coach?????

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 17. Show 17's posts

With all due respect, Kevin McHale is a good coach, and this he proved with Minnesota when he took over the bench chores.  The win-loss record may not have reflected it but he's similar to Doc Rivers in that he got the most out of his players.  It was McHale who tutored Kevin Love and further developed Al Jefferson when he moved to Minnesota with that Kevin Garnett trade, and I have no doubt he will do as well as Cliff Ray has in mentoring the Celtics' bigs.  I even think he can be an excellent successor to Doc if he decides to hang it up after this coming season.  Kevin is a players' coach who will inspire his guys and push the right buttons at the appropriate time.  And, I'd like to correct what you said that Kevin paled in comparison to Dave Cowens, Robert Parish and Cedric Maxwell on the defensive end.  While those trio were all excellent defenders, McHale trumped them on that side of the court.  McHale in fact earned six All-Defensive Team citations (three First Team and three Second Team) while Cowens just had three (one First and two Second) and Parish and Max had none.

Bert Ramirez a.k.a. 17

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Kevin McHale would be taking a job with a huge cut in pay and status as compared to him being the top guy with the Wolves being G.M and head coach. I would be very surprised if Kevin would take a job as an assistant coach.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiasLewis. Show BiasLewis's posts

Ray is a good coach for young guys. This team now has a bunch of vets so I'm not sure how affective he would still be.

I would like to see someone like Mahorn or Paul Silas come in. It should be someone to keep the vet bigs motivated, not so much as a teacher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

Kevin was a great player, however, he has had less success as a coach.

I have two problems with Kevin as a coach. The first is that he tries to teach his moves to others and they don't work for others. He tried to teach KG his moves, and KG would get called for travelling by the Refs. So instead, KG copied Olijuwan's moves. Mchales footwork (moving his pivot foot, an illegal move for anyone else, but it was legal for Mchale) can not be transfered to others because it was a "Star Call" for McHale, just like traveling is allowed for LeBron.

Secondly, their may still be some bad blood between KG and McHale at this point. When KG first came to Boston, he was not very happy with Wolves management. That may have changed now that KG loves the Celtics.

The ability to teach is not implied by great skill on the court. Clifford Ray is a teacher, and deserves credit.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Clap, clap.. clap clap clap.. Scalabrine!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

The Celtics need to bring in someone who can help improve the offensive skills of their young bigs.  Cliff Ray is not the guy.  In his NBA prime, CR was an offensively-challenged player, relying mostly on dunks for his scoring. He was also a below average free throw shooter. For those who were not yet around during Cliff's playing career, you only have to watch Perk play and you'll get the general idea. (Credit him, however, for developing the physical toughness and ruggedness of both Perk and Baby.) I'm not saying that McHale is the right man for the job, but he was a better coach than he was an executive. KG may have his issues with McHale, but he can't deny having learned significantly from him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

Whether or not Ray could do it himself  is more a question of his abilities and not his ability to coach. McHale may have been a much better player, but Ray is a very good coach.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

In Response to Re: Clifford Ray is out, Kevin McHale....in?:
    if the Celtics are looking for a replacement coach I'd rather they bring in Cowens,Parrish or Maxwell as all three of these guys were better defensive players than McHale.
    Posted by sportsbozo1

Even if you're right, being a better player means nothing.  All 4 were better players than Thibodeau.  It means nothing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

McHale is way overqualified for Clifford Ray's job.  It'd be great if it happens though.  Mchale was very underrated as a head coach.  Just look what Minnesota did with Mchale coaching, and then look at what they did the very next season with Rambis coaching. 

McHale  20-43  (18-23 with Al Jefferson in the lineup)
    Rambis  15-67

McHale's coaching record doesn't look all that good.  But when you look at what he had to work with, and then look at what Rambis did with almost the same roster, you can see McHale got the most out of his team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GetYourSoxOn. Show GetYourSoxOn's posts

McHale is done with coaching as long as he has his broadcasting gig.  He didn't like the travel and only went back to coaching at Minnesota because it was either that or nothing.  Remember, that was head coach, not bigs coach.

I agree with pinnacle, McHale is overqualified for any assistant coaching position.

Robert "The Chief" Parish anyone?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief, Chief.

Sections
Shortcuts