Co-owner Steve Pagliuca on 'fireworks' and Rondo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Co-owner Steve Pagliuca on 'fireworks' and Rondo

“ ‘Fireworks’ means that Danny is fearless in trying to get something done,” Pagliuca said. “Wyc meant that there would be a lot of activity, and there’s still a lot of time to go. A lot of teams assess what they have and what they need after going through training camp.”

and

"Celtics ownership prefers to keep Rondo through his next contract, which would begin in the fall of 2015."

From Mark Murphy in today's Herald

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Co-owner Steve Pagliuca on 'fireworks' and Rondo

In response to rameakap's comment:

“ ‘Fireworks’ means that Danny is fearless in trying to get something done,” Pagliuca said. “Wyc meant that there would be a lot of activity, and there’s still a lot of time to go. A lot of teams assess what they have and what they need after going through training camp.”

and

"Celtics ownership prefers to keep Rondo through his next contract, which would begin in the fall of 2015."

The Celtics have very little going on. The guard laden team will be interesting on a level, but there lack of upside is going to make this season a hard one for people expecting change.  Those draft picks need to come to fruition and see the Net, Clips and Celtics flounder.  We can trade them or draft some real transformational people.  Very hard to take, but we would not trade the five years of relevance we got with Danny's moves in 2007.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

and

[/QUOTE]

Murphy article reads more precisely.....

"And at least for the record, Celtics ownership prefers to keep Rondo through his next contract, which would begin in the fall of 2015."

Pud

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

The Celtics will be bad for awhile, leaving them with little choice but to re-sign Rondo to max level dollars and let him pursue assist records as the lone star attraction. He'll be the late 90s/early 00s Paul Pierce for the rest of the 10s. The team needs at least one draw. Rondo probably won't mind because he already has his ring, would rather maximize his earnings, and maybe can ride someone else's cottails in his sunset years when the Celtics are finally ready to contend.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

That would be just great

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Don't get your hopes tooooo high for next year.  We are likely tanking but for what?  And what is our chance of getting it if it becomes open?   And can drafting late in the lottery produce what we need, I doubt it.  Players like Rondo, Green, Turner, Sullinger, and whoever will need to turn into diamonds.  It might just happen stay tuned for many years, mabey 20 or so?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

You cant tank with a Rondo, Green, Sullinger on your team. These guys are too good. Sullinger and Green are going to open a lot of eyes this season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Green opened my eyes some time ago.  Must be a Zen of Fireworks thing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You cant tank with a Rondo, Green, Sullinger on your team. These guys are too good. Sullinger and Green are going to open a lot of eyes this season.

[/QUOTE]

Last years team was a mediocre 35 win club that was the Bass/Lee for Asik trade away from maybe taking the Atlantic from Toronto. Had the offer to the Rockets been Bass, Crawford, Bogans, Faverani and the Clippers 1st rd pick in 2015, for Asik and Lin, instead of Lee's 2 years left, perhaps the Rockets would have bitten.

C- Asik, Olynyk

PF - Sully, Hump

SF - Green, Wallace (still needed surgery/replacement)

SG - Bradley, Lee

PG - Rondo, Lin

Obviously it was not better for this teams future to be a 1st/2nd rd 40-45 win team. Danny made the Lee for Bayless swap, trading a glue guy meant to be on a winner for a gunner with bad D and +/- PER #'s who is always on losers. Then Faverani and Wallace, the tough guys, both got hurt.

There was a mandate to tank the last 50 games or so last season. It was 'play hard but lose in the end'. 

Is that going to be the case this year?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If they actually try to win, this team should be better than the one that played .500 ball for the first 20 games or so last year right?

- Everyone 23-25 should be expected to improve a little, this is Turner, Bradley and Zeller. I'd rather have Zeller than Hump and Turner than the Wallace/Johnson duo that backed Green last year. 

- Sully and Olynyk should be expected to improve a lot considering Sully is 22 and basically missed his rookie year and Oly has a much better body and despite being 23 is going into his 2nd year (not 5th like AB at the same age) and there is always a big jump there.

- Faverani should be healthy and he'll be more comfortable in the league, and if he provides slight improvements on last years per 36 #'s in 18 mins, he'll give very good rim protection 6ppg, 5rpg, 1bpg on 50FG/70FT %'s. 

- I'd rather have Smart than Crawford or Bayless. I think he will be better than either of them as well in terms of overall impact with his D, winning attitude, etc. reflected in +/- numbers. 

- Green, Rondo and Bass are 28 years old and in the middle of their primes. We should not expect a drop in their play. Rondo should get back to pre-ACL form with hopefully better shooting %'s and defense more like his 2009-2010 self. 

- Lee is like Thornton, who is a slightly better shooter but not a better player. There was no room for Lee when Rondo came back, and there may be no room for Thornton if Turner, Bradley and Smart get all the SG mins, so this roster spot matters little.

In the end, there is little chance that this team is worse than last years that won 25. If a rotation is settled on and there are no injuries or a mandate to 'try hard but lose in the end'. They are still not as talented as somewhere between 18-22 other rosters in the league, so in the end tanking may be required to jump from that awful 11-13th pick to 5th-7th pick range with better odds of going top 3. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

They also have other peoples' picks the next few years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

and

[/QUOTE]

"And at least for the record, Celtics ownership prefers to keep Rondo through his next contract, which would begin in the fall of 2015."

Pud

[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!...Amazing how the Rondo Youth Brigade grasps on every possible interpretation of CYA comments from management and ownership about the little malcontent like it's a life raft. This kind of "support" is no more than the kiss of death meant to prop up Wee Devilman PG's flagging market value. The bare faced reality is that no one wants to come here and play with him and nobody wants him bad enough to make a deal for him. It's never about what teams or players say about wanting to play with the clown, it's what they do - or do not do - that counts.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to billge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Green opened my eyes some time ago.  Must be a Zen of Fireworks thing.

[/QUOTE]

Mine too...I haven't seen that much gutless and inconsistent play EVER from a supposed "star" in the NBA!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

and

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!...Amazing how the Rondo Youth Brigade grasps on every possible interpretation of CYA comments from management and ownership about the little malcontent like it's a life raft.

[/QUOTE]

This was not a CYA quote from management/ownership wanting to keep Rondo although it appears to be at first glance a lead-pipe cinch preference from Pagliuca's own lips.

It was  Mark Murphy's slant on the story behind the story... minus the qualifying clause.... "At least for the record" and that changes everything.

Very misleading OP.

Pud

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

and

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

LMFAO!...Amazing how the Rondo Youth Brigade grasps on every possible interpretation of CYA comments from management and ownership about the little malcontent like it's a life raft.

[/QUOTE]

This was not a CYA quote from management/ownership wanting to keep Rondo although it appears to be at first glance a lead-pipe cinch preference from Pagliuca's own lips.

It was  Mark Murphy's slant on the story behind the story... minus the qualifying clause.... "At least for the record" and that changes everything.

Very misleading OP.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I prefer the team trade Rondo now that adding other stars is highly unlikely. The board knows this.

The second quote was Murphy's of course, that is why I separated it from Pagliuca's with an 'and'.

Obviously everything told to a reporter where he can use the person's name is 'on the record' so I hardly found that part worth including.

If it had been a different person than Pagliuca's 'off the record' opinion written by Murphy as being told to him by unnamed source I obviously would have put that. But the second quote is clearly Murphy's take on what Pagluica is 'on the record' as saying. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Count me in the camp that believes that the Celts will have a better year this year than the last.  In general the roster still has big holes.  But some aspects are much better.  Rondo and Sullinger are returning at full strength.  Olly has one more year under his belt.  Players have had a year acclimatize to Brad's style.  Wallace is probably the only player who does not want to be here.  Others are gone.

The final record will only be slightly better (+4 games), primarily because Marcus Smart and James Young will be in discovery mode.  But I expect that the momentum in the second half of the season will be quite refreshing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"We are likely tanking but for what?"

Because getting a 7 or 8 seed in the east and getting slammed in the first round doesn't get it done. 

Ainge has shown he is good at drafting and accumulating assets, even if he isn't at the perfect spot. But yeah, we may be bad for a while. That's how it goes in the NBA

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because getting a 7 or 8 seed in the east and getting slammed in the first round doesn't get it done. 

Ainge has shown he is good at drafting and accumulating assets, even if he isn't at the perfect spot. But yeah, we may be bad for a while. That's how it goes in the NBA

[/QUOTE]

THIS^ PLUS!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

I prefer the team trade Rondo now that adding other stars is highly unlikely. The board knows this.

The second quote was Murphy's of course, that is why I separated it from Pagliuca's with an 'and'.

Obviously everything told to a reporter where he can use the person's name is 'on the record' so I hardly found that part worth including.

If it had been a different person than Pagliuca's 'off the record' opinion written by Murphy as being told to him by unnamed source I obviously would have put that. But the second quote is clearly Murphy's take on what Pagluica is 'on the record' as saying. 

[/QUOTE]

Rame.... you cannot misquote Mark Murphy, making it appear that what he is writing comes from the mouth of Pagliuca.

Murphy has concerns about Pagliuca's  "on the record" comments about Rondo that completely disappear based on your careful choice of words excerpted from the Murphy article.

Considering that you are such a stickler for accuracy, this makes my head spin.

You should not change the rules for using quotation marks in mid-stream w/o explanation.

Include the entire article next time and highlight those portions that you think deserve comment... and then go at it.

Pud

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't get your hopes tooooo high for next year.  We are likely tanking but for what?  And what is our chance of getting it if it becomes open?   And can drafting late in the lottery produce what we need, I doubt it.  Players like Rondo, Green, Turner, Sullinger, and whoever will need to turn into diamonds.  It might just happen stay tuned for many years, mabey 20 or so?

[/QUOTE]

Jahlil Okafor

Karl Towns

Cliff Alexander

if we miss out on a big, Stanley Johnson is going to be a Jabari Parker level SF prospect who will be in the 4-6 range. He would be my first choice actually.

And I agree that winning 20-28 games and getting a top 8 or so pick would be more productive and valuable than winning 35 games, getting a weak draft position, and getting blown out in the first round of the playoffs. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This does look like a minimum 2-3 years build.  But getting a 7 or 8 seed in 2014-15 is not so bad: kids need experience, both regular season and playoffs.  Also, none of us really has a clue as to what moves would be made over 2014-16 period that could result in a more competitive team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

Rame.... you cannot misquote Mark Murphy, making it appear that what he is writing comes from the mouth of Pagliuca.

Murphy has concerns about Pagliuca's  "on the record" comments about Rondo that completely disappear based on your careful choice of words excerpted from the Murphy article.

You should not change the rules for using quotation marks in mid-stream w/o explanation.

Include the entire article next time and highlight those portions that you think deserve comment... and then go at it.

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say Pud, I'll try to do my best to make my posts less misleading so you are not confused next time. I get slammed when my posts are too lengthy and then slammed when I leave things I feel are obvious out so they stay shorter. Yikes...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Jahlil Okafor

Karl Towns

Cliff Alexander

if we miss out on a big, Stanley Johnson is going to be a Jabari Parker level SF prospect who will be in the 4-6 range. He would be my first choice actually.

And I agree that winning 20-28 games and getting a top 8 or so pick would be more productive and valuable than winning 35 games, getting a weak draft position, and getting blown out in the first round of the playoffs. 

[/QUOTE]

Johnson would be my choice as well, but his game is not like Parker's at all. It is more like Aaron Gordon's, who he coincidentally replaces at Arizona. He's being compared to Ron Artest and Trevor Ariza. 

Parker they said could score in the NBA out of high school and it was (is) his defense that is a big concern. Johnson can defend NBA players right now (so scouts say) but his flat ugly shot needs work. He is a winner (4 state titles) and the perfect 4th-5th best player on a contender. 

He'd be the guy who shuts down LeBron, Melo and Durant when those 3 are in their early to mid 30's as the C's finally reach contender status again in 2018-19 or so. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Whatever you say Pud, I'll try to do my best to make my posts less misleading so you are not confused next time. I get slammed when my posts are too lengthy and then slammed when I leave things I feel are obvious out so they stay shorter. Yikes...

[/QUOTE]Your original post was less than 75 words.

Hardly lengthy.

Sparse and misleading, particularly for an old fool like Pud.

A simple link to the Murphy article would have been OK.... for context/accuracy sake.

Slammed for being "lengthy?" Get over it. 

Those who complain about your posts being lengthy are those whose notion of a meaningful post typically consists of  "Bingo," "HaHaHa!" ... and little else.

Accuracy first... otherwise, what's the point?

Pud

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]Your original post was less than 75 words.

Hardly lengthy.

Sparse and misleading, particularly for an old fool like Pud.

A simple link to the Murphy article would have been OK.... for context/accuracy sake.

Slammed for being "lengthy?" Get over it. 

Those who complain about your posts being lengthy are those whose notion of a meaningful post typically consists of  "Bingo," "HaHaHa!" ... and little else.

Accuracy first... otherwise, what's the point?

Pud

[/QUOTE]

I had no idea my mother posted here.

Sections
Shortcuts